680 users online (91 members and 589 guests)  


The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News


Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 174
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    4,078

    First-Hand Impressions / WS Meetup

    First, a heartfelt THANK YOU to Reddress58 for helping to spearhead our get together this morning. She also provided valuable guidance and a tour of the area. I took pictures, which I'll link to when I get them together.

    We saw the dump site and it's a very different 'feel' than what pictures can show you. First of all it's small back there. Everything seems so much larger when you look at pics. The dump area is right off the side of the cul de sac turnaround...maybe 10 ft away, and there's a tiny embankment, and if you were walking nearby you might not immediately notice a body since it would be hidden by the embankment. However a dog would easily be attracted to a body there.

    Beyond and all around the runoff pond there is *very heavy* tree coverage/brush. My immediate impression is THAT would have been the place to put a body if you wanted to hide your victim cause it is thick and heavily overgrown and I don't think anyone would be found for a long time. My feeling is that this was a quick 'dump' and run. Plus at night/early morning (prior to 6am) it would be pitch black back there--there are no lights so whoever did this likely dumped during that time and they would not have seen the heavy brush beyond, which would have been a more logical place to 'hide' a body.

    We drove down Holly Springs Road and there is no way someone would ever choose to go jogging down that road. It is busy/heavily traveled, with no sidewalks at all, and only a few inches to separate you and cars on either side. We did see a few bikers out.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by SleuthyGal View Post
    First, a heartfelt THANK YOU to Reddress58 for helping to spearhead our get together this morning. She also provided valuable guidance and a tour of the area. I took pictures, which I'll link to when I get them together.

    We saw the dump site and it's a very different 'feel' than what pictures can show you. First of all it's small back there. Everything seems so much larger when you look at pics. The dump area is right off the side of the cul de sac turnaround...maybe 10 ft away, and there's a tiny embankment, and if you were walking nearby you might not immediately notice a body since it would be hidden by the embankment. However a dog would easily be attracted to a body there.

    Beyond and all around the runoff pond there is *very heavy* tree coverage/brush. My immediate impression is THAT would have been the place to put a body if you wanted to hide your victim cause it is thick and heavily overgrown and I don't think anyone would be found for a long time. My feeling is that this was a quick 'dump' and run. Plus at night/early morning (prior to 6am) it would be pitch black back there--there are no lights so whoever did this likely dumped during that time and they would not have seen the heavy brush beyond, which would have been a more logical place to 'hide' a body.

    We drove down Holly Springs Road and there is no way someone would ever choose to go jogging down that road. It is busy/heavily traveled, with no sidewalks at all, and only a few inches to separate you and cars on either side. We did see a few bikers out.

    Thanks for the update. That is so cool you all got to meet and do a field trip of the scene. Please do post pics! I wish I could have been there - alas, I am 14 hours away.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by SleuthyGal View Post
    First, a heartfelt THANK YOU to Reddress58 for helping to spearhead our get together this morning. She also provided valuable guidance and a tour of the area. I took pictures, which I'll link to when I get them together.

    We saw the dump site and it's a very different 'feel' than what pictures can show you. First of all it's small back there. Everything seems so much larger when you look at pics. The dump area is right off the side of the cul de sac turnaround...maybe 10 ft away, and there's a tiny embankment, and if you were walking nearby you might not immediately notice a body since it would be hidden by the embankment. However a dog would easily be attracted to a body there.

    Beyond and all around the runoff pond there is *very heavy* tree coverage/brush. My immediate impression is THAT would have been the place to put a body if you wanted to hide your victim cause it is thick and heavily overgrown and I don't think anyone would be found for a long time. My feeling is that this was a quick 'dump' and run. Plus at night/early morning (prior to 6am) it would be pitch black back there--there are no lights so whoever did this likely dumped during that time and they would not have seen the heavy brush beyond, which would have been a more logical place to 'hide' a body.

    We drove down Holly Springs Road and there is no way someone would ever choose to go jogging down that road. It is busy/heavily traveled, with no sidewalks at all, and only a few inches to separate you and cars on either side. We did see a few bikers out.
    It sure would have been pitch black back there - which gets me to thinking whether he really could have driven right back there without his lights on. Wouldn't there be a strong chance he would run off the road? I can see driving down Fielding without lights - not totally convinced about the cul-de-sac. Seems like he would have at least had to have his running lights on.

    So, that makes me think even more that he knew where the place was and how the roads turned.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    96
    Sorry I couldn't make it. The dog threw up all night and we had to go to the vet this morning. Hope to see you next time.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    middle tennessee
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by wirehair View Post
    Sorry I couldn't make it. The dog threw up all night and we had to go to the vet this morning. Hope to see you next time.
    Since the Java Jive is about 500 mi. away I didn't get in on the meet-up either. I hope it was productive and can't wait to see pix!
    Gosh Wirehair, hope your pooch is okay!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    745
    This morning was an eye-opener. All in attendance agreed that NC would NOT run along Holly Springs Rd. and, therefore, her body was transported to the area where it was found. Also, there is one street light on that particular cul-de-sac, but since there is no development that far back, I doubt it would have been on the wee hours of Friday morning. All in all, a perfect scenerio for dumping a body without being detected. It may have been days before anyone found it if the gentleman walker had not decided to take a LOOONNNGGG walk. It is quite a distance from any completed, occupied homes. Yes, a construction worker could have spotted it soon enough, but no houses have been started or lots cleared on that particular cul-de-sac. Luckily, the man had his dog because if you didn't walk closer to the edge of the pavement, it would have been hard to spot the body from the street. I believe he said the dog drew his attention to walk in that direction.

    Anyway, thanks to everyone for coming out and "holding my hand" while visiting the site. We all agreed it would have been pretty eerie to visit alone.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    482
    For those of you who were there I have a question.

    On the Photos:No discussion thread, Post 2, which side
    was the body on? The far side by the white stuff? Or the near
    side by the black fencing kind of thing?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    745
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob&Bob View Post
    For those of you who were there I have a question.

    On the Photos:No discussion thread, Post 2, which side
    was the body on? The far side by the white stuff? Or the near
    side by the black fencing kind of thing?
    Near side...in FRONT of the fencing. (...we're assuming because the ground was trampled with footprints and a bouqoet of dead white roses placed on the ground there.)

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    482
    What's all the white stuff on the other side?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    745
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob&Bob View Post
    What's all the white stuff on the other side?
    It has nothing to do with the crime. Some kind of plastic tarp, but it can be found on all the drainage berms in that area of the neighborhood.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by reddress58 View Post
    It has nothing to do with the crime. Some kind of plastic tarp, but it can be found on all the drainage berms in that area of the neighborhood.
    Thanks.

    Back to that Photo thread Post 2.

    In relation to the guy with his back toward us with the
    tan hat, where was the body?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    745
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob&Bob View Post
    Thanks.

    Back to that Photo thread Post 2.

    In relation to the guy with his back toward us with the
    tan hat, where was the body?
    It's not even in that picture. It was to the left of all those men. (...we're guessing)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    703
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob&Bob View Post
    Thanks.

    Back to that Photo thread Post 2.

    In relation to the guy with his back toward us with the
    tan hat, where was the body?
    I think the presumed exact spot is not inside the frame of that photo you reference (on the Photos thread). I think it's off to the left.

    There are more photos (posted by JTF) [ref NC Thread #11, post #73] where an outline is drawn (by JTF) on one of the photos of the exact (presumed) spot. [ Might be nice to get these copied to the photos thread I suppose for completeness ]

    I think think basis for presuming this is the spot is: (a) there were some flowers left at that spot, and (b) sheriff has said that the location was "just off the road".

    So - I don't know if it's 100% certain that the spot marked in the photo is the "exact" spot, but it's probably a reasonable conclusion.

    For those that were able to go to today (thanks for the info) - did anyone notice any other tributes (notes / flowers / etc) left there (at that same spot, or others?)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    482
    Quote Originally Posted by jumpstreet View Post
    I think the presumed exact spot is not inside the frame of that photo you reference (on the Photos thread). I think it's off to the left.

    There are more photos (posted by JTF) [ref NC Thread #11, post #73] where an outline is drawn (by JTF) on one of the photos of the exact (presumed) spot. [ Might be nice to get these copied to the photos thread I suppose for completeness ]

    I think think basis for presuming this is the spot is: (a) there were some flowers left at that spot, and (b) sheriff has said that the location was "just off the road".

    So - I don't know if it's 100% certain that the spot marked in the photo is the "exact" spot, but it's probably a reasonable conclusion.

    For those that were able to go to today (thanks for the info) - did anyone notice any other tributes (notes / flowers / etc) left there (at that same spot, or others?)
    Are there any other houses being built on that street?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Knightsbridge
    Posts
    16,856
    Let me ask - because there are floral arrangements at a location, the assumption is that was the location of the body ? How would the person placing the arrangement know that ? Unless it was LE or the man who found the body or the killer- I doubt anyone else knows the spot where Nancy's body came to a rest to be honest. The man in the 911 call says she was in the pond, but then again he saw vultures, which might have been huge crows , or turkey buzzards.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Photo:Baby Reaches Hand Out During C-Section, Grabs Dr's Hand
    By Blondie in Spokane in forum News that makes you smile!
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-03-2013, 04:18 PM
  2. Artists impressions/age progressions
    By Jackalyn in forum Missing Archives
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-27-2011, 10:24 AM
  3. Caylee Case Chat Meetup:W-9:00pm eastern
    By wanttohelp in forum Caylee Anthony 2 years old
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 10:29 PM

Tags for this Thread