1076 users online (178 members and 898 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FL - Ky. couple found dead of CO poisoning at I-95 rest area

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. (AP) -- Investigators in north Florida are trying to solve the mystery of a young Kentucky couple found dead at an Interstate 95 rest area.
    The St. Johns County Sheriff's Office says 23-year-old Kenneth L. Oldham of Morehead, Ky., and 22-year-old Kayla R. Hinton of Olive Hill, Ky., were found dead Wednesday inside their car.
    Sheriff's spokesman Sgt. Chuck Mulligan says family members did not know why the couple was in Florida.
    http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...TAM&SECTION=US

Says in the article that maybe carbon monoxide may be the cause of death. This is so sad.
    Prayers for all murdered wives and children. My posts are my opinion only.

That breaks your heart.. Oh how sad..
    "This isn't who they are. It is only what happened to them."
    Jaycee Dugard

That is sad but their family didn't know they were in Florida? Seems a little hinky. How do you die from fumes if the exhaust pipe isn't put inside the car?

A bad exhaust can do it if the car is idling. Temps at nite were freezing or close to it
    Lashelle

"Remember, They will never buy the cow if they can get the eggs for free! " ... Kelly Bundy

So sad, bless their hearts and their families.

Kenny Oldham myspace:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=149577017

I think this is Kayla's profile but it is private (warning she uses the F bomb in the part of the profile you can see):

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=45916028

Morehead and Olive Hill are only about 20 miles from each other.
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

There could have been a defect in the car. I know when I was little my parents had bought a second hand car. We all got carbon monoxide poising because there was a hole somewhere in the car that was allowing the fumes to go into the car. If they were idling to stay warm while they slept it could have happened that way.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzybeth View Post
    There could have been a defect in the car. I know when I was little my parents had bought a second hand car. We all got carbon monoxide poising because there was a hole somewhere in the car that was allowing the fumes to go into the car. If they were idling to stay warm while they slept it could have happened that way.
    I havent read the story yet (was on ipod last nite and tired) but if they were found in a locked car or a car that was closed and idling, it sounds like Carbon Monoxide poisoning. Usually you hear about it from people running things indoors like generators, gas powered stuff, etc. But you can get it in a car too.
    Lashelle

"Remember, They will never buy the cow if they can get the eggs for free! " ... Kelly Bundy

What if it was a lovers' double suicide?

That's a possibility MeoW333.

They were found at a rest area on the Northbound side of I-95 near St. Augustine. It does not say if they were North or South of St. Aug.

The drive from St. Augustine back to Morhead KY is approx. 12 and a half hours.
    "Three things in human life are important: The first is to be kind; the second is to be kind; and the third is to be kind." ~ Henry James

Medical examiner: No foul play in couple’s death

http://news.staugustine.com/news/200...couples-death/

"Kayla R. Hinton, 22, of Olive Hill, Ky., and Kenneth L. Oldham, 23, of Morehead, Ky., were on their way home from South Florida when they apparently stopped two or three days ago to sleep at the rest area south of the State Road 206 interchange.

The exact causes of death still hadn’t been determined following Thursday’s autopsy.

However, it appeared as if they died from carbon monoxide poisoning."

That's sad. I think (at least on the interstates on my side of the state) the rest stops now all have on duty officers or staff. So there has been less crime at them.
    Lashelle

Quote Originally Posted by MeoW333 View Post
    What if it was a lovers' double suicide?
    I don't see why'd they drive 12 hours away to do that.

My biggest question is what was the temperature where they were? Was it cold enough to keep the heater on?

It also bothers me that they didn't tell anyone they were going on a trip.

I grew up in Des Moines- many years ago there was a case where two kids died in this manner from a bad exhaust while parked. The car was then sold to another young driver and you guessed it- he and two of his friends died in the same car at a drive-in. So, it happens. Hopefully they junked that thing after.

Quote Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
    I don't see why'd they drive 12 hours away to do that.

My biggest question is what was the temperature where they were? Was it cold enough to keep the heater on?

It also bothers me that they didn't tell anyone they were going on a trip.
    The temperature yesterday in St Augustine Fl was a high of 57 degrees and a low of 32 degrees. The average temperature is 65 degrees this time of year.
    If they didn't tell anyone they were going on a trip and they drove 12 hours away to do it, that tells me they didn't want anyone stopping them. I'm guessing this is suicide, i could never fall asleep at a rest stop with all the ruckus around me. I'd also be too nervous about other people around me and my vehicle. I've been one to push myself and drive straight trips without stopping to sleep. If i had to absolutely sleep, i'd get a hotel. It's so uncomfortable sleeping in a car. I did it once with a friend who was driving at a rest stop and only slept 2 hours. The noise, heat, woke me up. It gets hot in a parked car in the sun, even in 45 degree weather, the sun heats up the inside of a car fast.

The only other thing i can think of is if the couple were on drugs or alcohol and were partying so they just passed out like that in the car and stayed out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast