Live police chase in Dallas

mistivon

Verified Insider - Maricela Garcia
Reaction score
This is right by my house.
HLN, they don't know who/what is in the car.
Speeds over 100mph on the freeway
male driver, started as a traffic stop

Several injured I guess...just now tuning in on Fox

That was one of the longer chases. One tough little car until the truck got it. Hopefully all in the truck are fine. Rescuing the driver of the car now using the jaws of life.

I was watching it on HLN and thought that poor guy on the motorcycle was gonna lose it when they tried to put down the spike strip..Close call!! My 6 yr old grandson thought he was watching Transformers. Isnt it sad when Reality is so close to Fantasy??

I watched it on Fox today, it was scary. Has anyone heard the condition of the drivers, or exactly why the guy was being pursued by LE?

Hey Motrin, we must be, lol.....I'm right up the road from the crash on the Dallas/Richardson border.
The driver was wanted for forgery of prescriptions if I am not mistaken, and has had evasion charges before. Last heard, he was in critical condition at Baylor Hospital.
He looked totally wild when they were putting him in the ambulance, no telling what he was taking. It is AMAZING he even survived, I surely thought we had just watched someone getting killed.

Michel's father, Bill Michel, said his son is bipolar and that this wasn't his son's first police chase.
“Well regardless of what he is, he's my son and I still love him,” said Bill Michel.
He said his son suffered fractures to his face and hip and severed his aorta. He is currently undergoing emergency surgery at Baylor Medical Center in Dallas.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Driver-Leads-Police-on-Chase-Through-Dallas.html

If he even had a tear in his aorta, then it is a MIRACLE that he did not die before he got to the hospital with extrication time, etc. Severed, he'd be dead. I'll try to find out the latest on his condition....if it was this bad, he may have died, although noone is reporting that. He was sure talking and looking wild after the wreck, though.

Geez, just read another one happened this morning...man.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/070109dnmetchase.1f7cb5c7.html

Does anyone else think that police chases are irresponsible and dangerous?? Especially in metro areas like Dallas. How many innocent people have been killed because of the police pursuing some idiot who is fleeing. Couldn't they just get the license plate number or something and catch up with them later? There has to be a better solution than driving erractically going 100+miles an hour down a freeway.

LOL! I saw the second one on the news this morning. That woman was only driving about 20 mph, too. What geniuses.

Does anyone else think that police chases are irresponsible and dangerous?? Especially in metro areas like Dallas. How many innocent people have been killed because of the police pursuing some idiot who is fleeing. Couldn't they just get the license plate number or something and catch up with them later? There has to be a better solution than driving erractically going 100+miles an hour down a freeway.

I think like you as well!! I always wondered why they can't just follow the car in a helicopter and send units to the place where the car stops.

No, because why are they fleeing? Have they kidnapped somebody and they're stuffed in the trunk? Did they just commit a rape or murder? Is a kidnapped child with them? They aren't always just fleeing to avoid a traffic stop. If you or a loved one were the victim, you'd be mad if the police DIDN'T chase them and they got away.

I also think police chases can be irresponsible. About 10 years ago our local news reported such a chase which ended in the death of a mom of three. I'll never forget how sad the story was.

Two thugs were at a mall and caught shoplifting. The chase began on a highway and ended up on a residential street (which did have more traffic than side-streets).

The 30+year old mom was bringing her children back from a day at a swim club, they were in the back seat of her SUV. She was just about to pull in her driveway and the perp car crashed into the driver's side door. Killing the mom instantly while two of her children were in the back seat and and one in the front seat who witnessed their mom die. The kids did not suffer any injuries, but I'm sure the trauma they endured that tragic day was horrific.

Since then, that town now has new procedures for the law officer's putting innocent residents in risk during a chase.

Watching the video yesterday, and seeing the pickup truck slam into the perp in that intersection was difficult to watch. It could have been one of our loved ones and they may have not been as lucky as the p/u driver.

Sometimes I think if the police are that close and see the perps license plate, maybe they could just give up the chase and let the perp think he got away.

It isn't worth putting any of us and our children in danger to chase these criminals on our highway and streets. JMO

the constables are taking heat because of the accident here.
HOWEVER, the problem was that Michel's dad had dealt with them before, and he called in and requested that the chase be stopped, as his son was most likely freaked out and didn't know what was going on. The constables DID call off the chase, but the state troopers did not, therefore, constables stayed behind him (reasoning for that, not sure).
They knew who he was, what he was wanted for, and where he was going while they were still chasing him. When THAT is the situation, ITA with calling it off. It was a felony prescription charge, ya, but not homicide, and the dad had already said he would bring his son in.
I shudder to think if it had been my four children and I crossing that intersection, as it very well could have been.
DPD chases anyone who doesn't stop, seems like we have them quite frequently :(
If they know who the person is, and the charges, imo, there shouldn't be a chase.
Kidnapping, even bank robbing, different story.

ETA: I also read that Michel was talking back and forth with DPD via cell phone threatening to kill himself. At that point, if not earlier, I definitely would have let him go. Best way to kill yourself in a car if you're a drugged up criminal? Head on collision.

the constables are taking heat because of the accident here.
HOWEVER, the problem was that Michel's dad had dealt with them before, and he called in and requested that the chase be stopped, as his son was most likely freaked out and didn't know what was going on. The constables DID call off the chase, but the state troopers did not, therefore, constables stayed behind him (reasoning for that, not sure).
They knew who he was, what he was wanted for, and where he was going while they were still chasing him. When THAT is the situation, ITA with calling it off. It was a felony prescription charge, ya, but not homicide, and the dad had already said he would bring his son in.
I shudder to think if it had been my four children and I crossing that intersection, as it very well could have been.
DPD chases anyone who doesn't stop, seems like we have them quite frequently :(
If they know who the person is, and the charges, imo, there shouldn't be a chase.
Kidnapping, even bank robbing, different story.

ETA: I also read that Michel was talking back and forth with DPD via cell phone threatening to kill himself. At that point, if not earlier, I definitely would have let him go. Best way to kill yourself in a car if you're a drugged up criminal? Head on collision.

Under these circumstances, I agree with you. They should have backed off. And like you said, if it is unknown or especially a known violent crime, different story.

i happen to be watching fox and seen this entire thing unfold.CRAZY

Even though hes the "bad guy", I really hope he turns out to be okay. I've been really freaked out since i saw the crash yesterday. The police chase should have stopped way earlier. They had multiple opportunities to do that pit maneuver that could have prevented him from being this seriously hurt.

I also kind of freaked when he wrecked like that. I'm used to seeing people eventually just stop and get out and run. Despite his running and yes, almost causing deaths of idk how many people...if he truly was bipolar and in a manic phase...well, it's just sad that the police would not let up on him. He could just be sitting in the county jail right now, instead of possibly dying in an ICU.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jackparsley
Back