1036 users online (246 members and 790 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Farmer kills 51 cows and then kills himself

This happened in upstate NY. He was having "personal problems". Spared the heifers and calves, but killed all the milk cows.

http://registerstar.com/articles/201...9167607263.txt

Why can't these guys just kill themselves without killing something or someone else too? At least he didn't kill his family.

Quote Originally Posted by STEADFAST View Post
    Why can't these guys just kill themselves without killing something or someone else too? At least he didn't kill his family.
    I've often wondered why, if a person absolutely must kill someone before they off themselves, why not a bad guy and go out a street hero.
    IMO

I just want to know why the heck he had to kill the cows before he died? What purpose did that serve? Was he blaming the cows for his problems? It just doesn't make sense at all.
    Happy New Years

I assume he killed the cows because milk prices are so low that the cows cost more to feed than you can make selling the milk. The heifers and calves can be sold.

I believe he killed the cows because he was worried they might be mistreated elsewhere. Mistreatment of cows is rather common. I don't think he was a bad guy, I think he did it out of love for the cattle he raised and cared for.

My opinion only

Here's a longer article:

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories...storyID=892270

Neighboring farmers feel that he killed the heavy milkers because they would get sick if nobody milked them twice a day after he was gone.

I'm wondering if he believed that he had cancer or something.

If the man was too sick to care for the animals, could he not have given them away as opposed to killing them?

I think he suffered from a moo'd disorder.
    Last edited by JBean; 01-24-2010 at 02:33 AM.

Bizarre idea of a murder, suicide!
    This is the year to locate Mark Dribin http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ht=Mark+Dribin NamUs MP#876 and Ilene Misheloff http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...lene+Misheloff NamUs MP#6410 and bring them home to their families!

Parents watch your children. Free-range parenting leads to more child victims.

Cruelty to humans begins with cruelty to animals.

I believe in closure, not forgiveness. I'm also unapologetically judgemental.

JeSuisJuif
    JeSuisCharlie

Really! Who even THINKS to kill the COWS??

sipping coffee at the Purple Rose Theatre
    Quote Originally Posted by JBean View Post
    I think he suffered from a moo'd disorder.
    omg.... pass the milk! LOL

Neighbors say that he was quiet & kept to himself. If he did not have many visitors, he may have thought about what would happen if he was not found for many days. He didn't want the milk cows to suffer, imo.

I'd think there'd be an easier way to flag the problem than killing 51 cows.

If he started selling or giving away his herd it would be a crisis alert to those who knew him. He was serious about going-- my immediate take on it.

But as a second notion, I sincerely hope there wasn't a personal message for someone who couldn't "cover" for him so he could take a break... which would be verrrry mean.

The onus of caring for dairy cows is so demanding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast