CO - Possible Serial Shooter Has Colorado Drivers on Edge #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've Googled for highway shootings and window shatterings in France. I couldn't find any reports of series of seemingly random ones in recent years.

Commerce City officer arrested for false reporting
www.9news.com

"Officer Kevin Lord was arrested at 8:15 p.m. Friday for attempt to influence a public official and false reporting, District Attorney Dave Young announced at a news conference Friday night.

"Last night the investigation went a different direction, and members of the critical incident team, including all the department and police agencies investigated this matter, which led to the arrest of Officer Lord earlier this evening," Young said."

There are a couple posts around i wanted to bring over from the Paris thread, battery is failing, usual note to self as a reminder. Quote that we provide the cars...not saying the cars are provided here, but just wondering who might provide what if this is not just an individual...

Algeria likes on rifle pic on ns's fb, he has a court date coming up

<snipped, with respect, for focus>

David Moscow, 29yo, does not seem to be involved with the random shootings since his motive was to punish FRCC for not readmitting him. I could be so wrong in that his disgruntlement could have led him to shoot randomly at vehicles.

The puzzle pieces are not fitting together nicely. Why not? What could we be missing? Are these attacks part of the SUR nationwide gang?

You're probably right about Moscow not being our guy, or one of our guys. He sounds more like a budding rampage attacker, whereas most of the attacks at the core of the NoCO seem to involve a degree of restraint - quick attacks against single targets with few shots.

The NoCO shootings do seem to have "randomness" at their core, but I'm not sure that precludes a motive. It may not be a motive that makes much sense to us, perhaps one driven by compulsions, wierd politics, or mental problems, but a motive none the less.

The puzzle pieces don't fit together very nicely. It reminds me of when my little sister combined three jigsaw puzzles of mine to save space.

Wow, so I recorded an episode of Forensic Flies because I saw it was about "Geographic Profiling", something I've always been interested in since reading the article about Awareness Space re: Jessica Rideway's case, and mention quite frequently in cases:
http://www.boulderweekly.com/articl...ss-lsawareness-spacers-may-lead-to-clues.html

Well, the episode was about the Southside Rapist, a cop named Randy Comeaux, who was responsible for several rapes in an area of Louisiana over many years. LE saw an article about Geographic Profiling / Environmenal Criminology in Police Chief Magazine, so reached out to the man who developed a software called "Rigel" for this process called which plugs in the coordinates of the crime scenes and returns a probability chart of areas that the perp likely lives or works (this software was successful in identifying the neighborhood where this rapist, RC, lived). So, anyway, I was trying to find this software via google, and guess what just popped up? The developer of this software worked the Beltway Sniper case! What a coincidence and how cool if he could take a look at Noco. Hopefully I won't get sidetracked and see this one through so I get more information about all of this, the software, etc. I think this was back in 2005.

Eta, omg he's talking about "hot zones" in this article. This is the article I am reading right now:

THE HOUND OF THE DATA POINTS

GEOGRAPHIC PROFILING PIONEER KIM ROSSMO HAS BEEN LIKENED TO SHERLOCK HOLMES; HIS WATSON IN THE HUNT FOR SERIAL KILLERS IS A DIGITAL SIDEKICK -- AN ALGORITHM HE CALLS RIGEL.

SCIENCE

http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2003-03/hound-data-points

"Until he was called in on the Beltway Sniper investigation, Detective Kim Rossmo's most confounding case was the South Side Rapist."

Snip

"Rossmo's job was to help direct the manhunt. If he couldn't find the needle, he hoped at least to radically thin the haystack. And he would do so through the careful application of that most powerful of investigative tools: a mathematics equation.

Rossmo, 47, is the inventor and most zealous proponent of criminal geographic targeting (CGT), more commonly known as geographic profiling. He uses CGT to hunt society's most dangerous game: violent serial criminals -- arsonists, rapists and murderers whose taste for carnage seems only to sharpen with time, and who tend to programmatically continue their offenses until they are caught. There's no mistaking Rossmo for the FBI profilers down in Quantico's Behavioral Assessment Unit, the ones that movies like The Silence of the Lambs have turned into celebrities. He can't tell what kind of offender is terrorizing the town, how old or what race, whether he has delusions of grandeur or issues with Dad -- nor does Rossmo particularly care about those things. His interest is in the most neglected of the Five W's: Where did the offender strike? From this Rossmo can usually calculate where, most likely, he lived."

Snip

"The case intrigued just about everyone who heard about it. The notion of a master geographic profiler conjured those classic film scenes in which detectives gaze at a trail of red pushpins in a big map, then guess where the killer will strike next.

In fact, though, it's just the opposite.

"Geographic profiling isn't about prediction," Rossmo says. "Efforts to predict the location of crimes don't show a lot of focus." Instead of pushing forward into an unknown future, Rossmo's method pulls back to an origin, to the time and place the crimes were hatched. A center.

"You know those sprinklers where the little metal thing hits the water stream and it sprays around in a circle?" Rossmo asks. "You could look at that and say, There's a good probability that the next drop of water will land within this ring,' but it'd be hard to know precisely where. If you took the sprinkler away, though, and I looked at the pattern of water, I could tell you where the sprinkler was.""

Wow, so I recorded an episode of Forensic Flies because I saw it was about "Geographic Profiling", something I've always been interested in since reading the article about Awareness Space re: Jessica Rideway's case, and mention quite frequently in cases:
http://www.boulderweekly.com/articl...ss-lsawareness-spacers-may-lead-to-clues.html

Well, the episode was about the Southside Rapist, a cop named Randy Comeaux, who was responsible for several rapes in an area of Louisiana over many years. <snipped>

Eta, omg he's talking about "hot zones" in this article. This is the article I am reading right now:

GEOGRAPHIC PROFILING PIONEER KIM ROSSMO HAS BEEN LIKENED TO SHERLOCK HOLMES; HIS WATSON IN THE HUNT FOR SERIAL KILLERS IS A DIGITAL SIDEKICK -- AN ALGORITHM HE CALLS RIGEL.

SCIENCE

"Until he was called in on the Beltway Sniper investigation, Detective Kim Rossmo's most confounding case was the South Side Rapist."

< snipped > "

I hadn't realized that was out there! Thanks so much! I'll check it out.

Well, the episode was about the Southside Rapist, a cop named Randy Comeaux, who was responsible for several rapes in an area of Louisiana over many years. LE saw an article about Geographic Profiling / Environmenal Criminology in Police Chief Magazine, so reached out to the man who developed a software called "Rigel" for this process called which plugs in the coordinates of the crime scenes and returns a probability chart of areas that the perp likely lives or works (this software was successful in identifying the neighborhood where this rapist, RC, lived). So, anyway, I was trying to find this software via google, and guess what just popped up? The developer of this software worked the Beltway Sniper case! What a coincidence and how cool if he could take a look at Noco. Hopefully I won't get sidetracked and see this one through so I get more information about all of this, the software, etc. I think this was back in 2005.

SCIENCE

Snip

"Rossmo's job was to help direct the manhunt. If he couldn't find the needle, he hoped at least to radically thin the haystack. And he would do so through the careful application of that most powerful of investigative tools: a mathematics equation.

Rossmo, 47, is the inventor and most zealous proponent of criminal geographic targeting (CGT), more commonly known as geographic profiling. He uses CGT to hunt society's most dangerous game: violent serial criminals -- arsonists, rapists and murderers whose taste for carnage seems only to sharpen with time, and who tend to programmatically continue their offenses until they are caught. There's no mistaking Rossmo for the FBI profilers down in Quantico's Behavioral Assessment Unit, the ones that movies like The Silence of the Lambs have turned into celebrities. He can't tell what kind of offender is terrorizing the town, how old or what race, whether he has delusions of grandeur or issues with Dad -- nor does Rossmo particularly care about those things. His interest is in the most neglected of the Five W's: Where did the offender strike? From this Rossmo can usually calculate where, most likely, he lived."

Snip

"The case intrigued just about everyone who heard about it. The notion of a master geographic profiler conjured those classic film scenes in which detectives gaze at a trail of red pushpins in a big map, then guess where the killer will strike next.

"Geographic profiling isn't about prediction," Rossmo says. "Efforts to predict the location of crimes don't show a lot of focus." Instead of pushing forward into an unknown future, Rossmo's method pulls back to an origin, to the time and place the crimes were hatched. A center.

"You know those sprinklers where the little metal thing hits the water stream and it sprays around in a circle?" Rossmo asks. "You could look at that and say, There's a good probability that the next drop of water will land within this ring,' but it'd be hard to know precisely where. If you took the sprinkler away, though, and I looked at the pattern of water, I could tell you where the sprinkler was.""

Wow, indeed. Thank you, magz, this is fascinating, so informative and helpful. It touches on so much of whats discussed on WS.

Oh, I saw you noticed that the Paris terrorists used gaming platforms to communicate. Remember we were considering that on this thread re how the group may be communicating and training to some extent under the radar on such platforms.

SCIENCE

Snip

Snip

This is very interesting.

The only problem I see with being able to utilize a tool like that for this case is it seems like we have multiple shooters. But maybe it would still be useful because maybe his methods would be able to figure out which ones are most likely from the same people and then group those together to develop a home area for that group.

There were certain ones that seemed to be from the same shooter and maybe those can be grouped.

In any event it is very interesting.

(O/T, re: my post 1042 about the South side Rapist, not only was he a cop, he was married to a rape crisis counselor! And worked rape cases himself, in addition to working with rape victims at the crisis center!)

This is very interesting.

The only problem I see with being able to utilize a tool like that for this case is it seems like we have multiple shooters. But maybe it would still be useful because maybe his methods would be able to figure out which ones are most likely from the same people and then group those together to develop a home area for that group.

There were certain ones that seemed to be from the same shooter and maybe those can be grouped.

In any event it is very interesting.

This is a good point. I wonder if he just plugged in Jacoby and Romero (and/or Connole)...

(O/T, re: my post 1042 about the South side Rapist, not only was he a cop, he was married to a rape crisis counselor! And worked rape cases himself, in addition to working with rape victims at the crisis center!)

That's especially disgusting, he'll have fun in jail, and deserve it.

Probably o/t unrelated, sounds like there were some spree shootings in Denver last night. (There was also an incident the night before off Peoria St, likely unrelated but I think I might recall that street name from upstream.)

Denver Police investigating multiple shootings
http://www.9news.com/story/news/crime/2015/11/24/denver-shootings/76300560/

"DENVER - Tuesday morning brought several shooting investigations to Denver Police.

Denver Police say in all three shootings, there were reports of a white SUV being possibly involved. Investigators are working to determine if all three shootings are connected."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member