Colorado Statutes relating to JonBenet Ramsey’s death

I saw a documentary recently and I have a question,maybe someone knows the answer...I don't recall where this took place (state ) but there was a young lady,her mom was killed 20 years ago,the killer was never caught but her dad was a suspect.after he died she wanted to clear his name so she wrote to a cold case unit asking them to reopen the case,which they did...they run some additional DNA tests,re-investigated some folks and found out new info about another suspect in the case...to make it short,they got the real killer...my question is....WHO CAN ASK AUTHORITIES TO RE-OPEN A CASE?ONLY FAMILY MEMBERS?this young lady didn't have any new info,evidence,she just wanted this solved.it always frustrates me when I see how other cold cases are solved after so many years and all it takes are some willing,unbiased cops!why can't this happen for Jonbenet?

it's so amazing when you see a cop or a DA who solves a cold case (which always bugged him) after so many years...the pride,they joy in his eyes when he speaks about it,the RELIEF,the SATISFACTION! the strength,the reasons he never let it go...

but then again,I always forget that there are no such people in BOULDER CO.....I came to believe that the only reason this wasn't solved yet is becasue it happened there and not somewhere else....it doesn't matter how rich a suspect is or how many friends he has IF the authorities are willing to be unbiased and fair.

I saw a documentary recently and I have a question,maybe someone knows the answer...I don't recall where this took place (state ) but there was a young lady,her mom was killed 20 years ago,the killer was never caught but her dad was a suspect.after he died she wanted to clear his name so she wrote to a cold case unit asking them to reopen the case,which they did...they run some additional DNA tests,re-investigated some folks and found out new info about another suspect in the case...to make it short,they got the real killer...my question is....WHO CAN ASK AUTHORITIES TO RE-OPEN A CASE?ONLY FAMILY MEMBERS?this young lady didn't have any new info,evidence,she just wanted this solved.it always frustrates me when I see how other cold cases are solved after so many years and all it takes are some willing,unbiased cops!why can't this happen for Jonbenet?

It would be nice to have a pair of fresh eyes to look at this case to try to solve it. IMO I think there are certain people in Boulder who doesnt want it solved. But yes I wish someone new would come in and review over the evidence and get justice for JB

it's so amazing when you see a cop or a DA who solves a cold case (which always bugged him) after so many years...the pride,they joy in his eyes when he speaks about it,the RELIEF,the SATISFACTION! the strength,the reasons he never let it go...

In most of these instances at least part of the cop or DA's satisfaction comes from the fact that they have been able to answer questions for the family. This family doesn't want answers.

Or perhaps it's more that this family already has the answers, they just don't want the rest of the world to have them.

Sadly, I don't believe it will ever happen in this case.

I was not certain where to place this news published a few days ago:

Boulder's JonBenet Ramsey, Sid Wells murders on new CBI cold case website

By Mitchell Byars, Camera Staff Writer 09/25/2014 09:31:01 AM MDT

Two of Boulder's most infamous crimes -- the murders of JonBenet Ramsey and Sid Wells -- are among the 1,577 cases listed in the Colorado Bureau of Investigation's revamped cold case website that the agency debuted today.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/bou...ers-jonbenet-ramsey-sid-wells-murders-new-cbi

Cold Case Website:

https://www.colorado.gov/apps/coldcase/search.html

I was not certain where to place this news published a few days ago:

Boulder's JonBenet Ramsey, Sid Wells murders on new CBI cold case website

By Mitchell Byars, Camera Staff Writer 09/25/2014 09:31:01 AM MDT

Two of Boulder's most infamous crimes -- the murders of JonBenet Ramsey and Sid Wells -- are among the 1,577 cases listed in the Colorado Bureau of Investigation's revamped cold case website that the agency debuted today.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/bou...ers-jonbenet-ramsey-sid-wells-murders-new-cbi

Cold Case Website:

https://www.colorado.gov/apps/coldcase/search.html
Thanks :). So how was your trip to Telluride? Meet anyone interesting? As in JK

from link:

"With new technology emerging to aid investigators working these cases, coupled with the commitment and coordination of law enforcement in Colorado's cold cases, I am confident law enforcement will continue to move forward in solving more of these cases in the future," said CBI Director Ron Sloan in a statement.

am not that confident at all when it comes to this case..... (reason in bold....)

On the topic of this thread -
A couple of Statutes for understanding some peripheral items in case.
- Previously I thought that the GJ TB (except for crime of murder) had a statute of limitation (SoL) of 3 years. Kolar pointed out that when someone moves out of state it extends the time period by 5 years. So the Rs were seemingly at risk of prosecution for child abuse and for accessory after the fact up til 2004.

- Another Statute applied to the discussion regarding interviews by attorneys is relevant.

Two subtle but important definitions of the word can
1) To be able to
2) To be permitted to
Simple examples might be something like I can run a stop sign. However, running a stop sign is illegal (not permitted) under the traffic regulations.

Recently in another thread a discussion of whether attorneys can lie was inferred. Like the example above, an attorney can lie, but under the Colorado Statute of Law, they are not permitted to. The Supreme Court of Colorado made a very firm statement regarding this situation. Several years ago an assistant DA from Jefferson County, CO was caught up in this Statute. This attorney essentially portrayed a ruse in order to apprehend an axe murderer.

The Colorado Supreme Court (in spite of public outcry) tried and convicted the Jefferson County assistant DA under this particular Statute. In so ruling, regardless if he was acting in the role of a peace officer or not, he violated Colorado Statute of law. In their conclusion, “it (the Colorado Supreme Court) left open (only) the possibility of an exception, holding that "until a sufficiently compelling scenario presents itself and convinces us our interpretation of Colo. RPC 8.4(c) is too rigid, we stand resolute against any suggestion that licensed attorneys in our state may deceive or lie or misrepresent, regardless of their reasons for doing so.”

Bottom line, the Colorado Supreme Court upheld the rule (Statute) that attorneys cannot lie or misrepresent or deceive a suspect. This includes whether an attorney is acting in an investigating or prosecuting activity.

- Previously I thought that the GJ TB (except for crime of murder) had a statute of limitation (SoL) of 3 years. Kolar pointed out that when someone moves out of state it extends the time period by 5 years. So the Rs were seemingly at risk of prosecution for child abuse and for accessory after the fact up til 2004.

- Another Statute applied to the discussion regarding interviews by attorneys is relevant.

1) To be able to
2) To be permitted to
Simple examples might be something like I can run a stop sign. However, running a stop sign is illegal (not permitted) under the traffic regulations.

Recently in another thread a discussion of whether attorneys can lie was inferred. Like the example above, an attorney can lie, but under the Colorado Statute of Law, they are not permitted to. The Supreme Court of Colorado made a very firm statement regarding this situation. Several years ago an assistant DA from Jefferson County, CO was caught up in this Statute. This attorney essentially portrayed a ruse in order to apprehend an axe murderer.

The Colorado Supreme Court (in spite of public outcry) tried and convicted the Jefferson County assistant DA under this particular Statute. In so ruling, regardless if he was acting in the role of a peace officer or not, he violated Colorado Statute of law. In their conclusion, “it (the Colorado Supreme Court) left open (only) the possibility of an exception, holding that "until a sufficiently compelling scenario presents itself and convinces us our interpretation of Colo. RPC 8.4(c) is too rigid, we stand resolute against any suggestion that licensed attorneys in our state may deceive or lie or misrepresent, regardless of their reasons for doing so.”

Bottom line, the Colorado Supreme Court upheld the rule (Statute) that attorneys cannot lie or misrepresent or deceive a suspect. This includes whether an attorney is acting in an investigating or prosecuting activity.

RPC means Rule of Professional Conduct - he was disciplined in terms of his membership in the CO Bar. I don't think there was a criminal prosecution - just an administrative hearing. The courts handle attorney discipline in some instances. So he could lose his law license, but any non-attorney investigator can continue to lie. Lawyers actually have really insane standards of behavior - I know people think they'll resort to anything, but there are a lot of restrictions and little forgiveness.

1) To be able to
2) To be permitted to

BBM

This was in 2002. Until 2001, the courts had not established a precedent specific to prosecutors use of deceit when acting as members of an investigative team.

"The cases that do address prosecutorial deceit make it clear that, regardless of what the Colorado authorities may have said in Pautler, the context of the perpetrated deceit does count. There are two main lines of case law dealing with prosecutorial deceit. The cases that find deceit impermissible are those in which prosecutors deceive the courts in some way, while the cases which find deceit permissible deal with prosecutors instructing law enforcement officers to use deceit during investigations."​

http://ir.lawnet.fordham.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2107&context=ulj

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BBM

This was in 2002. Until 2001, the courts had not established a precedent specific to prosecutors use of deceit when acting as members of an investigative team.

"The cases that do address prosecutorial deceit make it clear that, regardless of what the Colorado authorities may have said in Pautler, the context of the perpetrated deceit does count. There are two main lines of case law dealing with prosecutorial deceit. The cases that find deceit impermissible are those in which prosecutors deceive the courts in some way, while the cases which find deceit permissible deal with prosecutors instructing law enforcement officers to use deceit during investigations."​

http://ir.lawnet.fordham.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=2107&context=ulj

There are a couple of things I take issue on. The paper referenced was written by a woman towards her law degree, and it is not a definitive interpretation for the State of Colorado and its application of rules. Her entire paper appears to attempt to build an argument for exceptions to the codes against use of deception by an attorney, specifically in an investigative situation. IOW, I don't find her an absolute source for interpreting the Colorado statutes and how those rules are to be applied.

When someone violates the professional statutes, a complaint is made to a disciplinary board who either agrees or does not agree to proceed with the legal portion. In the case quoted (Pautler) the complaint was received in February 2000, before the interview in August of 2000 with Levin. So of course it's correct Levin did not have the final ruling from the Colorado Supreme Court on this particular case.

But there was a ruling by the Colorado Supreme Court on "People vs. Reichman", another situation in which an attorney used deception in order to shield an undercover police officer to assist in apprehending someone violating the law. That ruling occurred in 1991. The Court ruled then that the context does not have the relevance which the conduct has. "It is the conduct of the lawyer which dictates when there is a violation of the Rules of Professional Conduct, not the effect of that conduct." The ruling was not predicated on prosecutorial fraud, but was based on professional rule DR 102A, which sanctions conduct prejudicial to the administration of justice and actions which violate disciplinary rules.

As noted by lawstudent, the rules applying to lawyers are rigorous. Since we don't have access to reports held by BPD, folks will have to decide for themselves how likely it is that Levin was lying in an investigatory interview.

(bbm)
In most of these instances at least part of the cop or DA's satisfaction comes from the fact that they have been able to answer questions for the family. This family doesn't want answers.

Or perhaps it's more that this family already has the answers, they just don't want the rest of the world to have them.

Sadly, I don't believe it will ever happen in this case.
Amen, and amen.

It would be nice to have a pair of fresh eyes to look at this case to try to solve it. IMO I think there are certain people in Boulder who doesnt want it solved. But yes I wish someone new would come in and review over the evidence and get justice for JB
When Stan Garnett took the reigns of the BDA's office, a lot of people had hopes that he would reopen an investigation into this case and maybe even go after his predecessors for their fecklessness, ineptitude, and even possible corruption resulting from the incestuous relationship they had with other attorneys involved in the case. I too had that hope.

But Garnett didn't just appear from nowhere. He had connections. He had been a real estate attorney, and worked as a trial attorney and a lobbyist for Brownstein, Hyatt, Farber and Schreck -- a huge, national law firm with over 200 attorneys. When Mary Lacy became term limited (TG for TLs), there were several ADAs working in the BDA office who would have wanted to step into the position. But before the election, Lacy threw her support behind an outsider and named Garnett to be her choice for her replacement. One of the attorneys dropped out of the election after meeting with Garnett and then threw her support behind him (She was later appointed to a judgeship). That attorney and several others then quit the DA’s office after Lacy's announcement. During Garnett's run for election, his website had a list of people who supported him for the office. While that website no longer exists, here is the list of his supporters with the names I recognize highlighted:

• Laurie Albright
  • Ingrid Bakke
  • Diane Balkin
  • Clifford Beem
  • Jeremy Bernstein
  • Steve Brett
  • Jean Bonelli
  • Patrick Burke
  • Michael Canges
  • Jim Carrigan
  • Pat Carrigan
  • Sheila Carrigan
  • Kelly Cherry
  • Bill De La Cruz
  • Janet Drake
  • Jean Dubofsky
  • Frank Dubofsky
  • Christina Fiflis
  • Cole Finegan
  • George Garcia
  • Mary Garcia
  • Alec Garnett
  • Tom Garnett
  • Larry Gelfond
  • Walter Gerash
  • Terrance Gill
  • Gregory Goldberg
  • James Goldfarb
  • Adam Goodman
  • Lori Goodman
  • Jean Gore
  • Crystal Gray
  • Joe Gury
  • Hal Haddon
  • Solomon Halpern
  • James Hardy
  • Barrie Hartman
  • Rollie Heath
  • Jean Hodges
  • Lisa Hogan
  • Nancy Holton
  • Lynne Hornbrooke
  • Lynn Hufnagel
  • Victoria Jacobs
  • Peggy Jessel
  • Helayne Jones
  • Larry Jones
  • Susan Klopman
  • Frances Koncilja
  • Mary Lacy
  • Rich Lopez
  • Pat Loewi
  • Elizabeth Imhoff Mabey
  • Gordon Mackintosh
  • Triplett Mackintosh
  • Alice Madden
  • Sally Martin
  • Lynda McNeive
  • Gayle Mertz
  • Gail Mock
  • Maggie Morrissey
  • Mitch Morrissey
  • Bob Muckle
  • Tom Mulvahill
  • Anne Murphy
  • JoElyn Newcomb
  • Cindy Noble
  • Theresa Noland
  • Fern O’Brien
  • David Olivas
  • Amy Parsons
  • Jeff Parsons
  • Elisabeth Patterson
  • Bal Patterson
  • Jean Paxton
  • Connie Peterson
  • Julie Phillips
  • Meg Porfido
  • Jim Pribyl
  • Gary Reiff
  • Ken Roberge
  • Dorothy Rupert
  • Terre Rushton
  • Barbara Salomon
  • Angelika Schroeder
  • Wayne Schroeder
  • Will Shafroth
  • Andrew Shoemaker
  • Linda Shoemaker
  • Lamar Sims
  • Steve Sims
  • Chuck Sisk
  • Lesley Smith
  • Liz Starrs
  • Karen Steinhauser
  • Ted Trimpa
  • John Tweedy
  • Bill Wise
  • United Food and Commercial Workers Union Local # 7

These were all people who publicly supported his candidacy for BDA. Should anyone have really expected anything to change in Boulder when Stan Garnett became the DA? :thinking:

Does anyone really expect anything to ever change in Boulder in our lifetimes? :stormingmad:

:notgood:

:tantrum: otg: your list made me want to :pullhair:but thanks for posting it. Justice for JB feels so futile, sometimes all I can do is :tears:

Something tells me the JBR case will not be actively investigated again. The people that were passionate about it have moved on to other things, and the whole case is just a black eye for the BPD. Why would they want to open that can of worms again. So unless a very incriminating piece of evidence falls in their laps, this one will remain unsolved IMO.

If anyone has reviewed YouTube videos of AH it may be recalled that AH used to speak as though the reason this couldn’t be tried is because there’s not the evidence to support the most serious charge - murder in the first or felony murder.

In trying to understand this further I learned that AH actually misunderstood the law. It seems AH believed he had to have someone to charge with the murder before going to court. From Schiller: In addition, the DA believed that under Colorado law an accessory could be charged only when a principal was charged.* The footnote in PMPT says: *This is not Colorado law. The successful prosecution of an accessory does not require the charging of a principal. Howard v. People, 51 P.2d 594(1935); Britto v. People.
Britto v. People, Supreme Court of Colorado, May 8, 1972.
It is inconsequential whether or not the principal was ever charged with the criminal offense. Oaks v. People, 161 Colo. 561, 424 P.2d 115 (1967).

I also found out (thanks cynic),however, if the Rs had been tried on “lesser charges,” such as child abuse leading to death and regardless of whether the result was an acquittal or conviction, it would have precluded the possibility of further prosecution for a homicide, even if additional evidence turned up pointing to one or both of them being responsible for it.

Also, as far as AH and the True Bills go, it might be worthwhile to contribute a bit more perspective on the actions this DA took. Outside of AH’s office and his circle of advisors, a number of attorneys were incredulous that a prosecutor would not proceed to court to prosecute after receiving a True Bill; and, moreover, that he was too (cough, ahem) “shy” to handle this by going to court and asking for the Indictment to be set aside.

Tom Kelley, the media attorney who represented Brennan and the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press in the court battle, calls Hunter's burying of the True Bills a "terrible precedent."
"It was an incredible decision to pocket that indictment and lead the public to believe there had been no indictment," he says.

It is true that the principal does not have to be charged/convicted. But if someone were tried as an accessory, evidence of the alleged murder would still be presented. This most often happens when the alleged murderer is dead. If a minor were the alleged killer, there would IMO be no murder to offer evidence of. The intent, a key element, would be missing. I do believe there may not have been enough evidence to confidently proceed, but that rarely stops prosecutors in a case such as this one. Their behavior is odd, but not wrong IMO. If they did believe a minor committed the crime, I don't have an issue with their behavior. I'm not saying it is ideal, but that was what the law was. There was no "justice" that could have been pursued - I find that to be a complete illusion in murder cases. Nothing brings the victim back or gives he/she an ounce of comfort. There will never be justice for JonBenet, tragically.

It is true that the principal does not have to be charged/convicted. But if someone were tried as an accessory, evidence of the alleged murder would still be presented. This most often happens when the alleged murderer is dead. If a minor were the alleged killer, there would IMO be no murder to offer evidence of. The intent, a key element, would be missing. I do believe there may not have been enough evidence to confidently proceed, but that rarely stops prosecutors in a case such as this one. Their behavior is odd, but not wrong IMO. If they did believe a minor committed the crime, I don't have an issue with their behavior. I'm not saying it is ideal, but that was what the law was. There was no "justice" that could have been pursued - I find that to be a complete illusion in murder cases. Nothing brings the victim back or gives he/she an ounce of comfort. There will never be justice for JonBenet, tragically.

First, we really don’t know that the murder charge applied to the underage male. Could be, or could be the GJ was not certain of this. So setting aside the “accessory charge” to murder, the case could have been pursued as one of child abuse and accessory to child abuse. This is simply my opinion, but it’s based on research. Not my only point, however.

Respectfully, I disagree 180 degrees on the DA’s behavior being simply “odd”. And let me apologize in advance if I come across impatient. I mean nothing personal towards you, very much respecting that you’ve a law degree and background experience in criminal justice. But there seems to be a gap in knowledge about the application of the law by this Boulder DA AH.

AH fought to keep this case, in spite of the explosive nature of it. If he didn’t know he was over his head in handling a case in which the evidence was primarily circumstantial, he may have had other reasons for holding onto the case against the recommended guidelines for attorneys to avoid even the ‘impression’ of impropriety. We really don’t know. But I do know AH had actually a very good excuse for bowing out as he had a business relationship with the attorney who handled the Rs’ private legal affairs. The chief deputy PH in that office was in tight with JR’s criminal attorney (BM), once voicing loudly that his decades of having breakfast with BM would not stop, in spite of the R case or the ‘impression’ of impropriety. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg as far as this particular office. Silverman, a Denver attorney made the public claim once that AH was known as being the weakest DA within the state. Peter Boyles called him Monty Hall (as in Let’s Make a Deal fame). I mention this as Silverman and Boyles are in more position to know these things than most of us here.

There was a very long tradition of plea bargaining under AH’s direction. Some of the plea bargaining with defense attorneys occurred before anyone had been charged. (Example: Thayne Smika case in which AH signed an agreement with the defense attorney not to indict.) Another example of going easy on attempted murder perps was this story from ST’s book: PH, a chief deputy in AH’s office was dealing down more than 90 percent of the felony cases in Boulder County, including some of the most heinous crimes one could imagine— murders, rapes, and cocaine dealing. In just one example, a man sliced the throat of another man from ear to ear outside a Pearl Street bar in 1981, then fled. Somehow the victim survived. The suspect was found on the Caribbean island of St. Croix eleven years later and extradited back to Boulder to face attempted murder charges. The sentence after the plea bargain was three years’ probation, which he was allowed to serve in St. Croix.

By the mid-1990s, AH admitted the plea- bargaining figure for his office was about 93 percent, although one newspaper put it nearer 97 percent of the felony cases. At the start of the year 2000, one of his own deputies, MK (ML), was campaigning to become district attorney herself and claimed that only seven-tenths of 1 percent of the cases filed in Boulder go to trial. That meant an astounding 99.3 percent of the cases were being plea-bargained!
IRMI, pp63-64 Kindle Edition.

On the JonBenet case one of the strong complaints from ST was that AH refused to allow warrants for phone and credit card records at the very beginning. By the time warrants were prepared, the cell phone records had magically disappeared for the month of December. AH also signed an agreement with the defense attorneys that the R family medical records were off-limits. Another complaint was the long delay to establish a GJ.

According to many, the initiation of a GJ should have occurred much much earlier. This was noted not just by Kane, but also by the FBI, who were urging AH to establish the GJ and put the Rs under oath. Here is their brief exchange from PMPT: “With no disrespect to your position as DA,” said Bill Hagmaier of the FBI, “I know the grand jury is your call—” “Yes, it’s my call,” Hunter said, cutting him off. “And I’ll make that decision after I’ve considered all the alternatives—” “But this little girl has been dead and buried for over eighteen months,” Hagmaier continued in a firm voice. Hunter turned red. “This is a political decision,” he said. “It is not a police decision.”

FWIW, I know there will be no traditional “justice” for JonBenet. I've no illusions about this. My intent is simply to discern what truths may still be told.

First, we really don’t know that the murder charge applied to the underage male. Could be, or could be the GJ was not certain of this. So setting aside the “accessory charge” to murder, the case could have been pursued as one of child abuse and accessory to child abuse. This is simply my opinion, but it’s based on research. Not my only point, however.

But then why the accessory to murder charge? Even if the GJ was not thinking about an underage male, it still makes no sense. I have no idea what they were thinking and am not a strong BDI adherent. I just don't have much faith that the GJ's interpretation of whatever they saw that we don't have.

Respectfully, I disagree 180 degrees on the DA’s behavior being simply “odd”. And let me apologize in advance if I come across impatient. I mean nothing personal towards you, very much respecting that you’ve a law degree and background experience in criminal justice. But there seems to be a gap in knowledge about the application of the law by this Boulder DA AH.

AH fought to keep this case, in spite of the explosive nature of it. If he didn’t know he was over his head in handling a case in which the evidence was primarily circumstantial, he may have had other reasons for holding onto the case against the recommended guidelines for attorneys to avoid even the ‘impression’ of impropriety. We really don’t know. But I do know AH had actually a very good excuse for bowing out as he had a business relationship with the attorney who handled the Rs’ private legal affairs. The chief deputy PH in that office was in tight with JR’s criminal attorney (BM), once voicing loudly that his decades of having breakfast with BM would not stop, in spite of the R case or the ‘impression’ of impropriety. But that’s just the tip of the iceberg as far as this particular office. Silverman, a Denver attorney made the public claim once that AH was known as being the weakest DA within the state. Peter Boyles called him Monty Hall (as in Let’s Make a Deal fame). I mention this as Silverman and Boyles are in more position to know these things than most of us here.

AH may well have been a very weak prosecutor. I don't really get the significance of that, though. DAs aren't looking for excuses to give their cases away and to admit they are over their heads - they like explosive cases. Doesn't mean they handle them well. There's the issue of pride, especially if other DAs are saying stuff about his ability to handle things.

There was a very long tradition of plea bargaining under AH’s direction. Some of the plea bargaining with defense attorneys occurred before anyone had been charged. (Example: Thayne Smika case in which AH signed an agreement with the defense attorney not to indict.) Another example of going easy on attempted murder perps was this story from ST’s book: PH, a chief deputy in AH’s office was dealing down more than 90 percent of the felony cases in Boulder County, including some of the most heinous crimes one could imagine— murders, rapes, and cocaine dealing. In just one example, a man sliced the throat of another man from ear to ear outside a Pearl Street bar in 1981, then fled. Somehow the victim survived. The suspect was found on the Caribbean island of St. Croix eleven years later and extradited back to Boulder to face attempted murder charges. The sentence after the plea bargain was three years’ probation, which he was allowed to serve in St. Croix.

By the mid-1990s, AH admitted the plea- bargaining figure for his office was about 93 percent, although one newspaper put it nearer 97 percent of the felony cases. At the start of the year 2000, one of his own deputies, MK (ML), was campaigning to become district attorney herself and claimed that only seven-tenths of 1 percent of the cases filed in Boulder go to trial. That meant an astounding 99.3 percent of the cases were being plea-bargained!

But less than 10% of cases in the US ever go to trial - I think the average is over 90% involve a deal of some sort. Those are not astounding statistics. Trials almost never happen. That's not to say one shouldn't have happened in this case, but that's not odd at all. And also very different from not even prosecuting the case.

I have no doubt the way this was handled disadvantaged the ability to progress with the case. Can someone explain how all these agreements happened though? Prosecutors can agree to give people immunity as to certain things, such as discussions about medical records, but agree not not to even ask for them? How does that work, except informally? And he may well have decided to go easy on them for a variety of reasons - that happens. DAs have discretion. I don't like how this was handled. I also don't find it shocking. When to convene a GJ is also a matter of discretion. People can complain all they want and their points are probably correct. But it wasn't their call. DAs are frequently political. I don't know what PMPT is but I assume it is a book written by someone who worked on the case - that description of a "firm voice" and "turning red" sounds like someone writing a crime novel. It's not a factual document. I'm not saying there's no truth to it but it is completely based on the author's recollection. Again, I'm not saying the DA did a great job here or didn't hinder the investigation. I just don't see how it matters. Everyone knows this investigation was not handled well, which is why we've had no resolution and so much suspicion over wildly different versions of events. It just doesn't lead me any closer to the truth of what happened - incompetence, politics, sympathy for the Ramseys, some sort of connections we don't know about - why they chose not to prosecute, I don't know. DAs and defense attorneys frequently misapply the law - really well-researched/nuanced attorneys are few and far between IMO. But we have no credible info that he misunderstood the law and that was the reason he did not prosecute. And just because the principal does not have to be charged in order to bring the case does not mean it is typical or advisable to do it - it suggests that you are going to have a lot of trouble proving that case. It's all a matter of discretion - Colorado law allows it. It doesn't mandate it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cashmeoutside
Back