UK UK - Claudia Lawrence, 35, York University, 18 March 2009 - Chef - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/141...stigation_set_to_continue_into_2016_/?ref=rss

Claudia Lawrence investigation set to continue into 2016.

The men, who are all from the York area and aged in their fifties, were arrested in March and April but later released from police bail. However, the force said a file of evidence has been presented to the Crown Prosecution Service by North Yorkshire Police's Major Crimes Unit.

In coming months, the CPS are expected to consider the evidence before them and advise North Yorkshire Police on how the investigation should proceed, and whether any charges or prosecutions should be brought.

Nothing new but afresh remarkable perhaps:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/617781/Claudia-Lawrence-missing-mother-blunder-photo-police

Vanished Claudia’s mother hits out at ‘blunder’ over photo

Her mother said the image did not show how she looked at the time of her disappearance.

“I’d been with her the week before and she put auburn highlights in her hair,” she said.

“Around half a dozen people phoned the incident team to say it was the wrong photograph.

“It took a long time to get the right photograph out there.”
-.-.-.-

Joan recalled how she was with Claudia’s sister Ali when a call came from Peter saying she was missing.

Joan told the show, Donal McIntyre: Unsolved: “It was her father saying Claudia had disappeared and that was nearly 48 hours after she had gone. I had no idea what happened in those 48 hours.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/killer-cabbie-christopher-halliwell-was-probably-1391898

"How many do I need to become a serial killer?" Evil cabbie's sick words to cellmate

The evil cabbie – jailed for 25 years last week for stabbing to death clubber Sian O’Callaghan, 22 – worked across the country and owned around 80 different cars in which he is thought to have picked up victims.

Police are convinced he struck in the eight-year gap between the murders of Sian and first victim Becky Godden-Edwards, 20 - ....

Halliwell, 48 is thought to have used his taxi driver job as a cover to target girls outside clubs and in red light districts late at night.

It also emerged yesterday he was obsessed with multiple murder and studied forensics to keep one step ahead of police.
-.-.-.-
They added: “We know he travelled all over the country working as a driver, or in the construction industry, and we are also looking at where he took his holidays on his narrow boat. He could have left victims anywhere in the UK.
-.-.-.-
The cabbie claimed he did not know Becky’s name – only that he killed her in 2003, 2004 or 2005.
-.-.-.-
Halliwell regularly spent time alone in his own narrow boat on the Kennet and Avon canal, which he has since sold.

Almost no evidence of Halliwell’s forensic “footprint” could be found in the home he shared with his 55-year-old ex-lover.

A source said: “It was as if he didn’t live there. It leads us to ask if he has some other premises, a lock-up or similar, somewhere else, which does contain his life and - horrifically - maybe trophies of his victims.”

If the reward is still available and somebody knows something now's the time to come forward and claim it. IF the CPS proceed anyway without help, the reward may be be off the table. So if anybody reading this knows anything, now is the time....

Hello all, I'm new here but over the Christmas holidays I had a read through the whole of the last thread and this one and jotted down a few notes. I hope I'm not treading on anyone's toes here and my notes may not be of any use/may not be relevant but if something can help that would be great, however I might ramble on a bit and some of them are just random thoughts I had when reading that other people may have already thought of, so apologies if so!
I'm a student at York St John University and have been for the last four years, and have lived in a few different areas in York. My parents live in Derbyshire but are from York, with a lot of family in Yorkshire and family and family friends in the Malton area, so this case has been one that has kinda been on the radar since Claudia's disappearance. I know York and North/East Yorkshire pretty well, so if anyone has any questions about the area and isn't from around here I may be able to help too. I also think I have been in Richard Cartwright's house (after he died of course).

There's a few links I wanted to share too, so to avoid any confusion I'll do that here. I don't think they have been shared and discussed yet, and I'll post my notes in a new post below.

Firstly, there's this: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/claudia-lawrences-mum-turn-detective-6813185
It's from November 2015, here's a quote '[h=2]Joan Lawrence will talk to regulars at Claudia's favourite pub to try to end her six year nightmare'[/h]
I'm pretty sure last week I read another article saying Claudia's mum had shown pictures to the men in the pub as well (it wasn't the article with the photos released of her as a child that someone posted above) but I can't find it now so perhaps I am mistaken. However, the assumption is there that the secret to all this lies within the pub.

Also, this link showing that a burglar/burglary suspect was questioned back in 2010. I hadn't heard anything about this so presumably nothing came off it, and it's probably a bit far fetched, but a burglary aspect could be interesting to follow up, especially with some of her missing items like the straighteners. Has anyone considered the man in the second CCTV (if it isn't Richard Cartwright) could be a burglar? The link is here: http://metro.co.uk/2010/08/09/burglar-questioned-about-missing-chef-claudia-lawrence-473779/

Also this, no new evidence about Claudia but its about her mum: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/claudia-lawrences-mum-forges-friendship-7116831

So here's my aforementioned notes, most of them are probably rubbish but you never know, something might trigger a memory or mean something to someone. Personally I think whatever happened either happened in her house (why leave her debit cards etc) or very close to home. Claudia taking her phone but not her cards suggests she may have been in a hurry too.

Firstly, I thought I had previously been in the house that Richard Cartwright lived in. I went to a house party on East Parade on Halloween of 2014 (I remember everything though, I'm one of those people who somehow manages to remember everything after a night out), and I did a google search of Richard's house. I was absolutely sure that the party I went to was either in his house or the one next door, however I have since found the house with the party was number 63 (next door to Cartwright's - number 61). If anyone is interested here is a link from a student letting advertising it two years ago, no pictures though but the description may be pretty interesting as they are all pretty similar on that section of East Parade: http://www.union-lets.co.uk/details.aspx?id=945

Anyway, the houses in that area are pretty similar with the layout and garden, and from the garden of number 63 you could see into the garden of 61 a little bit, its the type of terraced house with a long garden and a long kitchen backing onto the living room. 63 seemed pretty newly done up and is a student house, and I've heard 61 may now be a student house but I wouldn't know for definite. Anyway, it would be interesting to find out who owns it now and if the owner of 63 had some sort of relation to 61 (or if Cartwright had ever had a connection with 63 as he owned and renovated a lot of properties, as I can probably find out more info about 63 and know a little about it and the layout). However, my immediate thought when I saw a relation between this area and where Claudia lived (apart from being obviously close to each other in Heworth) was of the gardens at the back of the houses.

Most student terraced houses I've been in have had the galley kitchens at the back and a tiny yard, whereas 63 (and the houses next to it) had rather large and long gardens at the back, and at the back of the garden of 63 there was a gate out of the garden in the middle of the fence that surrounded the garden. Pretty high fences, but you could see a little bit into the next door gardens, and as the houses and gardens were all pretty similar, I'm sure they were all shaped and designed the same way. Google maps will tell you otherwise (I reckon the pictures are pretty old on there) but when I was there after the gardens there was what I would call a 'scrubland' behind, leading onto the small alley road at the back of the houses that is a dead end at one end and leads onto Eastern Terrace at the other end. It may have been changed now, but I remember I walked down there a few times in daylight and evening and it struck me as desolate for such a small area.

Incidentally, from there you can get onto Eastern Terrace and go past the Co-Op to the houses via the main road, so you can loop round, but it very much reminded me of somewhere I wouldn't like to get lost at night (the streets in York can sometimes be rabbit warrenish and often connect up via alleyways). I thought I might have some photos of the area but unfortunately not really, all I have is a picture of me in Eastern Terrace next to the co op which wouldn't be of much help, but I am willing to have a wander round sometime and check it out again. I wonder if anything was ever checked out in that area by the police, due to Cartwright living very close by, and that also led me onto my next thought - what was Cartwright's relation to the men that were arrested recently (I heard they were in some of the houses he had renovated?) and does anyone know where they may have lived beforehand? I feel that he may have some link to the case but I am not sure what.

Now onto the CCTV - firstly I agree that there is someone in front of the window of that house (I believe it may be 36 Heworth Road) at the top of the screen in the evening clip. I find it odd the police have not noticed this (unless they have and have identified the people living there) but that person could have seen everything that went on (eg. both people in the CCTV clip the police were looking for) and the way they just appear when the dark man (that is what I shall call him here) comes back but he is not there beforehand is odd too. I wish we had the CCTV in between him walking down towards the alleyway behind Claudia's house and back up again to see where they appear from. Rightmove says the house sold in 2004 so those people would still be living there, unless its rented (same landlord though). Another thing I found odd about the evening CCTV was that the police seemed to assume it was a different person to the person in the first bit of CCTV (Cartwright), yet most of us on here identified them as walking in the same manner, with the same lope and stride so perhaps they have something or some technology that says different? There are also those people who walk to the left at the start of the video, I wonder if they have been traced at all.

I also wondered if perhaps the dark man stops, not because he doesn't want someone to see him doing something shifty, but because he doesn't like the person who has just walked in front of him, or that that person could be someone well known in the area as a nasty person? IE perhaps the person in white could be the dodgy one instead of the dark man. At one point when he is stood still it almost looks like he turns sideways to look behind him, but I believe that may just be the way his feet are placed. However, that made me wonder if there could be someone behind him, either someone he was colluding with or perhaps the dark man was just an innocent man and the real killer could have been lurking in the background which is a rather spooky idea. I also thought the dark man might have had the bag with him when he went towards the alleyway, so what was he doing if so? Not collecting the bag, perhaps a burglar (far fetched I know)?

I was recently thinking about the man who turned up at her house a few days before her disappearance - the one who was on his phone when going to Claudia's door that she looked annoyed/anxious about seeing. A few people seemed to think it may have been a surprise and that they may have been on the phone with each other as Claudia was also on the phone however I think they could have been on the phone to two different people, and hung up at the same time as it is the polite thing to do. Claudia may also have looked annoyed due to having to answer the door whilst on the phone, or because she had to hang up quickly.

A couple of last points - anyone else think the straighteners and the hair dye have to be connected? Otherwise it's a massive red herring. How soon after dying your hair can you straighten it? Perhaps Claudia took her straighteners wherever she went (assuming she went somewhere) because she couldn't straighten her hair at home/wanted to straighten it later. Straighteners seem like such an old thing to go missing and suggests she may have been somewhere else staying over -surely if she had just been at a friends then they would have come forward with them.
Also with the left handed smoking man, a few people pointed out quite rightly that just because he smokes left handed it doesn't mean that he is left handed. Perhaps that's a clue in itself though, it could be someone who is right handed but usually smokes with their left hand or someone ambidextrous. Police also found a cigarette butt in Claudia's car which they couldn't identify, however in the news it has been reported that the police were looking for a left handed smoker in conjunction with this - do we think this is due to the supposed sighting of a left handed smoker with Claudia or something else?

One last thing (sorry I've gone on a lot!), it's a little morbid but something I wondered about when the recent floods were happening. If there was a body hidden or buried somewhere (personally I think if there is it must be relatively close to where Claudia lived), would it be possible for the floods and the water to dislodge it somehow? I've also heard a couple of people around York saying that the river may be a good place to put a body but I doubt that a body could have been in there for that long (especially with the floods), without being dislodged. There's also been some talk (for years actually) from people about the possibility of a serial killer in York due to some disappearances and deaths in the last decade or so, however I believe that may be unlikely.

I know York pretty well though, so if anyone wants anything scouting out or wants to meet up and have a chat about all this over a pint (check out the Nags Head maybe?) then I'm up for it.

Welcome to Ws howkflakegirl1, delighted you have joined us here and thanks for all the food for thought!

:wagon:

So here's my aforementioned notes, most of them are probably rubbish but you never know, something might trigger a memory or mean something to someone. Personally I think whatever happened either happened in her house (why leave her debit cards etc) or very close to home. Claudia taking her phone but not her cards suggests she may have been in a hurry too.

Firstly, I thought I had previously been in the house that Richard Cartwright lived in. I went to a house party on East Parade on Halloween of 2014 (I remember everything though, I'm one of those people who somehow manages to remember everything after a night out), and I did a google search of Richard's house. I was absolutely sure that the party I went to was either in his house or the one next door, however I have since found the house with the party was number 63 (next door to Cartwright's - number 61). If anyone is interested here is a link from a student letting advertising it two years ago, no pictures though but the description may be pretty interesting as they are all pretty similar on that section of East Parade: http://www.union-lets.co.uk/details.aspx?id=945

Anyway, the houses in that area are pretty similar with the layout and garden, and from the garden of number 63 you could see into the garden of 61 a little bit, its the type of terraced house with a long garden and a long kitchen backing onto the living room. 63 seemed pretty newly done up and is a student house, and I've heard 61 may now be a student house but I wouldn't know for definite. Anyway, it would be interesting to find out who owns it now and if the owner of 63 had some sort of relation to 61 (or if Cartwright had ever had a connection with 63 as he owned and renovated a lot of properties, as I can probably find out more info about 63 and know a little about it and the layout). However, my immediate thought when I saw a relation between this area and where Claudia lived (apart from being obviously close to each other in Heworth) was of the gardens at the back of the houses.

Most student terraced houses I've been in have had the galley kitchens at the back and a tiny yard, whereas 63 (and the houses next to it) had rather large and long gardens at the back, and at the back of the garden of 63 there was a gate out of the garden in the middle of the fence that surrounded the garden. Pretty high fences, but you could see a little bit into the next door gardens, and as the houses and gardens were all pretty similar, I'm sure they were all shaped and designed the same way. Google maps will tell you otherwise (I reckon the pictures are pretty old on there) but when I was there after the gardens there was what I would call a 'scrubland' behind, leading onto the small alley road at the back of the houses that is a dead end at one end and leads onto Eastern Terrace at the other end. It may have been changed now, but I remember I walked down there a few times in daylight and evening and it struck me as desolate for such a small area.

Incidentally, from there you can get onto Eastern Terrace and go past the Co-Op to the houses via the main road, so you can loop round, but it very much reminded me of somewhere I wouldn't like to get lost at night (the streets in York can sometimes be rabbit warrenish and often connect up via alleyways). I thought I might have some photos of the area but unfortunately not really, all I have is a picture of me in Eastern Terrace next to the co op which wouldn't be of much help, but I am willing to have a wander round sometime and check it out again. I wonder if anything was ever checked out in that area by the police, due to Cartwright living very close by, and that also led me onto my next thought - what was Cartwright's relation to the men that were arrested recently (I heard they were in some of the houses he had renovated?) and does anyone know where they may have lived beforehand? I feel that he may have some link to the case but I am not sure what.

Now onto the CCTV - firstly I agree that there is someone in front of the window of that house (I believe it may be 36 Heworth Road) at the top of the screen in the evening clip. I find it odd the police have not noticed this (unless they have and have identified the people living there) but that person could have seen everything that went on (eg. both people in the CCTV clip the police were looking for) and the way they just appear when the dark man (that is what I shall call him here) comes back but he is not there beforehand is odd too. I wish we had the CCTV in between him walking down towards the alleyway behind Claudia's house and back up again to see where they appear from. Rightmove says the house sold in 2004 so those people would still be living there, unless its rented (same landlord though). Another thing I found odd about the evening CCTV was that the police seemed to assume it was a different person to the person in the first bit of CCTV (Cartwright), yet most of us on here identified them as walking in the same manner, with the same lope and stride so perhaps they have something or some technology that says different? There are also those people who walk to the left at the start of the video, I wonder if they have been traced at all.

I also wondered if perhaps the dark man stops, not because he doesn't want someone to see him doing something shifty, but because he doesn't like the person who has just walked in front of him, or that that person could be someone well known in the area as a nasty person? IE perhaps the person in white could be the dodgy one instead of the dark man. At one point when he is stood still it almost looks like he turns sideways to look behind him, but I believe that may just be the way his feet are placed. However, that made me wonder if there could be someone behind him, either someone he was colluding with or perhaps the dark man was just an innocent man and the real killer could have been lurking in the background which is a rather spooky idea. I also thought the dark man might have had the bag with him when he went towards the alleyway, so what was he doing if so? Not collecting the bag, perhaps a burglar (far fetched I know)?

I was recently thinking about the man who turned up at her house a few days before her disappearance - the one who was on his phone when going to Claudia's door that she looked annoyed/anxious about seeing. A few people seemed to think it may have been a surprise and that they may have been on the phone with each other as Claudia was also on the phone however I think they could have been on the phone to two different people, and hung up at the same time as it is the polite thing to do. Claudia may also have looked annoyed due to having to answer the door whilst on the phone, or because she had to hang up quickly.

A couple of last points - anyone else think the straighteners and the hair dye have to be connected? Otherwise it's a massive red herring. How soon after dying your hair can you straighten it? Perhaps Claudia took her straighteners wherever she went (assuming she went somewhere) because she couldn't straighten her hair at home/wanted to straighten it later. Straighteners seem like such an old thing to go missing and suggests she may have been somewhere else staying over -surely if she had just been at a friends then they would have come forward with them.
Also with the left handed smoking man, a few people pointed out quite rightly that just because he smokes left handed it doesn't mean that he is left handed. Perhaps that's a clue in itself though, it could be someone who is right handed but usually smokes with their left hand or someone ambidextrous. Police also found a cigarette butt in Claudia's car which they couldn't identify, however in the news it has been reported that the police were looking for a left handed smoker in conjunction with this - do we think this is due to the supposed sighting of a left handed smoker with Claudia or something else?

One last thing (sorry I've gone on a lot!), it's a little morbid but something I wondered about when the recent floods were happening. If there was a body hidden or buried somewhere (personally I think if there is it must be relatively close to where Claudia lived), would it be possible for the floods and the water to dislodge it somehow? I've also heard a couple of people around York saying that the river may be a good place to put a body but I doubt that a body could have been in there for that long (especially with the floods), without being dislodged. There's also been some talk (for years actually) from people about the possibility of a serial killer in York due to some disappearances and deaths in the last decade or so, however I believe that may be unlikely.

I know York pretty well though, so if anyone wants anything scouting out or wants to meet up and have a chat about all this over a pint (check out the Nags Head maybe?) then I'm up for it.

bbm

The man was wearing a dark-coloured jacket with what appears to be a lighter coloured hoodie top underneath. He was also wearing blue jeans and had short, mid-brown hair.
He appeared to be of slim build and was carrying a brown-coloured bag.
The man paid for his fare with his left hand and the man involved in the argument was smoking a cigarette which he held in his left hand.
A passing cyclist has told officers they had seen a man and woman on Melrosegate Bridge at around 5.35am on March 19.

http://images.google.de/imgres?imgu...hUKEwjOx6DtkcXKAhXEGg4KHb-RC8w4yAEQrQMIhQEwKw

ManBusClaudiaUK.jpg

Has he been found, I wonder?
Connections between him and RC, I wonder?

:welcome: to websleuths neighbour :)

I live across town now but I lived on Heworth Green for a couple of years and grew up off Hull Road. It's good to have someone here who knows the area like I do!!

bbm

The man was wearing a dark-coloured jacket with what appears to be a lighter coloured hoodie top underneath. He was also wearing blue jeans and had short, mid-brown hair.
He appeared to be of slim build and was carrying a brown-coloured bag.
The man paid for his fare with his left hand and the man involved in the argument was smoking a cigarette which he held in his left hand.
A passing cyclist has told officers they had seen a man and woman on Melrosegate Bridge at around 5.35am on March 19.

http://images.google.de/imgres?imgu...hUKEwjOx6DtkcXKAhXEGg4KHb-RC8w4yAEQrQMIhQEwKw

View attachment 87980

I can't see an appeal for him at a quick glance on NYP website, maybe he's been traced. Also re. the men still on bail, my question is would they have to give DNA or would it be voluntary? If it's voluntary then any one of them who hasn't given DNA could be the person who left a cig butt in her car.

Edited to add - They guy boarding the bus looks older than mid 20's to me, looks nearer 35 plus. JMO

bbm

I wonder that too. I think that grassy garden area behind those houses on East Parade should be checked out if they haven't already been though, I told one of my friends who visited the party there about Cartwright's supposed involvement and his house being there and she was immediately like 'Oh wow, it was all swamp and scrubland behind there, bit creepy!' and put 2 and 2 together.

I wonder that too. I think that grassy garden area behind those houses on East Parade should be checked out if they haven't already been though, I told one of my friends who visited the party there about Cartwright's supposed involvement and his house being there and she was immediately like 'Oh wow, it was all swamp and scrubland behind there, bit creepy!' and put 2 and 2 together.

Oh my god, just imagine if they found her so close to her house.

It'd be weird wouldn't it, after all the searches they've done around her house. I think she must be in a closeish vicinity to her house

Who knows. Local speculation at the time suggested she was under the foundations of a new building (part of the uni, I think), presumably because of all the builders she was friends with. If that's what happened she might never be found.

Off topic, but you know how several people have been "arrested on suspicion of murder" without a body or any evidence? Well why don't they do that in other cases. I'm thinking particularly of DeOrr Kunz and William Tyrrell, both missing and both with suspects/POI's. Why can't those people be arrested on suspicion of murder, might make them talk more! Are we (as in UK) a bit more handcuff happy when it comes to pitting pressure on suspects because a lot of people have been nicked and questioned about Claudia, without a shred of evidence.

I just saw a documentary on Netflix about the Joanna Yates murder and it does seem that in the UK, police have powers to arrest and question suspects that they would not have in the US.

In this case, all evidence points to the likelihood that someone she knew, perhaps a jilted suitor, stalked her and snatched her off the street during her walk to work. It is extremely rare for a stranger to abduct a grown woman of the street. There would certainly be a loud struggle and people would notice. In addition, a sexual predator who abducts a stranger has no particular need to conceal the body of the victim. Disposing of a body, particularly in a place like England where there are not vast tracks of wasteland, entails quite a bit of risk. you would expect a stranger to dump the body by the roadside.

All and all, everything in this case points to someone she knew and probably rejected. The problem is that many of her relationships were on the low down so the usual practice of interviewing everyone she knew was made more difficult. The use of arrest and police bail to pressure those who would not talk seems to have been applied in this case. So far, to no avail.

From what I understand, cell phone triangulation indicates that Claudia spent the night, two days before her disappearance, in a different neighborhood from her own. This would suggest a lover who was unmarried (or at least not living with his wife). This mystery lover has never come forward and has not been identified. I suspect that much of the investigation has focused on finding this guy.

When I first read of this case, I assumed it would be a case of "if I can't have her, then nobody can have her" and some loser with a history of abuse would quickly be arrested. Unfortunately, Claudia's rather secretive social life complicated the investigation and the perpetrator may get off Scott free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member