Missouri - The Springfield Three--missing since June 1992 - #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
First let me say that this is a very sad story and my heart goes out to the families. It's just torture not to know what happened.
I feel like LE has a pretty good idea who was involved but will be unable to make an arrest without either locating the women or a confession to police. They may have DNA but there's too much reasonable doubt because of the contaminated scene. No DA could bring that to trial and they pretty much have one shot. Also without any remains, that's also resonable doubt. Their hands are tied. As with most cases someone knows something but is not talking. Whoever was responsible told someone or had strange behavior, they always do. This is one of those cases that the motivation just baffles me. It would be really hard to control three women in the middle of the night without bringing attention from neighbors or someone. It seems like SM was taken either quickly and by surprise or forcibly because of what she was wearing. If we can even be sure that is accurate. Gun makes sense that would be the weapon to scare them. I do think they all knew the perp or perps and this narrows down who to look at significantly. But why? Very strange case.

First let me say that this is a very sad story and my heart goes out to the families. It's just torture not to know what happened.

I feel like LE has a pretty good idea who was involved but will be unable to make an arrest without either locating the women or a confession to police. They may have DNA but there's too much reasonable doubt because of the contaminated scene. No DA could bring that to trial and they pretty much have one shot. Also without any remains, that's also resonable doubt. Their hands are tied. As with most cases someone knows something but is not talking. Whoever was responsible told someone or had strange behavior, they always do. This is one of those cases that the motivation just baffles me. It would be really hard to control three women in the middle of the night without bringing attention from neighbors or someone. It seems like SM was taken either quickly and by surprise or forcibly because of what she was wearing. If we can even be sure that is accurate. Gun makes sense that would be the weapon to scare them. I do think they all knew the perp or perps and this narrows down who to look at significantly. But why? Very strange case.

The motive would be invaluable. Right now we are grasping at straws.

Over the years I have communicated with many people about this case. But the motive is illusive. There are three main reasons for killing someone. They are revenge, jealousy and profit. I would add one more and that is a thrill killing. That has a sexual component. Bundy and BTK come to mind.

Sherrill had several hundred dollars in her purse. What does that tell us?
It suggests that that money was pocket change to the perp.

Revenge is a possible if done in retaliation for “outing” the grave vandalism. One has said in another forum that he had been cleared and claimed to have been given some or all of the documents concerning himself. Probably not the motive.

Jealousy is a possible since one of the grave robbers had an on again relationship and blamed Suzie. Possible.

We are left with the profit motive and the thrill kill. I’m going to rule out the thrill killing as those usually leave the bodies somewhere to be found.

It would seem the profit angle is the most likely. That conjures us the possibility of drugs. A former police officer I was in touch with several years ago opined that it was drugs centered out of the Rogersville area. But as to the famous crime family there I am agnostic. My $0.02 for today.

I just think it had to be planned ....but this is putting rational thoughts on irrational actions. I also believe IMO that everyone was in bed and asleep when the perp(s) showed up at the house. Little details like did they have a van or use two vehicles? As far as I have read, the house didn't show any signs of a struggle. When you say drugs, you mean they had knowledge of drugs or people selling/using? I kind of always thought the two girls witnessed something that put their lives at risk.

I personally rule out Cox as I personally am of the opinion it was someone who knew one or more of the victims. There is no real evidence that Cox knew any of the victims. Yes, I realize he at one time worked at the same dealership with Stu McCall, but there's no proof he ever met Stacy. And if he did meet Stacy and became fixated on her, why not catch her alone and abduct her? Why take on 2 other healthy grown women? Plus the plans kept evolving, first going to a hotel in Branson, then spending the night at JK's, then finally to Sherrill's home. There's no way Cox could have known this unless he literally stalked them all night long which I find hard to buy. My belief is Sherrill's house was targeted that night. Why I don't know. By who, I don't know either, but I'm sure it was someone after either her or Suzy for a reason. Sadly we don't have that reason.

BTW, has anyone ever found a reason why Sherrill had around $900.00 in cash in her purse? By today's calculations that over $1575.00. I know the money wasn't stolen ruling out robbery, but that's a lot of money to be carrying around with you. Maybe credit cards weren't as common in 1992, but that would make me incredibly nervous to walk around with all that cash.

I have always felt there was a drug angle to this. Not too sound like a broken record from my past posts, but my husband at that period in time was a prominent rock musician in a band that actively played in the Joplin/Springfield area. He and his band mates were heavily into cocaine. (Thank God he has left all that behind him, and is a God fearing decent man now). They were friends with a lot of the hair stylists in Springfield, and the drug scene in the hair styling industry was rampant. The musicians and hair stylists ran in the same circles, and I know for a fact drugs were sold and bought.

Having said that, I'm not implying Sherrill was necessarily involved in this personally as she was in her late 40's, whereas the hair stylists my husband knew were much younger, but I've often wondered if "she stumbled onto something and had to be silenced because she may have known too much".

Or my other theory, involves Suzy and the 3 graverobbers. Why were these young men robbing mausoleums for fillings to pawn? Ill gotten gains. What were they planning to do with the money? Obviously I have no proof, but my best guess would be drugs. Suzy was going to testify against them. Yet, poof, she disappears. What timing, what a coincidence.

I have always felt there was a drug angle to this. Not too sound like a broken record from my past posts, but my husband at that period in time was a prominent rock musician in a band that actively played in the Joplin/Springfield area. He and his band mates were heavily into cocaine. (Thank God he has left all that behind him, and is a God fearing decent man now). They were friends with a lot of the hair stylists in Springfield, and the drug scene in the hair styling industry was rampant. The musicians and hair stylists ran in the same circles, and I know for a fact drugs were sold and bought.

Having said that, I'm not implying Sherrill was necessarily involved in this personally as she was in her late 40's, whereas the hair stylists my husband knew were much younger, but I've often wondered if "she stumbled onto something and had to be silenced because she may have known too much".

Or my other theory, involves Suzy and the 3 graverobbers. Why were these young men robbing mausoleums for fillings to pawn? Ill gotten gains. What were they planning to do with the money? Obviously I have no proof, but my best guess would be drugs. Suzy was going to testify against them. Yet, poof, she disappears. What timing, what a coincidence.

That occurred to me at the time. We had a clerk in our office who used to be a stylist in a rural county. She said she would usually earn about $600 on a typical week. It may not mean that much. Some people carry a lot of cash with them.

My personal opinion is was the knowledge of drug dealing that may have led this crime. Someone, perhaps higher up the food chain, was concerned that the information was going to leak. There could have been an argument that led to this. My understanding is that this was a planned crime and I'm not trying to be evasive but I cannot pry the motive out of anyone and I have tried -- many times.

My understanding is that Sherrill was not into dealing drugs. I got that from a very knowledgeable source who knew her personally. Take it for what it is worth.

I honestly don't think Sherrill was personally involved in using or selling drugs....but as an older, mature stable woman with a child at home, was she possibly offended if drugs were being bought and sold out of the salon? Please understand, I have no first hand knowledge of the salon Sherrill worked at, but I do know for an absolute fact that the hair styling scene in Springfield at that time was immersed in the drug culture. Is it possible she saw or heard something and complained? Maybe threatened to say something to the authorities? I don't know. But I personally find that more plausible than a random killer entering the home in the middle of the night without breaking in. My opinion only.

:drumroll:

Rumor has it that "Crime Watch Daily" is doing a show concerning the 3W. I do wonder if it will just be same-o, same-o blah blah blah.

I for one hope the show explores the idea of Larry D. Hall being connected to the 3MW case. And I wish someone would find out if Hall was at the Pleasant Hope re-enactment the wknd the women disappeared. The Wilson's Creek battlefield (Springfield area) does have small 'battles' in the summer months, that should also be looked into for June 7, 1992.
Just my opinion.... :moo:

My problem with the Hall brothers is that, after seeing them on a few documentaries, they seem like imbeciles in real life. Either Larry or Gary has an IQ of approx 80....I don't think they could outsmart three women and I don't think other criminals would sign up with them as kingpin- too risky. The 3MW was a sophisticated crime. Larry's MO is pure brute force- abduct lone females from a van.

I personally rule out Cox as I personally am of the opinion it was someone who knew one or more of the victims. There is no real evidence that Cox knew any of the victims. Yes, I realize he at one time worked at the same dealership with Stu McCall, but there's no proof he ever met Stacy. And if he did meet Stacy and became fixated on her, why not catch her alone and abduct her? Why take on 2 other healthy grown women? Plus the plans kept evolving, first going to a hotel in Branson, then spending the night at JK's, then finally to Sherrill's home. There's no way Cox could have known this unless he literally stalked them all night long which I find hard to buy. My belief is Sherrill's house was targeted that night. Why I don't know. By who, I don't know either, but I'm sure it was someone after either her or Suzy for a reason. Sadly we don't have that reason.

Thank you. I agree and concur with you. That horse has been beat enough.
Very sad and unbelievably stressful for everyone involved, mostly for the victims family's but there are the 'unseen' who also live in anguish over this unsolved case.

Wish SPD would figure this out but doesn't look like they will by themselves.

My problem with the Hall brothers is that, after seeing them on a few documentaries, they seem like imbeciles in real life. Either Larry or Gary has an IQ of approx 80....I don't think they could outsmart three women and I don't think other criminals would sign up with them as kingpin- too risky. The 3MW was a sophisticated crime. Larry's MO is pure brute force- abduct lone females from a van.

Larry's IQ is @ 80, think it was a lack of nutrients and/or oxygen in the womb. Gary got all the 'goodies' from mom.
Have you read "In With The Devil"? The man who was sent in the prison to get info out of Larry, noted that to be supposedly not so smart, Larry was actually pretty clever on some subjects.
They both creep me out.
It's a stretch but at this juncture......wonder if they both have a 'viable alibi' concerning June 7, 1992.

I kind of always thought the two girls witnessed something that put their lives at risk.
Me too. I think they (or one of them) walked into a room at one of the parties and saw something they weren't supposed to(drug deal, assault, etc.).

Grad parties can get wild. There can also be a ton of people, many you know only casually or even have just met. The people attending the parties could run the gamut.

I lived in Joplin, Neosho, Anderson, and Seneca area from 92-97. Meth was becoming a big thing at the time for teens/early 20s. There was a run down motel in Joplin nicknamed meth motel because they cooked it there. Quite a few girls at Seneca High were taking it. That was a beautiful little town but it had these shacks called Stan's Cabins. They were an eye sore. Teens used to go there all the time to buy. It was kids you never would've thought would be using but they were. Literally no other reason to go there.

Obviously I have no proof, but my best guess would be drugs. Suzy was going to testify against them. Yet, poof, she disappears. What timing, what a coincidence.
Yeah that is an odd coincidence and one that cant really be ignored...regardless of the IQ of the graverobbers. It doesn't take a genius to commit murder.

Walk in, pull out a gun, tell em you're going for a ride.....you're in and out in minutes. That's it. It requires no skill or level of sophistication.

My only issue with that theory is it was a minor charge. There wouldn't have been any serious jail time to worry about. Having said that, there was the whole "snitch" thing in play and some people take that very seriously, regardless of the level of crime being commited. If drugs were also involved, it makes that situation she found herself in that much more dire.

In their eyes, if she'll snitch on graverobbing, what else will she snitch on?

The main oddity/coincidence that is glossed over way too much is the timing of the disappearance/murder. On the very last nignt of their high school years with the new chapter of their lives about to get underway, they vanish into thin air?

The timing is relevant to the case. So is the fact that their plans continually evolved throughout the night. The situation was never static.

They need to take one last long, hard, and close look at the graverobbers and their circle. if nothing comes of it, consider that a dead end and write it off the list. Same with the random serial killer stuff.

This case either needs to be solved or at least a major break in the case that could lead to some type of closure while Stacy's mom is still alive. She deserves to know what really happened that night even if it never leads to an actual arrest.

But I personally find that more plausible than a random killer entering the home in the middle of the night without breaking in.
I find anything more plausible than that.

It's certainly possible but the main problem with any "Sherrill was the main target" theory is the timing. Why THAT night of all nights? The girls had been gone for hours. Plenty of time.

I watched the documentary last night. That last segment made me cringe. She should never be allowed to appear on any program about this case ever again. She's simply not credible and the cherry on top is the attention seeking. The supposed death threats are laughable and only brought up as a defense to witholding information and her "sources". Hogwash.

She's afraid to talk about the case.....so her answer to that is to always talk about the case on media outlets. Not buying what she's selling.

Let me throw something out for consideration.

We have the virtual certainty that the house was under surveillance for several weeks prior to the women going missing.

That being the case there must have been a reason. Perhaps the young man was enamored of one or more of the women. He might have followed them home from the parties, perhaps conversed with Suzie and when he showed up he was recognized and allowed in the house.

Let’s further assume he is well aware of crime solving and wanting to take the women wants to muddy the water. What better time than the graduation and the grave robbing deal perculating? The first assumption is that the grave robbers would be the immediate suspects.

In any event the women were taken. Only he knew what took place as nothing has leaked for over 25 years. A conspiracy of more than one person inevitably cracks st some point. One person; just one person.

I leaned hard on one of the grave robbers for some answers. His thinking was that it was a single unknown stalker. I didn’t like that at first but on senkon and third thought it began to have resonance. I do not believe any of the grave robbers were involved. I also don’t think the so-called GJ3 were either, nor do I believe the classmates were either. Only one person with a plan.

The simple fact is that we are running out of suspects.

Critique please.

The motive would be invaluable. Right now we are grasping at straws.

Over the years I have communicated with many people about this case. But the motive is illusive. There are three main reasons for killing someone. They are revenge, jealousy and profit. I would add one more and that is a thrill killing. That has a sexual component. Bundy and BTK come to mind.

Sherrill had several hundred dollars in her purse. What does that tell us?
It suggests that that money was pocket change to the perp.

Revenge is a possible if done in retaliation for “outing” the grave vandalism. One has said in another forum that he had been cleared and claimed to have been given some or all of the documents concerning himself. Probably not the motive.

Jealousy is a possible since one of the grave robbers had an on again relationship and blamed Suzie. Possible.

We are left with the profit motive and the thrill kill. I’m going to rule out the thrill killing as those usually leave the bodies somewhere to be found.

It would seem the profit angle is the most likely. That conjures us the possibility of drugs. A former police officer I was in touch with several years ago opined that it was drugs centered out of the Rogersville area. But as to the famous crime family there I am agnostic. My $0.02 for today.

"It would seem the profit angle is the most likely. That conjures us the possibility of drugs"
-------------------------------------------------
I agree with you regarding this motive and that a kill for thrill should be ruled out , some dangerous criminals become paranoid from Suzie's testimony or from the fact that maybe Suzie or Sherrill saw something they shouldn't see,

they had to take them both becouse as a mother and a daughter both of them will probably know what is the motive so they couldn't kidnapped only one of them,It is not a coincidence that the kidnapping happened a week before Suzie's testimony,

the testimony wouldn't hurt the grave robbers badly but it could hurt criminals From a higher and wider circle, these people thought it's worth to take the risk and committee such a crime To ensure the continuation of their freedom.

It was probably Premeditated kidnapping and assassination to prevent from Suzie / sherrill or both to talk/ testify .
On the web site every time I write even a single letter the page jumps down and I have to search the rectangle with my comment, this is why it takes me an hour to write a few sentences , very strange .

"It would seem the profit angle is the most likely. That conjures us the possibility of drugs"
I agree with you regarding this motive and that a kill for thrill should be ruled out , some dangerous criminals become paranoid from Suzie's testimony or from the fact that maybe Suzie or Sherrill saw something they shouldn't see,

they had to take them both becouse as a mother and a daughter both of them will probably know what is the motive so they couldn't kidnapped only one of them,It is not a coincidence that the kidnapping happened a week before Suzie's testimony,

the testimony wouldn't hurt the grave robbers badly but it could hurt criminals From a higher and wider circle, these people thought it's worth to take the risk and committee such a crime To ensure the continuation of their freedom.

It was probably Premeditated kidnapping and assassination to prevent from Suzie / sherrill or both to talk/ testify .
On the web site every time I write even a single letter the page jumps down and I have to search the rectangle with my comment, this is why it takes me an hour to write a few sentences , very strange .

That has been my thinking from the outset but I am trying to think outside the box. It has been 25+ years and no one has rolled and explained what happened, so far as we know. If the cops know they haven’t leaked it either.

Many people have suggested the cops were somehow involved; serious people. I am ambivalent.

That is the reason for my alternative theory below.

When did the Crime Watch Daily show air this case? Anyone know how to access it? I contacted their FB page, waiting for response. I've also searched You Tube :( Nothing there so far.

Yep.

I need to watch that doc although it sounds like a double edged sword. A few stories changing which is very interesting yet at the same time focusing on the Cox nonsense.

The truth doesn't change.

Some people claim Cox had no 'viable alibi' b/c his gf recanted her initial statement. What some people fail to realize is the very real possibility SPD #1. interviewed her for hours and hours #2. threatened her by accusing her of being involved.
Who wouldn't recant and back-off? I would.
So many ways to look at the whole thing. By centering on one person, for so long, I think SPD blew it from the git-go.

Just like all the other 'persons of interest'.....nobody was indicted. Not even after 25 yrs.

Some people claim Cox had no 'viable alibi' b/c his gf recanted her initial statement. What some people fail to realize is the very real possibility SPD #1. interviewed her for hours and hours #2. threatened her by accusing her of being involved.
Who wouldn't recant and back-off? I would.

So many ways to look at the whole thing. By centering on one person, for so long, I think SPD blew it from the git-go.

Just like all the other 'persons of interest'.....nobody was indicted. Not even after 25 yrs.

Why would a suspect ask his girlfriend to lie for him? If he was not involved he didn’t need an alibi. If he was involved he may have feared his DNA was in the house.

I have never heard the argument that police questioning would cause someone to withdraw their alibi for a suspect. I could be mistaken but I think she may have recanted during the grand jury testimony. Lying to a grand jury would be a very serious matter.

If Cox was innocent he seems to want to be thought of as a suspect. It can’t be helpful during the possible parole hearings.

Why would a suspect ask his girlfriend to lie for him? If he was not involved he didn’t need an alibi. If he was involved he may have feared his DNA was in the house.

I have never heard the argument that police questioning would cause someone to withdraw their alibi for a suspect. I could be mistaken but I think she may have recanted during the grand jury testimony. Lying to a grand jury would be a very serious matter.

If Cox was innocent he seems to want to be thought of as a suspect. It can’t be helpful during the possible parole hearings.

Exactly, he made himself a suspect but I don't think it was on purpose.
IMO one must look at his past history and wasn't 3 women disappearing HUGE NEWS at the time? What was the atmosphere in the city at that time? Posters everywhere, probably news updates every night on the news........ I bet it had a lot of people nervous and thinking of alibis. His was....clumsy at best.

What was Steve Garrison's iron clad alibi?

Exactly, he made himself a suspect but I don't think it was on purpose.
IMO one must look at his past history and wasn't 3 women disappearing HUGE NEWS at the time? What was the atmosphere in the city at that time? Posters everywhere, probably news updates every night on the news........ I bet it had a lot of people nervous and thinking of alibis. His was....clumsy at best.

What was Steve Garrison's iron clad alibi?

Good question,

He was in the company of a lifetime friend. He could not have been involved. He did not have the opportunity.

I have checked and rechecked this to be absolutely positive.

But if you still have reservations I will recheck again.

I will say however that he and Cox evidently knew one another based on Cox’s last letter to the News Leader he makes reference to Garrison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500