GUILTY MA - Colleen Ritzer, 24, brutally murdered, Danvers, 22 Oct 2013 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, she could have been in there for 5 minutes for various reasons, but I wonder what the reason was in this case. Personally, I don't spend any more time than I absolutely have to in a public restroom (2 minutes, tops) unless I'm so sick I can't make it home or I'm changing my clothes. Especially a bathroom in a school, as they tend to be particularly nasty.

But more importantly, it's a long time to wait between her going in and the student "following" in. If she'd already been in there for 5 minutes when he entered, he would have to have seen her enter and waited all that time to go in. Unless he found out she was in there some other way.

jmo

It was a faculty bathroom. Could be different than you experienced. Looks like a real nice school.

So devastating...Andover is a lovely town as is Danvers. This woman is beyond special. She had a wonderful work ethic and was, I'm sure, a huge motivating factor for her students. A good teacher makes you WANT to learn.

I felt like he was a new kid at that school and she was a friendly and kind person to him. He might have had a crush on her, was waiting around to make an advance on her and then followed through and did so in her room. She could have told him to just leave and that this is highly inappropriate, then she leaves the room to just gather herself and thoughts in the closest place she found to be alone.....and then he thinks about it and doesn't want her telling his family ruining how they think of him. If he brought the box cutter himself to school then there is premeditation, but if they were already there...then maybe he panicked and decided in a flash to kill her.

It is beyond sad....

Okay, I think the high school gets out at 1:55 PM. I've been looking through the district's website, and I saw that both the middle school and the high school get out at the same time (11:35) on early dismissal days, and I found a page saying the middle school gets out at 1:55, so it seems logical it would be the same for the HS. I also found the handbook that says after-school detention at the HS starts at 2 PM. So I don't have an actual source that says the HS gets out at 1:55 PM, but it seems like it does.

Now, if you consider after school clubs or extra help, I think that stuff normally goes for an hour, and not much longer. So that's 3 PM. By 3:30, I could see how the 2nd floor would be relatively empty. It's usually the athletes who stay pretty late, and they would be outside or in the gym. It's still weird that no one saw or heard anything.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/...hool-remains-closed-grief-counselors-on-hand/

New details emerge in murder of Danvers teacher
WHDH TV NBC Boston
Reported by: Steve Cooper | Follow Steve on Twitter
Posted: Today at 8:20 am Updated: Today at 5:00 pm

snippets

"Sources say school surveillance video, and there are close to 200 cameras positioned between the inside and outside the school, show the teen following Ritzer into a women's bathroom on the second floor. The video goes on to show Chism leaving the bathroom covered in blood.
Sources also say Chism who was wearing white gloves struck his math teacher twice before slashing her with a box cutter then placing her body in a recycling bin and wheeling it out of the school and into the woods.
Chism then disposed her body according to our sources and covered it with leaves making it difficult for investigators to find her."

"Sources say at some point he smashed his cellphone and Ritzer's cell phone in a parking lot near the movie theater then used her credit card to buy food at Wendy's."

More...

Read more: http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/...losed-grief-counselors-on-hand/#ixzz2igNXfHQH

The total lack of expression at his court appearance yesterday was troubling.

Not uncommon to see, but still troubling.

Hmmm...New theory I have is that at 3:30 PM, they finished up their study session because an hour and a half is pretty long for one. They both leave the classroom, and he watches as she goes to the bathroom?

Hmmm...New theory I have is that at 3:30 PM, they finished up their study session because an hour and a half is pretty long for one. They both leave the classroom, and he watches as she goes to the bathroom?

This makes sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I looked at the school handbook too. Its located here: http://danverspublicschools.org/dhs/student-handbook/

The school library is open from 7:00AM to 3:00 PM.

The first period class begins at 7:30 AM (section on tardies)
The 7th (last period class) ends at 1:55 PM according to student quoted in article

"Help Sessions:
Teachers are available most afternoons (with the exception of Fridays) after dismissal for extra help and make-up work. ... If a teacher asks a student to return for extra help, the student must return. ..." page 23/66 pdf

If he was wearing gloves, then IMO this was premeditated. It also sounds like he brought a change of clothes. Scary that a 14-year old could plan such a brutal crime. Luckily he didn't realize the school had so many cameras.

I wonder when his teammates last saw him going away from the practice field before 4 pm practice saying he had to take care of something and how it fits with this theory. jmo

I wonder when his teammates last saw him going away from the practice field before 4 pm practice saying he had to take care of something and how it fits with this theory. jmo

According to this article, he never arrived at practice:

This friend and others got their first hint that something was awry when Chism didn't show up for soccer practice Tuesday. The team set out to look for him after seeing texts that he was missing.

The total lack of expression at his court appearance yesterday was troubling.

Not uncommon to see, but still troubling.

So was the sight of his attorney, caressing his back with her thumb. Her actions seemed to say, "Oh, you poor kid...." ~smh~

Now thinking he may have intentionally prolonged the after-school session until he knew everyone was gone.

According to this article, he never arrived at practice:

This friend and others got their first hint that something was awry when Chism didn't show up for soccer practice Tuesday. The team set out to look for him after seeing texts that he was missing.

Yeah. So I'm wondering when they saw him going away from the field. His class ended at 1:55 and he was last seen in the teacher's classroom at 3:15. She was killed at approximately 3:30 after spending about 5 minutes in the restroom. And practice started at 4:00.

"Several of Chism’s soccer teammates said he had mysteriously vanished Tuesday afternoon, missing the team practice at 4 p.m. and a team dinner at 6. Teammates last saw the youth running away from the practice field, breathlessly telling them he had something he needed to take care of."

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...rss_id=Top-GNP

So was the sight of his attorney, caressing his back with her thumb. Her actions seemed to say, "Oh, you poor kid...." ~smh~

I expect her to pull out all the stops and paint a picture of this young man as a little angel who suddenly "snapped". There's a mental evaluation scheduled, and an insanity defense will probably follow.

I would expect a very long time to elapse before this actually gets to trial.

Thursday - 10/24/2013, 7:58pm ET
JAY LINDSAY
Associated Press
DANVERS, Mass. (AP) -- A teacher who was allegedly killed by one of her students had asked him to stay after school the day she was killed, a classmate said Thursday, as students met with grief counselors and tried to come to grips with the slaying of the popular teacher.
Philip Chism, 14, was charged with murder Wednesday in the death of Colleen Ritzer, a 24-year-old math teacher at Danvers High School.
Rania Rhaddaoui sat two seats away from Chism in Ritzer's Algebra I class, the final class of the school day. She said Chism was drawing in a notebook rather than taking notes Tuesday.
"She came over and said, 'I didn't know you draw,' and he said, 'yes,' then later on, she said, 'Can you stay after with me?'" Rhaddaoui said. "Obviously, he stayed after because when I was leaving, he was still at his desk."
She said Ritzer had scheduled a test for Friday, but she was unsure why exactly Ritzer asked Chism to stay after school. more at link: http://www.wtop.com/209/3490271/Town-mourns-after-boy-charged-in-teachers-death

“There was a test coming up, and she wanted to know if he had any questions on learning equations,” Rhaedaoui said.
Cambria Cloutier, another 14-year-old freshman, who was also in the class, said she walked by Ritzer’s classroom at about 3:15 p.m., more than an hour after the class had gotten out at 1:55 p.m. “She was standing at her computer, and he was just sitting there,” Cloutier said. “It just looked normal, like any other day.” more at link: http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...bAIOtxQIe3EAabTrBGP/story.html?rss_id=Top-GNP

CNN is now reporting that she went into a regular students' girls bathroom, as someone was in the locked faculty bathroom. They are also reporting Chism brought the box cutter to school. He followed her into the bathroom, punched her, then stabbed her to death.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/24/justice/massachusetts-danvers-school-killing/

With him using a box cutter he had to have slashed her to death...not stabbed her. Most likely cutting her throat with the sharp razor blade in it.:(

This young woman was so well loved by everyone. What in the world could this kid's motive have been? It seems premeditated if he brought the boxcutter to school.

Did he have a big crush on her and she rejected his advances? Or is it just another kid that flew into a murderous rage because he got pizzed about something?

So tragic.

imo

Thursday - 10/24/2013, 7:58pm ET
JAY LINDSAY
Associated Press
DANVERS, Mass. (AP) -- A teacher who was allegedly killed by one of her students had asked him to stay after school the day she was killed, a classmate said Thursday, as students met with grief counselors and tried to come to grips with the slaying of the popular teacher.
Philip Chism, 14, was charged with murder Wednesday in the death of Colleen Ritzer, a 24-year-old math teacher at Danvers High School.
Rania Rhaddaoui sat two seats away from Chism in Ritzer's Algebra I class, the final class of the school day. She said Chism was drawing in a notebook rather than taking notes Tuesday.
"She came over and said, 'I didn't know you draw,' and he said, 'yes,' then later on, she said, 'Can you stay after with me?'" Rhaddaoui said. "Obviously, he stayed after because when I was leaving, he was still at his desk."
She said Ritzer had scheduled a test for Friday, but she was unsure why exactly Ritzer asked Chism to stay after school. more at link: http://www.wtop.com/209/3490271/Town-mourns-after-boy-charged-in-teachers-death

“There was a test coming up, and she wanted to know if he had any questions on learning equations,” Rhaedaoui said.
Cambria Cloutier, another 14-year-old freshman, who was also in the class, said she walked by Ritzer’s classroom at about 3:15 p.m., more than an hour after the class had gotten out at 1:55 p.m. “She was standing at her computer, and he was just sitting there,” Cloutier said. “It just looked normal, like any other day.” more at link: http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...bAIOtxQIe3EAabTrBGP/story.html?rss_id=Top-GNP

~bbm

I read that earlier and it caught my eye. Oddly phrased. Why would a math teacher have any reason to have known that a brand new math student could draw? Maybe she was just being a little funny/sarcastic because he was doodling instead of working on classwork?

jmo

I expect her to pull out all the stops and paint a picture of this young man as a little angel who suddenly "snapped". There's a mental evaluation scheduled, and an insanity defense will probably follow.

I would expect a very long time to elapse before this actually gets to trial.

They are planning to try him as an adult, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member