CT - Five die in Stamford Christmas Day fire 2011.12.25

Agree. Hard to know now, however. What I am most curious about is the demolition being accomplished so quickly after the fire. Wouldn't most fires causing five deaths be investigated more thoroughly before the structure is completely demolished?

:waitasec:

I also thought it had too be investigated first. Maybe it was too unsafe to even go in there to investigate, although I am not sure how they are going to determine the cause of the fire now that they demolished it.

They think it might have been a yule log in a bucket. Unfortunately people do all kind of things like that over the holidays (candles, tree lights, and apparently yule-logs in buckets) that could lead to fires. And sometimes they do. This is not the only fire reported right now that killed most of the family.

"They loaded the embers into a container and placed the still-smoldering remains inside a foyer before heading to bed."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/con...-gift-wrapping-article-1.997016#ixzz1hgK8HL2J

They think it might have been a yule log in a bucket. Unfortunately people do all kind of things like that over the holidays (candles, tree lights, and apparently yule-logs in buckets) that could lead to fires. And sometimes they do. This is not the only fire reported right now that killed most of the family.

"They loaded the embers into a container and placed the still-smoldering remains inside a foyer before heading to bed."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/con...-gift-wrapping-article-1.997016#ixzz1hgK8HL2J

I don't quite understand how smoldering embers placed in a container (unless it was a cardboard box or something) could start a fire. I've heated with wood for many years and don't quite understand this - does anyone else?

I don't quite understand how smoldering embers placed in a container (unless it was a cardboard box or something) could start a fire. I've heated with wood for many years and don't quite understand this - does anyone else?
Fireplace safety rules:

"Dispose of embers safely. Ashes need to be thoroughly dampened, cooled and stored in metal cans that are used solely for ash storage. The embers may be a day old and look as if they are out, but can still cause a fire. Do not discard hot ashes in a compost pile, paper bag, box or anything that is combustible."
http://www.dulley.com/firepl/firepl02.shtml

I almost feel like the news articles are going out of their way to make it seem that way.

The media probably wants there to be more to this story. If LE announces that it was an arson, now you have the murder of three wealthy girls and their grandparents. I think the media is always looking for cases that they can sensationalize and get weeks, months, and even years of coverage out of. If it's announced that this was a complete accident, then the story is over.

Many, many years ago ( I was pre-teen), my family home caught on fire. Damage was extreme, but thankfully no human loss. The cause of the fire was due to renovations being done. A nail have been driven into a wire and caused the fire. Freak things happen. I don't see anything here that is sinister. How horrific for this family. I can't even imagine the grief they are dealing with. :(

Yule Log Embers Blamed For Fire That Killed Madonna Badger’s Three Kids And Her Parents

The container might have been metal and rusted. Maybe an hot ember popped out? If the container was smoldering, then why place it on the foyer floor? A contractor didn't know that this was a dangerous thing?

The container might have been metal and rusted. Maybe an hot ember popped out? If the container was smoldering, then why place it on the foyer floor? A contractor didn't know that this was a dangerous thing?

I can't think of one good reason to leave the bucket of embers inside the house. I am a wimp when it comes to cold weather, and even I would have carried it outside and set it on a non-flammable surface like a driveway or a patio. :waitasec:

I can't think of one good reason to leave the bucket of embers inside the house. I am a wimp when it comes to cold weather, and even I would have carried it outside and set it on a non-flammable surface like a driveway or a patio. :waitasec:

You need to dampen them even if you put them outside. But don't put water directly into the fireplace.

First let me say I send prayers to this woman; how does one survive loosing their parents and their children? Doing so on Christmas makes it worse imoo.

I imagine the embers popped or sparked and started the fire. imoo

Fire was caused by embers not properly disposed. Might have not even been in a bucket, but in a bag. Poor grandpa died trying to save one of the granddaughters.

"Sometime after 3 a.m., embers from the fire place were put into a bag, which was placed in the rear of the house, either by a mudroom or trash area, Callahan said. He added that from the initial investigation, the fire appears to have been “accidental in nature.” "
http://www.thedailystamford.com/news/investigators-embers-started-christmas-day-fire

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back