Gilgo Beach LISK Serial Killer, Rex Heuermann, charged with 4 murders, July 2023 #10

Apr 26, 2024
''Police are back on the scene in Manorville this morning where crews have been out searching for days in connection to the Gilgo Beach investigation.
The area has been a part of the case for more than 20 years.''

''The Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office would not confirm that the search is related to the Gilgo Beach investigation. However, the DA's office did say Suffolk County police, New York State Police and the NYPD are all assisting the DA with an ongoing investigation.''

Apr 26, 2024
''Police are back on the scene in Manorville this morning where crews have been out searching for days in connection to the Gilgo Beach investigation.
The area has been a part of the case for more than 20 years.''

''The Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office would not confirm that the search is related to the Gilgo Beach investigation. However, the DA's office did say Suffolk County police, New York State Police and the NYPD are all assisting the DA with an ongoing investigation.''
They’re spending quite a bit of time and money on this search. Whatever the reason, they must consider it important.

It’s also possible they want to rule out any other evidence that could be at Manorville. Perhaps the defense is trying to implicate other killers were responsible for the victims found at Manorville. State may be covering all the bases with thorough searches. JMO

And now we have yet ANOTHER search further out east where the body of Sandra Costilla was found in 1993, a case that remains unsolved, but previously thought to be tied to Bittrolff from Manorville. This just gets curiouser and curiouser

And now we have yet ANOTHER search further out east where the body of Sandra Costilla was found in 1993, a case that remains unsolved, but previously thought to be tied to Bittrolff from Manorville. This just gets curiouser and curiouser

While not SC since RH married his current wife after she was killed/found… but I wonder if financial and phone records show his family was out of town during the timeframe other unsolved manorville victims were killed/went missing.

Hard to find much online about Sandra’s possible relation to LISK since she was always connected to JB.

Just stumbled onto this thread, it may come in handy wrt UID remains in the area, also Sandra Costilla is frequently referenced, fwiw..

While not SC since RH married his current wife after she was killed/found… but I wonder if financial and phone records show his family was out of town during the timeframe other unsolved manorville victims were killed/went missing.

Hard to find much online about Sandra’s possible relation to LISK since she was always connected to JB.
My head goes in so many different directions now that this has been thrown in the mix.

Just stumbled onto this thread, it may come in handy wrt UID remains in the area, also Sandra Costilla is frequently referenced, fwiw..
Thank you!

Sources tell News 12 the multiagency search has now expanded to an area in North Sea, where the body of Sandra Costilla was found in 1993, a case that remains unsolved.
In the past, convicted murderer John Bittrolff has been tied to the death of Costilla but was never charged

Homicide Squad detectives are also investigating whether Bittrolff killed a third woman, Sandra Costilla, 28, of Queens, whose cause of death resembles Tangredi’s and McNamee’s, authorities said. Costilla was found dead in North Sea on the South Fork on Nov. 20, 1993.

“The manner of death, the positioning of her body, and the trace evidence of Ms. Costilla is similar to that of Tangredi and McNamee,” Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota told reporters Tuesday during at a news conference at his Hauppauge office.

He did not say of Costilla also worked as a prostitute, but noted: “She had a lifestyle that may have been substantially similar.

Unless i missed an established thread, got one started for Sandra Costilla.

Unless i missed an established thread, got one started for Sandra Costilla.
Thanks,@dotr! She was a lovely young woman and only 28 yrs old.

There are more than a few reasons why Suffolk PD is looking into these old cold cases, but I’m not sure which?

Thanks,@dotr! She was a lovely young woman and only 28 yrs old.

There are more than a few reasons why Suffolk PD is looking into these old cold cases, but I’m not sure which?
Just imagining here . . . We know a lot of "stuff" was pulled from the Heuermann home, vehicles, rented storage space back last July, early August. Someone estimated hundreds of electronic devices.
Let's say these past several months, LE has pored through all that evidence, weighed it, turned it inside out and sifted, sorted and arranged it into the most efficient ways for them to check out locations that have come to their attention, hints and clues that seem to go together to paint a picture -- partial or complete.

Let's say, the investigation has entered a new phase.

Just imagining here . . . We know a lot of "stuff" was pulled from the Heuermann home, vehicles, rented storage space back last July, early August. Someone estimated hundreds of electronic devices.
Let's say these past several months, LE has pored through all that evidence, weighed it, turned it inside out and sifted, sorted and arranged it into the most efficient ways for them to check out locations that have come to their attention, hints and clues that seem to go together to paint a picture -- partial or complete.

Let's say, the investigation has entered a new phase.
It’s possible with this crazy case. Rex H was all over the map with crazy. If he killed Sandra Costilla, does it mean he deliberately posed her to copycat Bittrolff?

It’s possible with this crazy case. Rex H was all over the map with crazy. If he killed Sandra Costilla, does it mean he deliberately posed her to copycat Bittrolff?
I think he’d have to have known that Bittfoff’s victims were naked, posed and found with wood chip debris. But I have a sneaky suspicion that the two of them crossed paths and may have either worked in tandem or were competing in some way. RH did do an internet search on Bittrolff.

I think he’d have to have known that Bittfoff’s victims were naked, posed and found with wood chip debris. But I have a sneaky suspicion that the two of them crossed paths and may have either worked in tandem or were competing in some way. RH did do an internet search on Bittrolff.
It would NOT surprise me if we later learn these two men, along with Burke and his cronies, and others of the same interests living in that same area either knew or knew of each other. Their shared interests would be taking them into the same locations. Who can possibly imagine the crazy games / competitions they may have devised according to their individual egos?

It would NOT surprise me if we later learn these two men, along with Burke and his cronies, and others of the same interests living in that same area either knew or knew of each other. Their shared interests would be taking them into the same locations. Who can possibly imagine the crazy games / competitions they may have devised according to their individual egos?
Burke would have inside info about Bittrolff’s MO, crime scenes, etc. Would have to check Burke’s timeline to see where he was in ‘96.

I believe they found a search of "John Bittrolff" on RH's computer.

I've wondered since RH was arrested if he had some acquaintanceship with Bittrolff. Both hunters out in that area, they're around the same age. Bittrolff born in '66. Heuermann's just a couple of years older, I believe. Bittrolff was a carpenter. Both have ethnic surnames, evidently both of German extraction. I'm of Irish extraction and I know there are many, many clubs and organizations for Irish-Americans, many very local in nature. Both Bittrolff & RH married with children. Maybe both members of some club, organization down the line? I'm seeing Bittrolff victim Rita Tangredi's adult daughter was close friends with Melissa Barthelemy, Source: "DNA played a pivotal role in Bittrolff’s case, eventually tying him to a third murder. PIX 11 was intrigued by an online comment posted by a young woman named Amanda... Turns out her mother, Rita Tangredi, was one of Bittrolff’s alleged victims in 1993. Her best friend was Melissa Barthelemy, the first woman discovered in burlap on Gilgo Beach in December 2010."

Seeing he/JB hunted deer and raised animals in his yard on one source. Also seeing JB "knew everybody." And correction on saying I've wondered about this "for years" because RH was only arrested a year ago. It feels like years, though!

Last edited:
I believe they found a search of "John Bittrolff" on RH's computer.

I've wondered for years if he had some acquaintanceship with Bittrolff. Both hunters out in that area, they're around the same age. Bittrolff born in '66. Heuermann's just a couple of years older, I believe. Bittrolff was a carpenter. Both have ethnic surnames, evidently both of German extraction. I'm of Irish extraction and I know there are many, many clubs and organizations for Irish-Americans, many very local in nature. Both Bittrolff & RH married with children. Maybe both members of some club, organization down the line? I'm seeing Bittrolff victim Rita Tangredi's adult daughter was close friends with Melissa Barthelemy, Source: "DNA played a pivotal role in Bittrolff’s case, eventually tying him to a third murder. PIX 11 was intrigued by an online comment posted by a young woman named Amanda... Turns out her mother, Rita Tangredi, was one of Bittrolff’s alleged victims in 1993. Her best friend was Melissa Barthelemy, the first woman discovered in burlap on Gilgo Beach in December 2010."

Seeing he/JB hunted deer and raised animals in his yard on one source.
An old saying is a perfect description for the "almost knowing" someone: "They ran in the same circles."

From what I can see online, JB lived his early life over in the Mastic/Shirley area of LI and went to William Floyd High School. That's about 38 minute drive from Massapequa Park. "The distance between Massapequa and Mastic–Shirley Station is 34 miles. The road distance is 34.8 miles. The best way to get from Massapequa to Mastic–Shirley Station without a car is to train which takes 1h 59m"

Last edited:
Does anybody know exactly where in North Sea they are searching? I lived there fifty years and up until recently it was a very unknown back road between Southampton and Sag Harbor. When I grew up there it was the wrong side of the tracks for Southampton. In the 80s it became a back road through to sag harbor with a lot more traffic and then became gentrified.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theonce-ler
Back