The Caylee Anthony Bill

This person is working on a bill for Caylee. She is asking for suggestions that can be added to the bill. It is posted on the SM site, but I thought you here might like to hear about it and maybe can come up with some things to add to it. Her email is (and this was posted at the other site so I don't she will care that it is posted here too) I don't post at the other site, but thought this was just too important not to bring over here. So I hope that it is OK that we can discuss this here and maybe put our heads together and come up with some good ideas to offer up. mailto:knayknaysm@live.com

Here are some of the suggestions so far that I have seen, this is a good one IMO.

I think this is a great idea and something deserving to put Caylee's name on in her memory.

Here is the link.

http://.net/index.php?topic=3815.0

I'm assuming this person is not a legislator since she thinks the plural of one is one's instead of ones.

So where exactly are they planning on getting this bill introduced and passed? There's no chance it would be passed as federal legislation and I don't see it having much chance of passage as state legislation. Where would the funding be found? Who has agreed to sponsor it?

I'm assuming this person is not a legislator since she thinks the plural of one is one's instead of ones.

So where exactly are they planning on getting this bill introduced and passed? There's no chance it would be passed as federal legislation and I don't see it having much chance of passage as state legislation. Where would the funding be found? Who has agreed to sponsor it?

Samijeans is a fellow WS'er and also a person who took the time to go out and search for Caylee right along side me. Her intent here is in good faith and I think your calling her out on grammar is very impolite.

Since you seem to have knowledge on how to go about getting such things in motion, would it not be better to give us some guidelines as to how to get something like this done?

make it a felony to not report your child missing within 24 hours or less if the child is under the age of 10 or so ? unless it already is i dunno :(

When a child was reported missing if they were not located within 72 hours then a guardian ad litem should be appointed by the court to deal with the media, any financial donations, the other missing children networks, etc.

That has a two fold advantage - first it give the parents the time help find the child and two it removes ANY financial gain available to anyone but the search for the child.

I am sure someone is capable of editing the bill for grammar when the specifics for the bill are drafted. There are MANY bills in many states which have been passed by concerned citizens. It is NOT that big of a deal, except to determine what the bill needs to contain, get a couple of sponsors in the state legislature and lobby other legislators to sign on to the bill as co-sponsors. If you can get enough support, it does not even have to go to committee in some states.

It may not require any funding and if it does that usually can be picked up with federal grants.

SOOOOOOOOO.........Don't make this a big deal, when it is not - Just sign on and lend your area of expertise instead of trying to be critical of one error in writing.

Samijeans is a fellow WS'er and also a person who took the time to go out and search for Caylee right along side me. Her intent here is in good faith and I think your calling her out on grammar is very impolite.

Since you seem to have knowledge on how to go about getting such things in motion, would it not be better to give us some guidelines as to how to get something like this in done?

Sorry, I wasn't being impolite. I was pointing out it was unlikely this person was a legislator because of their spelling, not their grammar. I don't consider someone's spelling skills to be an indicator of how valuable they are as a person, only that there are some jobs they're unlikely to hold. Oh, and by the way, unless Samijeans is linking to her own post at the monkeys site, I wasn't referring to her.

I'll be glad to help you figure out the process. For starters, find something that isn't going to cost a lot of money for what would likely be very little benefit or that would essentially be an unfunded mandate on local governments. I'm not saying necessarily scrap this idea altogether but try to find a way to make it work at little or no cost. I'm making a big point of this because legislators usually aren't interested in sponsoring bills that won't pass. The more likely you can make it to pass, the easier it will be to find a sponsor and other legislators to support it.

Then figure out where you want to get legislation passed. I would say chances of federal legislation are lower than slim to none.

From there, figure out who you want to contact about sponsoring the bill. Look for someone whose committee assignments would give them an interest in that area. Being on the committee that would consider the bill before it goes to the floor would also give it a better chance of making it out of committee.

Get all of your ducks in a row - make sure you have a good outline of what the legislation would do and have contacted any interest groups that would be willing to lobby for it and gotten a solid commitment from them to do just that. Contact anyone who could testify for the bill in committee with compelling testimony and get a commitment from them as well.

You're also going to have to contact any local and state government agencies that would be impacted by the bill. If they don't support it, it's dead in the water. At the local level, I don't mean, for example, contacting each sheriff's and police department. There are statewide and national organizations for most of these entities.

Then contact the legislator's legislative aide or, if they have more than one aide, the one who handles work in the relevant committee. I think it's always better to work through the aide who will be doing most of the work on a bill rather than contacting the legislator first. They may well have good suggestions for improving the bill.

That should get you started.

Here we go.............LOL - I don't think that will be the new administration.

We shall see,...............

Seriously, whomever it is, I hope this can actually turn into something positive not just for the good of the missing kids but for the good of all.

Sorry, I wasn't being impolite. I was pointing out it was unlikely this person was a legislator because of their spelling, not their grammar. I don't consider someone's spelling skills to be an indicator of how valuable they are as a person, only that there are some jobs they're unlikely to hold. Oh, and by the way, unless Samijeans is linking to her own post at the monkeys site, I wasn't referring to her.

I'll be glad to help you figure out the process. For starters, find something that isn't going to cost a lot of money for what would likely be very little benefit or that would essentially be an unfunded mandate on local governments. I'm not saying necessarily scrap this idea altogether but try to find a way to make it work at little or no cost. I'm making a big point of this because legislators usually aren't interested in sponsoring bills that won't pass. The more likely you can make it to pass, the easier it will be to find a sponsor and other legislators to support it.

Then figure out where you want to get legislation passed. I would say chances of federal legislation are lower than slim to none.

From there, figure out who you want to contact about sponsoring the bill. Look for someone whose committee assignments would give them an interest in that area. Being on the committee that would consider the bill before it goes to the floor would also give it a better chance of making it out of committee.

Get all of your ducks in a row - make sure you have a good outline of what the legislation would do and have contacted any interest groups that would be willing to lobby for it and gotten a solid commitment from them to do just that. Contact anyone who could testify for the bill in committee with compelling testimony and get a commitment from them as well.

You're also going to have to contact any local and state government agencies that would be impacted by the bill. If they don't support it, it's dead in the water. At the local level, I don't mean, for example, contacting each sheriff's and police department. There are statewide and national organizations for most of these entities.

Then contact the legislator's legislative aide or, if they have more than one aide, the one who handles work in the relevant committee. I think it's always better to work through the aide who will be doing most of the work on a bill rather than contacting the legislator first. They may well have good suggestions for improving the bill.

That should get you started.

Thanks! That's the kind of info we need. As to whether it would get anywhere? Given the worldwide exposure this case has had, it just may be the one to break through and actually get something done about these kids that disappear.

Oh, and BTW....I've worked for architects and engineers for 46 years and there isn't any of them that can spell. No offense, I was just the lucky one.

OH OK thanks Tech for clearing that up for me, I was confused as to what was allowed and what wasn't!

Here is the link, and I will go ahead and add it to the my first post too!

Normally, you do need approval if it is not a media website. however, this looks fine because it is for a good cause. I'll leave it up for now until I can discuss it further with the mods.

Thanks
Tricia

Thanks! That's the kind of info we need. As to whether it would get anywhere? Given the worldwide exposure this case has had, it just may be the one to break through and actually get something done about these kids that disappear.

Oh, and BTW....I've worked for architects and engineers for 46 years and there isn't any of them that can spell. No offense, I was just the lucky one.

The amount of exposure now won't mean much. What would count is what kind of coverage you could expect for the legislation itself. The kind of bill you're talking about just isn't going to draw any significant coverage from the media at all.

The kind of brains that make good engineers and architects are usually not the kind of brains that know how to spell or write. But even that's not quite the same as not knowing the basics of plurals.

When a child was reported missing if they were not located within 72 hours then a guardian ad litem should be appointed by the court to deal with the media, any financial donations, the other missing children networks, etc.

That has a two fold advantage - first it give the parents the time help find the child and two it removes ANY financial gain available to anyone but the search for the child.
is that what happens now or is this an idea ? im not familiar with laws ect ect really if its an idea its wonderful if its what happens awesome .. i hope something can be done to help the missing babies all around the world ..no child deserves to be taken away from those they love and just thrown away .. although there are so many that dont deserve them either like KC

This person is working on a bill for Caylee. She is asking for suggestions that can be added to the bill. It is posted on the SM site, but I thought you here might like to hear about it and maybe can come up with some things to add to it. Her email is (and this was posted at the other site so I don't she will care that it is posted here too) I don't post at the other site, but thought this was just too important not to bring over here. So I hope that it is OK that we can discuss this here and maybe put our heads together and come up with some good ideas to offer up. mailto:knayknaysm@live.com

Here are some of the suggestions so far that I have seen, this is a good one IMO.

I think this is a great idea and something deserving to put Caylee's name on in her memory.

Here is the link.

Blink suggested this from "Day 1" BTW.

I think a bill making it a crime to wait longer than xx hours to report a missing child is a great idea. I can see some "what-ifs" that need to be worked out, but this is something that is very much needed. Especially for the criminal parent like KC who tries to hide a murder behind a fake kidnapping.

Making it a crime to fail to report a missing child as a parent may not be much of a deterrent for those that have no fear of consequence; However, it would give the Judicial system the ability to punish this crime in a more severe manner when it occurs. This would result in higher bond amounts for those facing indictment, and the higher the bond the less likely the perpetrator is going to be roaming the streets while awaiting trial. It may be a small butterfly effect in the long run, but every little bit helps right?

I also feel that failure to report a missing child should result in some form of mandatory sentencing for the parent of guardian, without possibility of parole. Many states have ten year mandatory sentences for certain types of drug offenders. Personally I find child abusers much more abhorrent than drug offenders. So lets see harsh justice meted out where it belongs. Ten years mandatory without possibility of parole, regardless of whether this is the first offense or not.

The amount of exposure now won't mean much. What would count is what kind of coverage you could expect for the legislation itself. The kind of bill you're talking about just isn't going to draw any significant coverage from the media at all.

The kind of brains that make good engineers and architects are usually not the kind of brains that know how to spell or write. But even that's not quite the same as not knowing the basics of plurals.

My point on the spelling or writing is it just doesn't matter very much but, I'll let you have the "last word" on that. Nuff said.

As for the bill, your words are not very encouraging. How do you know if a bill that we are talking about won't draw significant coverage from the media? At all......as you say? I disagree with that statement. The only way to accomplish this is to support it. It doesn't sound like you do.....at all. So, my question to you is why are you posting on this subject if you don't support it?

Normally, you do need approval if it is not a media website. however, this looks fine because it is for a good cause. I'll leave it up for now until I can discuss it further with the mods.

Thanks
Tricia

Thank you Tricia.

Baez I love you!

The Jessica Lunsford Act garnered world wide media attention when Mark Lunsford launched his campaign to see it passed in as many states as possible.

Caylee's case has certainly received as much attention if not more as little Jessie's case. A bill in Caylee's honor should do very well if done properly, in my opinion.

I'm all for anything that creates tougher laws and penalties for ANYONE who abuses or neglects a child. Plus something good needs to come out of this nightmare.

Jessie lives on in every innocent child her law saves from Pedophiles. Caylee's love and light deserves to live on in the same way.

We owe her that much and more.

The Jessica Lunsford Act garnered world wide media attention when Mark Lunsford launched his campaign to see it passed in as many states as possible.

Caylee's case has certainly received as much attention if not more as little Jessie's case. A bill in Caylee's honor should do very well if done properly, in my opinion.

I'm all for anything that creates tougher laws and penalties for breaking them, and something good needs to come out of this nightmare.

Jessie lives on in every innocent child her law saves from Pedophiles. Caylee's love and light deserves to live on in the same way.

We owe her that much and more.

Yes we do, and thank you. Garden, I will try harder. Bare with me, it may be a long road!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back