The Caylee Anthony Bill

Thanks! That's the kind of info we need. As to whether it would get anywhere? Given the worldwide exposure this case has had, it just may be the one to break through and actually get something done about these kids that disappear.

Oh, and BTW....I've worked for architects and engineers for 46 years and there isn't any of them that can spell. No offense, I was just the lucky one.

Here is my 2 cents for what it is worth.
Here in Texas, I don't know about other states, but here child abuse victims are appointed immediately through the court a Child Advocate. These advocates are volunteers. They are required to have extensive background checks and extensive training. They advocate on behalf of the child, everything they do is in the best interest of the child. They are involved in depositions, trials etc. This may be a low cost way to implement "a representative, for a Caylee Bill, to have a volunteer program. It works here and I can see many people volunteering for this type of work. JMO.

Seems we have something similar here in Florida also. Guardian Ad Litem Program; Advocacy & Human Rights, Children & Youth, Community

Mission Statement
To speak in court for the best interests of children who are alleged to be abused, neglected, or abandoned and who are involved in court proceedings. Best interests include preservation of the child's physical safety and emotional well-being; permanent placement in a stable and nurturing home environment that fosters the child's healthy growth and development; and protection from further harm during the child's involvement in the court system.

Description
This organization recruits, trains, and supervises ordinary citizens to investigate and monitor dependency cases, as well as report to the court the wishes and best interests of those children.

Bear in mind this is designed for the child that is assumed to be able to survive conditions they are or have been living under until they can get help. Seems there is a great need to create the awareness of these types of advocacy programs and the need for volunteers to help them but we still need something in place to prevent a lapse of time between a child's safety and disappearance via the neglect by the parent. A child unreported should be considered a case of neglect in itself.

The Jessica Lunsford Act garnered world wide media attention when Mark Lunsford launched his campaign to see it passed in as many states as possible.

Caylee's case has certainly received as much attention if not more as little Jessie's case. A bill in Caylee's honor should do very well if done properly, in my opinion.

I'm all for anything that creates tougher laws and penalties for ANYONE who abuses or neglects a child. Plus something good needs to come out of this nightmare.

Jessie lives on in every innocent child her law saves from Pedophiles. Caylee's love and light deserves to live on in the same way.

We owe her that much and more.

Yes, and that bill addressed an issue that came directly out of that child's murder, was a direct cause. This doesn't because no one even knew Caylee was missing for a month. An advocate wouldn't have made any difference at all.

That bill also addressed the issue of child predators and a fairly national issue with these criminals not serving long sentences and reoffending. The advocates bill would be seen by reporters as just another administrative bill.

And Mark Lunsford was a very touching and effective voice for that bill, largely because of the personal tragedy he faced. Add in the fact that the local prosecutor in that case appeared to be dragging his feet and he was extremely sympathetic. Who would be the personal spokesperson for this bill? Cindy?

Look, I'm not trying to discourage you all from seeking a bill, I'm just trying to help you avoid a battle that won't achieve what you hope to achieve.

For example, a couple of people here have suggested a better bill would be one requiring that parents report a missing child within a certain number of hours. That would be a much stronger bill and would far more directly connect to this case.

I could still foresee some serious problems, starting with how often does this happen? Is this the only instance where it's been impossible to find a missing child because no one reported them missing for a month? I'm sure it's possible to research that through some of the groups that work on the issue of missing children.

Keep in mind the first thing any legislator will tell you is that not every problem can or should be solved with legislation.

My point on the spelling or writing is it just doesn't matter very much but, I'll let you have the "last word" on that. Nuff said.

As for the bill, your words are not very encouraging. How do you know if a bill that we are talking about won't draw significant coverage from the media? At all......as you say? I disagree with that statement. The only way to accomplish this is to support it. It doesn't sound like you do.....at all. So, my question to you is why are you posting on this subject if you don't support it?

I think I addressed this in my last post. I'm not trying to discourage you from trying, just encouraging you to find a better vehicle for your efforts.

That's part of what you should be doing right now - looking at what issue should be addressed, could be successfully addressed and make a difference and would be able to garner enough support to pass.

You might want to start by talking to people like the sheriff, the prosecutor's office and missing children's groups and asking what they think would be needed to ensure this doesn't happen again.

I think I addressed this in my last post. I'm not trying to discourage you from trying, just encouraging you to find a better vehicle for your efforts.

That's part of what you should be doing right now - looking at what issue should be addressed, could be successfully addressed and make a difference and would be able to garner enough support to pass.

You might want to start by talking to people like the sheriff, the prosecutor's office and missing children's groups and asking what they think would be needed to ensure this doesn't happen again.

I see. So we need to do some research.

Yes we do, and thank you. Garden, I will try harder. Bare with me, it may be a long road!

It will be a long road, I'm afraid. If you don't care passionately about it, it's hard to keep pushing for what may be several years through small successes and big defeats.

I can't stress enough why it's crucial to thoroughly research and think out now what is the real issue, what will it accomplish and who will support and who will oppose it.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MeanBean
Back