Evelyn Wanek

Thank you for answering Annasmom. You are so gracious. You too have been traumatized, but are so strong!

Do we know when GB was diagnosed with cancer? Probably irrelevant, but perhaps EW administered some "cancer treatment" to him and that is how they know her?

I'm sorry; I don't know this. The only information about GW's cancer we have is test results which were among GW's papers, and those were done when the illness was very advanced. Your suggestion about EW makes sense to me.

I do not believe those notes were kept. They were not suicide notes, but rather mottoes or expressions of guilt. As I said, I only knew about them because the hotel manager mentioned them to Joe Ford. As to the coroner's report, the name of the coroner is on GW's death certificate, but I cannot decipher his handwriting. The death certificate (which I have scanned and posted on the forum previously) says that death was a suicide by cyanide poisoning and that an autopsy was performed.

Cubby mentioned the reason GW was terminated from his jobs. I have a letter from the Permanente Medical Group dated December 31, 1973, terminating him for various reasons including productivity, but apparently Kaiser rehired him and on November 5, 1980, reprimanded him for only seeing 3190 patients instead of the minimum of 4200. The Mission Neighborhood Health Center fired him in February, 1981, for insubordination and absenteeism.

I had thought they were notes of somekind retained by the coroner. Perhaps I misunderstood.... I was hoping if there were any notes with th coroner we might find some clues.

Interesting about GW... I was actually recalling something about over diagnosing a thyroid? condition and thought perhaps he had some kind of contact or shared interest in the same medical condition with EW.

Do you recall what medical condition that might have been Annasmom? Thinking outloud....

thank you!

Good points Jules'... in particular it would be sooo nice to know what the relationship was between GW GB and EW prior to the phone call Joe Ford discovered. Which is my reasoning for asking about the over dx of some medical condition by GW which he was disciplined for but I can't recall......

I think we should go back and look more into the 'spa' facility EW ran... I wonder what else we can find out about that spa.

I believe that it was an alternative-therapy spa that emphasized enemas to treat conditions. Considering that the spa was located nearby where Brody lived in SF and that Brody had recommended that Annasmom administer an enema to Waters, I speculate that Brody and Wanek may have known each other prior to Brody and Waters meeting. More speculation: that Wanek may have "treated" Margaret also and that is how GB and EW meet, then GB used her later when he became ill.

I believe that it was an alternative-therapy spa that emphasized enemas to treat conditions. Considering that the spa was located nearby where Brody lived in SF and that Brody had recommended that Annasmom administer an enema to Waters, I speculate that Brody and Wanek may have known each other prior to Brody and Waters meeting. More speculation: that Wanek may have "treated" Margaret also and that is how GB and EW meet, then GB used her later when he became ill.

Why then am I thinking she was in so cal when GB made the call to her? Or did she later move to that area? Didn't GW make a call to someone closer to LA or San Diego? Or am I getting mild dementia in my 40's? ;)

Why then am I thinking she was in so cal when GB made the call to her? Or did she later move to that area? Didn't GW make a call to someone closer to LA or San Diego? Or am I getting mild dementia in my 40's? ;)
She had her office in Pacifica (a few miles south of San Francisco) when George made the long telephone call to her.

She had her office in Pacifica (a few miles south of San Francisco) when George made the long telephone call to her.

Thanks! I just realized what I had done... in my mind I registered Pacifica as being in So Cal for some reason and never looked at a map. :doh: I'm laughing at myself..... lol

Thank you so much for clarifying that for me. That's what I get for assuming I know CA well when I am half way across the country. lol

Thanks! I just realized what I had done... in my mind I registered Pacifica as being in So Cal for some reason and never looked at a map. :doh: I'm laughing at myself..... lol

Thank you so much for clarifying that for me. That's what I get for assuming I know CA well when I am half way across the country. lol

.... where did EW pass away again? Redwoods area? Teehee, I am not looking at a map. Redwood City maybe what we're thinking of.

.... where did EW pass away again? Redwoods area? Teehee, I am not looking at a map. Redwood City maybe what we're thinking of.

I'm not even going to take a guess at that one, I'd probably do about as good as say playing pin the tail on the donkey after being spun around. ay yi yi! I need a good nights sleep as here I am getting slap happy talking about pin the tail on the donkey on Annas threads...... :crazy:

What is the verdict then on EW? No connexion except for the phone call, and no way she could have had anything to do with Anna, or am I reading things wrong?

I wondered for a while if she could have been a go-between of some sort between the two Georges and whoever the adoptive/foster parents were - if the two Georges actually had something to do with Anna's disappearance and wanted to remove her from the family. EW could have been in a position to arrange illegal adoption or selling of children or know coupes who wanted to adopt through her profession; then again, she may have been completely unconnected with Anna's disappearance.

maybe she knew someone who needed a child and gave them that info. the whole georges dying shortly after she disaapered is even stranger. so many unanswered questions

The call to Evelyn Wanek after Brody died from Waters drives me insane. Why did he call her and have such a long conversation? OK, if EW assisted in Brody's health why such a call after he died? Wouldn't it only take a few moments to tell someone he passed away but thank you for your help?

Is there anyone out there who can find an obit on Evelyn? Was Anna given to her, we need to find out if this is so - perhaps it was written in her obit?

I can't see either George doing something dreadful to Anna, no way.... so, with that said, Anna is definitely out there!

SK

The call to Evelyn Wanek after Brody died from Waters drives me insane. Why did he call her and have such a long conversation? OK, if EW assisted in Brody's health why such a call after he died? Wouldn't it only take a few moments to tell someone he passed away but thank you for your help?

Is there anyone out there who can find an obit on Evelyn? Was Anna given to her, we need to find out if this is so - perhaps it was written in her obit?

I can't see either George doing something dreadful to Anna, no way.... so, with that said, Anna is definitely out there!

SK

Grrr. it took me so long to type my reply, it logged me out. There is a new site called Fold3.com that has a lot of good info, and has (5) EV records, one of which is listed in Cali -- about the right time frame. Maybe someone can check it out - I dont feel like I have enough grasp to make the connections.

On a side note, as I was rereading, there was a reference to GB in Stark County, Ohio -- thinking perhaps his ashes were sent back here... has this ever been ruled out?

If GB was from Bucks county, I dont think it would be a stretch to think he had relatives here -- and if GW flew to Chicago, perhaps he took a connecting flight here (not sure if you could go direct to Cleveland then, which would have been closer).

Anyway, if someone can make a connection/think its worth follow up, let me know - they have cemetery books in the library downtown.

I forgot to mention that politics would have been a hot issue here back then, President McKinley was from here, and there were some other Ohio presidents about the right time frame. Also, Annasmom mentioned the lack of an accent - People from pittsburgh are about 90 min usually have a distinct accent/word usage that we can tell, but this area is pretty commonly known for its "common american accent" - like what you hear on TV - hope that makes sense. so maybe a couple of things to support that idea.

ANNA WANEK

Associated Names / Possible Aliases:
ANNA M HAYDEL (Age 44)
ANNA M ONEAL (Age 44)
ANNA M WANEK (Age 44)
ANNA M WARDREP (Age 44)
ANNA WARDREP (Age 44)
ANNA M WARNKE (Age 44) 44 CROSBY, TX 77532
WASILLA, AK 99654
BAYTOWN, TX 77521
MAYO, FL 32066
LEESVILLE, LA 71446
[ 9 Unique Addresses ]
[ 3 Unique Telephone Numbers ]

WARDREP, SHAWN L
WARNKE, JAMES E (Age 58)
WARNKE, MONICA
WARNKE, KRISTY
WARNKE, JAMES EDWARD (Age 58)

Just did a search for Evelyn Wanek on Ancestry and found some information that has not previously been discussed in this thread, for some reason. Maybe the info was added recently.

She was in *drumroll* Oakland California 1939-1941... then she appears in San Francisco from 1943-1970 (not all years have directories available but assuming she didn't leave and come back)

GB was last listed in Oakland in 1944, then is missing until 1962 when he appears in SF. But she was in Oakland when he was.

Also in 1941, she was listed as a masseuse in Oakland. There was a David Westling at the same address, also listed as a masseuse in 1941. He was most likely a relative of EW's. He also was at 967 Sutter (same as EW) in 1943. He appears to have died in 1977. He was also, like EW, born in Minnesota.

I think it is extremely important to try to locate Evelyn's family who are still living. Like most folks, everyone leaves 'stuff' behind. Perhaps in our luck she left some information unknowingly that would help us further this search/cross the family off this list or perhaps, gain some info. Just a reminder GW went as George Wolf/Wolfe to Eveyln.

Below is her death record:

Evelyn WANEK
Birth Date: 11 Feb 1906
Death Date: 31 Dec 1992
Social Security Number: 557-18-1586
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: California

Death Residence Localities
ZIP Code: 95006
Localities: Big Basin, Santa Cruz, California
Boulder Creek, Santa Cruz, California

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Sea...ris2friendly=&juris3friendly=&juris4friendly=

She was about 79 years old when George Waters called her after Brody passed away. I wonder what an almost 80 yr. old woman would need to know OTHERTHAN if she did treat Brody with his illness's. A 40 minute chat is quite a long chat just to let a medical contact know about the death of Brody.

I feel that whoever was involved in Anna's disappearance could be not that far off from who we know, who they knew. Afterall, Anna wasn't given to just anyone in the world if you believe the G's were involved. I can't imagine even if she was sent oversea's that the person taking her would be an unknown to the point that no one can find that person, that is why awhile back I asked everyone who George Waters may have known whether or not he kept in touch ... I think another prospect would be a nurse or Dr. he worked with if we can find names of these people. At age 5, I am wondering if whoever fell for this scenerio changed Anna's name. Could well be but who knows.

If ..... Anna's caretakers were completely not related to friendship or acquaintance to the G's, how would Waters find a person to take Anna and go along with a story for so long? Ok, despite money. Both G's are now gone. Whoever took Anna, could well have told her something about her life/what happened as a child/some truth?

I have been contacted by a Wanek who wishes to remain offline with an offer to help anyway she can. Eleven years later, we may be able to get some answers on this possible lead. If there are any specific questions that you would like to ask, please email me at douglasmfrench@gmail.com. And please respect the fact that this person is offering her help - please do not publicly post any speculation about the Evelyn or her family. Thanks.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gingerdoodle
Back