Evelyn Wanek

Bringing this back to discuss Evelyn's relatives. I feel we are fortunate to have at least one living Wanek to try to track down. Loretta Francis's children, David and Maureen are out there. Evelyn would be the aunt to these people. There is also Florence born in 1905. Smaller chance she is still alive but one never knows.....

Due to the fact the George Waters made a call to Evelyn after Brody passed, one would think they were close enough for a chat despite GW being distraught and feeling very low at this time.

~

A little more genealogical information on Evelyn Wanek

Maybe Joe Ford or Annasmom will reconize a name.

According US census records Evelyn's family lived in North Dakota from at least 1910 to 1930. Death records show her mother, father, and at least one sister also died in CA

Father: Joseph M. Wanek b. 1-27-1873 d. 4-15-1972 (SF CA)
Mother: Barbara (Matuska) b. 6-27-1883 d. 11-30-1981 (SF CA)
Sister: Florence M. b.1905
Self: Evelyn R. b. 2-11-1906 d.12-31-1992 (San Mateo CA)
Sister: Loretta F. (Guidici) b. 10-25-1911 d. 10-19-1995 (Santa Cruz CA)

I haven't been able to trace info on older sister Florence yet

Loretta Frances Wanek married Peter Guidici (both deceased)
children:
David Charles Guidici b.5-16-42 d.10-27-81 (San Mateo CA)
Maureen C. Guidici b.12-7-37

Maureen is still living, married twice, and appears to have a couple step-children, none of her own. If Anna was given to a Wanek family member, Maureen would be a possible choice. IMHO. There was a (now 40 year old) woman living in their household at one time. I believe she was the wife of a step son.

Evelyn's uncle Nick Matuska (b.10-11-1883 d.3-28-1965 Wilkin, MN) lived with the Wanek family for several years. Uncle Nick married in 1911 to Wilma and had 3 daughters (one named Evelyn) and 2 sons in ND by 1930. Not sure when he moved to MN, but his children would all be about the right age to receive a child Anna's age. Nick's WWI draft info lists him as medium height, blue eyes and brown hair

A man by the name of Frank Zitka (b.1868) lived with the Wanek family as a lodger or a servant in the 1930's

Oh for sure! The French connection!!

I'm looking at Gagseau?? First same ....short for Samuel?
LOL!

It looks like Gasseau to me. The letter before the "seau" looks just like the s. I don't see anything that mixes with the typed/printed A below those two letters, if that makes sense. I have no idea if this is even still being looked at though. :)

I was also going to say, my friend has 2 birth certificates, with 2 different dates of birth on them, and they both bear the seal of the state. They both look legitimate. She was concerned she was kidnapped and told me, which is how I know. I was told by a doctor I knew that if parents had a legitimate reason for changing a birthday back then, they were able to get it changed on the birth certificate. He (the doctor) said it was not an uncommon practice back then (my friend was born in 1976). I don't know if that was true when Anna was born or not. But one reason for changing the day was for school enrollment. I say this because I think it would not be unreasonable to look at women around Anna's current age. Her birthdate could have been changed to a different month/day or even year. They could have her original birth day amended, or (of course) they could have gotten a fake birth certificate.

I would say that late EW was a kind of a friend or maybe a distant cousin of GB, becasue she was called immidiately after the death of GB. She is of the chech origin and I woud sau that we can exclude possibility that M. Kukoda was of the same origin, maybe GB also...or at least from the same town....

Due to the fact that Dr. Waters made a long call to E. Wanek after Brody passed away still haunts me as to WHY this call and WHY so long?

Apparently if I am recalling, it was rouphly a 40 minute call. I have contacted some Waneks via email/facebook with no response whatsoever. I would like to list as many W's on the west coast to find relatives of Evelyn (if possible). No replies tells me perhaps they do know....... something?

I'd like to either rule out all together or keep wondering till the cows decide to come home. Any thoughts? :banghead:

~ If Anna were given to this family, and she gave birth lets say, without marrying, (it happens!), she may have given birth between 1987 age 20 to 1995 age 28. We can take it younger as well, 1985 Anna would have been 18yrs old.

SKick

Due to the fact that Dr. Waters made a long call to E. Wanek after Brody passed away still haunts me as to WHY this call and WHY so long?

Apparently if I am recalling, it was rouphly a 40 minute call. I have contacted some Waneks via email/facebook with no response whatsoever. I would like to list as many W's on the west coast to find relatives of Evelyn (if possible). No replies tells me perhaps they do know....... something?

I'd like to either rule out all together or keep wondering till the cows decide to come home. Any thoughts? :banghead:

~ If Anna were given to this family, and she gave birth lets say, without marrying, (it happens!), she may have given birth between 1987 age 20 to 1995 age 28. We can take it younger as well, 1985 Anna would have been 18yrs old.

SKick
I think the most likely (and least sinister) answer to the telephone call is that he just didn't have anybody to talk to except this woman, who had seen both of them in her spa or clinic. I think some of his telephone calls had to do with anesthetizing GB in his last hours. If GW planned to take poison himself, he would not have worried about the legal consequences of this action. It was almost pathetic, how he tried to pay all his bills, etc. I'd give a lot to know what was on those notes he apparently left. They were confiscated by the coroner, and we do not know what they said, only that they had something to do with guilt (I forget where I got this idea; maybe from the brother.)

I think the most likely (and least sinister) answer to the telephone call is that he just didn't have anybody to talk to except this woman, who had seen both of them in her spa or clinic. I think some of his telephone calls had to do with anesthetizing GB in his last hours. If GW planned to take poison himself, he would not have worried about the legal consequences of this action. It was almost pathetic, how he tried to pay all his bills, etc. I'd give a lot to know what was on those notes he apparently left. They were confiscated by the coroner, and we do not know what they said, only that they had something to do with guilt (I forget where I got this idea; maybe from the brother.)

Hi!

'The Brother', which brother Annasmom? I do believe you are correct in that EW became a friend/professional health administrator for both G's. So, the Dr.'s coroner took Waters notes and these notes were never confiscated by LE? Do we know the name of this coroner?

Thanks~

The above makes a lot of sense Annasmom and I think you are likely right. I do think GW used the name Jack Wolfe when associating with EW to keep from being associated with his physicians license, possibly do to previous disciplinary action. IIRC he was disciplined for over dx'ng a particular condition but I don't recall which it was.

I wonder about those notes you mention which the coroner confiscated. Shouldn't they have been reviewed by the detective handling Annas case? Were you told LE conclusively ruled out everything contained in those notes as being related in any way to Annas case? I wonder about trying to obtain them via the FOIA. Does anyone know, would those notes confiscated by the coroner be available via the FOIA? They would be worth trying to obtain if they might contain clues to Annas disappearance.

The notes should be in a file somewhere with the coroner's report (different than the death certificate). These should be available - at least to a family member. Perhaps one of George's sibling's coulds assist us - if necessary - in obtaining these files. I will see if I can get the files myself first fromn the SF coroner, but it may take a family member.

The notes should be in a file somewhere with the coroner's report (different than the death certificate). These should be available - at least to a family member. perhaps one of George's sibling's coulds assist us - if necessary - in obtaining these files. I will see if I can get the files myself first fromn the SF coroner, but it may take a family member.

~ Thank you Dr. Doogie,

I really think it is important to try to obtain these last notes Dr. Water's had written. You're efforts are appreciated.

We, as non-family members, can obtain a medical examiner's report (the equivilent to a coroner's report) for only $15. It probably does not contain the notes, but it is the place to start. If it does not have the notes, then the next step is to request that the Medical Examiner's Office locate them in a seperate storage facility and provide them to us. I will send off for the ME report this week.

The above makes a lot of sense Annasmom and I think you are likely right. I do think GW used the name Jack Wolfe when associating with EW to keep from being associated with his physicians license, possibly do to previous disciplinary action. IIRC he was disciplined for over dx'ng a particular condition but I don't recall which it was.

I wonder about those notes you mention which the coroner confiscated. Shouldn't they have been reviewed by the detective handling Annas case? Were you told LE conclusively ruled out everything contained in those notes as being related in any way to Annas case? I wonder about trying to obtain them via the FOIA. Does anyone know, would those notes confiscated by the coroner be available via the FOIA? They would be worth trying to obtain if they might contain clues to Annas disappearance.

I think Doogie's plan is a great one. The FOIA now has at least four files on our case, but apart from one phone call, nothing has come out of it. Apart from following him for a while, LE did not look closely into George's activities and wouldn't have had reason to re-examine his possible involvement with Anna's disappearance when he died nine years later. I am very, very reluctant to involve George's brother in this. I am willing to do whatever it takes to try to solve the mystery of Anna's disappearance myself, but I do not want to cause further trauma to other members of the family. Also, I am not even sure the notes were kept. It was the hotel manager who mentioned them to Joe Ford, and that is the only way I knew about them.

surely they would have kept these as they are proof of suicide right? Otherwise wouldn't they have investigated it more?

I think Doogie's plan is a great one. The FOIA now has at least four files on our case, but apart from one phone call, nothing has come out of it. Apart from following him for a while, LE did not look closely into George's activities and wouldn't have had reason to re-examine his possible involvement with Anna's disappearance when he died nine years later. I am very, very reluctant to involve George's brother in this. I am willing to do whatever it takes to try to solve the mystery of Anna's disappearance myself, but I do not want to cause further trauma to other members of the family. Also, I am not even sure the notes were kept. It was the hotel manager who mentioned them to Joe Ford, and that is the only way I knew about them.

I completely understand. I'm sure GW's family has struggled with both the disappearance of Anna and the loss of GW.

What we need to do, imo, is get the files, ALL Files we can via the FOIA and see if we can't find a way to get the coroners office to release any info via FOIA. I'll do some digging in the UID forum and see if anyone knows the SF CTY coroners office.... I may be able to find someone who can. Will update as able.....

surely they would have kept these as they are proof of suicide right? Otherwise wouldn't they have investigated it more?

I'm not sure what they retained regarding those notes. Hopefully we can find out through the FOIA and hopefully we can get some assistance from a WS'rs who works the UID forum who might know someone in the SF Cty coroners office.

We, as non-family members, can obtain a medical examiner's report (the equivilent to a coroner's report) for only $15. It probably does not contain the notes, but it is the place to start. If it does not have the notes, then the next step is to request that the Medical Examiner's Office locate them in a seperate storage facility and provide them to us. I will send off for the ME report this week.

FWIW, I asked CarlK from the UID forum, who has the most contact with ME's and he has not spoken with anyone in the SF Cty ME ofc. I did a quick search of CA UID's and SF Cty does have a few listed, which is good as not all ME's are yet using NamUs. There is a contact name, tele and email address for the SF ME office. If you want me to pull that info for you and send it to you Doogie let me know.

CarlK did suggest, since both GW and GB are deceased unless those notes are part of an ongoing criminal investigation, to which our knowledge they are not as we don't believe LE ever looked at those notes in connection with Annas disappearance, we should be able to get them. There may or may not be some clue within them, but it they would be interesting to know in relation to Annas disappearance and possibly some answers with regards to GW's relationship with EW.

hth

FWIW, I asked CarlK from the UID forum, who has the most contact with ME's and he has not spoken with anyone in the SF Cty ME ofc. I did a quick search of CA UID's and SF Cty does have a few listed, which is good as not all ME's are yet using NamUs. There is a contact name, tele and email address for the SF ME office. If you want me to pull that info for you and send it to you Doogie let me know.

CarlK did suggest, since both GW and GB are deceased unless those notes are part of an ongoing criminal investigation, to which our knowledge they are not as we don't believe LE ever looked at those notes in connection with Annas disappearance, we should be able to get them. There may or may not be some clue within them, but it they would be interesting to know in relation to Annas disappearance and possibly some answers with regards to GW's relationship with EW.

hth

I do not believe those notes were kept. They were not suicide notes, but rather mottoes or expressions of guilt. As I said, I only knew about them because the hotel manager mentioned them to Joe Ford. As to the coroner's report, the name of the coroner is on GW's death certificate, but I cannot decipher his handwriting. The death certificate (which I have scanned and posted on the forum previously) says that death was a suicide by cyanide poisoning and that an autopsy was performed.

Cubby mentioned the reason GW was terminated from his jobs. I have a letter from the Permanente Medical Group dated December 31, 1973, terminating him for various reasons including productivity, but apparently Kaiser rehired him and on November 5, 1980, reprimanded him for only seeing 3190 patients instead of the minimum of 4200. The Mission Neighborhood Health Center fired him in February, 1981, for insubordination and absenteeism.

Forgive me if this has already been answered, I have not been here for awhile (but have been following), but do you have any credit card slips in the BFH from the late 70's/80's before he died? Perhaps he traveled to see Anna? What made me think of it were his frequent absences. I would have thought GB would want him to work as much as possible to make more $$--why was he absent so much? Also--did anyone at his workplace know that he lived with GB and if so, how did he describe their relationship (father, friend, etc.)

I do not believe those notes were kept. They were not suicide notes, but rather mottoes or expressions of guilt. As I said, I only knew about them because the hotel manager mentioned them to Joe Ford. As to the coroner's report, the name of the coroner is on GW's death certificate, but I cannot decipher his handwriting. The death certificate (which I have scanned and posted on the forum previously) says that death was a suicide by cyanide poisoning and that an autopsy was performed.

Cubby mentioned the reason GW was terminated from his jobs. I have a letter from the Permanente Medical Group dated December 31, 1973, terminating him for various reasons including productivity, but apparently Kaiser rehired him and on November 5, 1980, reprimanded him for only seeing 3190 patients instead of the minimum of 4200. The Mission Neighborhood Health Center fired him in February, 1981, for insubordination and absenteeism.

I did not wish to be disrespectful in any way, but has GW's family assisted you in any way in finding Anna? Since she is family to them as well, I woudl think they would have a vested interest?

Forgive me if this has already been answered, I have not been here for awhile (but have been following), but do you have any credit card slips in the BFH from the late 70's/80's before he died? Perhaps he traveled to see Anna? What made me think of it were his frequent absences. I would have thought GB would want him to work as much as possible to make more $$--why was he absent so much? Also--did anyone at his workplace know that he lived with GB and if so, how did he describe their relationship (father, friend, etc.)

There were probably two reasons he was absent from work...first, he was taking care of Brody, who had terminal cancer, and second, he had at least two jobs that we know of. I am quite sure nobody knew that he lived with GB except the hotel manager, who called them the "odd couple" and believed it was sort of a father-son situation.

In answer to your question about the family, they have been extremely traumatized and have expressed a willingness to help in any way they could, but what can they do? The brother offered to give a DNA sample when we were doing the comparisons, but it wasn't necessary. They are wonderful people and you can imagine what a catastrophic tragedy it was for them to lose a granddaughter and then a son, especially under the circumstances.

Thank you for answering Annasmom. You are so gracious. You too have been traumatized, but are so strong!

Do we know when GB was diagnosed with cancer? Probably irrelevant, but perhaps EW administered some "cancer treatment" to him and that is how they know her?

There were probably two reasons he was absent from work...first, he was taking care of Brody, who had terminal cancer, and second, he had at least two jobs that we know of. I am quite sure nobody knew that he lived with GB except the hotel manager, who called them the "odd couple" and believed it was sort of a father-son situation.

In answer to your question about the family, they have been extremely traumatized and have expressed a willingness to help in any way they could, but what can they do? The brother offered to give a DNA sample when we were doing the comparisons, but it wasn't necessary. They are wonderful people and you can imagine what a catastrophic tragedy it was for them to lose a granddaughter and then a son, especially under the circumstances.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back