LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2002, the body of Pam Kinnamore was found at that exit. Less than a year later, the body of Carrie Lynn Yoder was also discovered at Whiskey Bay. Police said both women were the victims of Derrick Todd Lee, the Baton Rouge serial killer who has since been convicted and now sits on death row at the Louisiana State Penitentiary.

Blanchard said he also could recall an unrelated murder that took place in the same area several years ago, and a case where the body of a child who had been abducted from Texas was left there.

That same exit became connected with another apparent crime last Sunday, when two fishermen found Shunick's bicycle there.

Former Baton Rouge Police Chief Pat Englade, who led the serial killer task force in the early 2000s, said he's been keeping up with the Shunick case and still has vivid memories of Whiskey Bay nearly a decade after the task force investigation led him there.

"I get a chill down my back," Englade said. "Other than being a fishing spot, it looks like it's been a horrible spot for crime over the years. I think it's because it's just so remote. If you go down there at night, it's really spooky. Obviously, a lot of criminals are looking for the most remote places they can find, and that's probably the most remote between Lafayette and Baton Rouge."

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/arti...030340/Exploring-Whiskey-Bay?odyssey=nav|head

If everyone is basing the idea that there was a search at WB going on today based on the pictures from the I-10 cameras...I don't think that's a safe assumption to make. The area shown in this picture is usually full of trucks and fishing equipment. This is where a lot of people go to fish in the basin. It is near where the bike was found, but not the same exact area. And I am not sure if there were any LE vehicles on cam...if there were, it's possible LE was out there but I haven't heard that suggested anywhere other than this thread.

Just an FYI, that's not where we parked LOL!!

Although he fishes off the Whiskey Bay banks several times a week, Detiege said he's become more cautious over the years as the location's reputation for crime has increased. Nowadays, Detiege said he never goes there alone, bringing friends, neighbors, his children or grandchildren with him. He also keeps a close eye on everybody around him, whether it's fellow fishermen he doesn't know, tourists stopping to take photos of the Atchafalaya Basin or people who pull off the exit to take a rest.

"It's always in the back of your head," Detiege said. "When someone pulls up, you're looking at them, wondering what they are doing there and what's going on and why did they stop here."

Detiege said he's especially cautious about any vehicles that park on the left side of La. 975. There is no boat ramp there, just an open area of dirt and gravel that is littered with beer bottles, fast food cups, broken pieces of discarded lumber, torn insulation and other small items of debris.

"You don't see anybody on the other side," Detiege said. "There's always more people over here."

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/arti...030340/Exploring-Whiskey-Bay?odyssey=nav|head

I lost a whole post lol

I'm looking at this picture again. It's the car heading down St. Landry (before Mickey). You can see a white truck coming up St. Landry. I believe the car continues out of the area, and the white truck is the one we see shortly after at the Circle K going towards University. We then see this white truck coming back down St. Landry (after Mickey).

We've probably established all of that, but my point is... the picture of the car is taken from 216 St. Landry. You can see the apartment building in the background. So, that camera was working, and if Mickey did go past there, she would have shown up clear as day.

So what happened to her?

29uocis.jpg

Mickey is an extremely pretty girl.One that a kidnapper would most likely keep around instead of killing.If she plays it cool she might have a chance.

That's the thing though. Short of a confession...none of that really matters. It requires evidence to build a case and that's what LE is working on right now. Theyre putting all their efforts into finding Mickey and/or her belongings to build the case from there. Having a suspect or POI or even if they have a pretty good idea of exactly what happened, doesn't matter until they find her or the rest of her stuff. So that's why theyre not overly concerned with anything else at the moment. Theyre just gonna keep searching until they find all the evidence.

This bears repeating.

No idea. I believe they said her phone was last texted at 1:30-something. Which would put her still at BW's

So she gets a text at BW's house, then within a few minutes of that, she says she's ready to leave because she isn't feeling well (but yet she feels well enough to go to TB for food).

Hmmm...

Sounds like the stage was set for her to meet some sort of connection. Booty call, or just hanging out, or maybe to score some MJ. Thoughts?

And couldn't the telephone # of the last person who texted her be gleaned thru phone records from her provider?

I found the above article interesting re: Whiskey Bay.

This came to mind:

I live in NY, and an avid beach goer. I am very familiar with the LI area where all the bodies were found. The area is remote, just like Whiskey Bay. It gives me chills to think how often I was out there. Some locals don't even know how to access the remote beaches.

Several years ago, I went out there to hike with a friend. It was November. It's cold in Nov. at the shore. My friend and I (2 females) sat down to have our hot soup. Out of nowhere, in the dunes-a naked man appeared. Buck naked--I remind you it was very cold. She laughed, thought it was funny. I immediately grabbed our packs and her towards the open beach where other people were.

He followed us. I kept our route public. It was very scary.

Long Island Serial Killer Is Seasonal Visitor, Expert Scott Bonn Contends

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/21/serial-killer-expert-dr-scott-bonn_n_1290683.html

Mickey is an extremely pretty girl.One that a kidnapper would most likely keep around instead of killing.If she plays it cool she might have a chance.

There are many "extremely pretty girls" who are kidnapped on a daily basis. The majority are killed within an hour or two. People who do this type of thing don't see the people they take as people. They are objects and objects are very replaceable.

There are many "extremely pretty girls" who are kidnapped on a daily basis. The majority are killed within an hour or two. People who do this type of thing don't see the people they take as people. They are objects and objects are very replaceable.

I also believe that there are many who also get away and never tell anyone.
Just curious though,where do you get your statistics?

Another important point to repeat as far as safety goes:

If someone tries to force you to leave where you are with a weapon (whether gun or knife) or even if they just try to physically remove you from where are - DO NOT GO WITH THEM! If they are going to kill you, make them do it right where you are. Hit, kick, bite, scratch, head butt, and SCREAM, anything you can think of to make them think it just is not worth the trouble.

History has shown, when women really fight back, the perp is more apt to leave because there is a bigger chance of someone noticing.

And, as horrible as it is to think this way, at least IF they do kill you where you are, there is a crime scene and most likely, a body. Many, many, many missing people are NEVER found.

If someone tries to force you to leave where you are with a weapon (whether gun or knife) or even if they just try to physically remove you from where are - DO NOT GO WITH THEM! If they are going to kill you, make them do it right where you are. Hit, kick, bite, scratch, head butt, and SCREAM, anything you can think of to make them think it just is not worth the trouble.

History has shown, when women really fight back, the perp is more apt to leave because there is a bigger chance of someone noticing.

And, as horrible as it is to think this way, at least IF they do kill you where you are, there is a crime scene and most likely, a body. Many, many, many missing people are NEVER found.

This is true-never go from point A to point B with them-make them do whatever their going to do right there-cause most likely he is going to kill you anyways-I hate to say this!!

I also believe that there are many who also get away and never tell anyone.
Just curious though,where do you get your statistics?

Years and years of research and reading autopsy reports that include times of death.

But-their are also people out there who keep pretty girls alive for days or even yrs....we have to have this hope to keep going and not stop looking for them-MOOC

There are, but it is unfortunately, a very small percentage. And I would never suggest anyone ever stop looking for the missing.

Its not so easy if your short,tiny,and petite. I was short,tiny,and petite like Mickey was.No way could I have fought him off.Also,when it happens it happens so fast that you are too scared to even move.

There are, but it is unfortunately, a very small percentage. And I would never suggest anyone ever stop looking for the missing.

I was not saying you said to stop looking for them-I was just pointing out people need that hope!!!Thats all
back to lurking-!!!

So she gets a text at BW's house, then within a few minutes of that, she says she's ready to leave because she isn't feeling well (but yet she feels well enough to go to TB for food). Hmmm... Sounds like the stage was set for her to meet some sort of connection. Booty call, or just hanging out, or maybe to score some MJ. Thoughts?

And couldn't the telephone # of the last person who texted her be gleaned thru phone records from her provider?

If someone sent a text to Mickey with a phantom cell phone using a prepaid calling card would that be traceable? LE can obtain all the pings from designated cell towers within specific time frames but if they discover pings that are untraceable to specific cell customers that may not help them, if indeed a text was sent to Mickey just before she left BW's house.

Calling all WS telecommunications wizards...

Its not so easy if your short,tiny,and petite. I was short,tiny,and petite like Mickey was.No way could I have fought him off.Also,when it happens it happens so fast that you are too scared to even move.

But, you can't be. You have to be proactive because when it comes down to it, it is up to you to save yourself.

I am a very petite woman. My boyfriend is 6'7" and 300 lbs. of solid muscle, but I have learned self-defense techniques that can bring even him to his knees.

And, as I stated before, I exercise my right to carry my gun with me at all times and I bet I can shoot a perp before they shoot me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member