LA - Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette; 19 May 2012 - #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well what the hello, and how would he know?

Right. I have ridden in the same neighborhood for six years. I change my route a wee bit here and there, but I have aps that show my family WHERE I am exactly at all times.

All of my neighbors know me, some speak to me, ONLY my family knows my route.

LA

Yeah cause its creepy as **** at night. Id avoid it.
I thought about that road and had a look around. I'll have to dig around some more there.

IMO going down by Lourdes or Coliseum would be a big NO NO for an experienced lone female cyclist. -- at least for me AT that time of night. I am 46 tho, my racing days are over. My ability to stand in the pedals and sprint for a mile or so past the "creepy" areas are over.

La

No, I didn't know them.I was walking to my cousins house ,and got stung by a bee.While I was sitting on the ground trying to pull out the stinger,a car pulled up and a man jumped out and forced me into the car by knife point.I was only 17 and scared.There were 3 men altogether in the car.I'm not going to go into the hellish details of my ordeal but how I escaped was ,while at their house ,just when they were about to torment me somemore,they got company.They said they would kill me if I tried to escape.While they was with their company I took a chance that their company was people that they would not want to know what they were doing and I simply walked out the front door in front of their company and got away.I was extremely lucky to get away.

I am so sorry that happened to you. How brave and smart to think fast like that!

A smartphone will use GPS to track location. An older, non-smartphone (analog) will use triangulation. GPS does not require the phone to be powered up to send its location, whereas an older phone does. However, a destroyed smartphone may not transmit location. Essentially, the GPS does not require battery life, and the "pinging" on the older models do.

You don't need to be using your phone to have it "pinged", it is constantly doing it whenever it is powered up.

I believe LE should know exactly (within a few feet) of where her phone was powered down, however that occurred. Whether it was destroyed, turned off, or the battery was removed. They should have that information from the phone company by now. I have seen cases where it takes longer to get that information based on the legal issues in any one particular state. But, by now, they should have it. This does not mean that the perp cut power to her phone at the spot she was taken, but he may have. This information may not even be beneficial to their investigation, but they do know, IMO.

http://pursuitmag.com/locating-mobile-phones-through-pinging-and-triangulation/

If the account is in her parents name, LE knew within a few days if they spoke to the correct person. If I had been handed a high profile case like this during my time at Verizon I would have worked overtime to get the documentation handed over.

LA

I thought of that especially in the early days before TES. Maybe the "scene" wasn't cleaned up as well as we think. The perp goes back and even blends it with the search party. He knows exactly where to go...

These people tried very hard to set up a search and rescue command post. In retrospect I see areas where everyone should have taken more precaution such as id's for everyone and assigned areas. Prior to TES I volunteered and just picked a place myself on the map where I was going to go. Probably not the best idea in retrospect to allow volunteers to go wherever they wanted.

But...
I give Mickeys friends, family and the Lafayette community a lot of credit. They pulled together and tried the best they could to find Mickey. Nothing can prepare you for this situation so most people had little knowledge of organizing a search and rescue event. People did the best they could. At least people tried and didn't sit back complacently waiting for someone else to come do the job. People saw a need, and with love and compassion they mobilized with optimism, determination, and faith searching for this young woman who could be their sister, daughter, girlfriend or best friend.

Well, I was fighting you earlier as I was farther down the learning curve, but Breshear is the only option if neither 216 nor the two LCG cams have her... unless she got picked up right there in front of Circle K!!!!

Is there a camera somewhere on the backside of the LCG/LUS building? Cutting through that parking lot over to Azalia or Parkside is a bit awkward. She'd have to drive to the end of the lot away from the building and then diagonally come back to the other side close to the building to get out of the lot onto Azalia.

I am still confused about the trucks. The truck heading south on SL is the Z71. Is this ALSO the same truck barely seen by the apartments heading back towards Circle K? Thanks!

These people tried very hard to set up a search and rescue command post. In retrospect I see areas where everyone should have taken more precaution such as id's for everyone and assigned areas. Prior to TES I volunteered and just picked a place myself on the map where I was going to go. Probably not the best idea in retrospect to allow volunteers to go wherever they wanted.

But...
I give Mickeys friends, family and the Lafayette community a lot of credit. They pulled together and tried the best they could to find Mickey. Nothing can prepare you for this situation so most people had little knowledge of organizing a search and rescue event. People did the best they could. At least people tried and didn't sit back complacently waiting for someone else to come do the job. People saw a need, and with love and compassion they mobilized with optimism, determination, and faith searching for this young woman who could be their sister, daughter, girlfriend or best friend.

Boudin, you're preaching to the choir here. I have never witnessed a family/friends/ community, come together as a team in a missing person case, as they have for Mickey Schunick. It is very inspiring to see everyone contributing to the cause of bringing her home.

If the account is in her parents name, LE knew within a few days if they spoke to the correct person. If I had been handed a high profile case like this during my time at Verizon I would have worked overtime to get the documentation handed over.

LA

Her phone was on a shared plan in the parents name. They were all working on that from day one

IMO going down by Lourdes or Coliseum would be a big NO NO for an experienced lone female cyclist. -- at least for me AT that time of night. I am 46 tho, my racing days are over. My ability to stand in the pedals and sprint for a mile or so past the "creepy" areas are over.

La

Im a grown *advertiser censored* man and I would avoid Lourdes or Coliseum at night.

I know everyone is tired of hearing about the white truck debacle......but, what about this scenario? What IF, the two white trucks in front of Circle K are the same truck. I know that some people think it is and some don't. We know that they questioned RM. Could it be possible that he told LE, "yes, that is me/friends in the truck going the opposite direction of MS, but that's not us following her." Maybe that is why they are only now looking for the truck that was going the same direction as MS. Could RM have been lying and LE believe him and maybe that truck going the same way as MS really IS RM? Idk, just MOO. This is just another scenario I thought of.

I know everyone is tired of hearing about the white truck debacle......but, what about this scenario? What IF, the two white trucks in front of Circle K are the same truck. I know that some people think it is and some don't. We know that they questioned RM. Could it be possible that he told LE, "yes, that is me/friends in the truck going the opposite direction of MS, but that's not us following her." Maybe that is why they are only now looking for the truck that was going the same direction as MS. Could RM have been lying and LE believe him and maybe that truck going the same way as MS really IS RM? Idk, just MOO. This is just another scenario I thought of.

That's the thing though. Short of a confession...none of that really matters. It requires evidence to build a case and that's what LE is working on right now. Theyre putting all their efforts into finding Mickey and/or her belongings to build the case from there. Having a suspect or POI or even if they have a pretty good idea of exactly what happened, doesn't matter until they find her or the rest of her stuff. So that's why theyre not overly concerned with anything else at the moment. Theyre just gonna keep searching until they find all the evidence.

Does anyone know what all she was carrying in her backpack?

Women need to be able to fight back!
Its more often than not a fight for your life!

Katrate
Judo
pepper spray and karate!
Scream and scream loudly!

IF YOU ARE ON YOUR BIKE HOLD ON TO IT THEY CANT DO MUCH WITH YOU AND THE BIKE TOGETHER!

There is a lot to be said for a CHL. I never leave home without my 9mm.

A gun wouldn't have been much help if she had to fumble around in her purse/bag for it, get her finger on the trigger and aim just right. Might not have been enough time. Suppose he bumped her bike, stopped, got out, was asking if she was hurt, could he help... all the time giving the impression that he was friendly, concerned. She may not have even felt threatened enough to grab for a gun... until he was right upon her. And then it would have been too late.

You aren't just going to throw a gun into a purse or backpack. That would risk having debris get inside the barrel. You'd have it on a holster and if I were riding a bike, it'd already be locked and loaded. It takes seconds for me to take my gun out of my holster and be ready to shoot.

There is a lot to be said for practice and taking classes.

Also, I NEVER consider someone I don't know friendly. I always think first that they are trying to harm me or my family in some way. Maybe that is paranoid, but it keeps us safe and that is the most important thing.

Also, I believe in LA, you don't have to conceal a weapon. I think they allow a sidearm without a license.

And the WB traffic cam looks to be non functioning again this morning :waitasec:

You aren't just going to throw a gun into a purse or backpack. That would risk having debris get inside the barrel. You'd have it on a holster and if I were riding a bike, it'd already be locked and loaded. It takes seconds for me to take my gun out of my holster and be ready to shoot.

There is a lot to be said for practice and taking classes.

Also, I NEVER consider someone I don't know friendly. I always think first that they are trying to harm me or my family in some way. Maybe that is paranoid, but it keeps us safe and that is the most important thing.

Also, I believe in LA, you don't have to conceal a weapon. I think they allow a sidearm without a license.

Right. You can open carry in LA without a license. But need a license to conceal

A.C.I., what are your theories of Mickey's disappearance and the progress in the investigation? If you don't mind sharing of course..

Exploring Whiskey Bay

It's that one exit on eastbound Interstate 10 that just seems a little bit different than the others.

Travelers who take Exit 127, commonly known as the Whiskey Bay exit, are driving into the definition of seclusion. While most interstate exits lead to at least convenience stores and fast food restaurants, this one — just 30 miles east of Lafayette —is almost completely desolate.

It's also the turn-off linked to the mysterious and high-profile disappearance of Michaela "Mickey" Shunick, last seen May 19 in surveillance footage riding her bicycle. Her bike was discovered a week ago in the waters of Whiskey Bay.

This remote exit has a ramp that curves sharply, almost into a complete circle, and leads onto La. 975. Turn left onto La. 975, go just about 40 yards, and there's a huge white sign with "NO" written in large black letters. The sign is a not-so-subtle reminder that there is no public access into the woods beyond that point and trespassing is prohibited. Visitors clearly are not welcome.

Go right onto La. 975, and the road immediately goes under the I-10 Atchafalaya Basin bridge, where the loud thundering of vehicles traveling at least 60 miles per hour overhead nearly drowns out the sounds of birds chirping and bugs hissing in the thick underbrush. It's an odd dichotomy — the sense of being in the middle of nowhere, but less than a mile from one of the most-traveled interstates in the country.

"It's a secluded area. Most people that go out there are going to camps or just exiting the interstate for a second and then getting back on," said Maj. Johnny Blanchard, head of the Iberville Parish Sheriff's Office uniform patrol section. "There are no gas stations and no rest areas, just the boat launch. You have to go a mile or two before you see any camps. There is traffic in and out, but there are no residents or businesses anywhere around."

Just about all of that traffic surrounds the boat launch to the right of La. 975. It's a manmade cement slope, steep and heavily ridged, that leads right into Whiskey Bay and, ultimately, parts of the Atchafalaya Basin. A brown wood-and-metal sign just in front of the launch serves as an information center. On Thursday, it featured a missing-person flier with Shunick's photo and description, as well as information on hunting and fishing permits and regulations.

more;

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/arti...030340/Exploring-Whiskey-Bay?odyssey=nav|head

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member