Melissa Huckaby, Suspect- thread #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
From this article, it looks like MH was working hard to get child support out of the father of her 5 year old. Had we heard about any ties MH might have had to Topkea?

"A Topeka man may be able to provide some answers for law enforcement investigating the California woman who was arrested Saturday for allegedly killing an 8-year-old girl and stuffing her into a suitcase."

http://www.cjonline.com/news/2009-04-12/accused_calif_mom_has_area_ties

"Johnny and Amanda Mays Huckaby have several listings in district court records for debts unpaid to local medical care providers and a local bank."
quoted from the above article. Interesting.... seems to be a lot of that going around.

For those of us wondering about reports that MH has two children, the above article says that Johnny only had one child with MH.
"Huckaby was once married to and had a child with Johnny Huckaby, who lived in Topeka for several years but may not have been a native Topekan. Their daughter wasn’t the child Melissa Huckaby is suspected of killing."

(bold above by me)

I had begun to respond to this post by saying that I disagree, and I suppose that I still do, but not perhaps for the reasons one would expect.

As the details and history of this tragedy unfold it becomes more and more apparent to me that MH is a very ill individual. We now have evidence suggesting that her suicidal ideation goes back to childhood. (WS poster who was childhood companion, see earlier in this thread.) The arrest history and LE and media statements lend support to this image of true mental instability.

I hope I will be forgiven for seeming to perpetuate cultural stereotypes, but I feel that her background of a religious and likely fundamentalist family structure suggests (in my mind at least) that there is a great possibility that these problems have been suppressed and minimized for years. Regardless of the cause, suppression equals exacerbation. Her illness has been fermenting over these years.

I'm not going to indulge in a dreary diversion into the subject of legal versus medical concepts of mental illness, how valid either may be, or whether or not MH was 'in her right mind', 'capable of knowing right from wrong', or any other such distractions.

The woman is clearly very sick.

I'm uncertain if we can truly consider her to be "lying" at any given time. I'm going to complicate this by saying that it doesn't really matter whether she "knows" that she is telling the "truth" or not. None of these concepts are useful in this context.

So I question whether or not she can be considered a KC "clone". Sociopathy is a label that is tossed around with great abandon, and misused nearly as much. Most fundamentally it is a condition describing people who, in their ability to empathize with and consider the needs and welfare of others 'are not like us'. It is not necessarily a criminal or even socially debilitating condition. It has already begun to be applied to MH. I don't believe (yet) that this is appropriate.

I have mostly thought of KC as an example of a sociopath whose inability to constrain herself to socially acceptable behavior led to her downfall and the utterly pointless death of a beautiful child. At this time I see this final tragic ending as the only similarity between the two women. Perhaps I will change my beliefs as our knowledge of the facts progresses, but I think that it is premature to go beyond that now.

Fortytwo, I just wanted to say thanks for such a beautifully written, highly insightful post.

That is an interesting theory. Does anyone recall a Munchausen case that involved the child of someone else? I know there have been nurses who seemed to have Munchausen because they would harm patients in their care, and then be perceived as a hero for "finding them" just in time. Many of these cases came to light because a few of the victims actually died. I don't recall a case of Munchausen by "neighbors", however. Anyone else?

Not by neighbors but that may be because they have have had enough victims with their own kids. I do know that a few have harmed their adoptive or foster kids. Further, they often make up stories in which they are the victim or the hero. They like attention and are excited by tragedy. I can easily see one of these nuts killing a kid and then putting themselves in the case somehow, for attention.

I had not heard that MH's child was on vac. Could be they didn't want the child questioned, knew things etc., and got her out of town. Interesting.

"Planned vacation" sounds like something that was in the works before this whole thing happened though, IDK. But I can see why plans or no they would want to get that child out of town. I hope that the family gives her everything she needs... I can't even imagine what they are going through!

Since MH did this to a 7-8 year old child, wonder what was happening to her at that age. If she has had suicidal thoughts since around that age, maybe that is why she chose a child that age. Of course, we don't know if she has done similar things to another child in past and what age they were. Is there a way to get history on who she was living with a child, mom, dad, grandparents?

I don't think anyone I know would know that. They just casually knew her from high school. I bet Emmabella would know since they were best friends in high school. I hope she continues to post so we can ask.

Looks like Amanda has another child (with or without Johnny?) This link has a could pictures: http://www.peekyou.com/Amanda_Mays/586676

I am not sure that is the same Amanda Mays Huckaby because she is using her maiden name, and she doesn't have Johnny listed as a relative. It can sometimes be amazing how many people have the same names. I also don't think MH's ex-husband is in anyway involved with this case. It will be interesting to hear his perspective on it, but I bet he is going to be just as surprised as everyone else seems to be.

The info regarding MH's suicidal ideation comes from Emmabella, a high school friend of MH's who was on WS last night. Emmabella found some notes that MH had written her in, one of which describes suicidal ideation. In post number 172 in this thread, Emmabella wrote:
Here are some quotes from the letter dated 5/20/99:

"All I know is that I've also come up with another solution that would solve all my problems and I have seriously been thinking about it.... I have been thinking about this for a very long time and I'm very serious about it."

"When I was little, like sixth grade I used to pray every night that I wouldn't wake up in the morning. I just wasn't meant to live I guess. No on wants me or even cares if I live or not and I'm just in the way anyways."

Haunting.

The part about MH's daughter being this is from this:
Huckaby lives with her grandparents because she suffers from severe allergies and wanted relatives' help to be able to have more time "to take better care of her daughter, who is super-thin and gets sick a lot," Browning said. She was named "class mother" of her daughter's preschool, friends said.
from this article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/12/MNJQ17163H.DTL&tsp=1

Regarding the survivors that you mentioned, I know the church that you are talking about. A representative of that organization posted the church they are speaking of is not the one led by Pastor Lawless, MH's grandfather. I'm sorry, I can't find that post though.

Thank you so much! I wasn't caught up on the thread but didn't realize how far behind I was. Thanks for the update.

Wow, after reading the thread, Melissa sounds like a sociopath and a whole lot like Casey. Claims of being depressed, claims of being somewhat of a victim (I'm just in the way), crimes, stealing, and maybe very inhumane feeling towards her own child. She may truly have been depressed or mental, but I'm now thinking that Melissa may have been trying to get rid of little girls who were beginning to influence her daughter into wanting to go outside to play or to go to other kids homes. I don't believe she was trying to make them ill as in Munchausen's, but to get rid of them from their lives. The one little drugged girl must have still been ill in the middle of the night after the trip to the park and Sandra didn't even live. All Melissa got from that was suspicion, police questioning, blame, and finally charged with murder.

I am not sure that is the same Amanda Mays Huckaby because she is using her maiden name, and she doesn't have Johnny listed as a relative. It can sometimes be amazing how many people have the same names. I also don't think MH's ex-husband is in anyway involved with this case. It will be interesting to hear his perspective on it, but I bet he is going to be just as surprised as everyone else seems to be.

Reannan- I don't think the pics look a whole lot alike either but I do think it's the same person because both the myspace profile for Amanda Huckaby and the Peek You info for Amanda C. Mays have the same user name being amanda031880. I searched the user name from the myspace profile and up popped the Peek You info with Amanda Mays name.

Edit: To add that I don't believe she is directly involved either. But I think it could be possible that Melissa could have had jealousy toward Johnny's new wife...especially if they might have a child together. Leading to rage against children? Far fetched but who knows!

Just back from a day away with family and catching up. Looks like I have some interesting reading ahead. Something I caught in several articles that I just wanted to throw out there, Sheneman stated that Melissa spent an extrordinary amount of time at the church. I wonder why and what he meant by that statement?

Back to catching up.......

I find it interesting that MH's mother and her 5-year-old daughter were scheduled to go on a planned vacation since the day after Sandra went missing. I wonder if that factored into Sandra's death? Was MH angry that her own mother was taking her 5-year old daughter on a trip and somehow felt neglected and left out - much as she did when she was 6 years old?

"Huckaby's father, Brian Lawless, said he was at a preacher's conference in Salinas when he heard news of his daughter's arrest. He informed his wife, Judy, who has been on a planned vacation in Northern California with Huckaby's 5-year-old daughter, Ma****n, since the day after Sandra went missing."

http://www.mercurynews.com/topstories/ci_12128530
Maybe. It would back up what I recall hearing that her child was not home the day Sandra went missing, too. If she was picked up the same day Sandra went missing to go on vacation with her grandmother...it would make sense. Perhaps she went to spend the night with her so they could leave early the next morning.

This would mean the entire story about Sandra's sister babysitting her daughter was a lie. I have also heard that Connie was not at home either so she could not have made the phone call about the cell phone. I would like to get confirmation on both of those things.

Just back from a day away with family and catching up. Looks like I have some interesting reading ahead. Something I caught in several articles that I just wanted to throw out there, Sheneman stated that Melissa spent an extrordinary amount of time at the church. I wonder why and what he meant by that statement?

Back to catching up.......
Maybe the reason for the bed being there was because she was staying nights at the church?

From this article, it looks like MH was working hard to get child support out of the father of her 5 year old. Had we heard about any ties MH might have had to Topkea?

"A Topeka man may be able to provide some answers for law enforcement investigating the California woman who was arrested Saturday for allegedly killing an 8-year-old girl and stuffing her into a suitcase."

http://www.cjonline.com/news/2009-04-12/accused_calif_mom_has_area_ties
Thanks! I have already started out checking in Arkansas and Oklahoma for Johnny and his wife. No luck yet.

The info regarding MH's suicidal ideation comes from Emmabella, a high school friend of MH's who was on WS last night. Emmabella found some notes that MH had written her in, one of which describes suicidal ideation. In post number 172 in this thread, Emmabella wrote:
Here are some quotes from the letter dated 5/20/99:

"All I know is that I've also come up with another solution that would solve all my problems and I have seriously been thinking about it.... I have been thinking about this for a very long time and I'm very serious about it."

"When I was little, like sixth grade I used to pray every night that I wouldn't wake up in the morning. I just wasn't meant to live I guess. No on wants me or even cares if I live or not and I'm just in the way anyways."

Haunting.

The part about MH's daughter being this is from this:
Huckaby lives with her grandparents because she suffers from severe allergies and wanted relatives' help to be able to have more time "to take better care of her daughter, who is super-thin and gets sick a lot," Browning said. She was named "class mother" of her daughter's preschool, friends said.
from this article: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/12/MNJQ17163H.DTL&tsp=1

Regarding the survivors that you mentioned, I know the church that you are talking about. A representative of that organization posted the church they are speaking of is not the one led by Pastor Lawless, MH's grandfather. I'm sorry, I can't find that post though.

I'll bet the preschool and classmates' Moms are worried and upset because Melissa most likely took cupcakes and no telling what to the school for parties and treats. Probably for sunday school or GA's at church, too. How scary. I wonder if she ever tried to arrange any playdates with the other little girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419