Japan: 9.0 Earthquake-Tsunami-Nuclear Reactor Status #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Air Force officials confirmed Thursday that a plane stationed at Bellevue's Offutt Air Force Base is playing a big role in keeping an eye on the disaster in Japan.
Officials said a WC-135 Constant Phoenix aircraft from Offutt is monitoring the radiation coming from the breached nuclear reactors that were damaged during last weekend's earthquake.

http://www.ketv.com/r/27227394/detail.html

Kinuyo Kojima, is a 65-year-old woman whose house washed away in the tsunami, she is currently sheltering in a high-school gym with other survivors.
"We live like animals." The stench of backed-up toilets has made some retch, and they complain of constipation from the diet of rice and little or nothing else.
"You should have seen us when we got a piece of chicken yesterday," Kojima said. "We were so excited over a tiny piece of meat. It had been so long."

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/world/magnit...an/story-e6frfkyi-1226019903430#ixzz1GsXrG959

this morning i watched a video of the parents of missing american ta and they had just received news that she'd been found in a shelter just before the interview....i was happy for them.....then i just read that it was false info and she still missing.....so sad.

what a horrible feeling her parents must have.

State dept says there were near 1300 americans working in japan. I'm suprised we haven't seen more stories about they're whereabouts.

Americans face search effort snags in Japan
False report doesn't deter Va. family told 24-year-old teacher found; Expert: Misinformation typical in "fog of disaster"

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/03/17/earlyshow/living/parenting/main20044181.shtml

uk evening update: ((not good!))

The UK and the US are to pull government search and rescue teams out of Japan tomorrow. Some reports suggested it was due to the levels of radiation reported in the country.

• Attempts to cool down a stricken reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant in Japan have suffered a further setback. Radiation levels rose instead of falling after attempts to douse it with high-pressure hoses. Six fire engines and a police water cannon were sent in on Thursday evening to spray the plant's No 3 reactor. But afterwards radiation emissions rose from 3,700 microsieverts per hour to 4,000 per hour, the Kyodo news agency quoted Tokyo Electric Power (Tepco) as saying.

• Some 850,000 households in the north of Japan are without electricity in near-freezing weather. The death toll from the earthquake and tsunami is expected to exceed 10,000. Water supplies are disrupted in the worst hit areas, and food and fuel is struggling to reach the disaster zone.

• A power cable has been reconnected to the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant, according to Tokyo Electric Power Company. It is unclear if the plant has electricity yet, however, with Tepco saying more work is needed "to restore electricity equipment" tomorrow.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog/2011/mar/17/japan-nuclear-crisis-tsunami-aftermath

talk to me like a sheeple.... but I know with my two advanced degrees that if you have something plugged into a cord and it is not working something is wrong!

I'm not really overally concerned about the short term effects,like a big cloud floating over the US,but as some others have said,what about the long term effects,food,marine life? Nobody seems to want to go there.
There was a man on Fox this morning who said there was some kind of nuclear accident in 1957 in Russia. The land for 800 sq miles was contaminated. I believe it was only one reactor. So the question was asked,what about this plant with 4? He really had no answer.
Does anyone have any clue what the long term implications on the entire world are if this thing blows? Or does it blow? What exactly happens? Nobody seems to be answering that either.

As for the radiation disappating as it crosses the Pacific,where does it go? If nuclear waste is so hard to get rid of,it must be falling somewhere?!!
I rmember when I was a little kid,my parents told us not to eat the snow because it had radiation in it. Not sure why,it was early 60's. Maybe they thought it was leftover from the Bomb.

So many questions,no answers.

I'm not really overally concerned about the short term effects,like a big cloud floating over the US,but as some others have said,what about the long term effects,food,marine life? Nobody seems to want to go there.
There was a man on Fox this morning who said there was some kind of nuclear accident in 1957 in Russia. The land for 800 sq miles was contaminated. I believe it was only one reactor. So the question was asked,what about this plant with 4? He really had no answer.
Does anyone have any clue what the long term implications on the entire world are if this thing blows? Or does it blow? What exactly happens? Nobody seems to be answering that either.

As for the radiation disappating as it crosses the Pacific,where does it go? If nuclear waste is so hard to get rid of,it must be falling somewhere?!!
I rmember when I was a little kid,my parents told us not to eat the snow because it had radiation in it. Not sure why,it was early 60's. Maybe they thought it was leftover from the Bomb.

So many questions,no answers.

What about seafood? That's one of my big concerns. I hate the thought of dead marine life washing ashore.

That's my thought. Even if the West Coast doesn't receive a plume, the radiation has to land somewhere. How will this affect our eco-system? I don't worry too much about imported food (as we don't import as much as we export).

IMHO, this event will have an impact on the US economy regardless, not to mention our eco-system.

MOOOOOO

Mel

article-1366670-0B36EB5300000578-747_964x1025.jpg

Does anyone know how the size/amount of radioactive material of Fukashima is compared to Chernobyl? If the worst case scenatio happens,will this be worse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa