CANADA Canada - Bowmanville, Ont, Black/S. AsianFem 18-30, 90UFON, near freeway, Oct'06

Everything looks different when looking from high above. Judging from one of the articles, her remains were not easy to be found:

A man harvesting dogwood plants called police on his cellphone when he stumbled across a skull in a boggy field at Holt Rd. and the South Service Rd., just off the eastbound 401 exit near Bowmanville, on Oct. 27, 2006.

Forensic officers cleared tall grass and weeds for weeks and were only able to find the skull which had two missing teeth, a few other bones, a wristwatch and a piece of red ribbon.

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/article/891964--who-is-this-woman?bn=1#article

<bbm in red>

Don't know precisely where our Darlington Doe was found in relation to this, but ... if you do a Google Streetview of that intersection, on what I believe is the southeast corner where ITER was to be situated, there is a large white billboard that says "Ontario Power Generation ..." (formerly Ontario Hydro).

The Toronto Star Nov 17 2010 article says "The uniquely large size 9½ ring is a garnet with two one-point diamonds on either side, and is believed to have been sold by Burns Jewelers, a family-run business on Simcoe St. in Oshawa from 1923 to 1994. It had been made by A&A Manufacturing in Toronto.
Nash calls the ring “unique” for its large size and he believes it will be the “key piece of evidence” in the case as it is distinctive and shows enough wear that the woman kept it on her finger more than in a jewellery box."

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/article/891964--police-hope-new-discovery-helps-solve-cold-case

Garnet is the birthstone for January.

<bbm in red>

Don't know precisely where our Darlington Doe was found in relation to this, but ... if you do a Google Streetview of that intersection, on what I believe is the southeast corner where ITER was to be situated, there is a large white billboard that says "Ontario Power Generation ..." (formerly Ontario Hydro).
<bbm>

Sorry for quoting myself, but I was wrong in my above statement and too late to edit. I get lost on Streeview at times.

The sign I referred to above is actually on the southwest corner of Holt and the South Service Road, whereas the victim was located on the southeast corner as per Hazel's post:

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CANADA Canada - Durham - WhtFem - Skeletal Remains Near Darlington nuclear station - Oct'06

Just thinking that narrow cowpath type of slip-road that runs in a northeasterly direction off Holt might be known as a Lovers' Lane.

What if the ring/shirt weren't hers? What if it/they were the intended gift? Gift giver gives items that are used, outdated and too big, perhaps that had personal meaning (family ring?). Giver maybe gets laughed at, and feels embarrassed enough to turn violent?

I wonder if the ring has ever been reported stolen. If it was February when body was dumped, was there enough snow to lose the ring and not be able find it, and that's why it got left.

Just thinking outloud.

just to clarify :)

Please keep in mind that Valentines Day was just speculation on my part, based on the red heart and red ribbon found at the site. LE hasn't mentioned anything regarding February nor Valentines Day. She could have gone missing any other month, so please consider all possibilities. Thanks!

Police hope face reconstruction solves Ont. cold case

The victim was a Caucasian female between 18 and 30 years old whose body could have been in the field for two to 10 years before it was found near the Darlington nuclear power plant and Highway 401.

<snip>

a women's size 9.5 gold ring, a multi-coloured shirt and a watch. The custom-made garnet ring was sold at an Oshawa jewelry store in the 1980s. Police believe Consumers Distributing was the exclusive seller of the digital watch found near the remains.

Newly released sketch and dentals at link.

http://toronto.ctv.ca/story/th/20110307/forensic-artist-cold-case-drawing-110307/

Her doenetwork page
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/90ufon.html

On the other thread for this Doe, I expressed my opinion that she might be Linda Sohus. But now I'm not so sure, the stated timeframes seem a little too recent for it to be Linda? Previously they were considering "everything from 1979 right up to 2006" But decomposition on boggy ground can be a bit odd, I guess all the bog bodies in Europe are proof of that.

Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - CANADA Canada - Durham - WhtFem - Skeletal Remains Near Darlington nuclear station - Oct'06

I wish her teeth were shown more clearly in those photos.

New article detailing how UID's are handled .Will also post in B.S thread.
http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/a...discovery-all-yield-clues-in-identifying-body
Unidentified remains

About 12 cases of unidentified human remains have been found in Toronto since 2005.
There are 1,400 missing persons in the province. (In Canada, 7,200)
There are about 200 unidentified human remains in the province in an OPP database. (In Canada, about 600)
Of the 200, 41 unidentified males and two unidentified females were found in Toronto.
The oldest case of an unidentified body (male) in the OPP database was located Dec. 15th, 1956 in a wooded area outside the North Bay city limits.
In Toronto&#8217;s morgue, there are 128 sets of remains. This includes skeletal remains. Some date back to the 1960s.

I do not think this missing girl has been suggested yet, this one caught my eye because she went missing on Valentine's day and had a gap in her slightly protuding teeth....
http://s13.invisionfree.com/PorchlightCanada/ar/t232.htm
Darlene Tucker was a 16-year-old high school student when she ran away from her Oakville home on Valentine's Day in 1983 after becoming upset with rules imposed by her mother. Her disappearance turned from a routine runaway case into a mystery when the young girl did not collect thousands of dollars left in trust until her 18th birthday. The last anyone heard from her was a month after she left home, when several calls were billed from a telephone booth in the Huntsville area to her mother's phone.
Six months after Tucker vanished another 16-year-old student, Jan Stonehouse, ran away. Because the pair were friends, investigators were convinced the disappearances were linked.
Darlene has never been seen again.

This is Jan, Darlene's friend , who also went missing about 6 months later ...
http://www.hrps.on.ca/CrimeFiles/Lists/MissingPersons/DispForm.aspx?ID=9
STONEHOUSE left from her house in Oakville and has not been seen since that time. She may have left home due to being pregnant.
Medium
Place Last Seen: Oakville, ON Height: 163 cm (5.3 ft)
Age (At Time of Disappearance): 16 yrs. Weight: 50 kg (110.0 lbs)
Date of Birth: September 23, 1966 Eye Colour: Green

http://www.danforthdiamond.com/guess-a-ring-size
"But just WHAT is the average size ring for a woman you ask? According to statistics, the average American woman is 5'4" tall and weighs 140 pounds. Using this statistic, you may be able to make a good guess on your girlfriend's finger size. Does she have a small, average or large frame? How much does she weigh? (Don't ask her weight if you don't know it...this could be dangerous if asked at the wrong time!). But do take notice of her frame, her weight and her hands. Also notice if she has large knuckles as well. Her fingers may be slender, but if her knuckles are large, she may need a larger diamond engagement ring to fit over the knuckle.

More than likely, if she is small-framed with slender fingers and weighs under 120 pounds, her finger size could range from a 4 to a 5. If she is larger-framed with thicker fingers and weighs over 150, a good guess may be in the 7-9 range"

I am still wondering about the large size of the ring..

That's why I keep thinking Linda Sohus. We know she was a big boned and well fleshed woman and there is a grainy and indistinct photo of her wearing a ring on her right index finger... which on a right handed person is going to be the largest or second largest finger Maybe two to three sizes larger than the left ring finger? The ring I wear on my left ring finger won't even pass the knuckle of my right index finger.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/s/sohus_linda.html

the photo of her with a rings is at

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/mystery/ci_10110450

My opinion only, but I think the strength of the smell from the guesthouse in the Sohus case indicates quite strongly that a body (or two bodies) was left in the guesthouse and Chichester was absent in the couple of weeks immediately after the death and unable to do anything to reduce the stink. What is probably Jonathon's body has been found reasonably close to the guesthouse so the balance of probability would be that Jonathon's body was in that guesthouse. Linda's body has not been found so the balance of probability would be that she was disposed of elsewhere, during the period of time in which Johnathon's body decomposed. Nobody who has any choice drives a decomposing body around in their car for long, and Chichester would have to have been absent long enough for the body in the guesthouse to really stink, so the balance of probability is that Linda was alive and left with him, and stayed alive for at least a few days. Their friends seem to think Chichester was infatuated with Linda, and we know that he has a pattern of self important grandiosity and kidnapping.

I have no problem with the Sohus's being from California while the ring is from Canada. Young science fiction fans who have money for travel will drive or fly all over to get to science fiction conventions, and often buy things during their travels. This was the case in the eighties too, I have many friends who happily drove from Adelaide to Melbourne or Sydney several times a year for fan conventions. Likewise I've got no issue with the Doe being in Canada. Whatever reason Chichester may have given to get Linda out the house may have been intended to take her as far away from there as possible, in hopes that any problems could be dealt with during their journey home.

I really would like to find people who knew Linda Sohus in the three or four years prior to her disappearance to look at a picture of that ring and tell me whether it looks like any ring they'd seen her wear. Particularly I would be interested in her female friends getting the chance to ID the ring.

That's why I keep thinking Linda Sohus. We know she was a big boned and well fleshed woman and there is a grainy and indistinct photo of her wearing a ring on her right index finger... which on a right handed person is going to be the largest or second largest finger Maybe two to three sizes larger than the left ring finger? The ring I wear on my left ring finger won't even pass the knuckle of my right index finger.

I really would like to find people who knew Linda Sohus in the three or four years prior to her disappearance to look at a picture of that ring and tell me whether it looks like any ring they'd seen her wear. Particularly I would be interested in her female friends getting the chance to ID the ring.

RSBM...

You might be on to something... have you submitted it to the OPP? They seem pretty open to all submissions.

If it is Linda, I'm not sure how she would have ended up here... but stranger things have happened.

That's a really old school watch...

I wonder if the heart and ribbon have something in common. That ribbon is usually used for wrapping gifts or tying to a balloon. That heart could have been a detail on paper wrapping maybe? I would think paper would have disintegrated. It does look extremely small so maybe it was part of a card? It has a silver baking to it you can tell, which would make it more sparkly. It looks too fragile to be part of clothing IMO so I think it has something to do with a gift or gift wrap.

This missing girl, Kimberly Anne Mcandrew, was last seen buying a balloon and flowers and has a scar at the bridge of nose..
http://z13.invisionfree.com/PorchlightCanada/index.php?showtopic=81

This missing girl, Kimberly Anne Mcandrew, was last seen buying a balloon and flowers and has a scar at the bridge of nose..
http://z13.invisionfree.com/PorchlightCanada/index.php?showtopic=81

Good spotting on the "gifts" and nose....but I don't think this case would be her. According to the link you posted, Kimberly was due to get her braces off three days after she disappeared. So, she would have had braces on and her teeth would have been pretty straight.

This Jane Doe:
* Dentals: Available. Nice teeth with visible white fillings on her front teeth, one front tooth appears slightly wider than the other, smallish silver fillings in some back teeth. Her upper and lower jaws are described as narrow. She also had prominent upper and lower teeth that protruded. Her upper teeth protruded more than her lower teeth.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back