GUILTY OH - Two women & child killed, 13yo abducted, Apple Valley, 10 Nov 2010 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Respectfully, there are any number of scenarios to explain this.

He could have committed the murders with just a weapon (even a knife he found in the home is possible), and made several trips to pick up additional supplies. He could have used either women's vehicles if he didn't have his.

Does anyone have that aerial photo of Tina's house? Was there somewhere he could have parked his own car where it wouldn't be seen from the road?

He could have initially parked his car in the garage before SS got there and switched them later.

If the keys were in the house for the unidentified truck parked in the driveway, he could have used that.

In other words, once there was no one to resist, he may have had his choice of three vehicles besides his own.

I wish we knew the date on the WalMart receipt. It's possible that he killed the two women and hid them in the house. When the kids arrived home, he restrained and gagged Sarah, killed Kody, then drove to WalMart for the garbage bags and tarp. Then he returned to remove them and take Sarah to his house.

Does anyone know whether it was an especially overcast day on Wednesday? If it wasn't, there would be no need to have the lights on in the house. So, if the lights were on when VH drove by, that would indicate that MH was still in the house after sundown. It would be a safe bet that only Sarah was still alive by that time. MH had at least all of Wednesday, the whole night and even part of Thursday to go back and forth to that house before the DQ manager actually entered the house.

And then there is the unexplained presence of TH's vehicle parked across from the campus on Thursday. Can't figure that one out. I wonder if it was examined to be mechanically sound. Could it have broken down or run out of gas there? (I'm also mystified why the media calls an SUV a pickup truck over and over again.)

I'm also not discounting that MH met up with SS and they went to the house together in her truck.

JMO
Great post, but I disagree that "lights on" meant that MH was in the house. Lots of people leave lights on when they're not home (or forget to turn them off). He was ultra busy, obviously, but with all the beer cans left...he might have not been 100%.

I wonder if LE asked the neighbors if the lites were on all nite Wed. and Thurs.?

I'm wishing that Tina's manager had gone to the neighbors on Wed., but of course, seeing the lites on and Tina's truck, she assumed all was OK. She was incredibly brave to go in the back window on Thurs. She must have lucked out and MH was off doing some incredibly nefarious deed.

The stars were against most of them, sadly. :(

I feel so badly for everyone, family and friends, and Sarah especially. So much unnecessary guilt that many will be feeling.

They are SO blessed to have such a loving and caring community.

Heck, I might have to move there now, LOL. ;)

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/missing-ohio-womans-dad-speaks-12158998

This was the basis for my statements earlier that SS believed she was being stalked.
GMA interviews SS father, with him saying that friends of Stephanie's have said that she felt as if she was being watched or stalked. He also mentions that the family/friends do not recognize MH as an acquaintance of SS, never heard of him, nor knew of his existence prior to a few days ago.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/video/missing-ohio-womans-dad-speaks-12158998

This was the basis for my statements earlier that SS believed she was being stalked.
GMA interviews SS father, with him saying that friends of Stephanie's have said that she felt as if she was being watched or stalked. He also mentions that the family/friends do not recognize MH as an acquaintance of SS, never heard of him, nor knew of his existence prior to a few days ago.

I read (no link right now, sorry) that Tina and Stephanie were very good friends and spent a lot of time together. Maybe he was actually stalking/watching Tina/her family and SS was with her and picked up on it?

Descriptions of him "watching" and "listening" to the neighbors sound so creepy...ugh

BBM and red too.

I tried to find an article that talked about Hoffman telling his mom anything about Sarah ... no luck.

<modsnip>

I haven't found any articles either, but it makes sense to me that MH's mother - who was practically a neighbor to Sarah and her family, would have contacted her son and discussed the case. What an interesting conversation that would have been. I applaud his Mom if she participated in the rescue of Sarah and MH's arrest!!!

I haven't found any articles either, but it makes sense to me that MH's mother - who was practically a neighbor to Sarah and her family, would have contacted her son and discussed the case. What an interesting conversation that would have been. I applaud his Mom if she participated in the rescue of Sarah and MH's arrest!!!
I don't have the links handy, sorry.

But after MH was arrested, his mother was quoted as saying that she hopes that he will put her on his visitor list (at the time, he had not done so). A few days went by and then voila! Many, many posters had speculated and hoped that she (or ex-g/f) could visit him and influence him to tell where they were.

MH's mother had already said she did not know Tina and Stephanie.

I don't have the links handy, sorry.

But after MH was arrested, his mother was quoted as saying that she hopes that he will put her on his visitor list (at the time, he had not done so). A few days went by and then voila! Many, many posters had speculated and hoped that she (or ex-g/f) could visit him and influence him to tell where they were.

MH's mother had already said she did not know Tina and Stephanie.

Hoffman's mother told 10TV News on Thursday that she visited her son in jail for the first time on Wednesday night, and that the visit may have played a part in his decision to reveal the location of the bodies.
She said that her son told her that he was "relieved" when authorities raided his home because "Sarah would be able to go home."
http://www.10tv.com/live/content/lo...n-knox-county-missing-found-tree.html?sid=102

BBM and red too.

I tried to find an article that talked about Hoffman telling his mom anything about Sarah ... no luck.

<modsnip>

Hoffman's mother told 10TV News on Thursday that she visited her son in jail for the first time on Wednesday night, and that the visit may have played a part in his decision to reveal the location of the bodies.
She said that her son told her that he was "relieved" when authorities raided his home because "Sarah would be able to go home."

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/lo...n-knox-county-missing-found-tree.html?sid=102

Yes!
I remember watching an interview with Jeffery Dahmer. I really felt, with just the few minutes I watched that he was being as honest as he knew how to be. I felt we could have learned more if he hadn't been beaten to death. I think the more we know about these very disturbed individuals, the more we know in perhaps stopping things before they get to the tragic point they seem to.

I think, too, that once recognized, lets say we see these traints of psychopathic behavior in a child, what do we do? What if this fellow had been recognized earlier as this disturbed, would there be able to have been some action taken.

I have a friend right now who is 'working with' a child who is violent, has hurt animals, and is in my opinion, is at the age of 8, a scary person who needs to have something done. He see's a therapist, a psychiatrist, and is being 'monitored'. But what do we really know about this sort of thing? If there is any way of gaining more knowledge to change this course, it would only be for the better, I think.

Great Post :) that is close to the age of my son who shows the same traits, plus my son is obsessed with death and fire. No one seems alarmed, he's been in residential treatment, on so many medications, sees a therapist twice sometimes 3 times a week etc etc.. I love my child with all my heart, but I'm half temped to look into the legalities of having his dna stored while he's still a minor and I have that legal right. I'm not blind to the signs. His therapist and psychiatrist laughed when I told them about the dna thing. But i'm not kidding.

Forgive me if someone has already posted this link..

It is the most detailed into what MH was and descended into in recent months..
Informative and sad...

http://www.mountvernonnews.com/local/10/11/16/neighbors-hoffman-eccentric-troubled

from the article also...............

“His two dogs disappeared,” said Donna. “I believe in my heart that he killed those dogs,” she said tearfully, explaining that Hoffman’s explanations for what happened to the dogs while his girlfriend was out of town did not make sense

Great Post :) that is close to the age of my son who shows the same traits, plus my son is obsessed with death and fire. No one seems alarmed, he's been in residential treatment, on so many medications, sees a therapist twice sometimes 3 times a week etc etc.. I love my child with all my heart, but I'm half temped to look into the legalities of having his dna stored while he's still a minor and I have that legal right. I'm not blind to the signs. His therapist and psychiatrist laughed when I told them about the dna thing. But i'm not kidding.

Oh Peeples..... ((((Peeples)))) hugs to you, and I am SO sorry for what you are going through with your son!! Hang tight my friend, and know that you can at least talk to us about it. :blowkiss:

Yeah, I'm not buying that.....remember that's what KC said to.......

Bless your heart, do what is right, you are the mom.
You want DNA to be saved then do it.
One day it may be able to save him from his own genes.
Medicine is doing so much!
I'd change docs that laugh.........all his docs should be serious about
your sons health.

I hope Sarah is close to her dad...and am sad that she can't even have the comfort of the family pet at this tragic time...

I can't remember too many killers who also killed a pet in such a way, so as to remove it to a remote locale with the victims. Generally, if an animal is killed, it is just to get past a barking, threatening dog. This guy is a special kind of sick freak, IMO.

What a waste of SO time/resources. Hope it didn't really happen.

Yes, it happened according to this article (about 1/2 way down):

http://knoxpages.com/?NewsID=8187&CatID=1

ETA:
"A Centerburg man, upset by news of the slayings, called 9-1-1 to report that he had slapped his wife during an argument.

When a Knox County sheriff&#8217;s deputy arrived to investigate, Donald Lamb allegedly confessed that he never struck his wife but wanted to get himself put in jail.

Lamb asked that he be put in the same cell as Matthew Hoffman.

Hoffman, 30, is the prime suspect in the slayings and is currently jailed on a charge of kidnapping Sarah Maynard. He has been segregated from other inmates on a suicide watch.

Lamb, 50, was jailed on a first-degree misdemeanor count of using 9-1-1 to report a false crime. He posted $2,500 bail and pleaded not guilty this morning in Mount Vernon Municipal Court.

Assistant Mount Vernon City Prosecutor Robert Broeren recognizes that there are strong emotions surrounding the case against Hoffman, but said using 9-1-1 or any other emergency system as an act of personal vengeance is intolerable.

&#8220;He (Lamb) used a call that he knew was false to bring an officer there just so that he could possibly go and attempt to get his own form of justice against Mr. Hoffman for what he believes Mr. Hoffman may have done, but for which Mr. Hoffman has not yet been convicted,&#8221; said Broeren.

The case will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

&#8220;We need to make it clear that you cannot use these systems, the 9-1-1 or any other emergency system to exact your own personal vengeance,&#8221; he said. &#8220;If Mr. Lamb chooses not to change his plea, we will try this case to its ultimate conclusion.&#8221;

This is a small town that is reeling in the wake of a tragedy that almost all of us only read about from very far away. The entire town is going to need help coping with this.

Hi All!

I've been gone all day taking my husband to his pre-op cancer dr. I just got in and saw nancy mentioned he put the up there with a harness? Any updates are more than welcome...(please!) lol What did I miss?

((((hugs to you)))) What kind of cancer? Went through that with DH almost exactly 7 years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53