Match! TX - Houston, WhtFem UP4601, 15-20, Red Hair & Freckles, Jul'82 - Michelle Garvey

It bothers me that she's listed as having dark brown hair, when it's clearly a dark reddish colour. I see these types of discrepancies a lot. It makes me feel like those who are in charge of these things are sometimes sloppy with their work.

For those who suspect she's older than 15-20, bear in mind that her appearance has already altered a little bit in that photograph because she was dead. When she was alive her eyes would have been bigger and therefore she would have looked younger.

Identifying marks: Suture scar on right foot (right side of the front part of the heel), freckles on face, severe nail biter, unerupted wisdom teeth

Also, a "100 Decker Drive" doesn't exist in Baytown, Tx. There is a 1000 Decker Drive, but the recovery location is listed as follows: 100 Decker Rd (I-10E at Crosby Lynchburg Rd). The crossroads they list would be the 7000 block of Decker Dr.

Based on Annemc post, this is a google map of the location where this young girl would have been located. (I-10E at Crosby Lynchburg Rd); Decker Dr & Crosby Lynchburg Rd, Baytown, Harris, Texas 77520: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=I-10E+at+Crosby+Lynchburg+Rd+Houston,+TX&ie=UTF-8&ei=X3x2Upi_A4HKsQS2gIGgBQ&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAg

Here's an historical aerial interactive map showing 100 Decker Baytown, TX. Not the best graphics, but wanted to share a sense of what that area looked like back in the 1980s - this is for 1981.
http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?scale=3&lon=-95.05253461683617&lat=29.79232960557802&year=1981

It bothers me that she's listed as having dark brown hair, when it's clearly a dark reddish colour. I see these types of discrepancies a lot. It makes me feel like those who are in charge of these things are sometimes sloppy with their work.

For those who suspect she's older than 15-20, bear in mind that her appearance has already altered a little bit in that photograph because she was dead. When she was alive her eyes would have been bigger and therefore she would have looked younger.

Agree; her hair appears to be naturally curly and dark red.

Maybe this young girl?

http://www.nampn.org/cases/barnhill_donna.html

I know it says hair color brown.....but looking at her pics.....it sure looks RED to me.....

Or maybe this young lady?

http://www.nampn.org/cases/booth_kristy.html

This third young lady looks blonde in her pics......but her description says her hair color is Auburn.

http://www.nampn.org/cases/kahler_kimberly.html

This one maybe a little to old......
http://www.nampn.org/cases/scherer_cheryl.html

She is described as petite..and measured at 62 inches. So I'm thinking that anyone taller than say 64 inches (keeping in min that some of us do round up on height on our DL; and at the same time tend to round down on weight :blushing:) will probably not be a good possible.

She is described as petite..and measured at 62 inches. So I'm thinking that anyone taller than say 64 inches (keeping in min that some of us do round up on height on our DL; and at the same time tend to round down on weight :blushing:) will probably not be a good possible.

Yeah, when I try to look someone up, I usually leave a gap of two inches-ish on either side. Though mind you, the woman known in life as Lori Kennedy-Ruff, who has her very own subpage on this forum, her 1988 Idaho ID lists her as 5'6'', while all her later driver licenses lists her as 5'11''. She was definitely beyond growing age, so we can only assume that Idaho didn't feel that strongly about height. I am just saying, strange errors do happen.

Yeah, when I try to look someone up, I usually leave a gap of two inches-ish on either side. Though mind you, the woman known in life as Lori Kennedy-Ruff, who has her very own subpage on this forum, her 1988 Idaho ID lists her as 5'6'', while all her later driver licenses lists her as 5'11''. She was definitely beyond growing age, so we can only assume that Idaho didn't feel that strongly about height. I am just saying, strange errors do happen.

This is true, you never know when a "Lori Kennedy-Ruff" will come along and intentionally misrepresent herself -- with God only knows what intent. But, with this Jane Doe, she was measured within hours of her death by the coroner, so her height should be pretty close at 62 inches. The missing girls, may have rounded up or have grown (depending on age), but if they are already 68 inches or taller, they are outside the range that I would search. JMHO.

In many cases that would be a solid thought. Not in the world of missing persons. Many things can make the listed height be off......whoever reported them missing could have accidently gave the wrong height.....anybody listing in on any network, could accidently type it in wrong.....unless I see a HUGE difference......height does NOT get considered.

As for petite.....that is a detail that was decided on by a person. each person has their own idea of what petite is. They may not have been so petite when they vanished.

82-4029.jpg

Maybe Diana Harris is worth looking at.
Similarities include: Red, naturally curly hair; Disappeared about a year before on July 15, 1981/from Florida; freckles; blue eyes; known to wear jeans and blouses/shirts. Similar facial features; Weight: 120-140 lbs
Inconsistencies include: Age: 27 years old vs. 20; Height is documented as 66 inches (4 inches above Jane Doe's height of 62 inches); noted that DH always had long nails (Jane Doe is a serious nail biter).

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/2648/62?current_page=case_information

There are some similarities. The height does not bother me. The nail biting....well....it is odd for a person who is use to long nails to suddenly take up nail biting......but nervous people find something to calm them down.....so that does not bother me a huge deal either. The age does make me go.......hmmmm....

Looks like Diana's case had to be reinitiated in 1994, the original report is not available.
NAMUS states:
"There is no original report available; however, our detectives initiated a new case report on 12-28-94 and conducted additional follow up."

It is also stated that her mom last spoke to her on July 15, 1981. She wore turquoise jewelry and moccasins or sandals.

Wonder if she was going thru a crisis of some sort and left Florida to begin a new life? I may have to check to see if there was a rodeo going on in Florida in July 1981?

Age determination may include a broad range or may be narrowed based on the anthropologist opinion. Not sure if an anthropologist was involved in this Jane Doe's case back in '82 when age range was set. In many cases age is estimated by hand x-rays. It will be interesting to see if with this new grant Dr. Love or her colleague provide updates on Jane Doe's age range.
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Detective-will-exhume-bodies-in-victim-identity-1691577.php
http://www.academia.edu/1566898/Developments_in_forensic_anthropology_Age-at-death_estimation

Here is my facial reconstruction for this Jane Doe:

90cccd8b-d59c-41b7-a8b2-254cca6493bd.jpg

Carl,
This is amazing. The post-mortem photo was really hard to look at (my personal opinion). And I didn't get a good sense of anything other than the brutality of her murder. You (as always) breathe life into these poor victims. I hope that you will send this into Jennifer Love (anthropologist now on the case) as this is so true to her actual features (clothing included).
Much thanks for sharing your talent,
nola

ETA: I've added another image of Diane Harris. What's your opinion on the ear comparison?

Another Update: Just spoke with a representative from Harris County ME office. This Jane Doe has been exhumed and DNA was extracted. This girl's complete DNA profile was just last week uploaded into CODIS. Dental was also charted and submitted. Cold hits (no request) can and do happen - they are run constantly at CODIS. As for the age range, they are very confident that this victim was between 15-20 in 1982. In this case the word 'petite' (from the media source) may have come from a reporter and opinion only. If their office uses the term (usually only in passing) it refers to shorter than average height (Webster def).

NAMUS Link for Jane Doe:
https://identifyus.org/en/cases/4601

I was just saying last night that I wished Carl would do a recon on this girl and voila!

New information about this Jane Doe from the Namus page includes:
Suture scar on right foot
Subtle scar on left cheek near eye
Freckles
Pierced ear, nonspecific
Inverted left nipple

Does anyone else see a scar near the left eye of Diane Harris?

Does anyone else see a scar near the left eye of Diane Harris?

I tried zooming in, but still didn't see it. Glad you asked this. Need a magnifier! It is noted as subtle.

This picture is so much better than the other and really matches the girl in the autospy photo. I really noticed her upturned nose and freckles. This captures her so much better. That layered hairstyle was very popular then...usually with bangs. I wondered if her hair was back from the forehead because she had been wearing a cowboy hat, or just from the struggle. This was just after Urban Cowboy with John Travolta had come out (1980) so hard to determine whether she was in western clothes because that was the style or because she had been C&W dancing or to a rodeo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OccasionalMallard
Back