U.S. flagged ship Captain Richard Phillips Rescued

Call me pessimistic, but I'm not sure this will end here. Remember Somalia is holding over 100 hostages from other hijackings. Negoliations with Somalia elders failed because they would not allow the US to take prisoners. It seems to me we should be concerned about a countermove. These people are ruthless.
Buzz Kill! LOL

I know you are right, but we have to celebrate the victories over the small battles within the wars. I am sure they are concerned about a countermove, but this maneuver also puts us in a position of control over one of their own. They are out the money this was supposed to raise, too. Three hits to their organization by this recovery and capture. We are going to use this to our advantage by not stopping there, imo. I expect to hear more coming out of Somalia in the next few days.

Right, didn't the pirates announce that they were not intimidated by the U.S. Navy? Whoops...

“We are not scared,” the pirates’ spokesman, Sugule Ali, said in a telephone interview on Tuesday. “You only die once.”

It kills me that pirates have spokesman.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/02/world/africa/02pirates.html

About that "pirate spokesperson", PattiAnn, I dug this quote up of his from last October:

In a 45-minute interview, Mr. Sugule spoke on everything from what the pirates wanted (“just money”) to why they were doing this (“to stop illegal fishing and dumping in our waters”) to what they had to eat on board (rice, meat, bread, spaghetti, “you know, normal human-being food”).

He said that so far, in the eyes of the world, the pirates had been misunderstood. “We don’t consider ourselves sea bandits,” he said. “We consider sea bandits those who illegally fish in our seas and dump waste in our seas and carry weapons in our seas. We are simply patrolling our seas. Think of us like a coast guard.”

Love that ... "Think of us like a coast guard"!!! :rolleyes: (and shaking head)

This is the best news I've heard in a long time!

About that "pirate spokesperson", PattiAnn, I dug this quote up of his from last October:

In a 45-minute interview, Mr. Sugule spoke on everything from what the pirates wanted (“just money”) to why they were doing this (“to stop illegal fishing and dumping in our waters”) to what they had to eat on board (rice, meat, bread, spaghetti, “you know, normal human-being food”).

He said that so far, in the eyes of the world, the pirates had been misunderstood. “We don’t consider ourselves sea bandits,” he said. “We consider sea bandits those who illegally fish in our seas and dump waste in our seas and carry weapons in our seas. We are simply patrolling our seas. Think of us like a coast guard.”

Love that ... "Think of us like a coast guard"!!! :rolleyes: (and shaking head)

So even pirate spokesmen practice spin control :rolleyes:

This is fantastic news, and I am so happy for this man and his family. Its so nice to hear when something GOOD happens in a time where there are so many bad endings.

Call me pessimistic, but I'm not sure this will end here. Remember Somalia is holding over 100 hostages from other hijackings. Negoliations with Somalia elders failed because they would not allow the US to take prisoners. It seems to me we should be concerned about a countermove. These people are ruthless.
Well...when you are right...you are right. Sadly, reports are they took two more ships last night. :( We will have to wait on the outcome for those crew members now.

It's now 4 in 24 hrs, right?

Yep.

So we'll see whether a bunch of teenagers in skiffs can control the international shipping waters.

Think of it this way: Would we let some teen boys in a jacked up pick truck or old camaro rule our highways?

I'm glad the Captain is home--and totally impressed that he offered himself up as hostage for the entire crew. What a hero!

Yep.

So we'll see whether a bunch of teenagers in skiffs can control the international shipping waters.

Think of it this way: Would we let some teen boys in a jacked up pick truck or old camaro rule our highways?

I'm glad the Captain is home--and totally impressed that he offered himself up as hostage for the entire crew. What a hero!

Captain Phillips is still not home (or in the U.S.A.), Texana. But the rest of the crew of the Maersk did arrive at Andrews Air Force Base early this morning (EDT).

http://news.aol.com/article/us-sailors-return-home/428524?cid=12

Captain Phillips was still aboard the U.S.S. Bainbridge, when the ship had to turn around to try to protect the Liberty Sun, after pirates began attacking it.

I think the Captain and the USS Bainbridge are now in Mombasa; and a chartered flight is awaiting there to bring the heroic Captain Phillips back to the U.S.A.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grammy 4
Back