Deceased/Not Found Canada - Alvin, 66, & Kathy Liknes, 53, Nathan O'Brien, 5, Calgary, 30 Jun 2014 - #13

Status
Not open for further replies.
A little off topic, I went on a google search and found another strange coincidence, again could be nothing. I google 'ae garland' and a motor freight transportation/trucking (except local, weird) company comes up in Texas. Didn't AL have links to Texas? Didn't DG have ties to motor freights in the past? I know, Texas is a big place. I then look at the company profile and the company contact has the same first name as AL, but last name Garland. Serious coincidences…it has to be connected, this can't be random or can it?

Maybe Alvin Garland is one of DG's alias' or...maybe AL and DG 'owned' the company together.

Hypothetically, without the truck picture... is LE on to DG at all, even today? It's entirely possible the plan, if there was one, would have worked with just a little more care put into it to case the neighborhood for cameras.

Here is a scenario: DG planned that the estate sale would be such a strong deterrent for police that they would have been focusing on that for some time. He did not figure in that he may be a POI so fast, if at all. So, he assumed he had time, his parents were away, possibly the 3 Missing people were alive and taken to his residence alive and he wanted to spend some time interrogating AL. The truck photo that was released in the amber alert may have been presented to family members first before released to the public. The family was probably under surveillance with police so wouldn't they have a better chance of identifying it thru the family first rather than letting the POI see it on live TV which could give him a chance to finish the job? LE could have already identified the truck belongs DG and moved in on him or had surveillance to see what his movement would be when he saw it broadcasted.

That's a fair distance 20 miles...would it be driven down the road or across land? I'm assuming down the road. If Heads company with the aerial imaging can detect minute relief/depression in a landscape, then perhaps LE could ask them to broaden their search to a 20 M radius. Even if he drove down the road, he would have to drive on the land and dig, so they would still be looking for depression in the landscape.
If I was going to be digging in a place that wouldn't raise concern or suspicion, I would probably go to a place that was already dug up...such as a construction site...perhaps the new raceway if they've started. A great place would be where there may be some new roadwork being put in, say for a new subdivision, commercial building, and a location already prepared that's just waiting for concrete or asphalt soon, say the next day...you could dig the previously disturbed spot, dump the bodies, cover the spot up again as it was before you dug and wait for the concrete truck.

Chances are any construction site is going to be active, which means if you dug on a Saturday, many, many people will be there all day Monday... and Tuesday... and will notice that their carefully graded, level ground to pour concrete on has been disturbed, as well as the odd smell if you did not dig deep enough. Most construction sites have security guards and patrols these days. It would be a risky, and unwise choice for a hiding place.

Could LE have put the sliders there to move the greenhouse during their investigation of the acreage?

The "sliders?" are in Google only and the google pics show a freshly tilled garden whereas the crime scene pics show a later unkempt garden.

The municipality - in this case the District of Rockyview - had bylaws in place even 40 years ago. Burning livestock and animals on acreages was not allowed 40 years ago. If there is a fire on the open prairie, everyone knows that the house burns to the ground before anyone can help. That's still the case today.

While "burning livestock and animals" is not permitted, he'd only have to have a fire permit to substantiate any burning on his property. Not like this guy would adhere to municipal bylaws after committing murder.

Here's the Rocky View Fire Services Bylaw:

http://www.rockyview.ca/Portals/0/Files/Government/Bylaws/C-7140-2012-Fire-Services-Bylaw.pdf

Section 11:11 relates to burning which does not require a permit (incinerator, bbq, fire pit .. with conditions specified; also Section 12:4).

A fire permit would only be trumped by an actual Fire Ban.

Here is a scenario: DG planned that the estate sale would be such a strong deterrent for police that they would have been focusing on that for some time. He did not figure in that he may be a POI so fast, if at all. So, he assumed he had time, his parents were away, possibly the 3 Missing people were alive and taken to his residence alive and he wanted to spend some time interrogating AL. The truck photo that was released in the amber alert could have been presented to family members first before released to the public. The family was probably under surveillance with police so wouldn't they have a better chance of identifying it thru the family first rather than letting the POI see it on live TV and giving him a chance to finish the job? LE could have already identified the truck belongs DG and moved in on him or had surveillance to see what his movement would be when he saw it broadcasted.

in your opinion, it would have been best that LE moved on the private truck info and not gone public? What a horrible risk/gamble on LE's part if true,, did they bluff to flush not thinking of a different outcome?

in your opinion, it would have been best that LE moved on the private truck info and not gone public? What a horrible risk/gamble on LE's part if true,, did they bluff to flush not thinking of a different outcome?

No, I think they acted fast, they found the photo, showed the family, uploaded to the Amber Alert. That could have happened in a matter of minutes and if they had a family member identify the truck it would have been a lot faster than sifting thru tips from across the country. They had DG under surveillance immediately pending identification of the vehicle. Does that make sense? I am exhausted.

Chances are any construction site is going to be active, which means if you dug on a Saturday, many, many people will be there all day Monday... and Tuesday... and will notice that their carefully graded, level ground to pour concrete on has been disturbed, as well as the odd smell if you did not dig deep enough. Most construction sites have security guards and patrols these days. It would be a risky, and unwise choice for a hiding place.

Yes, I see your points :) It was just a hypothetical in response to a question SL asked earlier. Just brainstorming.
I actually don't think DG buried anyone, anywhere, and certainly not using a bobcat. :)
If he did, his first big mistake would be starting the thing up, they're pretty noisy. His second would be either putting the bodies in the bucket or strapping them to the roof (no disrespect intended) to transport them...be it to a construction site or farmers field. IMO, the cab would be too small for everyone to fit. Also, LE likely would've hauled the bobcat away for investigation and forensic testing.
No...I think that DG would've been extra quiet and extra invisible while carrying the rest of his plan out. He wouldn't have drawn any attention to himself at all...just like at the Liknes house. Verrrrry quiet.

I live in Edmonton. Here, some do and some don't.

A commercial construction site in Airdrie, or anywhere for that matter, could be as simple as the racetrack being built by DG's acreage. Or a small convenience store. It could also mean roadwork where they are putting in pipe, etc...or a new sub-division that they're running lines in or a new skateboard park. What is the need for security in areas such as these? Someone may come and bury bodies? They may have security that makes their rounds, or not. DG probably would've researched that out if this was his dumping ground of choice. Any new homes being built around Airdrie? Any excavated basements waiting for concrete? Now there's a nice remote, quiet, dark, lonely place to do some work in...in a basement...dig a shallow grave in the dirt...wait for concrete. These aren't necessarily secured. JMO

Plywood, pipe, copper pipe, copper wiring, tools, machinery etc... all things regularly stolen from contraction sites. The more rural, the better. As well, they make for great places to spend a night if you're homeless, or drink with your teenage friends.

Sorry OOTD...you lost me..."the half mask respirator in the picture earlier also cuts down odors". The respirator wouldn't stop the bodies from smelling, only maybe for the person wearing it. I must not be understanding what you're saying...sorry

If I didn't want to smell bodies, I'd rather put on a mask, than embalm someone.

Plywood, pipe, copper pipe, copper wiring, tools, machinery etc... all things regularly stolen from contraction sites. The more rural, the better. As well, they make for great places to spend a night if you're homeless, or drink with your teenage friends.

....Jacuzzi's, cupboards, windows....walk off the job site in the middle of urban centres...this, I've heard disappear from our neighbor's new house during building...didn't hear a thing. :/

There is also the requirement from most insurance companies to secure the sites.

No, I think they acted fast, they found the photo, showed the family, uploaded to the Amber Alert. That could have happened in a matter of minutes and if they had a family member identify the truck it would have been a lot faster than sifting thru tips from across the country. They had DG under surveillance immediately pending identification of the vehicle. Does that make sense? I am exhausted.

Yes completely, and despite everything I've being going on about with the greenhouse, it is your statement of likely fact above that originally makes me think the bodies are elsewhere and possibly not complete to a plan, as; DG would not know what timeframe from the crime to potentially being caught he had. If he was just going about his day to day thinking he had all the time in the world and it was a perfect crime, then he would have been caught flagrant on the property with the remains. There might be clues on the property but I don't think the remains in whatever form are there and I also think that they might not be finished as dg might have liked.

Do we know what LE is looking into now? Where they are searching?

Oh, lol, I thought he might embalm them so no one else could smell them. I actually didn't even think of him :/ :)

If no one is there, and you're so far removed from the public and your neighbors, again, are you really going to go through the trouble of embalming? Would getting the fluids and apparatus necessary really be worth the time to kill a possible smell for a day? Add a fourth "highly" to my earlier speculation.

Yes completely, and despite everything I've being going on about with the greenhouse, it is your statement of likely fact above that originally makes me think the bodies are elsewhere and possibly not complete to a plan, as; DG would not know what timeframe from the crime to potentially being caught he had. If he was just going about his day to day thinking he had all the time in the world and it was a perfect crime, then he would have been caught flagrant on the property with the remains. There might be clues on the property but I don't think the remains in whatever form are there and I also think that they might not be finished as dg might have liked.
I think the remains were dumped in whatever form, very quickly after leaving the Liknes home. As I have said before, the risk of being caught transporting human remains would have prevented the suspect from being in possession of them any longer than necessary. If he was burning anything on his property, it was his clothing and any other evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member