ME ME - Ayla Reynolds, 20 mnths, Waterville, 17 December 2011 - # 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
When she was reported missing at 8:50 a.m. Saturday, the department, following its protocols, delivered automated phone messages to every home within a mile radius of where Ayla reportedly disappeared, alerting them of the disappearance.

"We need more than just us. We need the help of the general public," Massey said. "I suspect that somebody out there may know where the little girl is. ... We'd like to get her back home."
http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-sea...-ayla-reynolds/story?id=15184069#.Tu5oAmB9GXw

I am stunned that anyone can think it is okay not to check on a child for 11, now 13, hours...no matter how good a sleeper they are, or what their normal patterns are etc...I would NEVER not go check on my cat if I don't see him for a few hours, even if I know he is sleeping soundly in another room...

So it's 13 hours now? When I left earlier it was not quite 11 hours. Did the dad's statement change?
Everybody has different parenting habits, what you think is odd they may think is perfectly fine. And 9 times out of 10, their kids survive just fine. We just hear of the small percentage of ones who do end up kidnapped.
By a year and a half, babies should be sleeping through the night. Maybe the father has to work a physically hard job the next day and needs a full night's sleep. Besides, if you've never had children, how does that give you the knowledge and experience to judge someone else's parenting skills?
It's the sickos out there who kidnap and kill children who are to blame, not the parents.

I doubt she got out of the home by herself....How can a 20-month old open a door on her own? With an arm in a sling/cast/whatever? Could she reach the door knob at 4 months shy of being 2-years old? That seems really young... a 3 or 4 year old, maybe... And wouldn't they find the door OPEN in that scenario? I doubt a 20-month old would close the door behind her... ?

Curious about the accident that resulted in the arm injury of course. Anyone have any info on the dad's personality/temperment? What does he do for a living?

So sad....

So it's 13 hours now? When I left earlier it was not quite 11 hours. Did the dad's statement change?
Everybody has different parenting habits, what you think is odd they may think is perfectly fine. And 9 times out of 10, their kids survive just fine. We just hear of the small percentage of ones who do end up kidnapped.
By a year and a half, babies should be sleeping through the night. Maybe the father has to work a physically hard job the next day and needs a full night's sleep. Besides, if you've never had children, how does that give you the knowledge and experience to judge someone else's parenting skills?
It's the sickos out there who kidnap and kill children who are to blame, not the parents.

Yes, the time was changed to 8pm when he put her to bed...and he was having company over, or at least there were people gathered at the house,so he wasn't going to bed early to catch up on sleep. 11or 13 hours-it is too long, IN MY OPINION. I don't need to have children to have an opinion as to how long I would leave one alone in a room without checking, especially a baby. JMOJMOJMOJMO

snipped from : http://www.kjonline.com/news/Press-conference-today-on-missing-toddler.html

Massey said it's possible the toddler let herself out of the house and simply walked away and that is part of the investigation. It's also possible the child was abducted, police said.

:waitasec: So ... IF the toddler "let herself out of the house", wouldn't "someone" in the house have HEARD this baby walking through the house ... HEARD the door maybe ?

So ... IF it was an "abduction" has it been reported IF there has been any "forced entry" into the house ? Any broken windows or broken doors ? Anything ?

Hmmm ... I know it's early ... BUT I am just NOT buying that this 20 month old walked to the door and decided to "let herself out" ...

And as to an "abductor" ... I sure would like to know HOW MANY PEOPLE were in the house the time Ayla was "sleeping", and IF they heard anything ...

:waitasec: or should I say WHY they did NOT hear anything ...

IMO ... a 20 month getting up would make some sort of sound ...

Why Oh Why does this remind me so much of Baby Lisa Irwin ?

I just hope Ayla is found SOON and SAFE ... she is adorable !

MOO ...

Yes, the time was changed to 8pm when he put her to bed...and he was having company over, or at least there were people gathered at the house,so he wasn't going to bed early to catch up on sleep. 11or 13 hours-it is too long, IN MY OPINION. I don't need to have children to have an opinion as to how long I would leave one alone in a room without checking, especially a baby. JMOJMOJMOJMO

I agree. And you have furbabies, which is pretty much the same thing. Being responsible for another, dependent living thing gives you every right to that opinion. imo

I must be a psycho parent because I had the monitor running every night to listen in on my daughter until she was past two years old for sure. Not sure what the case was in Ayla's home (if there was a monitor).

And a baby in diapers - that need changing...and a baby that hasn't eaten - in AT LEAST 13 hours...

I doubt she got out of the home by herself....How can a 20-month old open a door on her own? With an arm in a sling/cast/whatever? Could she reach the door knob at 4 months shy of being 2-years old? That seems really young... a 3 or 4 year old, maybe... And wouldn't they find the door OPEN in that scenario? I doubt a 20-month old would close the door behind her... ?

Curious about the accident that resulted in the arm injury of course. Anyone have any info on the dad's personality/temperment? What does he do for a living?

So sad....

I am trying to bite my tongue, and sit on my hands about the arm sling. As I said, my kid had a broken arm at age 3, so I know it can happen without it being abusive. But I also know that we were interrogated, my husband and I separated, and asked questions by the hospital social worker about EXACTLY what happened.
And later on, my friend, who was a pediatric nurse, told me that broken arms are huge red flags for child abuse. One reason is that it is rare for a very young child to break an arm by a simple fall. Usually it would happen if they fell from a higher place, like a slide or a bunk bed, but not a simple run and fall down. But it also happens if they are being roughly handled, or grabbed and forced around physically by an angry caretaker.

To be honest, I would not even leave an adult sleeping in my home for as long as 13 hours without checking on them more than once...or any age person, not to mention my much-loved cat. It just seems too long, to me. That is half a day, for heaven's sake. And this is a baby wih an injury. I jus don't know what to make of it, in this case, or in Baby Lisa's case, leaving a sick child in a closed room alone without checking on her. It makes me crazy.

To be honest, I would not even leave an adult sleeping in my home for as long as 13 hours without checking on them more than once...or any age person, not to mention my much-loved cat. It just seems too long, to me. That is half a day, for heaven's sake. And this is a baby wih an injury. I jus don't know what to make of it, in this case, or in Baby Lisa's case, leaving a sick child in a closed room alone without checking on her. I makes me crazy.

I feel the same as you do. If my own mother sleeps late when visiting I will gently knock on her door and ask if she needs anything. It is just common sense to worry about the ones we love. Even the furry kind.

The next thing I don't want to hear is that, as well as a broken arm, the child wasn't feeling good.

So sad....

there have been several cases where this has happened (one very recent)
http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2011...r-found-safe/UPI-86051324183744/?spt=hs&or=tn

and Karma Diaz as well:

http://www.azcentral.com/video/1289853251001

of course none of these babies had a broken arm.... :-(

Things I'm wondering about:

1. Who was at the house Friday night? MSM indicates it was "friends and family." Does that mean JD's brothers/sisters/cousins and their friends who might be expected to be in the same age range as JD? Does JD own the house or live with his own parents, and if the latter, was the Friday gathering comprised of more of a mix of generations?

2. Did Ayla's broken arm occur when she was with her father, her mother, or both?

3. Was it a spiral fracture or a clean break?

4. After weeks have gone by since she broke her arm, and given her age, there is apparently no reason for her to sleep with her arm in the sling. Yet both the soft cast and sling are reported by MSM in their descriptions of her. Did LE find the sling at dad's house, and this is just a mistake on the part of reporters? Or is the sling missing too?

5. Given the nighttime temperatures, would a toddler who did manage to open a door and slip out of the house not try to get back inside when they felt how cold it was? Would a toddler think to close the door after they exited, and if not, didn't any of the guests notice the frigid air blowing through the open door?

:sigh:

I still am wondering why the sling was on while she was sleeping :eek: that is a safety hazard for one so young

Two search dogs, one from the Warden Service and one from Maine State Police, were at the house where she lives for much of the day Sunday.
Ayla was reported missing from her Violette Avenue home by her father, Justin DiPietro, at about 9 a.m. Saturday, when he found her bed empty. The girl’s mother, Trista Reynolds, is living in Portland without a permanent address, Massey said. Both parents have been interviewed and are cooperating with the investigation, he said.
He said there were several adults at the home Friday night when Ayla went to bed. At least one of them was not a family member, he said.
Massey said “everything is on the table,” and is not ruling out an abduction.
“We covered quite a large area up there. Unfortunately we were not successful in finding little Ayla,” Massey told reporters. “That is our primary focus; to find a 20-month-old little girl who now has been missing at least 40, 45 hours and bring her home safely.”
http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/Waterville-Search-continues-for-missing-toddler.html

I want to know if the arm that was broken was her dominant arm... at that age more difficult to open a door if that is the case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa