GUILTY Italy - Costa Concordia Cruise Ship runs aground/flips, 2012

Hoping Carnival is taking care of its passengers, unlike the way the captain and some of the crew have done. Even though it was an Italain cruiseline, Carnival is based in Miami. There were about 126 Americans on board.

Is it just me? Looking at the picture of the ship I was thinking that it shouldn't have been too bad. The majority of the ship wasn't under water. The majority of the ship was intact. It would have taken time for water to flood. And from what I understand it listed first, then rolled more. So if there had been prompt evacuation and assist on the lower areas of the ship should have decreased the loss of life. A controlled evacuation should then have gotten most people off. They weren't far from shore, so life boats could have made more than one trip if need be.

And while there was a danger of the ship rolling more, there wasn't any danger of sinking because it wasn't in deep enough water.

I am just seeing too little and in some cases too late.
I would like to see a illustration of what part if the interior is flooded. Are the stairways submerged? How many areas are above the water but don't have access out?

I would like to see a illustration of what part if the interior is flooded. Are the stairways submerged? How many areas are above the water but don't have access out?

DH and I were on a ship some years ago that began listing slightly (3* IIRC)about halfway through the 9-night cruise out of San Juan. For whatever reason, the ship was never fully righted when we returned to Puerto Rico. For a few days, it was like walking sideways and rather difficult to navigate the ship without feeling "off balance". It was really odd to disembark for a day on a Caribbean island and return to the listing vessel :D Even that slight tilt of the cruise ship was enough to make many passengers feel very uncomfortable and out of their element.

Assuming that the watertight doors were operable, many interior areas of the ship would not have been immediately flooded. Still, the sideward tipping of the ship would have sent furniture flying, glass breaking, passengers being thrown against walls, etc. I saw some closeup photos that show a huge gash in the ship's hull, so the vessel probably started taking on water very quickly. jmo

It's not clear if the two latest victims found were under water or not.

The bodies of two elderly people have been recovered from the wreck of the ill-fated cruise ship Costa Concordia, the Italian Coast Guard said Sunday, bringing the number of dead in the sinking to at least five.
The dead were found near the ship's restaurant, still wearing their life jackets, Coast Guard spokesman Capt. Cosimo Nicastro told reporters.
News of the grim discovery came hours after a survivor was rescued

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/15/world/europe/italy-cruise-deaths/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

The below article says the victims were found submerged.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/0...earch-for-survivors-deadly-shipwreck-resumes/

(snip)
The Italian Coast Guard says its divers have found two more bodies aboard the stricken Costa Concordia cruise ship.
The discovery of the bodies brings to five the number of known dead after the luxury ship ran aground with some 4,200 people aboard on Friday night.
The Coast Guard said Sunday the bodies of the two elderly people were found in the submerged restaurant.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/0...ivors-deadly-shipwreck-resumes/#ixzz1jXugEeWP

I remember when this incident happened, and folks onboard were posting video of the aftermath of a sudden large wave. The ship wasn't listing and remained upright, but the unexpected turbulence caused a lot of superficial damage:

[video=youtube;u8y26wkd8u4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8y26wkd8u4[/video]

The below article says the victims were found submerged.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/0...earch-for-survivors-deadly-shipwreck-resumes/

(snip)
The Italian Coast Guard says its divers have found two more bodies aboard the stricken Costa Concordia cruise ship.
The discovery of the bodies brings to five the number of known dead after the luxury ship ran aground with some 4,200 people aboard on Friday night.
The Coast Guard said Sunday the bodies of the two elderly people were found in the submerged restaurant.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/0...ivors-deadly-shipwreck-resumes/#ixzz1jXugEeWP
I can't imagine the horror they went through before their death. Sadly, more will likely be found, having perished in this same manner.

:cry:

May they Rest in Peace
:rose:

It's not clear if the two latest victims found were under water or not.

The bodies of two elderly people have been recovered from the wreck of the ill-fated cruise ship Costa Concordia, the Italian Coast Guard said Sunday, bringing the number of dead in the sinking to at least five.
The dead were found near the ship's restaurant, still wearing their life jackets, Coast Guard spokesman Capt. Cosimo Nicastro told reporters.
News of the grim discovery came hours after a survivor was rescued

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/15/world/europe/italy-cruise-deaths/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Wearing their life jackets. Which means they would have been alive through the crash. Possibly an employee helped them find the life jackets. And being in the restaurant, means they were in an area where there would have been other people, and a number of employees. The employees got out, the other people got out. But they didn't.

From what I have read the captain allegedly said something to the effect that the rocks weren't on his chart. And that the ship was a couple of miles off course. Was the captain unaware that they were off course????

From what I have read the captain allegedly said something to the effect that the rocks weren't on his chart. And that the ship was a couple of miles off course. Was the captain unaware that they were off course????

My understanding is the ship was somewhere between 2-4 miles off course. I can't imagine him not knowing, assuming all the controls/gauges were functioning. Even if they weren't, wouldn't he realize how close to land the ship was by a visual check, or is there nothing to illuminate the area surrounding the ship at night?

:waitasec:

Okay, now there's an article about the arrest -- for manslaughter and abandoning ship. Having followed nautical charts while living our sailboat for a year, I believe 2.5 miles off-course is a lot. Especially in such shallow rocky water.

Post 14 The link from CNN

The captain told media that he and the crew were the last to abandon ship.

Another ship captain said that the ship hit the rocks and tried to keep going.

The ship began taking on water Friday evening and the crew kept going because they believed the vessel could normally keep sailing, Nicastro said. Realizing there was a significant safety problem, the commander steered the Costa Concordia closer toward port.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/14/world/europe/italy-cruise-deaths/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

This I don't understand. When the ship hit the rock they were too close to keep sailing. Were they not aware that they were close to land? Did this captain even know what happened?

There is a you tube italian news video circulating on facebook.
I don't know how to get it here.
It even shows a (crew) guy at the bar ? station using a computer and he falls over and computer flies off with him, crew and carts and tables and chairs look like they go right, the left, then right and left again.

On CNN.com News they just said large rock embedded itself into the hull.
Showed video of a reenactment............

My understanding is the ship was somewhere between 2-4 miles off course. I can't imagine him not knowing, assuming all the controls/gauges were functioning. Even if they weren't, wouldn't he realize how close to land the ship was by a visual check, or is there nothing to illuminate the area surrounding the ship at night?

:waitasec:

I know that some of the quotes are from people who weren't sailing the ship, and that there would naturally be a lot of confusion right now and things might not be really clear.

But I am starting to wonder if there was anyone on the bridge at that time. Because there seems to be a lot of things they "should" have known. But it was "dinner" time.

At one point after the crash there was some confusion as to where the captain was when the crash happened. Some reportedly said he was in the dining room dining with the passengers. Some said he was on the bridge.

Was it the "CAPTAIN's Dinner" night????
Everyone gets dressed up and the Captain is there?

There is a you tube italian news video circulating on facebook.
I don't know how to get it here.
It even shows a (crew) guy at the bar ? station using a computer and he falls over and computer flies off with him, crew and carts and tables and chairs look like they go right, the left, then right and left again.

A very crude reader comment below one of the news articles about the crippled cruise ship suggested that the Captain has stopped at a "sand bar" prior to sailaway from Civitavecchia (Rome) :rolleyes:

I know that some of the quotes are from people who weren't sailing the ship, and that there would naturally be a lot of confusion right now and things might not be really clear.

But I am starting to wonder if there was anyone on the bridge at that time. Because there seems to be a lot of things they "should" have known. But it was "dinner" time.

At one point after the crash there was some confusion as to where the captain was when the crash happened. Some reportedly said he was in the dining room dining with the passengers. Some said he was on the bridge.

I have the same question regarding anyone being on the bridge, as it seems incomprehensible that no one would notice the ship being that far off course. Or, if someone did notice, and if the Captain was at dinner, could it be he wasn't notified? Hopefully some clearer reports will come out as the investigation continues. As it stands now, it's very confusing.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back