GUILTY Italy - Costa Concordia Cruise Ship runs aground/flips, 2012

No kidding. I cannot imagine how many lives would have been lost if they hadn't been so close to land. (Of course, the accident wouldn't have happened in open seas, but still.)

Praying for the missing and the grieving families. I hope that the passenger list error means that no other people are really missing or dead.

I think there are some places where sand bars lie just beneath the surface, but dry land is a mile or more away. How many passengers could swim a mile in the dark? Not many, I imagine.

(ETA I'm not contradicting you. A sand bar a mile from shore isn't really the "open seas." But it might as well be in practical terms for people who are shipwrecked in the dark.)

And, Nova, imagine if they swam in the wrong direction! I don't know if they could have seen lights from land at the distance they were, though.

And, Nova, imagine if they swam in the wrong direction! I don't know if they could have seen lights from land at the distance they were, though.

And how to tell shore lights from those of passing ships? It would be very easy to get disoriented, even in the day but especially in the dark.

This had to be extremely frightening even for those who were on the exposed (above water) part of the ship, not to have a floor to stand on but rather walls became the floor. I cannot imagine the terror for those who were submerged, knowing they would drown if they couldn't get to a safe place and yet not knowing how to get there.

For those who perished, may they Rest in Peace.......
:rose:

So what happened? An electrical or technical problem further out a sea. Then the Capt. maneuvers close to shore for an evacuation causing the hull to be ripped open? What electrical or technical problem would cause the need for an evacuation?

This is the banner on http://www.cnn.com/

Two survivors have been found in the hull of the cruise ship that ran aground Friday, Italy's ANSA news agency reports.

Rescuers reportedly found two survivors in the interior of an overturned cruise ship that ran aground off a picturesque Italian island, killing three people, injuring 20 and leaving dozens unaccounted for.
The man and woman on the Costa Concordia responded to the rescuers, but had not yet been reached, Italy's ANSA news agency reported early Sunday.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/14/world/europe/italy-cruise-deaths/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Rescuers reportedly found two survivors in the interior of an overturned cruise ship that ran aground off a picturesque Italian island, killing three people, injuring 20 and leaving dozens unaccounted for.
The man and woman on the Costa Concordia responded to the rescuers, but had not yet been reached, Italy's ANSA news agency reported early Sunday.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/14/world/europe/italy-cruise-deaths/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Thankfully they survived, and hopefully there are more who can be rescued.

:praying:

Rescuers reached two trapped survivors in the interior of a cruise ship more than 24 hours after it ran aground off a picturesque Italian island, killing three people, injuring 20 and leaving dozens unaccounted for.
The man and woman on the Costa Concordia were located in a cabin and taken ashore, Italy's ANSA news agency reported early Sunday. Video showed them being taken to a waiting ambulance.

More:

Hopefully there will be more.

Yes it would be very scary! I am assuming that they were trapped in the room and unable to communicate with anyone. So all of sudden their wall is the floor and the room is topsy turvey, no one is answering when they holler and they can't get out. They don't know what is happening or how much danger is there. I can't imagine what they went through in the 24 hours until they were found.

How long was it from the time they went aground until they actually began evacuation procedures?

From what I am reading it sounds like the ship went off course, no one noticed and that's why they went aground?

For those who've kept up with the tragedy, probably not a lot - if anything - new here, info-wise, but for others (like me, for one) who haven't, Daily Mail is its usual informative self, providing a good overview, one highlighted by absolutely great pictures from the scene, a couple dozen of them, plus a map, and also a video - and three attached articles, one on possible causes of the crash and another on the cruise ship industry in general. I'll just c/p the article's bullets for main points made:
• Passengers tell of 'chaos' as crew members said 'go back to your cabins'
• Survivors leapt for their lives into the icy sea as the liner rolled onto its side
• Captain of the ship in custody with another crew member
• Boat was 'four miles off course' when it hit rocks
• Bodies of two French passengers and a Peruvian crewman recovered
• One victim, 65, died from heart attack following shock of cold water
• Liner had listed so badly 'lifeboats had difficulty being launched'
• 37 Britons on board but none believed to have died or been injured
Everything's here:

Captain and first officer arrested as up to 70 cruise passengers missing and three dead while survivors tell of 'chaotic evacuation'

apparently there had been no muster drill yet? strange.
i love cruising .. i feel so bad for those people who don't know where their loved ones are right now.

apparently there had been no muster drill yet? strange.
i love cruising .. i feel so bad for those people who don't know where their loved ones are right now.

On the cruise website that DH and I frequent, I learned that some American passengers embarked the ship in Barcelona on January 9, so at least some of the passengers had been through the safety drill. Another muster was scheduled for today for passengers who embarked the ship near Rome. Evidently, the Captain did not want to interrupt dinner to have the newly-embarked passengers go through the emergency evacuation drill :rolleyes:

Besides the Captain having bailed on his ship/crew/passengers, it has also been reported that crew members followed the Captain's lead by abandoning ship instead of seeing to the safety of passengers that is among their duties when employed by any cruise line. This dire situation apparently became "every man for himself", and those who were negligent and remiss in their duties should be held accountable. jmo

On the cruise website that DH and I frequent, I learned that some American passengers embarked the ship in Barcelona on January 9, so at least some of the passengers had been through the safety drill. Another muster was scheduled for today for passengers who embarked the ship near Rome. Evidently, the Captain did not want to interrupt dinner to have the newly-embarked passengers go through the emergency evacuation drill :rolleyes:

Besides the Captain having bailed on his ship/crew/passengers, it has also been reported that crew members followed the Captain's lead by abandoning ship instead of seeing to the safety of passengers that is among their duties when employed by any cruise line. This dire situation apparently became "every man for himself", and those who were negligent and remiss in their duties should be held accountable. jmo

I've read other accounts of crew bailing out on passengers - talk about honor and integrity. This latest fiasco has decided me - no cruises for this old lady.

Short update

Updated 9:54 p.m. ET: Two survivors of a cruise ship grounding who were found nearly a day after the ship rolled onto its side have been identified as a South Korean couple on their honeymoon.
Prato fire commander Vincenzo Bennardo told The Associated Press that rescuers who had been banging on doors of the ship cabins all night finally heard a reply from one of the rooms early Sunday. He said the two, about 29 years old, were in good condition. He said the rescuers never stopped going door-to-door during the night in the non-submerged part of the ship.

http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_n...24-hours-after-cruise-ship-capsizes-off-italy

Short update

Updated 9:54 p.m. ET: Two survivors of a cruise ship grounding who were found nearly a day after the ship rolled onto its side have been identified as a South Korean couple on their honeymoon.
Prato fire commander Vincenzo Bennardo told The Associated Press that rescuers who had been banging on doors of the ship cabins all night finally heard a reply from one of the rooms early Sunday. He said the two, about 29 years old, were in good condition. He said the rescuers never stopped going door-to-door during the night in the non-submerged part of the ship.

http://overheadbin.msnbc.msn.com/_n...24-hours-after-cruise-ship-capsizes-off-italy

Law, that's one to tell the grandkids, eh?

Thankful that they are safe. Hope we learn of more happy endings (as in others are safe and sound but haven't reported in or been added to the official roster yet).

Is it just me? Looking at the picture of the ship I was thinking that it shouldn't have been too bad. The majority of the ship wasn't under water. The majority of the ship was intact. It would have taken time for water to flood. And from what I understand it listed first, then rolled more. So if there had been prompt evacuation and assist on the lower areas of the ship should have decreased the loss of life. A controlled evacuation should then have gotten most people off. They weren't far from shore, so life boats could have made more than one trip if need be.

And while there was a danger of the ship rolling more, there wasn't any danger of sinking because it wasn't in deep enough water.

I am just seeing too little and in some cases too late.

The Captain has much to be accountable for. Not having another drill scheduled due to "DINNER" is a reason enough for him to be arrested. :furious: I am awaiting to hear his explanations for the cause of this tragedy. No excuse for abandoning the ship/passengers. This is a tragedy that appears to be a direct result of his actions.

Happy to hear of the rescue of 2 more passengers.. Awaiting more good news on the survivors and those missing.

To those who lost their lives, may they Rest in Peace.
Many blessings.

Goz

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea