OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sounding like a broke record, but since they heavily leaned in on that they are searching the wooded areas around the homes during the presser, I am *thinking* that it could be tools like brooms (to cover tire tracks), shovels, trash bags to bag the plants, etc.

JMO.

Maybe. More likely they are combing for all the pot. LE loves to rip them out. :)

I don't understand about the SWAT team. When I heard about I assumed it meant an arrest was imminent. Now it seems it isn't. Anyone?

In the presser, they said they've served 5 warrants. Perhaps SWAT went with them to be safe. If this is an act of organized crime, LE is likely in great danger for popping the lid on this investigation.

Grow ops are usually found by helicopter or by snitch. They hide them in the woods so it's hard to see from the air. In California I've read they are guarded by heavily armed pot troops.

I am wondering if it was an inside grow operation and it was all stolen- which would tell them it was someone who knew the timing etc of the operation and would also tell them it was planned well enough for the plants to be stolen and it would also take multiple people to pull that off

Maybe if they had enough qualm not to want to kill babies, they didn't want to kill an unborn baby either? But felt the 16 and 19 year olds were fair game?

Now knowing what we know about the grow operation, it's possible the 16 year old was selling at his high school. I imagine it's like my rural part of Ohio and that's not even considered overly young to be in the weed dealing business.

I don't find it odd that the sheriff did not have the grows or this family on his radar. Grows are secretive by nature. If they were in the woods there would be no reason for LE or their neighbors to know about them. They would be hidden from the casual observer IMO.

Also, Gary Rhoden, the cousin from Kentucky who was killed, did have a criminal record for drugs. As do some of his family members in Kentucky. But I haven't seen any links to criminal histories of the Piketon OH Rhodens linked so again, I don't find it unusual for this family to be on the sheriff's radar so to speak.

If there are links demonstrating criminal histories of the members of the Piketon Rhodens who were killed - per Tricia, those can be linked and discussed as they may pertain to this crime. Especially in light of this Marijuana grow information. But please - don't post about criminal records of family members who were not killed or reside in another state and may have nothing to do with this situation.

Does anyone else think 18 pieces of evidence is peculiar? There were 8 people killed. 4 crime scenes and only 18 pieces of evidence? :waitasec::thinking:

I was surprised it was so few too. Would it matter that AG Dewine specifically mentioned DNA in the same breath?

I live in northern CA and the LAST thing you ever want to do is stumble upon a pot grow while hiking. The Mexican cartels are in deep, and even the local growers will not hesitate to eliminate you.

This is exactly why I never go hiking. Or do anything else particularly active for that matter. Way too risky. :giggle:

I don't understand why somebody making a LOT of money lives in a mobile home. And why they only have a $3000 demolition derby car. Why not buy a brand new Mustang GT and drag race that at the local track instead, along with a BMW for a daily driver. And a nice house that actually has a foundation. These people just didn't seem to be living any kind of glamorous lifestyle from what I can see on Facebook. I get that they wouldn't want to be too flashy, so as not to arouse suspicion. But honestly, they weren't even a little bit flashy.

There are those people that are involved in dealing drugs that don't know how to manage money. Also who's to say there weren't other people involved in the pot growing business with them? Maybe a business deal gone wrong? Most likely a business deal gone wrong.

I thought it was odd that she had her toddler, her newborn, and a 6 month old niece or nephew there. That is too much for one person, let alone one who just gave birth. But maybe she and her mom were in the same home?

I think Hanna May, newborn, and her 3 year old, were living with her mother and probably her younger brother. I believe Frankie and Hannah G were in another home with their baby (and possibly another 3 year old, although I have a suspicion this child might be FR's by a previous gf, so might not live there full time) - MOO.

I am wondering if it was an inside grow operation and it was all stolen- which would tell them it was someone who knew the timing etc of the operation and would also tell them it was planned well enough for the plants to be stolen and it would also take multiple people to pull that off
I'm thinking the same thing. Outside growing in Ohio wouldn't have been possible a few months ago and so if it was outdoors the plants would be in their infancy.

Now knowing what we know about the grow operation, it's possible the 16 year old was selling at his high school. I imagine it's like my rural part of Ohio and that's not even considered overly young to be in the weed dealing business.

But the owner of the Big Bear facility said the boy was begging for work so he had gas money - that doesn't say making money from drug sales to me.

I'm reposting this link that I put up earlier about the pot grow by Mexican nationals in Pike County, because I think it's important:

http://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...n-drug-cartels-are-running-weed-farms-in-ohio

"This also isn’t the first time the footprints of the drug cartels have trekked across Ohio. In 2010, the state raided two weed farms run by Mexican nationals outside of Columbus."
...and here's the problem with that, they can't be traced, hard to trace someone when they have no ID in the country. These people are using assassins, because that's what this is here. It's not just local dealers who are in danger, what if someone is just hiking and come across these farms? Anyone can be their victim, and they do involve themselves in human trafficking along with the drugs.

They want people to be afraid of them, and I think because Candy Newsome and her daughter's death didn't get enough exposure to media, they made sure this one did. I'd investigate any of the properties in that whole area that's not owned by local people living there for years. There's so much land out there, and the Rhodens were competition. Govt agencies, along with local LE need to round up any drug dealing operations they know about. Start arresting local dealers and users so they'll turn over information, also.

Here are my notes from the presser for anyone who cares--- :)

SHERIFF:
They are maintaining the crime scenes and keeping them secure and guarded, just in case they need to go back to look for something they may have missed.
This is a large investigation and they ask the public to be patient.
They are working 24 hours around the clock but predict it will be a lengthy investigation.
An OPRC Star Team (of 38 men) is currently going back over the crime scenes to make sure nothing was missed and are also searching nearby wooded areas to look for additional potential evidence. Hundreds of men and women from other departments in the state have come to assist them with this investigation.

AG:

Over 100 tips received.
50-60 interviews conducted and others will continue to be conducted.
Over 100 personnel working this case.
5 search warrants conducted.
4 crime scenes.
18 pieces of evidence sent to the BCI Lab for testing of DNA and other purposes.
This was a pre-planned execution. It was a sophisticated operation and whoever is responsible did everything they could to hinder the investigation and prosecution. This is not a case of a "mad person" who's done this.
He will continue to provide info about what they are doing but he will not provide the results. Their goal is to do whatever they have to do to find these people or person responsible.
Most of this investigation is being conducted using good old-fashioned police work.
Jeff Ruby has offered a $25K reward for anyone who brings information forward that results in a conviction of those responsible.
He will not give out info that will slow down the investigation or hinder the prosecution.

SHERIFF:

Only 1 family has been targeted and they have been told to be armed.
Anything that seems out of the ordinary should be reported. He suggests anyone in the community that has concerns about their safety to remain armed.
He reiterates that these killings were methodical, well-planned out, well-thought out, and most of them were killed in their sleep.

AG:

No comment about if they have any suspects/POIs.
No comment about possible motive.
No comment to a question a reporter asked about the family being stalked.
No comment about if they have recovered useful CCTV footage.

SHERIFF:

He will not reveal the location of the 5th warrant at this time. They added that the warrants would eventually be filed with the county and that info is available to the public.
Confirmed a drug problem exists in the county and throughout all of Ohio.
No comment about whether drugs were found inside any of the homes.
No comment about if any weapons were found or what weapons (calibers) were used.
No comment about where the surviving family members are staying.
7 autopsies have been completed & 8th will be completed tomorrow.
LE was familiar with the family because it's a small community.
No comment on the family's criminal history. Sheriff said he (personally) had never had any criminal contact with this family since he's worked for the county (the last 20 years).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buggy8993