2011.05.16 Sidebar Thread (Juror Selection Day Seven)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to give everyone a heads up. The movie "Jumper" that Casey rented the night Caylee was murdered is playing right now on FX (Eastern time). In case anyone is interested.

I couldn't make it through the last guy, I had to go lay down. Coming back it looks like that guy make it through as least so far. Interesting to see how many strikes are played tomorrow.

I also wonder about 1426, HHJP said he would check overnight about the refund for his Carnival cruise. Sounds like HHJP may know the owner of the cruise line.

Will be interesting to see the outcome as cruise lines don't normally refund the money this late in the game. So unless he bought the travel insurance or HHJP works a deal he is out of luck with the cost of the cruise if he is on the jury.

Just to give everyone a heads up. The movie "Jumper" that Casey rented the night Caylee was murdered is playing right now on FX (Eastern time). In case anyone is interested.

Interesting synopsis: "blah bla about a man blah blah able to teleport himself blah blah, and his attempts to stay one step ahead of the secret society out to capture him."

I agree that there is some wheeling and dealing and a LOT of document review going on right now....

I am going to throw out a bet that they don't throw it all away tomorrow... all this hard work... I cannot imagine them throwing it..

moo

I agree that there is some wheeling and dealing and a LOT of document review going on right now....

I am going to throw out a bet that they don't throw it all away tomorrow... all this hard work... I cannot imagine them throwing it..

moo

Seriously! Two of them literally worked themselves sick!
:silly: OMG the pic NG just showed of what looks like ICA making moony eyes at CM!

Oh my.....I am listening to today's selection.., I would be so confused if they were asking me all of these questions, ayeyyye yiiii, lol!!!

How many jurors do we have at this point? TIA!!
Here's a good catch up article:

Tot Mom Jury Selection – Day 7
Jury selection at Casey Anthony's trial for her 2-year-old daughter Caylee’s murder is nearing its end in Pinellas County. 5 potential jurors questioned on Monday were held over after their second round of voir dire, bringing the total chosen so far to 17.

However, the prosecution and defense still have the right to remove those jurors before Judge Belvin Perry swears them in. Both sides have 8 peremptory challenges left after each used their second challenge on Monday. There have been a number of other candidates over the last week who either side has attempted to have excused for cause, but Perry denied those requests.

More here:http://nancygrace.blogs.cnn.com/2011...lection-day-7/

Mel

At the end of court I saw SA/DT talking in corner,could be making deals on some of the strikes. I don't think AA woman is safe,D/T could use a strike on her in order to hold on to another person,that the SA office wants off. I think deals are being made this evening JMHO:twocents:

Is that something that happens in the U.S? The two sides talking jury strikes?

did anyone notice at the end of today's jury selection LDB was talking to JB? Oh she is so smart, I just knew she was talking to him trying to see if she could gleam anything about who he was going to strike. She is so cool and knows JB so well that I bet she got loads of info from JB. All she had to do was stroke his ego just a tiny bit then talk about the thunderstorm yesterday

Is that something that happens in the U.S? The two sides talking jury strikes?

not officially. this is why it is interesting even to be in the hallway. it can be the interesting stuff.

Oh my.....I am listening to today's selection.., I would be so confused if they were asking me all of these questions, ayeyyye yiiii, lol!!!

I think I`d have JP turn the mic off for the whole questioning period. It really seems personal and to have to make a definite decision on the death penalty is really difficult when you haven`t put much thought into it before.

I would think the Judge would want more than 4 alternates. I mean after all the DT has hired some people that have left us all question if they have clean hands. It only takes some innocent person who knows where they are going to dinner, to happen to bump into them in the bathroom or where ever they go on an outing. To try and knock a juror off. They only have to do that 4 times. I know highly unlikely but with this Jury pool I can see at least 3 maybe leaving before trial ends.

Edit to clarify, by stating Knock off I mean talk to them about the case to get them excused.

Does anyone else wonder about the "on a scale of 1 to 10" question asked by AF???

I have been wondering if that question opens up and doors in an appeal process?

It just seems to me an odd question given that the scale means nothing as sentence follows instructions by the Judge.

I have no doubt HHJP would have nipped any issues in the bud...but it just strikes me as odd.

OMG,
Nancy Grace just said the PJ with a book and cover lined up,was arrested ???

No - really sometimes I wonder if Nancy really needs the headlines her staff cook up with her. I actually saw that one.

The big bombshell is that three of the jurors have arrests/no convictions or DUI's in their background including the boy with the smoke{giggle from Jean C)

Nancy was just plain outraged about the "young black" {her words} juror who had his book cover planned and was unfortunate enough to boast about it to his friends on Facebook.

Mainly the program was about (probably) finding the skeletal remains of Nancy Powell.

Bravo! I think she would've driven everybody batty in the jury room. She drove me batty right here, so I left for sanity's sake! LOL

I had to quit listening for long periods of time. The same questions over and over again for each juror was starting to get on my nerves. :maddening: Makes me want to ask "Are we there yet?"

Does anyone else wonder about the "on a scale of 1 to 10" question asked by AF???

I have been wondering if that question opens up and doors in an appeal process?

It just seems to me an odd question given that the scale means nothing as sentence follows instructions by the Judge.

I have no doubt HHJP would have nipped any issues in the bud...but it just strikes me as odd.

I can't speak to the legal aspects, but it looked to me like she was just asking them for a rough guesstimate. She didn't say you must be specific like I think a person would have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa