LA - ***ARREST*** Mickey Shunick, 21, Lafayette, 19 May 2012 #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had the opportunity last night to speak with someone in an online chat about their family member that was a serial rapist/murderer. This man half-hazardly placed the body several yards off the roadside within a mile of his home. It was not hidden or concealed. It looked dumped. He did not choose this spot or any reason other than convenience as he was on his way home.

This leads me to believe not all killers put a lot of consideration in where the body is left. This man was questioned by police because he had been seen in the same bar as the victim was last seen and because his residence was right there. He was never convicted as it was circumstantial.

Interesting Read...
The Profile of a Violent Serial Offender

Often they don't have the nerve to kill the person they're really angry with, so they kill others

Don't kill on impulse. Think long and hard about what they're doing. It's the most important thing in their lives and they want to get it right.

Killers who take the time to dispose of the body well, such as in a river, are often older.

If organized-
Plans crime, and targets a stranger. Likes to maintain control over everything

If disorganized-
Murder is spontaneous and usually of someone he knows, or in a place he knows.
Crime scene is sloppy - body left where it fell

http://www.mitchpileggi.net/Deep_Background/resources/forensics/forpsych.htm

Supposing he hit her by accident? How does that turn into an apparent battle for her life, complete with wounds? If he was really so worried about getting into trouble, he would have either fled the scene and left her there, or dropped her anonymously at/near a hospital, IMO.

Why is being taken almost for granted that he was drunk? Has there been an indication that he has a drinking problem?

I just can't make the accident scenario work, other than perhaps he hit her harder than he planned.

...maybe they found HIS blood on the bike.

YES, probably so! If he picked the bike up to dispose of it his injured finger could have left blood evidence. Wouldn't he have thought of that though?? As far as I can remember many news outlets reported the bike "partly submerged" there was mention of trash piles because of WB's reputation as a dump site, but I haven't read a single report alleging the bike placed in the garbage piles. Someone please post a link to support the bike NOT being found in water. I sure it was reported "partly submerged." And that would probably lead him to believe prints and DNA might wash away if the bike were found. Seems pretty dumb to touch the bike with your bare bloody hand and toss it into a pile of trash...

Has LE said they placed his truck at WB or they placed him at WB?

Both. Check the timeline and media thread for the press conference, q&a and mouton radio interview. I'm on my phone otherwise I would link you.

Both. Check the timeline and media thread for the press conference, q&a and mouton radio interview. I'm on my phone otherwise I would link you.

Thanks, someone else posted a link for me.

I am so relieved to hear this, as some posters were saying that he could say he was not driving his truck that night, for example, so am very happy to know he left a trace of himself there, hopefully on the bike. Explain that, defense attorney, in a way any sane person will believe. Oh you found a damaged bike in the road and decided it needed to be placed in WB?? Or did he just stop at WB to relieve himself and happen to do so on Mickey's bike? Yeah right.

Supposing he hit her by accident? How does that turn into an apparent battle for her life, complete with wounds? If he was really so worried about getting into trouble, he would have either fled the scene and left her there, or dropped her anonymously at/near a hospital, IMO.

Why is being taken almost for granted that he was drunk? Has there been an indication that he has a drinking problem?

I just can't make the accident scenario work, other than perhaps he hit her harder than he planned.

Me either. I think he planned it out and was "trolling" for a victim.
(was he in the area because he knew a girl would be some where on a bike alone at that hour) probaby...
Had he not ended up on camera or getting stabbed, he might have gotten away with it!
~moo
This article mentions a stressful "event" triggering them...
http://policelink.monster.com/train...tors-first-step-in-violent-offender-profiling

I think it has been verified that two of his family homes have burned to the ground. That part is factual.

I guess it is just rumor that he was suspected by some of being the one who torched them.

Thanks for your reply. :)

I saw an article where a neighbor said his dads house burned down.

I never saw a family member here who was verified state 2 of his houses burned down.

Truth has a way of getting stretched sometimes and the more it is passed around the more the actual story gets changed. I have witnessed it here several times.

It makes no sense to me, either Clu and Katy.

There have been no previous reports of him drinking, right?
There is at least one previous report of him being a sex offender.
There is another report of him acting violently toward a woman (his ex).

I also don't understand the point of suggesting it was an accident in the first place.

I am confident LE in this case knows enough to know that it was not an accident, and it was first degree murder. That is what they are charging him with. They have all of the evidence.

(This is my second, but final post on the subject of an accident.) I am here in the hopes of somehow helping find MS.

Oh I didn't know Texas Equusearch is searching again...yeah if they are there with the police, then I'm sure they have a strong lead to suspect MS is around that area. Please bring her home

Supposing that it may have been an accident..

We don't know there was a battle for life. Someone stabbed Brandon but that could have been Mickey, a stranger or self-inflicted.

You would think he would have just taken off and left her there but he may have gotten out to see what he hit and knew she coud identify him.

I have not read anything about him having a drinking problem or being a casual drinker. It just seems possible being that he was out at that time driving. You just don't see a lot of Sunday drivers out at 2am.

Of course, that's a good time for a predator to look for a victim that may be inebriated too. So many plausible explanations for both sides.

The poison ivy was so bad they could not treat the cuts? Sorry, but that makes zero sense to me. The only thing I can come up with for that is that the cuts were not bad enough to treat -- whether or not he had poison ivy. In my astute medical opinion, there would be no contraindication for treating "cuts" based on the fact that the comorbidity was the dermatological condition known commonly as "poison ivy". In other words, my BS detector is beeping. I am not sure what happened, but it was not that.

I sooooo agree!!

BBM...With all due respect, just because they have not shared the evidence with us, that does not mean they have not seen the evidence. To each their own, but when LE states pretty unequivically that he was trolling for somone, and that is released in MSM, I am willing to accept that, based on what they have seen, and based on their professional experience, that can be accepted as fact. JMO

In the press conference it was stated that 'maybe' he was looking for a victim.

In the press conference it was stated that 'maybe' he was looking for a victim.

Thank you for that. Perhaps I should have reread it rather than go on my recollection of what was saaid. If they did indeed say "maybe", I will concede that it is not definite, though I would still be willing to believe that they based that on behavior that would be consistent with someone trolling. Just for my info, how can I delete a post I make in a case such as this, or can I?

I have carried a mini box cutter for years in my purse or pocket. I chose it over a knife because if the razor blade-like sharpness. I feel I have a better chance at getting in a few good deep and sharp lacerations than a good stab. A stab takes more force and you get less stabs per minute!

Box cutters is what Mohammed Atta and his crew used to slash the throats of the flight crew so they could fly the plane into the World Trade Center.

YES, probably so! If he picked the bike up to dispose of it his injured finger could have left blood evidence. Wouldn't he have thought of that though?? As far as I can remember many news outlets reported the bike "partly submerged" there was mention of trash piles because of WB's reputation as a dump site, but I haven't read a single report alleging the bike placed in the garbage piles. Someone please post a link to support the bike NOT being found in water. I sure it was reported "partly submerged." And that would probably lead him to believe prints and DNA might wash away if the bike were found. Seems pretty dumb to touch the bike with your bare bloody hand and toss it into a pile of trash...

The 'junk pile' comment was made by me; I didn't say that the bike wasn't submerged. I have family and friends who dock their boats at WB and who know the Atchafalaya Basin like the back of their hand. Cajunnet hasn't been wrong yet ;)

Box cutters were used in the killing of passengers and flight attendants during the 9/11 high-jacking.

Thank you for that. Perhaps I should have reread it rather than go on my recollection of what was saaid. If they did indeed say "maybe", I will concede that it is not definite, though I would still be willing to believe that they based that on behavior that would be consistent with someone trolling. Just for my info, how can I delete a post I make in a case such as this, or can I?

NM..I figured it out and deleted the post...while I still tend to believe they have every reason to believe that he was trolling for someone, I never want to be accused of misstating facts.

Me either. I think he planned it out and was "trolling" for a victim.
(was he in the area because he knew a girl would be some where on a bike alone at that hour) probaby...
Had he not ended up on camera or getting stabbed, he might have gotten away with it!
~moo
This article mentions a stressful "event" triggering them...
http://policelink.monster.com/train...tors-first-step-in-violent-offender-profiling

I agree...the camera footage looks like he's riding around aimlessly in circles looking for someone. Also, his dad was ill which may have been the trigger. I know for a fact that people who are bullied have a tendecy to freak out when they lose control of things because so many bad things happened to them that were beyond their control. It's a possibility when his dad became ill he felt out of control and had the need to control someone else. JMO

Took me a while to read through, but here's what I'm thinking: (and I know a lot of this is from a few pages back)

The dry paper tape white out is not hard to remove, so I'm thinking that's what he possibly used. Just scrape it off when it's time to check in with the sheriff's office.
Also, we don’t know that the SO didn’t question the cuts on his hands that he allegedly had, but they seem like they could be fairly easy to explain. “I cut myself at work. ~ I cut myself fixing my old cars in the back yard.” Etc…

As someone that works at a heliport, I know that TWIC cards are not required for all locations. And someone many many pages ago said something about bags being screened-- that doesn’t happen always. Again, that’s because it's not required by the customer.

Welcome to WS SafetyStac - good first post #1436. I've snipped and some BBM a couple of your items.

SafetyStac said:
~I'm very curious as to how he was paying for all of this. He would have needed to stop MANY times for fuel, bathroom breaks, food, drinks etc in his many travels. Being a possibly bloody mess - from lacerations - and dirty from sweating and possibly being in the woods, it seems that people would have noticed that.

~I've read he had a bed cover on his truck. Don't have a link to verify that as fact, but if he did, the handling of a bike and or a person would have been much more difficult. They don't raise up very high and even with a tailgate down, everything is done horizontally vs. throwing something in the back of an open pickup bed.

~when buying a vehicle, even a used one, in this case a newer model Z71, it would cost a lot of money. If he financed it, it would take hours if not days for a loan to be approved. If he paid cash for the full amount, it would have to be verified if over $10,000.
This is all speculation on my part, and only my opinion. Thanks. :)

All good points SafetyStac.

@ GrannyA, thank you for the map you posted. I did the walkie man and agree that would be an area to search. I saw Dene Colomb's cross and bear. This area is isolated and off the beaten path.

@Ktgirl, your post that suggests BSL was maybe a DTL fan, piqued my interest. If (note I say if) BSL had been involved in any other cases/involved with grabs & kills, he very well may have been very attuned to DTL cases. Birds of a feather.... as they say. Thanks for the link to other older unsolved cases. Goodness there has been several cases of this nature in that part of the state.

I would like to know any verified reports/information on the whole TX issue of this case. Would assume BSL drove the DWT to Tx (what date?); supposedly BSL reported the DWT stolen in TX (date? stolen from where?). Where was he staying while there? Then he must have gotten from the burn site to somewhere, then back to home (how?) I've read lots of speculations and rumors but...... Do we have any facts on this whole trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa