WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the hatch windshield was covered with mud splatter is it possible she opened the hatch to look out to see what was going on out there?

I wanted to post some reflective thoughts:

Today I drove from north Seattle area to Port Orchard to meet someone (to look at a potential dog).

I didn't realize until I looked at a map of where I was going that I'd be driving some of the same area that she did and that I would be right at Fox Island where they found little Az. I was right there - I could see where it happened.

I was reflective and thinking about the family and the pain they are suffering. I guess I was focusing too much on the other facts of the situation (which are very important), but had the opportunity to really 'feel' the reality being there where he was found and being near where everything happened.

I got to look at the canals (while I was driving) and they are large enough for the outcome of where Az ended up; they are actually quite wide. I would say several hundred feet if not more like 1000.

When I was driving home, there was the most beautiful full rainbow - bright as can be, over the area.

Bless the family, friends and everyone affected.

I would also like to know the water temp, if anyone knows.

Water temperature in Puget Sound is about 45 degrees. Outside temperature that night was 32 degrees.

The water is cold enough to literally take your breath away (summer and winter I might add).

Has it been determined the two shoes found were actualy being worn by the two victims?

Shoes showing up that quickly on a beach so close would tell me, if they were wearing them, that they drown at the same time.

I would also like to know the water temp, if anyone knows.

The video showed the boy wearing running shoes, I believe they were white.

No, not at all. I just think for some reason she didn't plan on going to Castle Rock right away. I don't know the agenda, but I think that she didn't intend to go and especially not meet RS there.

A lot of alcoholics will do that - make excuses to not be around people they know when they want to binge drink. Although, I guess her son was used to seeing her doing it, at least in the past. But I think she wanted to be off the radar for the night and didn't bring her phone so she had an excuse for not being available to reach.

I got it - that makes sense! This case is so tragic, guess she felt there was no one to talk to or be with since relapsing. moo

Thanks jmarple, then these shoes simply floated out of the van and they were not wearing them.

I haven't heard any of the interviews yet. SIA. But, do we know why she borrowed her fiance's minivan?

I am tracking with the people who think she did not want him to meet her there much less come along for the ride. Did she borrow it perhaps thinking he would not come then?
Did he take hers? What sense does that make for them to switch vehicles?

The leaving cell phone behind seems premeditated to keep her in control of when she made calls. But, no one could call her. Just pondering the circumstances.

Boy scout motto is "Be prepared". Leaving that cell phone home certainly blows scout training out the window.

What's incomprehensible to me is that, knowing SS is/was a recovering alcoholic, RS took SS on a "wine-tasting trip" to Oregon. Did he enjoy himself while she struggled with her demons?

How supportive of him - treating her to a "vacation" in wine country. And now he's suffering a "serious health problem" - according to what he admittedly self-diagnosed on the internet.

Does anyone think RS had anything to do with the death of Az and the almost certain death of SS?

If not, then why are we sleuthing him?

On another topic. I was thinking about the appearance of the windshield. You could see where she used the wipers to clear the sand off after driving around. The photos were unclear but I couldn't make out from the overhead shots of tracks anywhere where the van got stuck and she was digging out a hole with the tires spinning them.

So the dirt may have splattered spinning the donuts? Did the van not get immersed all the way above the windshield. With the force of water everyone is talking about I am surprised that it is clearly shown where the mud was and the wipers cleared. This would indicate a good period of drying on before the water mark got that high.

On the other hand - she willingly accompanied him on the wine tasting holiday. She could have said "no thanks."

How long do you think it would take to actually walk away from the van to dry land? Of course it was too dark to really see where they were going. But cold water causing unconsciousness in 15 minutes is making me wonder if they were just in the water too long.
Those keys out of the ignition are puzzling. Wasn't she running the heater from time to time.

Does anyone think RS had anything to do with the death of Az and the almost certain death of SS?

In my case I am not sleuthing the guy and do not think he had anything to do with their disappearance directly. I am trying to get into the mind of SS.
to try to understand her actions that evening. It has to do with her mental state concerning him. I see clear signs of avoidance. He is a victim of circumstance as far as I am concerned.

On another topic. I was thinking about the appearance of the windshield. You could see where she used the wipers to clear the sand off after driving around. The photos were unclear but I couldn't make out from the overhead shots of tracks anywhere where the van got stuck and she was digging out a hole with the tires spinning them.

So the dirt may have splattered spinning the donuts? Did the van not get immersed all the way above the windshield. With the force of water everyone is talking about I am surprised that it is clearly shown where the mud was and the wipers cleared. This would indicate a good period of drying on before the water mark got that high.

The articles I've read said the tide didn't get any higher than "the top of the seats."

It's been assumed that the sand on the windshield was due to the front tires spinning trying to get unstuck.

But it's also possible that the sand on the windshield was flung there by spinning donuts, since there were those circular patterns in the sand.

It's been said that maybe she did that to entertain Az & make him laugh.

Maybe she did that for another reason?

I think, when it comes down to it, that we're sleuthing him because he enabled her and didn't intervene when he saw a problem. Whether that be her leaving without him or just in general.

I think, when it comes down to it, that we're sleuthing him because he enabled her and didn't intervene when he saw a problem. Whether that be her leaving without him or just in general.

You know both of these things how exactly? Really, I'm curious how you know that he didn't confront her about her drinking at some point.

The articles I've read said the tide didn't get any higher than "the top of the seats."

It's been assumed that the sand on the windshield was due to the front tires spinning trying to get unstuck.

But it's also possible that the sand on the windshield was flung there by spinning donuts, since there were those circular patterns in the sand.

Some other posters commented that maybe she did that to entertain Az & make him laugh.

Maybe she did that for another reason?

I am going back to look at the photos of the car before it was moved. But I don't recall the tires looking dug in. It's a front wheel drive vehicle, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa