WA WA - Shantina Smiley, 29, & Azriel Carver, 8 (fnd deceased), Olympia, Mar 2010 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
bbm

She was more than likely intoxicated, so her decision making was very impaired. You take more risks,your judgement is not good. She is a good example of the consequences and the effect of driving drunk.

Your point is well taken RubyRed: Most of the information out there is how an alcoholic can murder others on the road - others meaning innocent drivers who are simply trying to get from one place to another.

Rare is it you see cases where an alcoholic also murders people in his/her own family - neglect little ones, and make judgments based on the love of booze rather than the love of the child. If left untreated, the alcoholic will die - it's unconscionable that he/she takes family or others along. MOO

Well said, she is responsible for his death. She alone made the fateful decisions.

I would like to throw a theory out there.

What if she went to another home or business to ask for directions, again. What if she got the attention of some unsavory criminals?

The criminals saw the opportunity and highjacked her van, and after assaulting her they disposed of both in the water some place West not far from Fox Island?

They then donned gloves and drove the van to the place it was found (a place they had been before - a poacher perhaps?) and one of them followed in a car. They opened the door and hatchback to make the van sink.

They then took a few items from the van and deposited them where they thought they would be found and recovered, to further throw off LE.

They then went their own way.

This would explain...

1. The van backing up into a difficult-to-find road, specially for someone who is not from the area. I mean, she couldn't even find the highway across the street.

2. AC's body being found so far away from the van. Incoming tide wouldn't have receded so swiftly that searchers on air, boats, and foot couldn't spot his body the morning he was reported missing.

3. All items very conveniently found 1/4 mile away in one single area.

4. The van being backed into the water with hatchback and window open.

5. The keys left over the dashboard, kinda an "abandoning" sign. If she fled the van, why leave the key? She knew someone could've stolen it with the key over the dashboard.

6. The fact that her purse was missing but not her wallet. She knew where the wallet was, why not take it?

7. The reason why the dogs did not find her scent away from the car, even in the water.

8. The reason why her son's shirt was over his head, maybe they did that to not look at his face while they either assaulted the mother or threw the boy in the water.

This is just another theory.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, the hinky I feel about the BF has clouded all my judgment and common sense.

:)

Hello, everyone; new here! I've been lurking these threads and site, but never hard the nerve to post until now.

I'm new to this posting business, so please be patient with me! Thanks.

How or why Shantina Smiley drove the minivan to the secluded beach, I don't know, but I've been trying to figure out what happened once she got there.

So she ends up at that beach. Things go from bad to worse when the minivan gets stuck as she drives on the sand. She doesn't realize the danger with the tides, and thinks she'll wait in the car until morning to get help getting the car unstuck.

She turns off the engines, and places the keys on the dash. She stays in the driver's seat to sleep, and maybe Azriel went to lay down on the rear bench seat.

Then perhaps they awoke to water seeping into the interior. Don't know what time, but It was still pitch dark. (Was it foggy, as well?) She decides they need to get out of the car---now.

I don't know how the minivan's doors open, so maybe I'm off here. Is the control buttons to open the automatic-opening doors on the driver's door or dash area? Will these doors open without the key being in the ignition?

With me thinking that you can, perhaps she wanted to open the side sliding door to escape the car, but fumbled in her haste and panic, and pushed the hatch button instead, in error. (Just trying to explain why the hatch was found open.) That being the wrong one, she pushed the correct button to open the side sliding door.

I was thinking she'd want to go out the side door because it is the widest, and then she could try to exit with her son easier.

She and Azriel stepped out, but the currents pulled them out, where they both drowned, sadly.

She did other puzzling things along the way, though, such as leaving before receiving her paid-for food, for one. Still can't figure out a reason for that one; that's quite odd.

Sheesh, if I paid for my food, I'd not leave without it! ;)

I didn't mean to be. I was alerting him to check his messages. I was something that I had posted to the forum before, but then was alerted to the fact that it was probably not appropriate for the public forum. Sorry you took it that way, again.

Don't feel bad - I've made the mistake of asking someone to check their PM's as well. And was promptly warned by a mod that it's strictly prohibited (it is in the TOS). Just one of the rules here... Shake it off and carry on. :)

Hello, everyone; new here! I've been lurking these threads and site, but never hard the nerve to post until now.

I'm new to this posting business, so please be patient with me! Thanks.

How or why Shantina Smiley drove the minivan to the secluded beach, I don't know, but I've been trying to figure out what happened once she got there.

So she ends up at that beach. Things go from bad to worse when the minivan gets stuck as she drives on the sand. She doesn't realize the danger with the tides, and thinks she'll wait in the car until morning to get help getting the car unstuck.

She turns off the engines, and places the keys on the dash. She stays in the driver's seat to sleep, and maybe Azriel went to lay down on the rear bench seat.

Then perhaps they awoke to water seeping into the interior. Don't know what time, but It was still pitch dark. (Was it foggy, as well?) She decides they need to get out of the car---now.

I don't know how the minivan's doors open, so maybe I'm off here. Is the control buttons to open the automatic-opening doors on the driver's door or dash area? Will these doors open without the key being in the ignition?

With me thinking that you can, perhaps she wanted to open the side sliding door to escape the car, but fumbled in her haste and panic, and pushed the hatch button instead, in error. (Just trying to explain why the hatch was found open.) That being the wrong one, she pushed the correct button to open the side sliding door.

I was thinking she'd want to go out the side door because it is the widest, and then she could try to exit with her son easier.

She and Azriel stepped out, but the currents pulled them out, where they both drowned, sadly.

She did other puzzling things along the way, though, such as leaving before receiving her paid-for food, for one. Still can't figure out a reason for that one; that's quite odd.

Sheesh, if I paid for my food, I'd not leave without it! ;)
Yes, that pretty much fits all. I think she may have been taking meds or something for stress which disoriented her: Thus, the strange behavior. There is no answer to this, but in the grand scheme of things, why did she have to have such incredibly bad luck? Yes, she did wrong things, foolish and careless things, and was irresponsible. But many of us did in our 20s (I shudder to look back on some of the chances my sisters and I took, when we were still screwed up from our less than stellar upbringing, and one of us had a child then, in the early '80s). To wind up THIS badly, to have her hard work making honors in college, and all the good she did for the boy, wind up THIS badly. I think that is what haunts me. Many will not agree, I know....

Hi Everybody - thank you all so much for following Shantina and Azriel's case. It is an interesting case and I wish Shantina would be found.

This thread is getting long so I'm going to open a new thread and have this one locked.

I do want to remind everyone that Websleuths is a victim friendly forum. All posting done about any family members or friends should be done with sensitivity and respect. In almost all cases - we do not blame the victim or the family unless LE or the mainstream media give us reason too.

An alcoholic is an alcoholic, is an alcoholic. It is very difficult to expect an alcoholic to behave the way you might want them too. Just doesn't happen like that.

Salem

I would like to throw a theory out there.

What if she went to another home or business to ask for directions, again. What if she got the attention of some unsavory criminals?

The criminals saw the opportunity and highjacked her van, and after assaulting her they disposed of both in the water some place West not far from Fox Island?

They then donned gloves and drove the van to the place it was found (a place they had been before - a poacher perhaps?) and one of them followed in a car. They opened the door and hatchback to make the van sink.

They then took a few items from the van and deposited them where they thought they would be found and recovered, to further throw off LE.

They then went their own way.

This would explain...

1. The van backing up into a difficult-to-find road, specially for someone who is not from the area. I mean, she couldn't even find the highway across the street.

2. AC's body being found so far away from the van. Incoming tide wouldn't have receded so swiftly that searchers on air, boats, and foot couldn't spot his body the morning he was reported missing.

3. All items very conveniently found 1/4 mile away in one single area.

4. The van being backed into the water with hatchback and window open.

5. The keys left over the dashboard, kinda an "abandoning" sign. If she fled the van, why leave the key? She knew someone could've stolen it with the key over the dashboard.

6. The fact that her purse was missing but not her wallet. She knew where the wallet was, why not take it?

7. The reason why the dogs did not find her scent away from the car, even in the water.

8. The reason why her son's shirt was over his head, maybe they did that to not look at his face while they either assaulted the mother or threw the boy in the water.

This is just another theory.

I'm not sure how I feel about this, the hinky I feel about the BF has clouded all my judgment and common sense.

:)
Well, this is unlikely, but it is NOT impossible, there is always a chance that this happened. Who knows, perhaps something will come out to point in that direction, in the future? It is unlikely, but stranger things have happened. In your scenario, are you thinking she was raped and murdered first? And why not take the wallet and credit cards? Did not see them? and the motive would be the young woman? It IS possible. What if she turns up with signs of this?

That model has keyless entry, does it also come with keyless ignition?

ETA: just to clarify... my car has this; as long as the keys are in the front compartment, the car will start. I've owned the car for almost 3 years now and have never put the keys in the ignition. They stay in my purse, pocket, or in the center console.

If that is the case, then she could very well have had the engine running with the heat one.

I'm just catching up - sorry if this has already been covered. I can't imagine that they would stay in the car with no heat.

Regarding the potential DUI due to the keys: If the car did have this feature then it doesn't seem to be relevant to her not having the keys in the ignition due to avoidance of DUI.

Being a Scout leader, she would have know to honk like crazy - even Az would have known that. IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven