The Responsibilities of the University and Threat Assessment

How people are treated when failing school or being terminated from a job is still important. Policy is one thing, but I think any university or corporation should be aware of the growing number of people not taking being let go in stride. Exactly what did they do to prevent. They haven't told us enough yet.

FWIW -

""He had, as is now common knowledge, excellent academic credentials," said Barry Shur, dean of the university's graduate program."

Source

per the withdrawal process, an approval of the dean is necessary, if Barry shur thinks he is excellent on academic credentials then i think he'll be stepping up to understand more why this guy is dropping

After the census date (see current academic calendar for census date), through the 10th week (fifth week for summer) students must submit a withdrawal form with the approval of the dean and the Office of Financial Aid.
http://catalog.ucdenver.edu/content.php?catoid=1&navoid=25#withdrawal

How people are treated when failing school or being terminated from a job is still important. Policy is one thing, but I think any university or corporation should be aware of the growing number of people not taking being let go in stride. Exactly what did they do to prevent. They haven't told us enough yet.

He wasn't terminated. He voluntarily withdraw.
Nothing came out to contradict that. Was anyone supposed to run behind him begging him to not go?

He wasn't terminated. He voluntarily withdraw.
Nothing came out to contradict that. Was anyone supposed to run behind him begging him to not go?

You want to make every possible effort to stop someone you know is acting uncommonly strange from escalating to violence especially when as a university you're aware of all the school shootings. This isn't the old days. To be clear, I don't buy that he just voluntarily withdrew just because the school or media says so.

I can translate BS, I learned it on a ROsetta Stone DVD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Campus leaders Cover THeir *advertiser censored** FIndings due in 2033!

:waitasec:

Also of note ... how most of the articles that I've read stated it as, "JH was going through the process of withdrawing". That seems to me as if the university officials didn't wish to provide a clear date. How was he going through the process if he hadn't even provided a reason why. Or if he had just dropped out.

The only clear date I've seen, regarding his withdrawing from school (and I'd probably have to search for it), was that JH was no longer allowed access to the secured buildings as of June 12th.

Gotta run. My hinky alarm is going off, again. JMO
How was he going through the process if he hadn't even provided a reason why. Or if he had just dropped out.

From the beginning it seemed to me that he was told he would not be allowed back or to put it more bluntly, cause of his increasingly problematic behavior , and poor kid was so lost they told him to just withdraw (saved them all kinds of problems that they now are experiecing) cause the kid went out to a batman movie with some serious guns......

he suddenly told the university that he was dropping out of the neurosciences doctoral program with no explanation

The university claims he suddenly told the university that he was dropping out of the neurosciences doctoral program with no explanation

My calendar says June 10 is Sunday

HA! Brillant catch!

maybe they were subtily trying to get him to leave

or not allowing him back they pulled his key cards pretty urgently according to all accounts

humm

sounds like getting fired to me!

People do not just drop out of grad school - very rare - people drop out of college, grad school diff unniverse ...............

I don't know much about grad school, but I am having a hard time with people saying you just don't drop out of grad school! I would think grad school would be super hard. The link that I posted in media about JH's grad's school and what exactly they do in that program....it was pretty detailed. It seemed extremely hard and very time consuming. Actually sounded like you don't have much of a life.

Sure maybe most don't drop out, but I bet there are people that drop out.

Most (IMO) young people now have this mind set where they think they are all the best at everything. They are all winners. None of these kids are learning how to deal with rejection or losing. All the way back from his younger years, everybody describes him as being super smart. He was probably told that his whole life. You know what? Sometimes the real world will knock you down a few pegs. Maybe he learned there were other kids just as smart if not smarter than him. Maybe he couldn't cope with the coarse load? Or just maybe he lost interest in school???

It's my thought and opinion.....I believe he just thought everybody else was stupid.
Grad school is so diff from college you spend a year 18 months just getting yourself presentable to see if they will even let you apply for a slot. It is the opposite, the ones that get in have already demenstrated such capacities, motivation etc.

The screening is the opposite of college - you must prove to them you can do what is needed before they give away one of the slots.

Kinda like a senate hearing - you go before them in person, for hours, before they let you know if they are willing to take the time to review all your paper stuff -- it is one of those yeh we will possibly consider you --- well get back to you (in another half a year!)

Sounds like an excuse when all you can fall back on is "our hands were tied so don't blame us." That's what concerns me. He was cunning, clever, and dangerous. The situation perhaps required more from the university than what they actually did. Was locking the doors all they could do?

Instead the first reports we received were about how he didn't have to drop out. They could have worked with him to help him improve his exam performance which just doesn't feel like the whole story to me.

Think Watergate!

I think we're hearing 2 conflicting sets of evidence which is frustrating. On one hand there's the argument that "something was seriously amiss" and on the other "all was sudden and couldn't have been prevented or predicted." It will be interesting to see the findings from the UC internal investigation.

Seriously amiss evidence:
drastic change of appearance
shy, studious guy starts meeting with prostitutes
notebook (depending day received)
BETA team referral by doc
dropping out of grad school after only one year after working so hard to get there
etc.

Sudden and unpredictable:
Shy, quiet, kept to himself
dropping out could have been a normal reaction to failing the exam
etc.
a normal reaction to failing the exam
etc.

or deteriorating mental condition could have resulted in poor performance, bizairre behaviors, = get him out of here , we dont want to deal with a delusionial person who is scary and bizaire...........

Cariis see what you are saying.

If he emailed "I quit" on the 10th, they took keycards on 12th, not much talking/helping was going into keeping him in the program, as the school would like us to believe they would do.

receive a bunch of C's during fall and spring, that would say something!

You do not get c's in grad school!

I'm thinking of it like a rash that was being ignored until the arm fell off - maybe a bad example - need more coffee.

fab metaphor! you know I feel this way and have from day 1. this is not snap stuff this is a human being losing it and admin faculity and peers in grad school just not wanting to deal with MI (and if anything honest every comes from admin) IMO we are gonna be hearing from a lot a lot a lot of people who were very freightened of him ............

I assume he entered summer semester because of the dates of entry to the school..

If his grades was all A and B on 2 semesters and spring is all C and F, they why.... what happened to him..
what happened to him.. ...

he was becoming increainly delusionial, under more and more stress. James Holmes was not preparing for July 20, the Joker was. Conversly, the Joker does not care about grad school -- he is busy preparing for what the joker MUST do on July 20 when the movie sneaks..........................

what happened to him.. ...

he was becoming increainly delusionial, under more and more stress. James Holmes was not preparing for July 20, the Joker was. Conversly, the Joker does not care about grad school -- he is busy preparing for what the joker MUST do on July 20 when the movie sneaks..........................

do you think the Joker started preparing for the July 20 because he was expecting he will fail anyways since the beginning of Spring Semester? :what:

You want to make every possible effort to stop someone you know is acting uncommonly strange from escalating to violence especially when as a university you're aware of all the school shootings. This isn't the old days. To be clear, I don't buy that he just voluntarily withdrew just because the school or media says so.
I don't buy that he just voluntarily withdrew just because the school or media says so.

Me either never did not for a millisecond IMO, they told him to L E A V E

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back