NE - Omaha Double Murder #3 - *Arrest Made*

Thanks for the info snick. I have suspected he left CU under questionable circumstances. These types of things are usually handled 'in house' by universities so as to avoid negative publicity.

Many times, a positive recommendation is given for a troubled student to transfer to another university in order to get rid of the 'problem'. MB sure has skipped around ALOT in his collegiate career, which is hinky to me.

MOO

wm

There has to be more to his departure that we have been privy to. No University wants a scandal, particularly if it has dark and sinister overtones.

I believe he did. I am told that CU higher ups became concerned over some of the things he was doing in connection with autopsies. He apparently was taking his own pictures of at least one of them; a child I believe. Not sure if he felt this was for his own educational benefit or was trying to share them with others. He was apparently repremanded for that and it started things going downhill.
Please don't ask how In know this, but it was something I was told by someone who should know.

I've been a lurker on this site for a couple weeks since the case is back in the news and I believe I've read all posts in their entirety. My question to all: If we believe the knives were brought in by the killer, why did he bring TWO? Even assuming he KNEW two people were in the residence, he's not going to be stabbing both victims simultaneously. So what is the need for the second knife? OR, if only one were the target and the killer didn't expect the other to be there, again why the second knife?

Maybe he had several knives in the case. Perhaps, he wanted to use a separate knife on each victim to keep the blood on himself to a minimum.
Just a guess on my part.

I've been a lurker on this site for a couple weeks since the case is back in the news and I believe I've read all posts in their entirety. My question to all: If we believe the knives were brought in by the killer, why did he bring TWO? Even assuming he KNEW two people were in the residence, he's not going to be stabbing both victims simultaneously. So what is the need for the second knife? OR, if only one were the target and the killer didn't expect the other to be there, again why the second knife?

Welcome mac6831! Glad you joined the discussion.

This is all speculation.

Persons who are skilled with knives use different ones for different tasks. This includes chefs, martial arts experts, butchers, etc. I am not sure about pathologists but I feel that different knives are used for different tasks. (Perhaps someone with more knowledge can weigh in on this)

The only reason I can come up with is that this killer needed two knives to show off his skills. If it was premeditated, the maybe he knew in advance which knives he would need to be sure the wounds were fatal. Or perhaps he wished to inflict more pain or damage to one of the victims moreso than the other.

JMO

wm

I think the point the new poster was making was why bring two knives if as far as you know only one person is to be there? It is very likely he didn't know Shirlee was in that house until he got in; she parked in back out of sight and was not usually there on Thursdays. If he brought more than one knife that to me suggests someone who came to kill, not that there was some other purpose that went awry.
I still believe he was not let into the house; if he came to attack Tom he could assume he would not be let in by him, as most kids that stay home alone do not do that. He either entered via an unlocked door or had a key.
JMO

I believe he did. I am told that CU higher ups became concerned over some of the things he was doing in connection with autopsies. He apparently was taking his own pictures of at least one of them; a child I believe. Not sure if he felt this was for his own educational benefit or was trying to share them with others. He was apparently repremanded for that and it started things going downhill.
Please don't ask how In know this, but it was something I was told by someone who should know.[/QUOT E]

Snick, Snick, Snick,
The things you say and don't say are interesting and send my mind into overtime.
It is difficult to conceive of a good reason why someone would take pictures
During an autopsy unless they were for a criminal investIgation. They were probably taken without families permission. Most people want to remember their loves ones in life.

The following is copied from an article on the website, 'Truth not Tasers' and is in turn taken from an Alberta newspaper,m it is dated 2-17 and seems to be the latest on MB:

February 17, 2011
Alex Mccuaig, Medicine Hat News

A Calgary pathologist whose work is being called into question was involved in at least two investigations stemming from deaths in southeastern Alberta, the News confirmed Wednesday.

Concerns about the quality of Dr. Michael Belenky's work arose publicly after Calgary Police requested a review on Jan. 26 of one of the pathologist's reports.

Alberta Justice announced five days later that 12 cases handled by Belenky at Alberta Medical Examiners Office Calgary will be reviewed.

The News learned autopsies connected to the February 2010 alleged homicide of Morbe Buluk in Medicine Hat and the fatality of Grant Prentice, who died during an arrest in May 2009 in Brooks, were performed by Belenky.

Regarding Prentice's death, Cliff Purvis, director of the Alberta Serious Incident Response Team (ASIRT) — which investigates deaths involving police — said, "he was the medical examiner."

But Purvis added, "the findings of the medical examiner's office didn't rest solely on Dr. Belenky's opinion and won't affect the outcome of our file."

Died during arrest

Prentice, 40, died after Brooks RCMP officers used a Taser and physical force to subdue the man after witnesses reported he was acting erratically. The ASIRT investigation cleared Mounties of any wrongdoing, attributing the death to acute cocaine toxicity. Purvis stated the toxicology report wasn't conducted by Belenky.

"That was done by a separate expert in the medical examiner's office," Purvis said.

ASIRT's role, regardless of the ME's report, he added, is to investigate whether police committed any criminal offence. In this case, ASIRT found, police actions were justified.

"I'm not reopening the investigation because it has little impact on our case," said Purvis.

Informed of Belenky's connection to the investigation of his son's death, Bill Prentice said he suspected the pathologist's involvement in the file when Alberta Justice announced its review of Belenky's examinations. "It makes you wonder," said Prentice. "The whole thing sounds to me like it could have been a problem." He said he never had much faith in the report into his son's death. "We could have raised a bunch of hell but guess what's going to happen? Nothing... They'll deny everything no matter what.'

Anniversary Approaches

As she prepares to mourn the one-year anniversary of her son Morbe's death on Family Day, Stela Buluk said she feels lost without her boy. Morbe Buluk was involved in a physical altercation on the evening of Feb. 17, 2010 with a 26-year-old man in Medicine Hat. Afterwards, he made his way home but began to act erratically and the family contacted police. The 18-year-old was taken into custody and was examined by paramedics, according to Medicine Hat police, but was found in medical distress a few hours later in his cell on the morning of Feb. 18. He died three days later at a Calgary hospital. A Medicine Hat man is currently facing manslaughter charges in connection with this case. Buluk's mother said she was informed three weeks ago that the her son's autopsy will be reviewed. "I hope at the end they do the right thing," said Buluk, who emigrated from Sudan with her three children and husband in 2003. "I'm struggling. I feel like I'm stuck in one place and don't know what to do. You just lose a son like that and now you don't know what's going to happen. You don't know," said Buluk. That autopsy was conducted on Feb. 24, 2010. However, questions began to surface last December when a local defence lawyer told the court he hadn't received the ME's report nine months after the autopsy was completed.

Alberta Justice spokesperson David Deer said the department cannot currently comment on specific cases but said Belenky left the ME's office prior to the announcement of the review. Deer added Belenky's departure was not connected to the investigation. "The first goal of the review is to review every criminal file this pathologist worked on regardless of whether it involved a conviction or acquittal," said Deer. "We'll take whatever time necessary to do that," Deer said Belenky had the recognized qualifications to practise forensic pathology in the province and was licenced by the College of Physicians & Surgeons. "Dr. Belenky certainly did have the credentials as well as being licenced," said Deer.

Medicine Hat defence lawyer Bill *advertiser censored* said he has never seen the work of a pathologist called into question like this in his 35 years of practicing law in Alberta. "The pathologist in some kinds of murder cases is critical," said *advertiser censored*. "We can't put the pieces together ourselves and we rely on this person's expertise." He said evidence presented by a pathologist is rarely questioned. "Who's to challenge it? Most people don't have the resources to hire their own pathologist and conduct the examination or review the report to make their own determination."

Alberta Justice has announced it will launch fatality inquires for both Morbe Buluk and Grant Prentice but dates have yet to be set.

I think the point the new poster was making was why bring two knives if as far as you know only one person is to be there? It is very likely he didn't know Shirlee was in that house until he got in; she parked in back out of sight and was not usually there on Thursdays. If he brought more than one knife that to me suggests someone who came to kill, not that there was some other purpose that went awry.
I still believe he was not let into the house; if he came to attack Tom he could assume he would not be let in by him, as most kids that stay home alone do not do that. He either entered via an unlocked door or had a key.
JMO

Snick, I believe she was supposed to be there that day, just not that late, per Dr. Hunter's comment in that longer one-on-one interview in the World Herald from a couple years ago.

I'm very curious how MB would possibly get a job if it were true he took illicit photos, even if for no other purpose than educational.

I don't think CU would need to "get rid of the problem" by giving good recommendations. They can just fire him for cause. It's less trouble. I don't buy it. Obviously he had a problem with keeping a job, but I think this is just looking for a coverup where there isn't one. Just my personal opinion. Maybe he had a personal conflict with another resident, or the department head. Maybe I'm just being optimistic and agreeing with someone else that he's not the guy as much as I want him to be… but maybe the most obvious answer is the right one. Your sources are good!

Omaha, I used the term 'get rid of the problem' due to a case several years ago in NC. A troubled young man was kicked out of 2 universities due to behavior problems. At the third university he transferrred into, he murdered a young coed in her dorm room on whom he was fixated. The case was controversial enough that the NC University system changed it's practices regarding sharing student disciplinary records between colleges and universities within the state and set up a database. The troubled student would never have gained admittance to the third university and the murder of this young woman could have been prevented if the red flags were taken seriously.

My apologies if I sounded jaded in my post but these types of events can and should be prevented if attention is paid to the 'red flags' but the institutions don't always communicate such things, unfortunately.

Sadly, the disturbed young man hurled himself to death over a railing from an upper staircase while in prison.

I'll try and find some info if you like. I can't even remember the young man's name but my daughter will know as she was a news reporter at the time and covered the case.

My position is that Univerities compete for enrollment as education is a money making business, whether a public or private institution, and I understand that. I just wish the institutions would investigate a little deeper and flag applications of students who have a history of numerous transfers.

Hope this makes sense. I've the flu and on cold meds which is why I've refrained from posting much these past several days.

all MOO

wm

If Omaha LE went all the way to Calgary to question MB in connection with the Hunter/Sherman murders, why isn't the FBI still involved?

Sadly, I don't think this supposed lead is part of this horrific murder. I don't think this person is involved. Nice diversion, but not gonna happen. I want this horrific crime solved, but this is not going in the right direction.

I tend to think MB is not involved either as I thought it was mentioned LE ruled him out a couple years ago. Maybe his suspicious activity in Canada have made them take a second look. It appears they have also ruled out any "gaming" connection to Tommy. Oh, how frusterating without any facts! Since the 3rd anniversary is approaching, let's hope LE or reporters provide the public with more information. I would like to hear from the neighbors again.

My prayers are with the Hunter and Sherman families and that these horrible murders will eventually be solved. God speed to LE as well.

I tend to agree with you about MB since LE has not made any moves to arrest him. And I, too, would like to hear more from the neighbors. I find it so strange that news reporters haven't gone out and interviewed the neighbors and reported on what they had to say. I've always wondered how many (if more than one) saw the supposed stranger and the gray SUV. I've also wondered why, if they found it strange that a man parked his SUV and went into the Hunter home, they didn't make note of what time he left.

I tend to think MB is not involved either as I thought it was mentioned LE ruled him out a couple years ago. Maybe his suspicious activity in Canada have made them take a second look. It appears they have also ruled out any "gaming" connection to Tommy. Oh, how frusterating without any facts! Since the 3rd anniversary is approaching, let's hope LE or reporters provide the public with more information. I would like to hear from the neighbors again.

My prayers are with the Hunter and Sherman families and that these horrible murders will eventually be solved. God speed to LE as well.

If Omaha LE went all the way to Calgary to question MB in connection with the Hunter/Sherman murders, why isn't the FBI still involved?

I have questioned this in my own mind as well, YD. We really have no way of knowing FBI's involvement at this point. I do feel that FBI must be involved to some extent since this case reaches beyond US borders. But that is JMO.

wm

Bumping up in memory of Thomas Hunter and Shirlee Sherman as we approach the 3 year anniversary of these senseless murders.

I hope the media gives an update on the case, even if it's to say that OPD is back to square one.

I wonder how closely OPD communicates with the victim's families? Some Law Enforcement agencies share with the families while others do not based on my researching cases here on WS. It really doesn't have any impact on the case I guess, but my curiosity makes me wonder if the families are as uninformed and frustrated as we are.

MOO

wm

I still wish we knew more about what was going on in Calgary. The good news
is that if they decided not to call one of our suspicious characters to testify in the
botched autopsy cases, they must know where he is. I haven't heard a really good
argument about why he should be taken off our list of possible perpetrators other than
"gut feelings."

I still wish we knew more about what was going on in Calgary. The good news
is that if they decided not to call one of our suspicious characters to testify in the
botched autopsy cases, they must know where he is. I haven't heard a really good
argument about why he should be taken off our list of possible perpetrators other than
"gut feelings."

Agreed. I have been trying to check Calgary media, on line newspapers and also keep tuning in to their news stations via the internet. The story there has faded out, just like it has here. Since it was getting good play there previously I now wonder if this isn't the calm before the storm.
Speaking just for myself this man is very high on my list of suspects. He would have had the skill to carry out knife murders without leaving a lot behind and so far as we know may have had some motivation.
I do think the authorities know where he is, I'd bet he is being watched in case he decides to run. I'd also bet a lot is going on out of sight of the public.

For what it is worth here is a link to a short discussion of the crime I found on a previously unknown website:

http://www.johndouglasmindhunter.co...iew=next&sid=da9edc4c6bdc1f4cbff1bffd3be70a19

Agreed. I have been trying to check Calgary media, on line newspapers and also keep tuning in to their news stations via the internet. The story there has faded out, just like it has here. Since it was getting good play there previously I now wonder if this isn't the calm before the storm.
Speaking just for myself this man is very high on my list of suspects. He would have had the skill to carry out knife murders without leaving a lot behind and so far as we know may have had some motivation.
I do think the authorities know where he is, I'd bet he is being watched in case he decides to run. I'd also bet a lot is going on out of sight of the public.

~above respectfully BBM~

I agree Snick. He is on the top of my list of suspects. I think LE has known about him for awhile. One of our very own WS posters eluded to a Russian way back on the previous thread. I think this investigation is taking awhile due to MB living across the border in Canada.

I don't know that OPD would expend the money and resources to travel across the border without reasonable suspicion. JMO.

wm

* I'm copying part of an article I found:

A neighbor of the Hunters', who spoke on the condition of not being named,reported seeing a shorts-clad Thomas Hunter coming home as usual Thursday, getting off his school bus in front of the family's home just before 3 p.m.

About 3:20 p.m., the same neighbor saw a car moving conspicuously down the street, starting and stopping as if the driver were looking for an address. The driver was a dark-haired man with olive skin, and his car had pink- or peach-colored license plates.

The same neighbor spoke with two other neighbors who saw the same man. One of them saw him wearing a black coat and carrying a briefcase and walking up to the house. He was let in the door by the housecleaner.

The man later was seen by another neighbor walking back to his car, which was parked nearby. He did not seem to be uncomfortable or in a hurry.

* I have always wondered how many neighbors were witnesses and according to his article, there were at least four. I wonder if any think MB is the person they saw that day?

* I'm copying part of an article I found:

A neighbor of the Hunters', who spoke on the condition of not being named,reported seeing a shorts-clad Thomas Hunter coming home as usual Thursday, getting off his school bus in front of the family's home just before 3 p.m.

About 3:20 p.m., the same neighbor saw a car moving conspicuously down the street, starting and stopping as if the driver were looking for an address. The driver was a dark-haired man with olive skin, and his car had pink- or peach-colored license plates.

The same neighbor spoke with two other neighbors who saw the same man. One of them saw him wearing a black coat and carrying a briefcase and walking up to the house. He was let in the door by the housecleaner.The man later was seen by another neighbor walking back to his car, which was parked nearby. He did not seem to be uncomfortable or in a hurry.

* I have always wondered how many neighbors were witnesses and according to his article, there were at least four. I wonder if any think MB is the person they saw that day?

I've always questioned how a neighbor could see who let the stranger in unless they were standing on the Hunter's sidewalk. The Hunter house in photos looks as if it sits a good distance from the street. I would like to know exactly where the SUV was parked in reference to the Hunter home.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back