Deceased/Not Found AZ - Jhessye Shockley, 5, Glendale, 11 Oct 2011 - #1 *J. Hunter guilty*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure they took the Grandmother's comment totally out of context.. I mean, she said it as she's standing on a street corner handing out flyers looking for Jahessye?
This entire case is parallel to baby Aliayah...
She supposedly walked out the front door
CPS involved previously
Kids taken away currently
Mom is pregnant yet AGAIN! ugh...

Thinking of you baby girl.. :rose:

:maddening: I think that race plays a definite factor in the case of national news media showcasing missing children. There are several I can think of right now that indicate this. However, I wonder if in this case as well as Aliayah, the media have "convicted" the parents, so they are not paying as much attention. Either way - it is just wrong!! These beautiful children are missing and need to be found!! :maddening:

Aliayah is white and isn't getting the coverage baby Lisa is either. I don't think race has anything to do with it.
I think given the mom's abuse history and the removal of the other children from the home, a lot of people are assuming mom did something to her...People in the neighborhood, LE, media outlets etc...
If you notice up thread one of the articles nurse quoted from said that "Police said they no longer think the little girl wandered out of her home."

MOO

Jahessye's case is not the only one which has not gone national.

Aliayah Lunsford's case barely has local coverage!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What drives the media to pursue one case vs. another is a very frustrating topic. Marc Klaas discussed this in a blog entry not too long ago.

I think LE is doing a good job. Period, end of story.

When children disappear attention always falls squarely on the shoulders of the family. This is because 82% of all abductions are family centric. Therefore, the family has to answer all questions, regardless of how tedious they seem, until law enforcement is convinced that they are innocent of wrongdoing. Only then will law enforcement be able to focus their full attention on the other possible scenarios. Those scenarios include: other family members; friends and neighbors; peripheral contacts; registered sex offenders; and finally the most ominous scenario of all – stranger abduction. If more than 300 police, search and rescue professionals and FBI agents are dedicating all of their time in the case of the missing infant, then the parents should stay on the hot seat until they are cleared of suspicion.

Kidnapping is local and times are tough. Law enforcement will investigate as long as tips come in and the investigation moves forward. But, unless the public demands their full attention they will drift off to other cases and other crimes. If the parents of the missing child are not front and center on the local television screen recruiting public support, the fragile coalition of trust that includes law enforcement, media, the public and the family can crumble like a house of cards.
http://theklaasact.blogspot.com/2011/10/strange-case-of-baby-lisa.html
More at link-

Aliayah is white and isn't getting the coverage baby Lisa is either. I don't think race has anything to do with it.
I think given the mom's abuse history and the removal of the other children from the home, a lot of people are assuming mom did something to her...People in the neighborhood, LE, media outlets etc...
If you notice up thread one of the articles nurse quoted from said that "Police said they no longer think the little girl wandered out of her home."

MOO

I was just thinking last night how pitiful $11,000 looks compared to the $100,000 someone is offering in Lisa Irwin's case. I do think, however, that Lisa's case is getting a lot of coverage right now b/c the story is so odd, kwim? A baby taken out of the crib with three other people in the house vs a 5-yr-old running out the door by herself and disappearing. MOO

I pray that you are safe, Jahessye...

:praying:

:maddening: I think that race plays a definite factor in the case of national news media showcasing missing children. There are several I can think of right now that indicate this. However, I wonder if in this case as well as Aliayah, the media have "convicted" the parents, so they are not paying as much attention. Either way - it is just wrong!! These beautiful children are missing and need to be found!! :maddening:

ITA, it is very wrong, no matter how you look at it.:furious:

I think that if we look at the statistics they'd indicate that cases not involving a white child/family/victim are less likely to receive extensive or any media coverage.

Regarding the mom's possible guilt and how that could be a factor in national news attention... there are angles that could be used to present a story about Jahessye like the delay in putting the Amber Alert up in the beginning and the CPS involvement in the home prior to this happening.

I think that LE is doing a good job with this investigation. I've wondered if the Amber Alert couldn't go up until they had a report that a vehicle was involved. Then again, to tell you the truth I don't know the specifics about when LE received the eye witness report of the possible vehicle involvement and at what point LE finally issued the Amber Alert. No doubt about it though, these would all make great topics for articles and/or further digging for the media.

And if this story did make it to NG, she would have a field day with the mom's prior history abusing her children. At the end of the show people would be more convinced (if that's possible) that Jayhessye's mom is responsible for her disappearance.

The grandmother of a missing toddler from Glendale plans to march at the state Capitol in Phoenix on Thursday in an attempt to draw national attention to the disappearance of her 5-year-old granddaughter.
Jahessye Shockley was reported missing by her family Oct. 11 from their apartment near 45th and Glendale avenues. Glendale police say they have no clear answers at this point as to whether she was abducted.
Shirley Johnson, Jahessye's grandmother, met with the police chief, mayor and city manager of Glendale on Wednesday night to express her frustration about the investigation.

Johnson also plans on buying a camcorder so she can put videos on YouTube about her granddaughter's disappearance.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/12news/new...le-missing-girl-march-abrk.html#ixzz1bMyFy7wq

------

The family of a missing girl from Glendale plans to go to the State Capitol to get more help in the search.

5-year-old Jahessye Shockley has been missing since October 11.

On Wednesday, her grandmother, Shirley Johnson, met with Glendale's Mayor and Police Chief. She wants the rest of the nation to be aware of Jahessye's disappearance.

"Children are transported across the globe in seven days," said Johnson.

Johnson, neighbors, family members rallied outside the State Capitol Thursday in hopes of garnering national attention to Shockley's disappearance. They say Glendale Police abandoned them -- and they believe their race and socio-economic background are factors.
http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/local/shockley-case-10202011

I don't know who's to blame but where's the media coverage? What is LE saying and what are they doing? Not implying they aren't searching diligently for her. Just that we aren't seeing or hearing about it.

Its a big world for such a little girl. Please, please, bring her back!

My prayers are with Jahessye and her family...................

"Police believe that Jhessye left the home through the front door but don’t know what happened next."

Interesting how the media has reported everything from LE thinks it is a kidnapping to LE thinks Jahessye never left the apartment to the above statement.

bbm

Hi there, Daisy... I haven't read/heard that yet. Has LE said that? Then that's discouraging because that means they really just don't know anything if they're leaving it wide open. :(

If I lived closer instead of across the country, I'd march with her grandmother.

Just turned on the TV and the news is saying they are going to be running a story that there was a strange car in Jahessye's neighborhood.

-spoke to a parent who's child went to school with J.
-in the days before J. was abducted her school sent out a letter to parents about a SO who had been at the school (he was caught)
-One day before the disappearance n. on 45th Ave a man in a Gold Ford Explorer very fast through the school zone and tried to talk to at least two groups of children
-everyone in the neighborhood knows that the Malibu like the one reported to be seen by the eyewitness is a woman who picks up children for sunday school

I can't find it yet, but I'll put up the entire clip when I get it because there was more to it. I just thought that the above info was interesting.

bbm

Hi there, Daisy... I haven't read/heard that yet. Has LE said that? Then that's discouraging because that means they really just don't know anything if they're leaving it wide open. :(

If I lived closer instead of across the country, I'd march with her grandmother.

It was in an article somewhere up thread. It stuck out for me because someone else commented on how it looks like LE thinks that the mom did it which surprised me because before an article had said that LE thought Jahessye had been kidnapped.

It was when we were discussing the lack of media attention, I'll go and try to find it

EDIT: I looked real quick and didn't see it, but whoever commented on it said something to the effect of police think that the mom did it (based on that article), so it makes sense that national media isn't picking the story up. I'm pretty sure it was when we were discussing the lack of national media attention, does anyone remember that post?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member