ID ID - Stephanie Crane, 9, Challis, 11 Oct 1993

I had a theory and it may even be farfetched, but say that the person who took her was neither a murderer or a pedophile. What if they were into selling children? Like private adoptions?
Normally kidnappers will strip people of their identity when they're going into the slave trade. But if she was just set up as an illegal adoption it could be possible they kept her first name.
I was just goofing around and searched Stephanie and the DOB (because at her age she KNEW her birthday) and I came up with a girl that looks really similar.
Is there anyone who can confirm Canadian Genealogy?

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/th...e-kathleen-stubbert&pid=139013810#fbLoggedOut

Thank you Zweibel!! As I read the articles, it appears that there were two possible suspects - Her great uncle and Hescock. Both sound like possibilities. I wonder if her great uncle was ever cleared?? Although I think it is possible that she had an alarm device on her, it seems unlikely as it is not mentioned in any of the remaining articles about her disappearance.

I wonder what the new lead was that they followed and searched areas in 2012? It would be helpful if additional information was provided from LE regarding any information they may have.

There is an interesting comment under the article from September 2012 that should be called in to LE rather than left as a comment on an article.

Thank you Zweibel!! As I read the articles, it appears that there were two possible suspects - Her great uncle and Hescock. Both sound like possibilities. I wonder if her great uncle was ever cleared?? Although I think it is possible that she had an alarm device on her, it seems unlikely as it is not mentioned in any of the remaining articles about her disappearance.

I wonder what the new lead was that they followed and searched areas in 2012? It would be helpful if additional information was provided from LE regarding any information they may have.

There is an interesting comment under the article from September 2012 that should be called in to LE rather than left as a comment on an article.

I do think the uncle was cleared. As for the perp in Amber Hoopes disappearance "20-year-old Amber Hoopes was taken from her grandparents' Bonneville County home, next to the family's business, Classic Truck and Auto Body. Mark Keith Hescock is the prime suspect. He's a former employee of Classic. He shot himself during a chase with deputies after he abducted a 14-year-old girl in June of 2002." I am not sure if the 14 year-old was known to this suspect as well. But, there is a huge difference between the pattern of teenage girls and pre-pubescent girls, IMOO. I am not sure if that link was established until way later, and it maybe coincidence of grasping at straws.

While, it is possible that this is the same perp because he was hunting in the area, there are also thousands of other hunters, from Idaho and the nation and the world, who descend on the Challis area annually during hunting season if they draw a tag. The key, if it was a hunter, would be to see what type of hunting was available at that time in that area. For example was it archery/doe season? Or musket/elk? Those occur at different times during the season. Then you look at the permits issued and narrow down who was in the vicinity and if they has a history in Idaho, the USA, or the world of child abuse charges. Other things to look at would be those issued permits to mine in the area or to river-raft into the Frank Church wilderness at the time.

I still am not certain about the alarm. Having grown up near there, the area was very safe and it would never occur to people to purchase such a device. We left our keys in the ignitions of cars and our doors unlocked. Challis was even smaller and safer. When I was her age, we would ride our bikes miles into town, be gone all day, etc. IMOO.

Anyway, my personal thought was it was always a local (meaning someone from the surrounding counties, not just Challis) familiar with the area. But, it could have also been someone traveling through on that major highway. I am not sure if it was a hunter, because, there would be records about who was there at the time and that is a simple thing to avoid if you plan to abduct a child.

i have no idea how hunting licenses work... could someone come to challis without a license to hunt? taking a risk that hunting authoritites wouldnt check in on him? or maybe just head in dressed like a hunter to blend in, and take advantage of no record of being in the area and no one questioning out-of-towners being around?

LucyOso I appreciate your comments and local connection / viewpoint.

I see what you are saying about Hescock, but we have a know predator, know child abductor, known sex offender in the area at the exact time that she disappeared. You can't discount him easily. Yes, it may have been hunting season and many other hunters in the area. However, not many hunters have his profile. We do not know how many times he visited or hunted in this area maybe he was very comfortable with this areas. Maybe it was his "stomping grounds" for hunting. He did kidnap one girl. He is suspected in kidnapping and killing another. It is pretty compelling that he was in an area where another girl disappeared.

I just moved to Idaho last year. I live not far from Idaho City....how far (a question for locals) from Idaho City is Challis?

Also, did any of her friends that she was to bowl with ever say she showed up for bowling? How about soccer practice? Did she show for that? Im thinking not.

I just moved to Idaho last year. I live not far from Idaho City....how far (a question for locals) from Idaho City is Challis?

Also, did any of her friends that she was to bowl with ever say she showed up for bowling? How about soccer practice? Did she show for that? Im thinking not.

i believe she left bowling and was walking to practice when she vanished, so no she never made it there.

Hescock's name didnt surface as a potential suspect until after Amber Hoopes went missing right? Or was it after he killed himself following the abduction of the 14 yr old?

i am questioning Hescock being the perp in all 3 cases a little... if he is, it seems like his pattern is all over the place. 2 girls known to him, 1 complete stranger (stephanie). 2 home abductions, 1 off the street (stephanie). Different age groups - a prepubescent girl (Stephanie), a teen and a young woman. it's possible stephanie was his first and was a victim of opportunity. she was there and small, maybe he thought she was easier to take? and as time went on, he grew more comfortable and moved on to more challenging "prey"... i guess the reason i really don't like that theory is that means there would have to be more girls this dirtbag took. no way he was dormant from 1993 until 2001 when he took Amber Hoopes.

i hope the police have taken a long hard look at his routines and his known areas of travel...

Hi, I was actually thinking the electronic device was one of those multi purpose devices. They are battery operated, and also functioned as a flashlight. Sometimes they also had a yellow flashing light. My grandmother's had a wrist strap that pulled out and set off the noise deterrent. I think it was something you could purchase at the drug store or radio shack. My grandmother had been robbed and collected a great assortment of personal protection devices. (My personal fav was the spray foam that was supposed to block your attacker's vision and also had a permanent dye that would stain their skin/clothes.)

It is a interesting point to know why Stephanie was carrying one. Was there somebody that she knew that was threatening her?

it could just have been parental (hyper)vigilence? my mother was terrified of her children getting abducted and i could totally see her having bought these for us if she had known about them. but in reality there was never any threat... we lived in a town likely more remote than challis since we didnt have sidewalks, let alone a bowling alley and i dont recall ever encountering any "stranger danger".

Stephanie Crane Last Seen 20 Years Ago

The people who lived in Custer County 20 years still haven't forgotten about Stephanie Crane. She was last seen 20 years ago Friday. Below is the news release issued by the Custer County Sheriff to remind everyone that there is a cold case that still needs solving.

[snip]

The Custer County Sheriff’s Office would like to remind everyone that this is still an open and active case. If anyone has any information they can call the Custer County Sheriff’s Office at 208-879-2232 to speak with someone, or they can call the Sheriff’s Office Tip Line at 208-879-5723 and leave a message. Individuals can also call the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at 1-800-843-5678 (1-800-THE-LOST) and they can remain anonymous."

http://www.kpvi.com/content/news/lo...Seen-20-Years-Ago/FO-GLSUmD0SN_oe9emeu0Q.cspx

20 years later, missing girl case still open and active

It's been exactly 20 years since Stephanie Crane disappeared, but her hometown of Challis has not forgotten.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/20-year-later-missing-girl-case-still-open-and-active-227425671.html

Story.jpg

Any suspects ever in her disappearance? Are there other cases that are similar within the area or state? Any sex offenders or people with previous criminal records similar to kidnapping from the area at that time?

bump for Stephanie

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo
Back