Found Deceased WA - Cheryl DeBoer, 54, Mountlake Terrace, 8 February 2016 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure if this link will take you directly to the trail people can walk down to the park and ride from 58th or not but hopefully it will so you can see that perhaps Cheryl got out of her car, started walking down that path (remember it was actually darker out earlier that monday morning) and then realized she forgot her badge? Perhaps started back up the trail towards her car and stopped to text? https://www.google.com/maps/@47.786...4!1sIMHoFpul0UKdQ8fq7QGLMQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I walked this trail yesterday and my takeaway is that it isn't much of a short cut (if AT ALL) and it's dark, kinda muddy and feels unsafe even in broad daylight. Cheryl's car was parked on the block that is one block from the street that the park and ride is on. It would be just as easy and quick to take the sidewalk and a heck of a lot less dirty and safer.

Where her car was parked appeared to be the closest public place to park near the park and ride lot. I am thinking that's why it might have been her MO to park there. I would be surprised to know that she made it a habit to take the wooded path "short cut" by herself if she was one to think about her safety or if she cared about keeping her work shoes clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hypothetically if a key was found... what key are you meaning?
A car key? A house key? A key to something else?
IMOO.
Sorry. To clarify I meant the car key, which to my knowledge was not ever said to be found in her car or on her person. JMO

What type of surveillance cameras are on that street (ie: outside the library) Does anyone local know?
The police already have very likely identified a vehicle of interest they may have seen on camera. IMO
I really think this case is going to break wide open in the next four to six weeks (after toxicology reports come back.)
She may have been drugged....IMO

Just another thought....if her key was the mystery item found a few days later if there is no fingerprint on it it will confirm that it was dumped by someone else. She would have no reason to wipe off fingerprints and then dump the key.
If she really was looking for a reason to skip her carpool she would have called in sick and not used the pass card left behind excuse. IMO

I agree. I don't think she came up with the idea of saying she forgot her badge so she would have an excuse to avoid the car pool. (If that was the case she could have just used that excuse without having to really have left the badge at home. It's not like the carpoolers would know.)

Does it make sense that she would drive back home to get her badge knowing it would cause her to miss her car pool and that she'd have to bus it? I am thinking probably not. Seems more like someone didn't want the car pool friend calling police or her husband when she was a no show. Wonder what location that text was sent from.

I just don't think she was killed on a public street with robbery as a motive. I think SA was the motive and he needed to take her to a private and secluded area. He planned this and she was the opportune victim.
JMO

This makes the most sense but is the most difficult to accept. I am hoping more news will come through this week. Several other posters felt this scenario was the case as well. I was thinking a "known abductor" up until recently (not her husband but perhaps acquaintance ).

Now I'm feeling she was a random target but the crime was somewhat planned and feel what you described is the case.

I just don't think she was killed on a public street with robbery as a motive. I think SA was the motive and he needed to take her to a private and secluded area. He planned this and she was the opportune victim.
JMO

He had a private and secluded area right next to the car. That is a big park with lots and lots of coverage. It would be a perfect place to conduct a sexual assault and also to dump a body. So I struggle a little with why someone would take the risk of getting her in their own car and taking her somewhere else. (Unless that park is hopping at 7 AM during the week.) It was vacant on a nice Sat afternoon with the exception of one creepy character who "appeared" homeless (I say that because he was carrying a sleeping bag in a back pack contraption.)

Does it make sense that she would drive back home to get her badge knowing it would cause her to miss her car pool and that she'd have to bus it?

I think it makes sense. She's a short distance from the transit center, which had the commuter busses that are a straight shot to work. This isn't someone who wasn't familiar with the bus system as she regularly refilled her Orca card. I'd do the same if I were here.

I have a hard time envisioning her powering down her phone too. Why not just put it away versus actually shutting it off? I think it's because someone else made her shut it off so she couldn't be tracked and couldn't call for help.

As more information gets released, IMO we are going to hear that there is evidence she was kept alive at least for that day until the evening.
IMO I think she was accosted right after sending that second text (while pulled over distracted and searching the passenger side of her car for the access card.) I think this was a random attack on Cheryl by someone who has committed this type of crime before.
HE KNEW HE NEEDED TO DISABLE HER PHONE ASAP!
She may have been temporarily incapacitated (by a stun gun) and taken to another location IN HER VEHICLE....where she was sexually assaulted and then murdered. Dumped in the culvert that night. I hate making these assumptions but this makes the most sense to me.
My heart goes out to her family and friends.
A nice lady who didn't deserve to have her normal morning routine end like this.

Was CD's vehicle found Mon afternoon? If so, and the perp did take her away from 58th in her vehicle in the AM, then he/she would have had to remove CD and put her somewhere temporarily (if the idea was not to dump her in the culvert until nightfall) so that he/she could drive CD's car back to 58th and park it, right? Then perhaps put her in a different vehicle to transport her to the culvert? I wonder where the perp took her? To his/her house? Maybe another wooded area if the park by her car seemed too busy?

I agree. I don't think she came up with the idea of saying she forgot her badge so she would have an excuse to avoid the car pool. (If that was the case she could have just used that excuse without having to really have left the badge at home. It's not like the carpoolers would know.)

Does it make sense that she would drive back home to get her badge knowing it would cause her to miss her car pool and that she'd have to bus it? I am thinking probably not. Seems more like someone didn't want the car pool friend calling police or her husband when she was a no show. Wonder what location that text was sent from.

I believe that she sent both texts and then whatever happened to her was right after the second text. He disabled her phone immediately. JMO

Thanks kammiemc for your exploration hike, details, and pictures. A belated Happy Birthday to you. 🎂🎈

From your pictures several things are clearer to me. The wooded path does not look like one I would want to walk as it would have to be damp most of the time with the Seattle rains.

The overflow lot is what I would call parking on the street. It looks like a residential area, wonder if LE has checked the residents closely? A perp living in one of these houses would fit nicely into Cheryl's case. He would have seen/watched her daily, perhaps spoken to her many times. He saw her sitting in her car texting or searching, went out to ask if she had a problem, and pounced. He took her in his house, garage, car, but he had planned this for so long and had everything set and ready to go. If she calmly walked with him because he had a gun or knife in her back, neighbors or passing traffic would not be suspicious.

Maybe he even has a white van or pick up so he could pull into the place by the culvet without suspicion, day or night. It looks like the perp may have been able to pull her out of the vehicle, roll her down the incline, then pull her a bit into the culvet. Or did the water carry her body into the culvert?

i feel anything is possible at this point, but am inclined to believe what police say. wouldnt the killer have to know her security codes? or was it just a surveillance system? i feel if someone was caught on surveillance, police wouldve said that. ? i doubt this theory, but that makes me think what if her badge wasnt found inside her house, but outside her house but still "at home". but then, i would think police would be treating her home as a crime scene...do they need warrants to do that? i would think it would still be labeled a crime scene and noone allowed in if that were the case.

Oddly, there were two big "trailers" on the D's driveway yesterday. They seemed kind of out of place to me. I wondered if they were brought there to process evidence or something. (They reminded me of the kind of trailers we use on location when producing TV spots. But I guess it is possible that could belong to someone in the immediate or extended family, or to a friend.)

I think it makes sense. She's a short distance from the transit center, which had the commuter busses that are a straight shot to work. This isn't someone who wasn't familiar with the bus system as she regularly refilled her Orca card. I'd do the same if I were here.

I have a hard time envisioning her powering down her phone too. Why not just put it away versus actually shutting it off? I think it's because someone else made her shut it off so she couldn't be tracked and couldn't call for help.

maybe she shut it off because battery was low. often, i shut down my phone when that occurs, or if on the way to school or work, where i know i wont have time or a place to charge my phone and wont be using it. however, i dont believe she was the one that shut it off, but ya never know.

other random thoughts:
maybe she purposefully cut herself to leave blood on passenger side to show she was on passenger side, and thats why ME mentioned it.
or maybe to try to hide fingerprint identity. (i dont believe this was suicide i also dont believe the suspect would've caused these cuts for this reason). maybe she was trying to leave her car and that was why her blood was found on the passenger side. also, there are blackberry bushes where she was found...maybe that's where the cuts came from? i wonder if self inflicted means intentional or unintentional? someone earlier looked up the snohomish county medical examiner's definitions of homicide and suicide, could that same person look up me's definitions of words self inflicted? or maybe she was trying to leave traces of her own blood on her killer, or their clothing, car, etc. or maybe the murderer cut her fingers for the blood to go inside her car to stage a kidnapping? doubt it, though. or could she have been hit by a car and then dumped? doubtful. or maybe the blood is even her attackers? also curious why someone took her when they did (if this is the case). if this someone knew her well, why would they take her at a time when someone is waiting for them or expecting to see her soon? unless they were caught up in the moment, and it was unplanned, or it was just more convenient for them somehow?

as for the transit park being a safe area or not, transit parks have become common for assaults and that park is known for crime. there are rvs and tents where druggies reside close the park.

http://www.king5.com/story/news/loc...lake-terrance-missing-cheryl-deboer/80279694/
from the very beginning one of her frends on media video referred to her in past tense. maybe because of the blood ? (or i could be reading too much into that, as people speak differently) but then..

i dont know if her family thought she had passed, in a video from kiro on february 10, her niece said they want her home. which makes it sound like they thought she was alive.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...1156874321487.23125.1216592469&type=3&theater

Thanks kammiemc for your exploration hike, details, and pictures. A belated Happy Birthday to you. 

From your pictures several things are clearer to me. The wooded path does not look like one I would want to walk as it would have to be damp most of the time with the Seattle rains.

The overflow lot is what I would call parking on the street. It looks like a residential area, wonder if LE has checked the residents closely? A perp living in one of these houses would fit nicely into Cheryl's case. He would have seen/watched her daily, perhaps spoken to her many times. He saw her sitting in her car texting or searching, went out to ask if she had a problem, and pounced. He took her in his house, garage, car, but he had planned this for so long and had everything set and ready to go. If she calmly walked with him because he had a gun or knife in her back, neighbors or passing traffic would not be suspicious.

Maybe he even has a white van or pick up so he could pull into the place by the culvet without suspicion, day or night. It looks like the perp may have been able to pull her out of the vehicle, roll her down the incline, then pull her a bit into the culvet. Or did the water carry her body into the culvert?

yeah but if youre into the great outdoors and a hiker like Cheryl seemed to be (per her obituary), then why would a little rain and dampness stop you? it doesn't stop other pacific northwesters, usually. seems like an enjoyable stroll on the way to work to me, to enjoy nature before having to go to the city.

Was CD's vehicle found Mon afternoon? If so, and the perp did take her away from 58th in her vehicle in the AM, then he/she would have had to remove CD and put her somewhere temporarily (if the idea was not to dump her in the culvert until nightfall) so that he/she could drive CD's car back to 58th and park it, right? Then perhaps put her in a different vehicle to transport her to the culvert? I wonder where the perp took her? To his/her house? Maybe another wooded area if the park by her car seemed too busy?

You make a great point about what time her car was found. I was thinking the perp had her in her car until nightfall but her car was found by her husband sometime that day ( not sure what time...but I am sure it was the day she disappeared)
I didn't think she was put into his car originally but now I am revising my thoughts...perhaps he pulled up beside her and dragged her into his own car? Off to a secluded place somewhere (not his home)
Risky. IMO Too tough to erase DNA afterwards.
But then again....he may just be that arrogant to think he will never be caught.

I am sorry to everyone ....i am clogging up the threads with my opinions today but I cannot get this poor lady off my mind.!

Oddly, there were two big "trailers" on the D's driveway yesterday. They seemed kind of out of place to me. I wondered if they were brought there to process evidence or something. (They reminded me of the kind of trailers we use on location when producing TV spots. But I guess it is possible that could belong to someone in the immediate or extended family, or to a friend.)

were they white? did they say anything on them? usually i think they do. here is a video of the trailer rv type vehicle that was used to process the crime scene where she was found. sorry its not an image.
http://q13fox.com/2016/02/14/fred-hutch-confirms-missing-womans-body-found-in-mountlake-terrace/

I walked this trail yesterday and my takeaway is that it isn't much of a short cut (if AT ALL) and it's dark, kinda muddy and feels unsafe even in broad daylight. Cheryl's car was parked on the block that is one block from the street that the park and ride is on. It would be just as easy and quick to take the sidewalk and a heck of a lot less dirty and safer.

Where her car was parked appeared to be the closest public place to park near the park and ride lot. I am thinking that's why it might have been her MO to park there. I would be surprised to know that she made it a habit to take the wooded path "short cut" by herself if she was one to think about her safety or if she cared about keeping her work shoes clean.

In your opinion, how likely is it that someone would find a parking spot at 8:30AM exactly where Cheryl's car was found?

I believe the DeBoer's were outdoor enthusiasts, could these trailers have been for camping/hunting motorcycle transport?

You make a great point about what time her car was found. I was thinking the perp had her in her car until nightfall but her car was found by her husband sometime that day ( not sure what time...but I am sure it was the day she disappeared)
I didn't think she was put into his car originally but now I am revising my thoughts...perhaps he pulled up beside her and dragged her into his own car? Off to a secluded place somewhere (not his home)
Risky. IMO Too tough to erase DNA afterwards.
But then again....he may just be that arrogant to think he will never be caught.

I am sorry to everyone ....i am clogging up the threads with my opinions today but I cannot get this poor lady off my mind.!

from seeing videos of rapists and homicidal maniacs, they do always seem so arrogant as to believe theyll never be caught. some commit crimes without ever a thought beforehand or after, some go to great lengths to conceal things and think they wont be caught. i dont know.....they all start with one person the crime is committed against, though. and even a random person doing this may be arrogant to think he won't be caught, or just desperate to not be caught with her.

I had mentioned a text log - several hundred posts ago. I can't find it. Maybe I dreamed it up! But it keeps gnawing at me.

Based on the text info here:
http://www.heraldnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?aid=/20160216/NEWS01/160219330&template=MobileArt

She texted the final text saying it would take 10 minutes. We have not been told what time that was sent but the 10 minute response was to the offer to wait for Cheryl. The phone was then powered down.

It seems like Cheryl knew it was at home and that's where she was going to get it and at least at that moment - she thought she'd be back there at the P&R in 10 minutes.

I have heard (probably on crime shows) that a power down is different than a break or a dead battery or a short circuit where the phone is suddenly dead.

So I am leaning toward the fact that she left her driveway alone. She pulled over somewhere else to turn around. At that point - I think someone else was present.

Somehow I believe they got her to hand over her phone. I think what may have looked innocent to bystanders was when she got into the passenger side of her white car. I think she was killed there. Then I think the person could have driven to the place her body was found and left her there before returning her car to the overflow parking area.

When they left the car, they took her stuff. But left behind, in the vehicle, was enough blood so that there was no doubt that Cheryl had been in that car that morning.

Can you please poke holes in this so it will stop playing like this in my head?

I think this makes perfect sense for the theory of it being a random crime of opportunity. If someone had been sleeping overnight in the park and wanted money for drugs he could have just waited for a vulnerable woman victim hoping she had cash, then killed her, dumped her and returned. The only thing I don't really get is why the perp would return the car and risk being seen again? Unless he wanted to catch public transit and that's why he came back?

Thanks kammiemc for your exploration hike, details, and pictures. A belated Happy Birthday to you. 🎂🎈

Just out of interest, why is a white van or pick up not suspicious? I'm not American so this might be something only known to locals. TIA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa