WA - Mackenzie Cowell, 17, Wenatchee, 9 Feb 2010 - #20

How the State Crime Lab helped crack the Cowell murder case
October 7, 2010

They don't bust suspects, they don't solve crimes in an hour, they don't work with blue lights and they don't drive Hummers. They don't have much in common with CSI-type TV shows but the Washington State Crime Lab played a pivotal role in cracking the MacKenzie Cowell murder case. KXLY4's Tania Dall reports.

http://www.kxly.com/news/25316099/detail.html

If anyone is interested in learning more about the WSP Crime Lab's processing of the evidence in Mackenzie's case, there is a short video up on KXLY (linked above), from their broadcast on October 7th.

There has been an arrest, but Many mysteries wait to be solved; Boat Ramp, Pitcher Canyon, Crescent Bar,Missing Phone, six phone calls to the same East Wenatchee number,clothing and purse left in car, etc. Any of you could add much to that list. The time for sleuthing is far from over. continuing to march. I know you are too.

There has been an arrest, but Many mysteries wait to be solved; Boat Ramp, Pitcher Canyon, Crescent Bar,Missing Phone, six phone calls to the same East Wenatchee number,clothing and purse left in car, etc. Any of you could add much to that list. The time for sleuthing is far from over. continuing to march. I know you are too.

The six phone calls to the same number are the most puzzling thing to me. I just can't see somebody calling the same number that many times without knowing they have the wrong number?? Something just doesn't add up, but maybe I am reading too much into it. It just seems like she was trying to reach somebody urgently.

I agree there is much to still be pieced together and answered..... my guess is that the police have WAY more information than we do and much of what we could ponder here would all makes sense when the rest of what they already know is added. Probably just need to wait and see. Correct me if I am wrong but didn't they already answer the 'boat launch' question? If I understood correctly, didn't Kruse say the triangulation of the pings from her phone be possibly located atfrom the salon?

I wonder what the suspect's number was? yes, boat launch is off the table, I think. I do believe Officer Kruse said that calls were from 404 S. Chelan which is the salon. This is interesting http://www.myspace.com/reddoorblue/photos/2663280#a=0&i=3641004 only because of his caption"find me now B****** Ha! It looks like in an alley.You will have to go through the photos to find it (scroll down a little on each for comment It's photo 7 of ten.

The six phone calls to the same number are the most puzzling thing to me. I just can't see somebody calling the same number that many times without knowing they have the wrong number?? Something just doesn't add up, but maybe I am reading too much into it. It just seems like she was trying to reach somebody urgently.

[bbm]

or he was ...

maybe the wrong number person didn't know her but they might know him

I wonder what the suspect's number was? yes, boat launch is off the table, I think.

I don’t think that the boat launch is off the table.

I imagine that any defense attorney is going to try to create reasonable doubt by focusing on any inconsistencies from LE. I expect that there will be questioning concerning the location of the calls changing from the boat launch to the salon as soon as LE had a suspect.

good point . could both locations be possible?

The way I understood Kruse was that the triangulations only give a radius of where the pings could of been coming from, and both the boat launch AND the salon are in that radius (as would everything in between).

Dear Posters:

Just wanted to mention that since this thread is now in Awaiting Trial, I am no longer a moderator.

Kimster, JBean, and Tricia moderate this forum.

If you have a question or need a mod, please PM or email one of them. Try Kimster first. She is on WS most of the time.

Thanks!

Hoppy
mod (elsewhere)

The way I understood Kruse was that the triangulations only give a radius of where the pings could of been coming from, and both the boat launch AND the salon are in that radius (as would everything in between).

"Cell phone data indicates Cowell’s phone “could have been sending or receiving calls and data between 1500 (3 p.m.) and 1542 (3:42 p.m.) from the area of 404 S. Chelan Ave. However, it states that “other data and analysis suggests she received these calls and one additional one while her phone was at the Orondo (Avenue) Boat launch in Wenatchee."

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2010/oct/07/court-documents-sheds-light-on-case/

[bbm]

or he was ...

maybe the wrong number person didn't know her but they might know him

Bingo. Think you hit it. I doubt highly that Mac was in control of that phone. Has LE given a specific time frame on those calls? I'm sure they have, but can't find it in my notes.

Personally, I think this all went down very quickly after she left the Academy, and I doubt she was in control of that phone any longer at 3:30pm when only a "hey" was texted back to her boyfriend and no further texts back to him.

Yes indeedy. Who WAS he trying to call. Same number 6 times likely was just using the redial and not keying in the number. If somebody Mac knew, why didn't she have the number in the phonebook on her cell and dial from there? If it were somebody that I wanted to get in touch with that badly, I do believe it would rate storing rather than dialing all 10 digits on a tiny keypad. In other words, somebody she knew, not a random "I think I should call so-and-so who I haven't been in touch with in years, if ever."

uncut 25 minute Press conference that was held in wenatchee October 7th regarding Christopher Wilson's arrest for Mackenzie Cowell's murder.:http://www.khq.com/Global/story.asp?S=13285462 This is KHQ6 North Idaho television news.
http://www.khq.com/Global/story.asp?S=13285462

Thanks for attributing KHQ to N Idaho (I think), but they are actually in Spokane.

Not sure why theirs is only 25 mins, but if same as what I watched there live, was only 1 mostly fixed camera that stayed on the speakers up front?

This one of the news conference is 31 minutes long and camera isn't fixed. It also shows some of the crowd standing along one wall, who are at least in part, instructors and students from the Academy.

ETA: KOMO's audio is much better as well. KHQ's is hurting my tender ears.

The video is right below the story.

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/104495859.html

Bingo. Think you hit it. I doubt highly that Mac was in control of that phone. Has LE given a specific time frame on those calls? I'm sure they have, but can't find it in my notes.

Personally, I think this all went down very quickly after she left the Academy, and I doubt she was in control of that phone any longer at 3:30pm when only a "hey" was texted back to her boyfriend and no further texts back to him.

Yes indeedy. Who WAS he trying to call. Same number 6 times likely was just using the redial and not keying in the number. If somebody Mac knew, why didn't she have the number in the phonebook on her cell and dial from there? If it were somebody that I wanted to get in touch with that badly, I do believe it would rate storing rather than dialing all 10 digits on a tiny keypad. In other words, somebody she knew, not a random "I think I should call so-and-so who I haven't been in touch with in years, if ever."

I didn't catch the time frames on the calls either. If he was using her phone for some reason, it sure seems like someone else had knowledge of what was going to happen. But so far it doesn't seem like anyone else is involved. If somebody else was I don't see this guy not talking later on. Boy, I sure hope nobody else was because then it just becomes even more nauseating to think about.

I was looking for a video of the PC . I found a list of stations carrying it. If you type KHQ into your browser, it returns:"KHQ Right Now - News and Weather for Spokane and North Idaho" ...as heading for the page. Sorry for any confusion and that the time was off. 25 min. was what was written near the khq video

Calling the same number 6 times in a row seems logical if she was trying to get hold of someone/anyone without letting the bad guy see she had access to her phone. If you hit send, it automatically dials the last number you called. Not sure why 'that' number though.

Could the pings be coming from the triangulation radius of 119 Okanogan?

Formal charges have to be filed by tomorrow (Monday) at 5:00. Wonder if we will learn more through that process or if it is just a formality. I'm sure LE has learned tons in the last week!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back