UT -Susan Powell, 28, West Valley City, 6 Dec 2009 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Filing bankruptcy on your in-laws = MAJOR FAIL

Promissory Note
Chuck and Judy Cox
(address redacted by me)
Puyallup, WA 98374

Maybe I'm going crazy, but my mind keeps coming back to Susan suddenly needing to lay down after supper. I just can't get Ambien out of my head.

Same here. It seems very odd unless she had something in her system making her feel this way. Especially with a visitor over, I wouldn't go lay down unless I absolutely could not stand on my own two feet, for fear of being rude.

I can say that house values have dropped quite a bit in Salt Lake the last two years.... tons of houses are now listed as short sales and there are forclosures all over the place.

I sold my house in 2006 and made about $30,000.00 off of it... had bought it in 2005. I just found it listed last week for $15,000.00 less than what I got for it... and from what I could tell in the pictures they remodeled the basement and added a 2nd bathroom!

I know folks that are upside down... they were living the high life the last few years, and then everything came crashing down.

Yes, and from the bankruptcy papers posted, it looks like Josh was very used to living off credit cards such as Lowes and Sam's Club. We all know how hard it is now to even get a credit card with new fees and interest rates. I imaging they were now using cash only and that cash was from Susan's pay check. Josh didn't appear to bring home much money. Which makes the late night camping trip even more doubtful as I don't think Susan would think the gas and groceries cost would justify the outing. She was probably more worried about being able to buy diapers for the baby.

Who did Josh owe 91K in services to? What services?

It looked like phone book advertising for his real estate business. ( the year he earned $4000 or something close)

Thats it, she doesnt have to be stuck. She could have said in the beginning that she had no comment and only answered about what she saw that night and not cover for JP. Or she can change her mind. Family and friends have done it many times in various cases. I think people have guilt by association. If their friend is a murdering psycho it makes them look bad. I dont understand that either. If my friend is a murdering psycho then he/she is a murdering psycho that I will help put away given the chance!

But to say that Josh is wonderful and fawn all over him is another thing. I think she knew that there were issues in the marriage. Why not just be honest? Or just don't say anything at all. I have serious issues with family and friends running to the media the first chance they get. I dont mind press conferences especially when a person is missing or loved ones going on shows to get the word out that a person is missing. But the tv interviews and the newspaper interviews about what they think happened and how the marriage was and defending or condeming a person leaves me a little weary.

However, it is good for us! :dance:

Maybe JP didn't have a thing for her (Jovanna)...but maybe she had a thing for him....and that would explain her misplaced loyalty.

After seeing Jovanna on the JVM video, I can't help but have more questions.

Is she really 48 yrs. old? She looks more like friends of mine who are closer to 78 yrs. Perhaps she is aged beyond her yrs. like Misty Croslin's Mom?

As the last person to see Susan alive, her presence there on Sunday afternoon
becomes very interesting to me and I would like to know a lot more about her.

Thank you so much for acquiring these bankruptcy docs, !

So if I'm reading this correctly, they did have two mortgages outstanding on their house. The initial $124,000 from 2004 and then another $33,000 in 2006. Does a $1300 monthly mortgage payment seem really high for this amount of debt? Geez, what kind of interest rate did he get on this???

Our assumptions about a shaky income are supported here too: Current monthly income $1022??

Who did Josh owe 91K in services to? What services?
I just got done reading all the docs and I think the services were to yellow book, etc that he spent money on perhaps for his realestate business (of which he did not do very well in if you look at his income...whew!)

Did you also see the promissary note from Susan's dad??

I wonder if Susan was still going to college at this time??? She was listed as a homemaker.. I wonder how long she has been working??? And I also wonder if the student loans were for both of them? lots of questions eh?

If Josh didn't cook much, nothing is simpler than whipping up some pancakes and eggs. Sure it would be easy enough to divvy up the portions himself, giving Susan a "special" pancake, but that wouldn't necessarily be the only purpose for this particular meal. IMO.

Brinner is one of my DH's favorite meals, and I'll do it every couple of weeks (it's also great if you don't have meat defrosted!). According to the character Turk on "Scrubs", when the stars align you know it is because brinner is on the table!

I love breakfast for dinner ! I do it often because it is hard for me to cook up a full blown breakfast in the mornings not enough time...my kids always love it...

Well I dont think Jovanna had anything to do with it, but it's odd to me as to why a friend from church/neighbor would jump to the defense of someone she has known for how long??

Why is she calling JP on his cell ph? I dont call my friends husbands out of the blue on the cell unless she was looking for susan, but why refuse to tell what was said??

Those are the questions I have. It's not like Jovanna is susans sister or BFF. For what i've heard Jovanna spent most of her time with Susan and the kids and not JP. So how could she have known he is such a good father and husband if she isnt that tight with them?

Why is she calling JP on his cell ph? I dont call my friends husbands out of the blue on the cell unless she was looking for susan....

She babysits the kids so she should definitely have both parents cell phones ready at all times. Susan's job was busy so she may not always have been available for questions about the kids. I believe JoVonna called him about Susan on Monday as did Kiirsi (and maybe others.) To my understanding he answered both Susan and Kiirsi's call.

...but why refuse to tell what was said??

She hasn't told the media what was said, but from police statements about everyone but Josh being cooperative, I'm betting she told them what was said. I don't find it all that strange that she didn't tell the media. Could be for a number of reasons, she may not remember exactly, she have been worried about mis-quoting, she may have felt it would be disrespectful to Josh to discuss their personal phone conversation to living rooms nationwide even if there was nothing odd or incriminating about it.

Jovanna spent most of her time with Susan and the kids and not JP. So how could she have known he is such a good father and husband if she isn't that tight with them?

I'm 30, so close to Susan's age (28.) I know I really tend to sugarcoat things with older women like my grandmother, great aunts and motherly types. I know they tend to worry and fuss, and some tend to gossip, so I just don't go there. If I have a big fight with my DH, my sister's going to get the whole story, my mother will get the watered down version, and my grandmother's not even going to know about it. Imo, it's super likely that Susan just put on a smiley, happy front about Josh with JoVonna.

ahhh... I see what you are getting at now with the 91K of debt! duh! Very interesting....

Thanks again for posting those documents.

Also.. just another thought to throw out... do we know if Josh went to college and where?

It's odd when a married person declares BK and the spouse does not - usually the finances are so entwined they both have to declare, otherwise the debtors are free to go after the other spouse.

~snipped by me~

I thought it odd too, which indicates a whole different level of control by Josh. Everything but the mortgage is in his name alone??? Does this indicate that Susan wasn't even an "authorized user" on the credit cards?

The family of the West Valley City woman who has been missing for 11 days will hold a press conference Thursday afternoon.
Seven members of Susan Powell's family are expected to meet with the media in Puyallup, Wash., where her parents live. The reason for the press conference is unclear, but family members are expected to field questions after a brief statement is read.
http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705352238/Susan-Powells-family-to-speak-out.html

I really wonder if this is the turning point on how the family is feeling about Josh?

...but why refuse to tell what was said??

She hasn't told the media what was said, but from police statements about everyone but Josh being cooperative, I'm betting she told them what was said. I don't find it all that strange that she didn't tell the media. Could be for a number of reasons, she may not remember exactly, she have been worried about mis-quoting, she may have felt it would be disrespectful to Josh to discuss their personal phone conversation to living rooms nationwide even if there was nothing odd or incriminating about it.

I still dont get why Jovanna is willing to blab to the media about everything else and do interviews but wont talk about the cell phone conversation! That perplexes me. Why talk to the media at all then at all???? If she is such a good friend then just clam up. The TV, radio, and newspaper interviews, for what end then??? The attention getting family and friends always gets me fired up. Talk to LE, but you are not required to talk to media, especially if you are a casual friend or neighbor. One interview ok, but multiple???

perhaps LE asked her not to reveal what was said in the phone conversation?

I am certain that LE has asked Jovanna not to speak about her conversation with Josh, it may very well be an entirley different excuse made by him and releasing it could jepordize the investigation as Josh would be able to cover for that story as well ...
JMO...

I find it interesting that JP mentions going to test the new generator as a reason for camping.

"Peterson said Josh told him they went camping to test a new generator and make s'mores. " http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=8986844

He leaves earlier in the evening to take the boys sledding. . .could he have left the generator running in the house. . .comes back and finds something went wrong, panics. . .and has to dispose of the body?

"Wet spot" spilled gasoline from filling the generator?

Portable Generator Hazards
"Portable generators are useful when temporary or remote electric power is needed, but they also can be hazardous. The primary hazards to avoid when using a generator are carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning from the toxic engine exhaust, electric shock or electrocution, fire and burns.

Every year, people die in incidents related to portable generator use. Most of the incidents associated with portable generators reported to CPSC involve CO poisoning from generators used indoors or in partially-enclosed spaces. "

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/portgen.html

Thank you so much for acquiring these bankruptcy docs, !

So if I'm reading this correctly, they did have two mortgages outstanding on their house. The initial $124,000 from 2004 and then another $33,000 in 2006. Does a $1300 monthly mortgage payment seem really high for this amount of debt? Geez, what kind of interest rate did he get on this???

Our assumptions about a shaky income are supported here too: Current monthly income $1022??

I bet it was a second mortgage on the original mortgage. Like the home equity loans that were popular a few years back. Borrow against your equity to make home improvements and hope to increase the value in your home. The big problem came when the economy tanked and home values plummeted. I have a feeling they were about to lose their home.

(left to sleeping in the van?) ugh.

PattyG, I am not a pro at understanding those documents but I did read them all and Susan was not listed on the house. She was only listed one time as a codebtor and her job was listed as homemaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo53