FL FL - Colleen Orsborn, 15, Daytona Beach, 19 March 1984

shadowangel

Black cats consider me unlucky.
Reaction score
Colleen Emily Orsborn
Missing since March 19, 1984 from Daytona Beach, Volusia County, Florida.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: March 3, 1969
Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2; 95 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; hazel eyes.
Dentals: Not available

Circumstances of Disappearance
Orsborn was last seen at her family's Daytona Beach, Florida home on March 19, 1984. Orsborn was initially thought to be a runaway who was headed towards Titusville, Florida. Police now suspect that she was abducted by serial-killer Christopher Wilder. He was seen in Daytona that day, propositioning "models." He is also a suspect in the abductions of Tammy Leppert and Mary Opitz. Wilder was killed in Colebrook on April 13, 1984, in a struggle with a New Hampshire state trooper.
In February 2001, Orsborn's brother got an anonymous letter postmarked in Manchester, NH from someone who said he had killed the girl, giving some directions to where he supposedly left the body and begging forgiveness. The author said he is dying from cirrhosis of the liver. The author describes an area along the Tomaka River in Daytona Beach where he claims to have dumped the girl’s body and clothes. Investigators say the author may not be Orsborn’s killer, and instead could have learned of the disappearance by talking to Wilder when Wilder passed through New Hampshire. Still, they are investigating the possibility the letter is for real.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/171dffl.html

The disappearance of Colleen fits the pattern of Wilder, who often attacked near his birthdate of March 13th. This was near the beginning of his cross-country rampage of kidnapping and murder, ending with his death in a confrontation with state police in New Hampshire. While researching Wilder in reference to the disappearance of Dorothy "DeeDee" Scofield, I found this case. After looking at various sites, I found the following UID....

Discovered on April 6, 1984 in Orlando, Orange County, Florida.
Cause of death was homicide
She is estimated to have been dead for up to 10 days before she was located.

Vital Statistics
Estimated age: 14 - 18 years old
Approximate Height and Weight: 5'3"; 100 - 115 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: Brown eyes and light brown hair cut short around the face, 6"-9" long in back. She wore a size 7 -8 shoe. She had no scars or other abnormalities / identifying marks. She had on very faint pink nail polish on fingernails as well as two toenails. her ears were not pierced.
Dentals: Available. She did have cavities, however; it appeared that she had never received dental care.
DNA: Available.
Clothing: No clothing was located.

Case History
The victim was located in a wooded area between SR 545 and SR 192 (Lake Buena Vista) near Bali Boulevard in southwest Orange County, Florida. She had been killed and buried naked in a shallow grave.
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/30uffl.html

The resemblance between Colleen and the first set of reconstructions of the UID is unmistakable (the second set of reconstructions look nothing like the first, and do not match the written description. The written description of Colleen does not match her photo, either).
The dates match---The UID was found 18 days after Colleen disappeared. Orlando and Daytona Beach are some 50 miles apart. I would certainly hope this match has already been looked at...
(Anyone capable of posting a side-by-side comparison of the photos, please feel free).

I think these are a match. I will check Doenetwork for you to see if it has been submitted. Here are your pics.

30UFFL1.jpg
COrsborn.jpg
COrsborn1.jpg
30UFFL.jpg

I looked on Doenetwork and this case had been submitted back in 2003, but there was nothing saying what had become of it. I think three years is a long time for no response. I am thinking it's because there are no dentals on Colleen. I wonder what is going on. I say you should submit it., it looks really good to me. The heights, the weight, the coloring, no dentals on Colleen, and no dental care on Doe, the distance looks good. I say put a fire under LE and ask them to look again. It would be a shame if her family could have had closure long ago. Something isn't right with that. I will dig some more...

Bump for shadowangel. Have you submitted this, or do you want me to contact someone at Doe network to see why this hasn't been updated?

gardenmom said:
Bump for shadowangel. Have you submitted this, or do you want me to contact someone at Doe network to see why this hasn't been updated?
Please do. Thanks.

I made a post to see what was up. Hopefully we will hear soon. Otherwise, it wouldn't hurt to submit this to LE. Heck, you should do it anyway!

OK, there is a thread over there that was just started today! Seems like we are on the same wavelength as some others over at Doe. Anyway, they are contacting Rocky, who I know posts on here. I guess he does some sluething over there and may be in the "know" as to what is taking so long. I sincerely think it may be the lack of dentals on Colleen, and the cost of DNA. I could be wrong, but this seems like such an obvious match. I will keep checking over there and report back when I see something new.

I would be shocked if LE hadn't checked this out right away...I mean, 18 days and 50 miles apart? That's obvious to even me! And Wilder's rampage was front-page news all over the country.

This is under "Case Discussion" with the thread titled "Possible?" on Doe network if you are interested in looking over there. Rocky replied back that they never got back to the Doe Network, and he resubmitted it. Hopefully they will let someone know.

If I don't hear anything in a few days in regard to Doe Network, I'll start pestering LE down there.

I did ask and it was because I posted the names of possible matches that had been submitted. They do not want this information known to anyone outside of their members to have this information. They made it very clear. Now the thread that I posted the information on is gone. It was Lake Ponchatrain Doe. I was just trying to help us narrow down our search. There is no sense in spending hours searching for a match if it's already been submitted to LE. It doesn't make sense to me either, since we all have one objective in mind, and that is finding the missing. It's too bad they are acting this way.

I am sorry that you got banned. I know I would feel awful if I got banned from a site. However, please remember that you did nothing wrong and had all the best of intentions.
I don't understand their reasoning but as I am not a member of their site I guess it is not necessary for me to understand. I just hope whatever guides them in making this decision it is based on helping the missing and not any other reason.

mjak

Websleuths has strict copyright rules that all our members must obey. If you have a link to information from another forum, simply post a snippet of that information along with a link. There's absolutely no reason whatever that people reading here cannot read the information for themselves at the forum in which it appears.

Moreover, what happens at other forums (i.e., banning, time outs, etc.) should be left at that forum and not brought here. We try to work with other forums, especially those who feature missing/endangered persons, and we're not about to start a forum war simply because someone copied information that they didn't get permission to copy.

I have included a post which contains information regarding the "Fair Use Doctrine." If you have any other questions, please speak with one of the moderators:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use

If the case was submitted in 2003 then it was more then likely before the board switched over to it's current home. They used to be on Yahoo Groups and something happened that the board got erased and that's when they moved. I'm assuming that a lot of the PM's from 2003 and before are from memory or something someone had saved and no one ever followed up on it.

Hi
When I was looking at this Jane doe possibly being my sister.they told me this was not colleen.but it is always good to check again.

suzanne

orsborn_colleen.jpg
orsborn_colleen_ap.jpg

Missing Since: March 19, 1984 from Daytona Beach, Florida
Height and Weight: 5'2, 95 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Blonde hair, hazel eyes. Orsborn's name may be spelled "Osborn" or "Osbourne."
Clothing/Jewelry Description: Possibly a pink bikini bathing suit.

Details of Disappearance

Orsborn was last seen at her family's home in Daytona Beach, Florida on March 19, 1984. She missed the school bus on the day of her disappearance and her mother gave her some money so she could take the county bus to school. Orsborn never arrived at school, however. She is believed to have skipped school to go to the beach. Authorities initially believed Orsborn to be a runaway who was headed towards the Titusville, Florida area, but have since changed their theory.

Orsborn has five older siblings. She was a student at Campbell Junior High School at the time of her disappearance; she had previously attended St. Paul's Catholic School but was discharged for behavioral problems. Her loved ones stated she is very intelligent but did not like school in 1984, and often skipped classes. At the time of her disappearance, Orsborn's parents had separated and her mother was ill. Some of her loved ones theorized that she ran away because of the stress in her family, but no one believed she would have been gone this long without contacting anyone.

Investigators now believe that Orsborn may have been abducted by Christopher Wilder, a man linked to at least a dozen disappearances, rapes, murders and/or attacks of numerous women in the early to mid-1980's. Photos of Wilder are posted below this case summary. He is believed to have been in the Daytona Beach area on the day Orsborn disappeared.

One of Orsborn's classmates stated a man resembling Wilder had offered her $100 to pose for pictures. This would fit with Wilder's modus operandi, as he sometimes attempted to lure young female victims by offering non-existent "modeling sessions" or other tactics. He was put on probation in 1980 after pleading guilty to attempted sexual battery towards a teenage girl. While on a visit home to Australia that same year, he was charged with kidnapping and sexually assaulting two teenaged girls. His parents bailed him out of jail and he flew back to the United States, promising to return for his trial which was set for April 1984. He is a also a suspect in the Florida disappearances of Mary Opitz, Rosario Gonzales, Elizabeth Kenyon, and Tammy Leppert. Wilder was killed during a shootout with authorities shortly after Orsborn vanished.

Orsborn's case took another turn in 2001, when her brother received an anonymous letter postmarked February 21, 2001 from Manchester, New Hampshire. The letter was written in felt tip pen and has many misspellings. It was signed with a fish mark, similar to the Christian symbol for Christ. Orsborn's siblings believe the letter is legitimate. Her parents have both died in the years since her disappearance.

The letter's author claimed he or she murdered Orsborn and buried her body in an area along the Tomaka River in Daytona Beach, Florida in 1984. He/she stated that Orsborn could be located approximately one mile from the Route 4 overpass along Interstate 415. The writer also claimed that he/she buried Orsborn's clothing in a black garbage bag about one hundred feet from her supposed burial site. The author stated that he/she was dying due to cirrhosis of the liver, which can occur as a result of heavy alcohol usage. Authorities theorize that the unidentified individual may be a member of Alcoholics Anonymous, a program which encourages participants to admit past wrongdoings and ask for forgiveness from their victims. It is not known if the author has any true connection to Orsborn's case. Investigators pursued the possible lead, but they have not been able to determine who wrote the letter or whether or not the information provided is authentic.

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Daytona Beach Police Department

386-671-5100

Colleen Emily Orsborn

orsborn_colleen.jpg

orsborn_colleen_ap.jpg

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance
Missing Since: March 19, 1984 from Daytona Beach, Florida
Height and Weight: 5'2, 95 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Blonde hair, hazel eyes. Orsborn's name may be spelled "Osborn" or "Osbourne."
Clothing/Jewelry Description: Possibly a pink bikini bathing suit.

Details of Disappearance
Orsborn was last seen at her family's home in Daytona Beach, Florida on March 19, 1984. She missed the school bus on the day of her disappearance and her mother gave her some money so she could take the county bus to school. Orsborn never arrived at school, however. She is believed to have skipped school to go to the beach. Authorities initially believed Orsborn to be a runaway who was headed towards the Titusville, Florida area, but have since changed their theory. Orsborn has five older siblings. She was a student at Campbell Junior High School at the time of her disappearance; she had previously attended St. Paul's Catholic School but was discharged for behavioral problems. Her loved ones stated she is very intelligent but did not like school in 1984, and often skipped classes. At the time of her disappearance, Orsborn's parents had separated and her mother was ill. Some of her loved ones theorized that she ran away because of the stress in her family, but no one believed she would have been gone this long without contacting anyone. Investigators now believe that Orsborn may have been abducted by Christopher Wilder, a man linked to at least a dozen disappearances, rapes, murders and/or attacks of numerous women in the early to mid-1980's. Photos of Wilder are posted below this case summary. He is believed to have been in the Daytona Beach area on the day Orsborn disappeared. One of Orsborn's classmates stated a man resembling Wilder had offered her $100 to pose for pictures. This would fit with Wilder's modus operandi, as he sometimes attempted to lure young female victims by offering non-existent "modeling sessions" or other tactics. He was put on probation in 1980 after pleading guilty to attempted sexual battery towards a teenage girl. While on a visit home to Australia that same year, he was charged with kidnapping and sexually assaulting two teenaged girls. His parents bailed him out of jail and he flew back to the United States, promising to return for his trial which was set for April 1984. He is a also a suspect in the Florida disappearances of Mary Opitz, Rosario Gonzales, Elizabeth Kenyon, and Tammy Leppert. Wilder was killed during a shootout with authorities shortly after Orsborn vanished. Orsborn's case took another turn in 2001, when her brother received an anonymous letter postmarked February 21, 2001 from Manchester, New Hampshire. The letter was written in felt tip pen and has many misspellings. It was signed with a fish mark, similar to the Christian symbol for Christ. Orsborn's siblings believe the letter is legitimate. Her parents have both died in the years since her disappearance. The letter's author claimed he or she murdered Orsborn and buried her body in an area along the Tomaka River in Daytona Beach, Florida in 1984. He/she stated that Orsborn could be located approximately one mile from the Route 4 overpass along Interstate 415. The writer also claimed that he/she buried Orsborn's clothing in a black garbage bag about one hundred feet from her supposed burial site. The author stated that he/she was dying due to cirrhosis of the liver, which can occur as a result of heavy alcohol usage. Authorities theorize that the unidentified individual may be a member of Alcoholics Anonymous, a program which encourages participants to admit past wrongdoings and ask for forgiveness from their victims. It is not known if the author has any true connection to Orsborn's case. Investigators pursued the possible lead, but they have not been able to determine who wrote the letter or whether or not the information provided is authentic. Orsborn's case remains unsolved.

WILDER'S PHOTOS:
wilder.jpg

wilder2.jpg

Investigating Agency
If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Daytona Beach Police Department
386-671-5100

http://charleyproject.org/cases/o/orsborn_colleen.html

Hi
I believe They have DNA on this Jane Doe now.Does any one know if the family have DNA in CODIS for Colleen.I do feel these two should be checked with thier DNA for a possible match.Has anyone called in recently about this possible match?

suzanne

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vigilandy
Back