‘20/20’ Pre-trial interviews with former FBI agent Tom Martens and Molly Corbett

Don't watch this show if you haven't taken your blood pressure medication first-incredibly one-sided and the comments on the FB page are even worse, if possible. :gaah:

Well there hasn't been a rush of people to donate despite all the FB comments. Only 65 backers and 10 grand even after all the publicity and media attention she got!

Don't watch this show if you haven't taken your blood pressure medication first-incredibly one-sided and the comments on the FB page are even worse, if possible. :gaah:

Any theories on why the defense did not bring in any of the allegations in the program into evidence if they wanted to attempt to create reasonable doubt? It still remains a mystery to me why the defense was so lacking defence!

If you live with someone who is possessive and over fixated on YOUR children, who spends too much, who ignores you when you speak or thinks they are better than you - as we know all the Ms did- how frustrating must that be. J was a manager, he was well used to dealing with people in his work. I doubt he ever shouted at any of them, or was given any reason to. Shows how much on the edge J must have been, to have his children used against him, to have to shout to be heard.........and she continues to ignore him in the video. And now he's dead and can't tell his side of the story or the lead up..........what cowardice, ugliness, darkness is in her soul!

Any theories on why the defense did not bring in any of the allegations in the program into evidence if they wanted to attempt to create reasonable doubt? It still remains a mystery to me why the defense was so lacking defence!

If you live with someone who is possessive and over fixated on YOUR children, who spends too much, who ignores you when you speak or thinks they are better than you - as we know all the Ms did- how frustrating must that be. J was a manager, he was well used to dealing with people in his work. I doubt he ever shouted at any of them, or was given any reason to. Shows how much on the edge J must have been, to have his children used against him, to have to shout to be heard.........and she continues to ignore him in the video. And now he's dead and can't tell his side of the story or the lead up..........what cowardice, ugliness, darkness is in her soul!

I genuinely feel they knew the odds were stacked against them evidence wise . I think this could have been plan all along . Wouldn't surprise me if they have done a whole range of prerecorded interviews to garner support on the Dv narrative and try to get an appeal with backing of more Americans. I mean I think if I had just watched that show alone without knowing anything else I'd think they were not guilty either . Shocking that it's allowed at all

Is that a written quote or actual video footage??!

i believe it was video footage cut to suit. A crucial piece was of what he said was cut out! I hope the C family go after ABC but I would think they want to push on with life. TL will not be seen doing interviews etc. And maybe they are right. It's a feeding frenzie IMO

Interesting that TM was waiting for/expecting a 2nd interview with LE.

Yes, both mentioned that, MM mentioned interview when they weren't in shock, Tom clearly thought they'd have more interviews to help clear up their inconsistencies, e.g., Tom never mentioned the paver stone in original interviews, so he had no choice but to deny he'd seen it. Molly wrote out a one page statement which was to cover the time she asserts Sarah got up, fight started, choking started, Tom intervenes, then Tom and Molly in fight for their lives against Jason, Jason still choking her overpowers Tom with one hand, grabbing bat, Tom then overpowers this large man Jason and regains the bat, and keeps bashing away till Jason goes down. All that story from Molly, details, etc covered one page - they planned from beginning to get through that first night interview and clean up in follow-ups. They over-played their hand, their contempt for the local plods. Even in interview Tom couldn't help himself, showing his contempt for them.

I am still reeling with anger from this. The comments on the Facebook page should be removed and closed for commenting. The abuse of TL the C family is appalling. People stating that without a doubt he killed MF.
How ABC are allowing this slander of a victim is beyond me.
The have been convicted as murderers.
It also shows how many victims of domestic abuse are easily taken in by MMs manipulative ways.

I am so mad after reading the comments on 20/20 facebook. Everyone is commenting that the Martens should be set free and are innocent. I wish the Corbett family could get their story out there.

I think that was the plan if they were found guilty. ABC interview would help the go fund me page to gather funds. ME was ready and waiting to get the page up in time before this interview aired.

It's absolutely sickening. I'm not gonna look at the FB comments or even the interview as don't want to feel worse than I already do but thank you to all who posted the content.

I mean my god who records a little boy telling you he loves you. That sounds like a set up to me. And if I had a recording for everytime me or my hubby yelled, that I could sell to TV, id be rich I can tell you.

and a great big dirty rock on your Mahogony polished prob expensive nightstand??? Come on people! Why didn't defence mention or stress its alleged purpose during opening or closing arguments? It was one of the things that had the jury suspicious. 😡😡😡😡😡

Yes, both mentioned that, MM mentioned interview when they weren't in shock, Tom clearly thought they'd have more interviews to help clear up their inconsistencies, e.g., Tom never mentioned the paver stone in original interviews, so he had no choice but to deny he'd seen it. Molly wrote out a one page statement which was to cover the time she asserts Sarah got up, fight started, choking started, Tom intervenes, then Tom and Molly in fight for their lives against Jason, Jason still choking her overpowers Tom with one hand, grabbing bat, Tom then overpowers this large man Jason and regains the bat, and keeps bashing away till Jason goes down. All that story from Molly, details, etc covered one page - they planned from beginning to get through that first night interview and clean up in follow-ups. They over-played their hand, their contempt for the local plods. Even in interview Tom couldn't help himself, showing his contempt for them.

ITA with everything you stated.

And, BBM - Exactly my thoughts last night while watching.

Such arrogance!

I really thought the worst of all this was over, and could all return to our normal lives. I am shocked to my core about the abc interview, but I find the vitriol of the comments on their Facebook page absolutely appalling. The things they are saying about his beloved MFC is truly abhorrent. Surely they broke their bail conditions to film these interviews. In hindsight it might have been better if they had of been held on remand and not out running amuck.

I genuinely feel they knew the odds were stacked against them evidence wise . I think this could have been plan all along . Wouldn't surprise me if they have done a whole range of prerecorded interviews to garner support on the Dv narrative and try to get an appeal with backing of more Americans. I mean I think if I had just watched that show alone without knowing anything else I'd think they were not guilty either . Shocking that it's allowed at all

Exactly, probably the defense strategy in the long run, they had no defense, they are going to try to work an appeal, although I don't know how they would do that.

NOW we know the answer to our questions about why SM never left the basement. Molly said that she believed that her father told her mother to stay in the room with the dogs. Very unusual to tell your wife to stay put if something so bad is happening upstairs that the G-man had to take a bat. Well that answers that, TM obviously thinks he is "righteous" because he made sure he protected the dogs that night. What a farce the whole TM family wants us to believe. Thank God for the jurors who were not outwitted. They used the evidence to determine the verdict.

I am going to watch the show when it is available online next week just for the sake of hearing her say that about the dogs. There's a foundation of truth in every lie, and I think her mother probably was told to stay downstairs with the dogs... which would suggest an element of premeditation. Why would you think to keep the dogs out of the way unless you were worried they'd protect the "wrong" person or alert outsiders to the incident? I don't think their appeal efforts will go very far.
Also, I would love to see their statements analysed by a statement analysis expert. From the little I've seen of their interviews (and know about the process) I picked up a lot of "tells". For example, "the next thing I remember" is a sign that you are aware you are omitting details. You remember what you remember. Also "I don't know/ don't remember why I did that" - (Tom closing the door) - If you remember doing something, you can remember why you did it. If someone says to you afterwards, why did you close the door, you either don't remember closing it (maybe someone else closed it, maybe it swung shut) or you remember you did it and you remember why. Even if you lose your keys and find them in an odd place afterwards, you can piece together what you did for them to land there.
For anyone outside US who is interested in watching the 20/20 program, I went on their site and you can watch it online one week after the broadcast. You can watch it earlier if you sign in to their website etc, but I will wait.

<modsnip>Since it's snipped, my comments are about Sharon Martens-

Unfortunately, I don't see her as being quite that passive/submissive. She knew what was happening upstairs, & chose to be out of it. She had cellphones, knowledge & backstory, & yet, she didn't go up (or did she?), stayed down w/ the dogs, didn't go up to the 'grandchildren'. She's trying to stay invisible, but her actions speak for themselves.

Perhaps I shouldn't judge, I don't have a bipolar child that I have tried to deal with for over 30 years, but the thing that stands out to me-if your child has these problems, why would you let them fly overseas & watch someone else's children? Right after being discharged from a psychiatric unit, to being responsible for infants.

I guess it's easier than dealing with them at home, but that is totally irresponsible & harmful & (thinking that you are better than other people & that your family deserves passes).

<modsnip>Since it's snipped, my comments are about Sharon Martens-

Unfortunately, I don't see her as being quite that passive/submissive. She knew what was happening upstairs, & chose to be out of it. She had cellphones, knowledge & backstory, & yet, she didn't go up (or did she?), stayed down w/ the dogs, didn't go up to the 'grandchildren'. She's trying to stay invisible, but her actions speak for themselves.

I don't think the incident conveys that she was passive or submissive even if (I think I'm quoting correctly) Molly said SM was "told" to stay downstairs. In this situation, staying downstairs with the dogs showed that she played an active role as a participant. I don't believe MM and TM were trying to protect her - I think they were trying to balance out the story to make it plausible. Two people against one and no call to the police could possibly have sounded plausible (not in this case, but it's possible) but three people against one, and nobody could run to a phone is just too implausible. So they had to subtract one person completely from the story.

I don't think the incident conveys that she was passive or submissive even if (I think I'm quoting correctly) Molly said SM was "told" to stay downstairs. In this situation, staying downstairs with the dogs showed that she played an active role as a participant. I don't believe MM and TM were trying to protect her - I think they were trying to balance out the story to make it plausible. Two people against one and no call to the police could possibly have sounded plausible (not in this case, but it's possible) but three people against one, and nobody could run to a phone is just too implausible. So they had to subtract one person completely from the story.

Its still not really believable. If he was that worried that he went upstairs with a baseball bat, why wouldn't he tell his wife to call the police?

Its still not really believable. If he was that worried that he went upstairs with a baseball bat, why wouldn't he tell his wife to call the police?

Absolutely! I think the problem for the Martens is that their lies kept painting them into a tighter corner. They'd make up one lie, and it just created a new scenario for people to say "But why...?" So they'd come in with another lie, and then another lie. Ultimately, the blood and injuries spoke the truth and nothing they can say contradicts it.

Well, if they were trying to make SM minimal in the activity of killing her SIL, they worked it. But the facts remain, she was onsite, she knew the situation (whether it was Molly's situation or something else), she was downstairs while the killing was going on over her head. You have to wonder what the other kids in the family think about what their parents have done for Molly-

Absolutely! I think the problem for the Martens is that their lies kept painting them into a tighter corner. They'd make up one lie, and it just created a new scenario for people to say "But why...?" So they'd come in with another lie, and then another lie. Ultimately, the blood and injuries spoke the truth and nothing they can say contradicts it.

Yes. Another thing spoke the truth too - by the time the paramedics got to the house Jason's blood was congealed and his body was cold to the touch. They waited, with a dead body in the house, for around an hour before they rang 911. That's not a family who had just fought an attacker to the death, that's a group of murderers getting their story straight and setting the scene. That little fact alone tells you all you need to know.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarti
Back