11-16-12 Nancy Grace mysteries, What happened to Hailey Dunn

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that anyone believes that she had planned to overnight somewhere. That is what she told SA, or what he understood her to be saying (assuming that SA is being truthfull). Her actual plans may have been quite different though. She would have been under no obligation to tell him the truth. Based on what everyone has said about the family dynamics it is pretty clear that she largely came and went as she pleased with little parental oversight.

If SA is to believed, she left in a hurry soon after he arrived back home, which means that she would have been improvising on short notice and therefore would not have thought about what all she would take with her. So her not taking a jacket or her MP3 player would be understandable.

Now, if we can figure out WHY she left in a hurry, we will probably be on a solid road to deducing what happened to her.

BBM- That is the reason I cannot say with 100% certainty, that Hailey died in that home at the hands of Billie and Shawn.

Billie struggled with the question "who did Hailey normally tell, when she was going to spend the night away from home".

Billie never made her children her priority; Shawn, money, drugs & sex ...

Don't you think any teenager that was leaving home to go spend a night with a friend would pack her backpack with her favorite items (jacket, MP3 player)???

Even if it wasn't chilly at the time, wouldn't she want her jacket for later?

Just watched this NG special with my dearest momma the other day (fellow Websleuth!)... opinions on NG aside, I have to agree with her when she says those things are telling. My sister is a year older than Hailey would be now, and she would never leave for a friends house without items like that. She would certainly bring her favorite jacket with her and her mp3 player would probably be glued to her ear. She always packs a little backpack of items to take to a friends house, or at least carries a few things over.

However, I have to remember she lived in Texas, just like I do, and jackets aren't really part of anyone's daily attire. Since she disappeared in December of 2010, I looked at the weather for Colorado City, Texas for then from this site:

http://www.clrsearch.com/Colorado-C...12/Weather-Forecast-Temperature-Precipitation

Not sure how accurate it is, but it seems that December temperatures were just like I thought.. lows of 35 F and highs of 65-70 F. To most Texans (not people of the world in general though) I'd say that range would constitute a light jacket, especially for someone who was last seen in a t-shirt. Do we know what this favorite jacket looked like? Was it a heavy, lined jacket, or just a zip up Aeropostale light jacket like we've seen in Christmas photos of Hailey?

if you look back at the various pictures of Hailey during that time, that are available, you will see she was wearing a navy blue Aeropostle jacket in the Christmas pic on the sofa 12/25. In the videos from the hall, the school provided from the week before school vacation , she was wearing a reddish jacket in one view & none in the other view. What appears to be the same jacket, can be seen in a pic where she is with her friend HR, possibly from around that time period also. There might be other pics, but I thought of those right off.

Don't know which is the 'favorite' jacket, but she was definitely choosing to wear jackets some during this time period....as opposed to never wearing jackets. And I believe mom has the reddish one on in the sofa pic.

Her mother can be seen wearing what appears to be the same jackets in videos done after Hailey went missing.

I am going to surmise Hailey did not 'need' a jacket the last time she left that house.

if you look back at the various pictures of Hailey during that time, that are available, you will see she was wearing a navy blue Aeropostle jacket in the Christmas pic on the sofa 12/25. In the videos from the hall, the school provided from the week before school vacation , she was wearing a reddish jacket in one view & none in the other view. What appears to be the same jacket, can be seen in a pic where she is with her friend HR, possibly from around that time period also. There might be other pics, but I thought of those right off.

Don't know which is the 'favorite' jacket, but she was definitely choosing to wear jackets some during this time period....as opposed to never wearing jackets. And I believe mom has the reddish one on in the sofa pic.

Her mother can be seen wearing what appears to be the same jackets in videos done after Hailey went missing.

I am going to surmise Hailey did not 'need' a jacket the last time she left that house.

Hmm, great points. Has it ever been proven that she left the house willingly that day, or if that's just what is claimed by BD & family?

Ballerina, imho no one seems to know if she went any where ...willingly...on any of the days in question...there is only the claim of SA

I used to live farther north than CC, and if the temp was in the low 60's and the wind was 40 mph, it was COLD to me. Yet I saw many younger people wearing t-shirts and no jacket. I saw a few who would wear shorts even when there was snow on the ground. There is less humidity in that part of Texas, I think, so the cold doesn't feel the same as it does here. And teens are resilient, the cold doesn't bother them like it does older folks. I also don't know many teens who plan ahead as far as outerwear. If the weather is nice when they leave home, most of them don't think what it might be like that night or the next day.

As for the mp3, not every teen has them glued to their ear 24/7. Since we really don't know Hailey's habits, how can anyone base a theory on just the fact that she left these items at home? Sorry, but that isn't solid evidence to me.

That's cold to me, too, TxLady2! That's break out the heavy coat and mittens cold :floorlaugh: But there are a lot of people who enjoy the temperature being that low and don't wear a jacket because they like the cool air or because they don't feel the need for one. I guess we'd really have to know Hailey and how she felt about the weather in Texas in order to determine whether her jacket was needed that day or not, just like you said about the mp3 player. We don't know her habits and can't base a theory around those items alone. I totally agree with you there.

With that being said, I still have to at least wonder about the items being left. Perhaps it all suggests that Hailey wasn't planning on leaving for a long period of time. Not hard evidence to any theory by any means, just something to look over. Can anyone remember whether NG was the one who decided that the jacket left was her "favorite" or whether BD said that?

a friend or friends commented on her leaving her favorite jacket- I am sorry I can not provide a link at the moment, it is somewhere in MSM

Whether she took a jacket or not is not the point. My teenage daughters always took a bag to sleepovers..extra clothes, tapes (yes, tapes-it was the 80's), hair products, and any makeup they could sneak..that's half the fun of a slumber party

Whether she took a jacket or not is not the point. My teenage daughters always took a bag to sleepovers..extra clothes, tapes (yes, tapes-it was the 80's), hair products, and any makeup they could sneak..that's half the fun of a slumber party

Hmm, are you saying that it isn't really about the jacket specifically but about the fact that she didn't pack a little bag for her sleepover? Not being snarky at all, just asking for clarification purposes. :)

Also, thanks sreshowtime. I'll look for that statement in MSM. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't on a doomed path by speculating something that was only assumed by NG!

She didn't go on a sleepover, that is just what she told SA. Obviously something happened to her, or she would not have dissappeared.

We also don't know where she normally went on her roundabouts. She might well have had items stashed away at another location. For example, she frequently overnighted at her fathers house. That means she allmost certainly had stuff, such as clothing and whatnot, stored there.

If she was running wild and living something of a secret life she wasn't telling anyone about, then she may well have had similar stashes elsewhere. Not taking anything with her doesnt mean much, she may have known that she would have what she needed at where ever it was she was going.

The only thing she might not have anticipated is not coming home.

I just get this bad feeling that there are people in this story (not BD or SA) who know things that they are not telling. And you have to wonder why. There is just too much stuff that doesn't add up. This is not saying that they had something to do with what happened, but they know something and for whatever reason are not talking about it.

Try looking at this story from another direction. I know that most of you believe that SA did it (whatever it is). My view is that there is no evidence to support that, while there is evidence to the contary. Until I see actual evidence implicating SA I am not going to change that view. We can have differing opinions, that is OK. So, getting past that, let us assume that what SA said happened when he returned to CC is true. What would that imply? How would her behaviour fit in with what we know?

She didn't go on a sleepover, that is just what she told SA. Obviously something happened to her, or she would not have dissappeared.

We also don't know where she normally went on her roundabouts. She might well have had items stashed away at another location. For example, she frequently overnighted at her fathers house. That means she allmost certainly had stuff, such as clothing and whatnot, stored there.

If she was running wild and living something of a secret life she wasn't telling anyone about, then she may well have had similar stashes elsewhere. Not taking anything with her doesnt mean much, she may have known that she would have what she needed at where ever it was she was going.

I just get this bad feeling that there are people in this story (not BD or SA) who know things that they are not telling. And you have to wonder why. There is just too much stuff that doesn't add up. This is not saying that they had something to do with what happened, but they know something and for whatever reason are not talking about it.

Try looking at this story from another direction. I know that most of you believe that SA did it (whatever it is). My view is that there is no evidence to support that, while there is evidence to the contary. Until I see actual evidence implicating SA I am not going to change that view. We can have differing opinions, that is OK. So, getting past that, let us assume that what SA said happened when he returned to CC is true. What would that imply? How would her behaviour fit in with what we know?

BBM

Except that there is no evidence that Hailey was 'running wild' or had a secret life. None at all. In fact people say quite the contrary. If anyone had a secret life and was running wild it was Billie, not Hailey.

I'm still a fence sitter and have always tried to look at other possibilities. What bothers me the most about Adkins are his lies. Perhaps he was covering up something that had nothing to do with Hailey's disappearance such as drugs or *advertiser censored* or whatever but I find it highly suspicious that he quit work that morning and lied about it, his cell phone pinged at the home shortly thereafter when he said he wasn't home (again lie). Did he lie about Hailey saying she was going to a friend's house? If he lied about everything else, it would appear he lied about that as well.

As for Billie, I don't think she's involved but I think there is a lot more she's not saying. Perhaps she doesn't want to look like the bad mom that has been portrayed in the media but who cares what people say about you when your little girl is missing? I would come right out and say, I'm a crappy mom but I didn't harm my daughter.

JMO

BBM

Except that there is no evidence that Hailey was 'running wild' or had a secret life. None at all. In fact people say quite the contrary. If anyone had a secret life and was running wild it was Billie, not Hailey.

I totally agree. There is no evidence to suggest she was running wild or had a secret life. However, I don't think these kids were supervised. Wish we knew how many times Hailey had sleepovers without anyone even noticing she was gone.

What a sad mess this case is.

~n/t~- thx for pulling the article re the Jacket- that is one of them

for those that watched- tell me if I missed something- when Nancy was questioning Billie about sleepovers, who Hailey would tell, were parents aware, etc....and Billie was fumbling, oops, discussing that, did Billie segue right into talking about the polys without any prompt from Nancy??
Did I blink?

I can't remember seeing that footage first time around, I couldn't recall this....

I didn't watch but here is the transcript, FWIW:

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

GRACE: Billie, when your little girl would go for a sleepover, didn`t the family typically know she was coming?

DUNN: She usually asked me first and then would ask the other family. Sometimes she would ask them first. I thought, yes, they knew she had intentions of spending the night. They should have known.

GRACE: So was there ever time a time she took off for a sleepover without Marybeth`s family or you knowing?

DUNN: No. I always knew where she was. If she had been at a friend`s too long and not asked to spend the night, I did get ahold of somebody.

GRACE: SO Billie, is this the first time she has ever gone away for a sleepover without asking you specifically?

DUNN: She`s left notes or -- no, she`s let us know.

GRACE: I`m talking about you. Did she always tell you, her mother, that she was going to go spend the night?

DUNN: Well, no. Usually, she if stayed somewhere, it was with Clint and she would tell David or Shawn, if mom was at work, Let Mom going to -- I plan on spending the night with So-and-So.
I don`t know. They had me very faithful in that test. We brought the polygraph up first. We asked for it. And they told us they were very confident in those tests. They -- I put a lot of confidence into those tests. The first Friday, they had it set up for us to take, we had taken Ativan the night before to go to sleep. They didn`t tell us we couldn`t have anxiety medicine.

So when we were able to get it set up again, Shawn had actually called them and asked them if he could come down and take it yet, and they said, yes. They came, picked him up. He took his. I went in. They told me he failed it. I lost it, of course. I told him I had so much faith in that test.

Then they took me over to the courthouse. I took a polygraph test. I failed it, lost all faith in the test. A couple of other people failed it. One guy, I do not know. One person took it three times, took it...

GRACE: Let me ask you this, Ms. Dunn.

(CROSSTALK)

GRACE: Who administered the polygraphy to you? Who was it?

DUNN: His name was Matt, and I believe --

(CROSSTALK)

GRACE: Was it the local police, the FBI? Was it the Texas Rangers?

DUNN: No, he`s a polygrapher that came from Big Spring, out of town.

JOSTAD: Billie Dunn told the Nancy Grace show that she failed a polygraph test. Police say that what actually happened is they didn`t reveal the results of those polygraph tests to anybody that takes a polygraph test. They said they didn`t tell the mother she failed.

We do know that, according to reports and information, allegedly, the first time that Billie Dunn went to take the polygraph test, they couldn`t administer the test because she was under the influence of some sort of medication or drug. She says that she did take anti-anxiety medications right after Hailey disappeared in order to deal with all that was going on.

The second time, Hailey`s mother says she was told that deception was indicated on some of her answers regarding Hailey`s whereabouts or Hailey`s disappearance. She says she was very nervous taking those tests, and she again has always denied knowing anything about what happened to her daughter.

GRACE: We know that Shawn Adkins attempted three polygraph exams. On the first two of them, he got up and stomped out of the police department. On the third polygraph, he was found to be deceptive right off the bat, in the initial stages of the poly. That`s what was reported.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1211/16/ng.01.html

**** by me.
The end video clip tags are missing here so on the basis of this transcript you can't tell if there is editing where I put the asterisks and if this was actually two video clips instead of one.

However, googling the text I came up with another transcript which makes it clear that it was two clips and NG's question about the polygraph was edited out in this version.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1101/06/ng.01.html

GRACE: Joining me right now, special guests Billie Dunn. This is Hailey`s mother. And let me tell you something. Before you judge her too harshly for failing that polygraph, she`s the one that volunteered to take the polygraph, all right? She asked for the polygraph. She is the one that called us and said, Hey, I flunked the poly, and then I was questioned for 10 straight hours.

Also with her, Clint Dunn. They are separated. They`re in the middle of a divorce. They`ve been apart for three years, and they are united tonight in the search for their daughter.

Billie Dunn, thanks for being with us. What happened in the polygraph?

BILLIE DUNN: Thanks for having us again. I don`t know. They had me very faithful (ph) in that test. We brought the polygraph up first. We asked for it, and they were told us -- they told us they were very confident in those tests. They -- I put a lot of confidence into those tests.

So, Billie's polygraph talk was a logical response to the question she was asked, the flow of the conversation in the latest show just seems to make no sense because of the random videoclip copypasting they do at NG's.

thank you donjeta for taking time to find that...and bringing it here for clarification:)

Mary Beth Garcia, her mother said, had visited the Dunns’ home overnight.

“My daughter, I let her visit her and spend the night,” she said. “And the last time I did, I didn’t like it, because I heard they were walking the street with other kids”

Garcia said she never let her daughter spend the night at the home again.

Later, she said that her daughter told her that Dunn had expressed a desire to move in with her birth father, which Garcia said her daughter indicated led to a family altercation around Christmastime.

Donna Byerley met Hailey her through Byerley’s boyfriend, who had once dated a relative of Billie Jean Dunn. She described the girl’s home life as “volatile at times.”

Byerley characterized the 13-year-old as not getting along with her mother’s boyfriend, and Hailey herself as always wandering “here and there,” coming and going largely “as she pleases.”

But rather than a little girl lost, Byerley painted a picture of a compassionate person, whether it was taking care of a mutual friend or a family pet, a girl who remained “very much an individual,” with an honest style of communication whether talking about school, family or friends.

Dunn has stayed with Byerley and her boyfriend off and on, including the last two weeks of the previous school year, Byerley said.

“That was the school year that I think she started in Colorado City, went to Snyder a month or so, and then back to Colorado City,” she said.

“The last few weeks, perhaps month, she was living with her Dad because she doesn’t like the boyfriend,” Byerley said, referring to Adkins. Her mother’s new relationship, and worries that it was preventing her parents from being together, served as a partial catalyst for Hailey’s difficulties with Adkins, Byerley said.

Billie Jean Dunn said she met on the social network site MySpace.

“I know he yelled at her,” she said of Hailey’s relationship with Adkins, though she said she knew of no accusations of physical or other abuse.

In public statements, Billie Jean Dunn has said that while Hailey initially had issues with Adkins, she had warmed to him as time went on.

http://m.reporternews.com/news/2011/jan/08/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
I wanted to bring up the fact *again*, that Hailey had never stayed the night with MBG previously. But MBG had been to Hailey's home and also spent the night.

Was she the only friend who had been to Hailey's home? It always seemed strange to me, that in all the interviews, Hailey's social life has never really been demystified, all the comments made by Billie have always been so vague. No other friend or parents of a friend, (that I have seen) has ever stepped up and said anything about Hailey spending the night with them or vice-versa.

Was MBG the only friend which came to mind for Shawn Adkins? The only one who's cell phone number was easily identified on Billie's phone? The only friend they knew with any certainty was home during the Christmas holidays and not out of town?

Things that make you go hmmnn ...

“That was the school year that I think she started in Colorado City, went to Snyder a month or so, and then back to Colorado City,” she said.

Thank you, Knox for posting this. I thought I had read everything written in MSM about hailey, but I have never seen this article.

I had been told by a school teacher that Hailey changed schools 3times in one year, but I never repeated because I had no proof. This article supports that.

Just a few weeks ago, Billie was adamantly stating on fb that hailey had never lived with anyone but her.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500