2007 Church Yearbook Ranks Largest Denominations

LovelyPigeon said:
Then there's the teachings of free will, predestination, and dispensationalism...

I'm happy to discuss the former, but there aren't enough "rolls eyes" emoticons in the universe to enable me to tackle the other two. :cool:

LovelyPigeon said:
I can understand that, Nova! It's a world onto its own!

Like Dungeons and Dragons, to which such creeds bear a striking resemblance.

narlacat said:
That is true.

Still, I feel a bit bit sad for Athiests- how very unimaginative of them lol

And who wouldn't want to believe in life after death :confused:
I'd think that people who have had a hard painful life might be delighted to think it's game over at the end of this one. I'm not saying this drives most or even the majority of Atheists, but it makes sense to me.

If the vast majority of what you've known of life is misery and suffering, why would you want more of that?

I only know two Atheists personally, and they strike me as reasonably happy and moral people. Both actually consider themselves to be spiritual beings on a spiritual path, they simply do not believe in the existence of a supreme deity.

On the subject of Free Will, I tend to think in terms of karma. Perhaps that's a different way of envisioning Heaven, Hell, Purgatory which I consider to be immediate states and not ever-afters. I do not believe in a God that would abandon any soul to eternal damnation, but I do believe our choices matter presently and eternally - to us as individuals and to the human race as a whole.

When I was younger, I definitely learned to "act right" (not sin) to avoid negative consequences (parental punishment which represented Hell, Purgatory to me). But that perspective changed for me over time. Now I try to act right not to avoid punishment, but to get the good stuff - a closer relationship with God, myself and others and a belief that the loving choices I make help the World on levels of which I may not even be aware.

Today, I make a conscious effort not to murder or cheat on my spouse or steal,etc.. not because I am afraid these actions will land me in jail or my soul in Hell, but because I don't wish to reap what these actions bestow.

Nova said:
You're just repeating yourself now, DK, not responding to anyone's arguments against this overly simplified concept of freeedom.

This ain't catechism, my friend, it's WS!
I'm repeating myself because those facts remain the same and there are no good arguments to refute, my friend. The views some of our posters of free will are simply wrong, in my humble opinion, and are a crutch to justify moral relativism. No one has to believe me if they don't want to, lol. We'll find out in the end, I reckon. ;)

IrishMist said:
Concepts of right and wrong didn't just come from your book and your religion, DK. And those are not the only places to find them.
You are correct, Moses brought them forth long ago via the 10 Commandments. As did others in the earliest days of God's people. So I give Judeism (sp) the original credit. :)

Dark Knight said:
You are correct, Moses brought them forth long ago via the 10 Commandments. As did others in the earliest days of God's people. So I give Judeism (sp) the original credit. :)
As did others before that. The concept of good and bad does not begin and end with the Bible, IMO.

IrishMist said:
As did others before that. The concept of good and bad does not begin and end with the Bible, IMO.
No doubt about that - many religious and non-religious writings that deal with morality pre-date the Bible. The Code of Hammurabi and The Bhagavad Gita to name two such works.

IrishMist said:
I mentioned everyone having a spark of awareness of God upon birth so it is possible that people have an inherent goodness to them, but it doesn't come from man. Man's self preservation instinct is too strong to come up with a new concept by itself, and man goes for the path of least resistance more often than not, which is proven by moral relativism to this day.

I mentioned everyone having a spark of awareness of God upon birth so it is possible that people have an inherent goodness to them, but it doesn't come from man. Man's self preservation instinct is too strong to come up with a new concept by itself, and man goes for the path of least resistance more often than not, which is proven by moral relativism to this day.

Oh, really? Check out this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/20/science/20moral.html

Scientists note rudimentary morality in other primates. Next we'll have monkeys going to mass. (Narlacat, shut up!)

You are shifting the comments to God, whereas I was talking about the Bible.

I never mentioned the Bible, you did, as usual. Bible attacker!

Re-read some posts, DK. I didn't attack it. I merely pointed out that it is not the only place to find concepts of good and bad.

I never mentioned the Bible, you did, as usual. Bible attacker!

You mentioned the 10 commandments, DK. Maybe you meant the Comix Illustrated version. IM just assumed you meant those in the Bible. :D

You mentioned the 10 commandments, DK. Maybe you meant the Comix Illustrated version. IM just assumed you meant those in the Bible. :D

LOL! The Jews don't use our Bible or even call it the Bible, for example, yet the 10 commandments are theirs originally, was my point. This is where tunnel visions get you folks in trouble. :crazy:

I'm just happy WS is back, and really lost interest in arguing with you to for the time being, lol. So I am gonna go play in the nice happy threads. :cool:

LOL! The Jews don't use our Bible or even call it the Bible, for example, yet the 10 commandments are theirs originally, was my point. This is where tunnel visions get you folks in trouble. :crazy:

I'm just happy WS is back, and really lost interest in arguing with you to for the time being, lol. So I am gonna go play in the nice happy threads. :cool:

Aw, Deek, this doesn't count as an argument! Gentiles often use the word "Bible" to include the Torah, even knowing that the Torah and the Pentateuch aren't precisely the same.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back