2008.07.15 Revisiting the 911 Calls

I still cut Cindy some slack on the events of that night. While we now have them laid out, analyzed, dissected, etc... she was living them in the moment.

Without a doubt she knew something was very wrong when they found out about the car but I do not think she believed in that moment that Caylee was dead, let alone at Casey's hands.

I do believe she picked her up with the intent of forcing her to produce Caylee. Called the police with the intent of scaring Casey. And then when the nanny story came spilling out I think the third 911 call was made in a moment of pure panic and the comment about the smell came tumbling out as she processed all of the info.

I don't condone how she handled it before the calls, during the calls, or after... I just don't think she was in cover up mode at that moment. I don't think it had sunk into her how bad things were at that exact moment.

Upon realizing Caylee could not be produced Cindy did exactly what Casey did not do. Call the police in a sheer panic. Once the reality set in she went into cover for Casey mode full bore.
Cindy told, more than one co-worker that day, about the terrible smell coming from Casey's car. I believe the co-workers told her she should call LE. Cindy told them that she was going to give Casey a chance to explain. They knew she had not heard from Caylee in a long time, and they put two and two together. Cindy knew Casey was all right, thus her comment about letting her explain. Where else could the dead body smell have come from, other than the Grand child she hadn't heard from in a month ? I just find it impossible to believe that she didn't know, somewhere in her mind, that Caylee could be dead.

Cindy told, more than one co-worker that day, about the terrible smell coming from Casey's car. I believe the co-workers told her she should call LE. Cindy told them that she was going to give Casey a chance to explain. They knew she had not heard from Caylee in a long time, and they put two and two together. Cindy knew Casey was all right, thus her comment about letting her explain. Where else could the dead body smell have come from, other than the Grand child she hadn't heard from in a month ? I just find it impossible to believe that she didn't know, somewhere in her mind, that Caylee could be dead.

I get that. I really do.

Having been through the real life experience of having a family member brutally killed at the hands of another I guess I have to cut her some slack for how surreal it is and how fast the reality you knew is changing from moment to moment.

In our situation most everyone knew immediately what had happened and who the attacker was. There were others though that were perfectly rational functioning adults who refused to acknowledge it. From the outside it appeared to be too enormous for them to absorb at one time, so they dealt with the reality that we had a murder victim while clingy irrationally to the idea that there was another explanation, and then later accepted the inevitable conclusion that their father/brother/friend for 30 years was not only capable of beating his wife to death but had actually done so.

A little irrationality is understandable under the circumstance. She may have known something was wrong but wanted Casey to provide an explanation that didn't involve Caylee being tied to it. She sounds like she is in a real moment of panic in the third call to me. (of course my mother was a severe borderline personality so Cindy's behavior doesn't seem unexplainable to me either). Thank gawd for therapy!

moo

Rev, you bring up some good questions here.

IMO, Cindy didn't report the smell in the car until she had the "nanny took Caylee" story from Casey (third 911 call). Prior to that, it was about the car, theft...I believe Cindy had a good idea from the smell, and not seeing Caylee for a month, that there was a big problem, early on. She didn't want to tell LE about her real fears, she was protecting Casey. She was trying to control LE just like she likes to control everyone else, using the calls to make Casey talk.

The third 911 call where Cindy says "the car smells like a dead body", was only after she had a suspect to give LE, Zanny. She knew about the smell before 911 call number one, she chose not to mention it until the "baby sitter stole Caylee" story was available. All my opinion only.

(bolded by me)
Precisely - You explained it perfectly -

I want you to test out your bionics on the 2nd 911 call. Sounds like KC doesn't want to talk to them...I'd like to figure out exactly what she says in the background right around 3:33. [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UodiwWf7fHw[/ame] TY

What tape are we referring to. Hubby swears I have Bionic ears & I can hear it snow. Point me & tell me where to listen pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

I wish we had an audio expert on the site, all I can make of it is that Casey is irritable that she is being asked to come to the phone- it sorta sounds like 'What do they want me for' but I have listened a lot and it doesn't get any clearer to my ears.

I want you to test out your bionics on the 2nd 911 call. Sounds like KC doesn't want to talk to them...I'd like to figure out exactly what she says in the background right around 3:33. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UodiwWf7fHw TY

I listened to it and I couldn't tell what Casey was saying. I have heard other references to this particular phone call to 911 and people saying that Casey said 'why do they want to talk to me?' right as the phone is being handed to her. Could this be what Casey is saying? I couldn't make out anything Casey was saying until she actually got on the phone w/the operator, but I just wanted to pass along what I had heard.

Interesting that CA told dispatch she had not seen Caylee since June 7.

I wish we had an audio expert on the site, all I can make of it is that Casey is irritable that she is being asked to come to the phone- it sorta sounds like 'What do they want me for' but I have listened a lot and it doesn't get any clearer to my ears.

I always thought that was strange too. However, maybe since she had just told the newly minted Imaginanny story, she figured she had already passed the baton to the person who was really interested in finding Caylee - CA and that she just didn't need to bother repeating it for some silly dispatch person. After all, LE was on their way over to see them in person and CA could meet them at the door and explain she had just overreacted and it was no big deal really because all KC really needed was one more day...

3rd 911 Call placed
http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Sidebar/2008/7/24/transcript_of_second_911_call_from_cindy_anthony.html

This is the transcript of the second 911 call from Cindy Anthony on July 15.
Dispatch: 911. What’s your emergency?
Cindy: I called a little bit ago. The deputy sheriff ‘s (inaudible). My granddaughter has been taken. She has been missing for a month. Her mother finally admitted that she’s been missing. I want someone here now.
Dispatch: OK, what is the address that you’re calling from?
Cindy: We’re talking about a 3-year-old little girl. My daughter finally admitted that the babysitter stole her. I need to find her.
Dispatch: Your daughter admitted that the baby is where?
Cindy: That the babysitter took her a month ago. That my daughter’s been looking for. I told you my daughter was missing for a month. I just found her today, but I can’t find my granddaughter. She just admitted to me that she’s been trying to find her herself. There’s something wrong. I found my daughter’s car today, and it smells like there’s been a dead body in the damn car.
Dispatch: Ok what is the 3-year-old’s name?
Cindy: Caylee. C-A-Y-L-E-E Anthony.
Dispatch: Caylee Anthony?
Cindy: Yes.
Dispatch: OK, is she white, black or Hispanic?
Cindy: She’s white.
Dispatch: How long has she been missing for?
Cindy: I have not seen her since the 7th of June.
Dispatch: What is her date of birth?
Cindy: Um, 8, 9, um, oh god, she’s 3. 2005. So it’s Caylee missing? Caylee’s missing! Casey said Zani took her a month ago. She said that she found, um ….
Dispatch: OK, I understand. Can you just, can you calm down for me for just a minute? I need to know what’s going on, OK? I’m gonna try and …
Cindy: We’re so worried we can barely keep still. (sobbing)
Dispatch: Is your daughter there?
Cindy: (in the background) I’m on the phone with them.
Dispatch: Is your daughter there?
Cindy: Yes.
Dispatch: Can I speak with her? Do you mind if I speak with her? Thank you.
Cindy: (in the background) I called them two hours ago, and they haven’t gotten here. Casey finally admitted that Zani took her a month ago. I have to try and find her.
Dispatch: Ma’am, Ma’am.
Cindy: (in the background) Casey. Here, it’s the sheriff’s department. They want to talk with you. Answer their questions.
Casey: Hello?
Dispatch: Hello.
Casey: Yes
Dispatch: Hi. What can you, can you tell me what’s doing on a little bit?
Casey: I’m sorry?
Dispatch: Can you tell me a little bit of what’s going on?
Casey: My daughter’s been missing for the last 31 days.
Dispatch: And you know who has her?
Casey: I know who has her. I’ve tried to contact her. I actually received a phone call today. Now from a number that is no longer in service. I did get to speak to my daughter for about a moment, about a minute.
Dispatch: OK, did you guys call and report a vehicle stolen?
Casey: Um, yes, my mom did.
Dispatch: OK, so there’s been a vehicle stolen too?
Casey: No, this was my vehicle.
Dispatch: What vehicle was stolen?
Casey: Um, it’s a ’98 Pontiac Sunfire.
Dispatch: OK, I have deputies on the way to you right now for that. But now your, now your 3-year-old daughter is missing? Caylee Anthony?
Casey: Yes. Caylee Marie Anthony.
Dispatch: White female.
Casey: Yes, white female.
Dispatch: 3 years old? 8/9/2005 her date of birth?
Casey: Yes.
Dispatch: And you last saw her a month ago?
Casey: 31 days. Um, 31 days.
Dispatch: Who has her? Do you have a name?
Casey: Her name is Zenaida Fernandez-Gonzalez.
Dispatch: Who is that? The babysitter?
Casey: She’s been my nanny for about a year and a half, almost two years.
Dispatch: Why are you calling now? Why didn’t you call 31 days ago?
Casey: I’ve been looking for her and have gone through other resources to try to find her, which is stupid.
Dispatch: OK, can you, can you give me the name of the nanny again? Like spell it out for me?
Casey: Zenaida Z-E-N-A-I-D-A
Dispatch: Last name?
Casey: Fernandez.
Dispatch: Fernandez?
Casey: Fernandez-Gonzalez. I think the officers are here.
Dispatch: The officers are there?
Casey: Yes.
Dispatch: OK, hold on for a second. Don’t hang up with me yet. OK

what pissses me off more, the fact she cant remember the last time she saw caylee, or she cant even remember when she was born. :(

I suppose what comes to my mind, is that Cindy seems to be using 911 as though it's a call that would intercede for her parenting skills with Casey. In otherwords, IF I had given or loaned my car to my daughter for years ......without any issues (payng for car insurance and occasionally knowing she runs out of gas, and knowing she even uses gasoline cans from my shed)........not really pleased that she's irresponsible this way, but yet taking the responsibiity myself for KNOWING "how my daughter is" ........but still letting her have this car for her use.

THEN, I call 911 - when my daughter won't do my bidding, and ask the operator to send a detective to sort it out rather then family court or a family intermediary ?

Seems to me, putting myself in her place, I'd have asked a lawyer or priest or a family counselor type of help before thinking of calling 911 if there is trouble communicating with an errant daughter. Remember too, she drove Casey to the Police Station, but they were already closed, so here she sits in a car with a daughter she wants the police to dictate to and be the substitute parent?

Why call the police to report her as having "stolen" the car I've been letting her drive all these years anyway?
\
Makes no sense to me, other then the obvious, she knew in her heart that Casey put the child in danger but needed a 3rd party to intervene and get Casey to admit to this. HOWEVER, IF this is the case, then why did Cindy do a turn around, with a family support system afterwards for months suggesting Cayley's disappearance was Zanny the nanny and even others perhaps, unnamed who had Cayley?

Just seems rather strange all around, the parenting part. Giving more credance to Casey's assertions.

You get upset with your errant daughter, so you call the police on her?

I never did this, but perhaps you or others have? And believe me, I've been upset oftentimes with my children growing up, and even as adults.

I suppose what comes to my mind, is that Cindy seems to be using 911 as though it's a call that would intercede for her parenting skills with Casey. In otherwords, IF I had given or loaned my car to my daughter for years ......without any issues (payng for car insurance and occasionally knowing she runs out of gas, and knowing she even uses gasoline cans from my shed)........not really pleased that she's irresponsible this way, but yet taking the responsibiity myself for KNOWING "how my daughter is" ........but still letting her have this car for her use.

THEN, I call 911 - when my daughter won't do my bidding, and ask the operator to send a detective to sort it out rather then family court or a family intermediary ?

Seems to me, putting myself in her place, I'd have asked a lawyer or priest or a family counselor type of help before thinking of calling 911 if there is trouble communicating with an errant daughter. Remember too, she drove Casey to the Police Station, but they were already closed, so here she sits in a car with a daughter she wants the police to dictate to and be the substitute parent?

Why call the police to report her as having "stolen" the car I've been letting her drive all these years anyway?
\
Makes no sense to me, other then the obvious, she knew in her heart that Casey put the child in danger but needed a 3rd party to intervene and get Casey to admit to this. HOWEVER, IF this is the case, then why did Cindy do a turn around, with a family support system afterwards for months suggesting Cayley's disappearance was Zanny the nanny and even others perhaps, unnamed who had Cayley?

Just seems rather strange all around, the parenting part. Giving more credance to Casey's assertions.

You get upset with your errant daughter, so you call the police on her?

I never did this, but perhaps you or others have? And believe me, I've been upset oftentimes with my children growing up, and even as adults.

I don't think Cindy was trying to parent Casey. I think she was trying desperately to force Casey into telling her where Caylee was.

I don't think Cindy was trying to parent Casey. I think she was trying desperately to force Casey into telling her where Caylee was.

There's no question she was definately trying to force her daughter into telling her....and was extremely frustrated by Casey's lies. Yet, I don't "get" why the Anthony family seemingly, through Cindy gathered forces around her to then hamper the investigation when they finally realized, the Zanny story would remain the "story" with Casey?

She had already told her mother the Zanny the nanny story all along.

Why then, have the Tee Shirts, the various functions for fund raising and pointing of the finger towards people outside the family or outside of Casey?

Why "pretend" to then believe every word that Casey uttered?

That's very inconsistent behavior exhibited by the parents imo.

I can then find some empathy in my heart for the daughter and her mental state.

Not blaming anyone here, other then the daughter for the death and the lies, yet we cannot say the family had been exhibiting consistency in their behaviors when the chips were down, what about the rest of the childhood?

Didn't this actually hamper the Police in their investigation being told to look elsewhere for the culprit?

My husband reminded me about our neighbor, a grandmother and grandfather who also conducted court room sessions in their home with police in and out all the time as the grandfather was a fill -in judge (his brother was the full time judge).......and I suppose a way to make money in his home.

Whenever they'd get upset with the granddaughter and she didn't tow the line, they'd then call the police to handle her.

Strange we thought then.

Their own daughter who abandoned this girl, they thought the world of and never said one bad word about her, only good. They adored her but the granddaughter the daughter left with her to raise, they had serious ongoing problems with, all about discipline.

Personally, we didn't see much wrong with the girl other then being abandoned by her mother, not seeing the father, extremely overweight (fat farms they sent her to once a year) and lonely.

Today I listened to the calls again as they were played in court. I had forgotten the part where Cindy says, upon George coming into the room, that Caylee is missing and it is so desperate. So raw, and scary. I imagine she was beside herself at that moment. I imagine she was on the edge of the place she then kept herself from via denial for the next 2+ years.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back