2010.03.18 New High Powered Attorney Cheney Mason Joins DT *MERGED*

Status
Not open for further replies.
J. Cheney Mason......The Secrets of Milloionaire Solos
http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:2lwn7aoPISYJ:www.abajournal.com/magazine/article/the_secrets_of_million_dollar_solos/+j+cheney+mason+and+strategies&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

KNOW WHAT’S NECESSARY

Today, Mason and his attorney tenants work in class A space on the 21st floor of an Orlando office building. And though they have completely independent practices, they all have trusted colleagues whose brains they can pick and to whom they can refer cases.

Mason scoffs at attorneys whom he believes waste money on their image. “I’ve been a mentor for many young lawyers for several decades,” he says. “Some are too concerned about their image early on, going out and leasing an expensive car so they can appear successful.”

I have no doubt Cheney Mason is a character in the courtroom. It is irritating to me that he speaks like a good ole boy and asserts entitlement in an off-hand manner. "I want to try this case because it is fun"....yuck. During the hearing he claimed several things that were not relevant to the matter at hand. He is a crafty one. He will do this at trial and confuse the facts in a big way. I have never ever liked this man's personality. He always defends the slime of the earth and it is his persona that they should be acquitted. Whatever his clients did is always "no big deal" to him.

Every defense attorney is looking for aquittal, you cant change the facts no matter how good you are.

31 days
baby dead
evidence all leads to one suspect

Whew! Cheney Mason is going to bring major experience to Casey's defense. He may be a bit hard of hearing, so at least that may keep everyone from speaking softly in the court hearings.

I'm nervous about this. JB is now in the background. We did not see pitbull KB, the tone has changed.

So, come on now, spill, what are your thoughts on today's hearing?

Clearly you must think the new defense attorney is a huge bonus for the the defendant. He looks more than competent.

Still a circus, just a different ring leader :)

Perfect analogy.

eta: LOVED your link in re. Determination of Indigent Status! Something tells me we will be revisiting that soon enough. ;)

I think Mr. Mason is the best shot there is at a plea deal.

Interesting look back in time:

<snip>
POSTED: Thursday, November 20, 2008
UPDATED: 6:36 am EST November 25,2008
If the case did get to a jury, Pipitone asked Mason if he thought her attorneys would put her on the stand.

"Knowing what I know at this time, there's not a snowball's chance you know where I put her on the witness stand," Mason said.

"Why is that?" Pipitone said.

"Well, because there's so much to cross-examine her about," Mason said.

"Do you just say, 'The defense rests.' Don't even put on a defense?" Pipitone asked.

"There's a good chance that would be the case," Mason said.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/18025942/detail.html

========================

<snip>

Friday, January 23, 2009 12:23:04 AM

Cheney Mason has practiced law in Florida for nearly 30 years. He's been on several high-profile cases, including the Lisa Nowak case.

News 13 asked him about paying for a defense of this magnitude. Mason said Baez might be thinking more about notoriety than a payday.

"There's some lawyers that take cases when they can't get money simply because they want the free publicity. They think it’s going to have people to storm the doors to hire them," Mason said.

To give an idea of how much trials can cost, Mason said he wouldn't consider taking this case unless he got $1 million up front.

http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Local/2009/1/22/new_motion_hearing_scheduled_in_casey_anthony_case.html

WHY!!!!!!!!!??????????????? Why Why Why??!!

What is it about this case that is pulling all these "Pro's"? Why weren't they on Dahmers wagon? Or any other accused killer??

Why?

This is HUGE both in terms of international attention as well as the mountain of circumstantial evidence against KC.

Either way a high profile attorney gets global media coverage, win or lose but also these folks (like me) like nothing better than a major challenge and impossible odds.

It is a refreshing break from their routine, they are self made so money is not an issue and .... this is something to play with, to exercize those little grey cells and, you never know -- they would become infamous if they pull off a break for KC.

I honestly think RH would also take this case in a heartbeat if JB was voted off the circus ring. It isn't about KC although she loves to think that or sadly even Caylee .... that's all lost in the challenge and global attention.

Justice for Caylee.

Wow.. Interesting comments by Cheney in the link Texas Mist posted. Especially the one dated 1/23/09 about the $1 million dollars.

I would love to know exactly WHEN Mason 'came on board'. Didn't JB get the basic info about the new information this week? Wondering if that sent him scurrying off to Mason's office? I can see someone like Mason taking on this case just for the challange of trying to salvage it. He is going to have to do some fast talking to explain his January 09 comment about not taking this case unless.........

I was not impressed by Mason at all. I thought he was rude with JS and tried to interrupt constantly. When asked by reporters why he took the case his explaination was that it was going to be fun and then when asked wasnt he close to retirement he answered, "yeah this is going to help me". That tells me he expects money of some kind at some point in this case (especially after the comments he made early on about this case). I still strongly feel there is some kind of big payout planned at the end of the case if they can get KC a not guilty verdict.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592