2010.05.10 - Casey Anthony Motions Hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think is because JB hopes they, the jury, WILL LIKE HIM more! Cubans do tend to do this...stereotype another Cubans as being more trustworthy and smart than an "American." IDK why that is :waitasec:

I don't think its just a "Cuban" thing. LOL. I think we all tend to trust those that are like us. Maybe JB thinks he can field a jury that will like him. The problem is can he convince them to like a baby killer? (if proven)

I don't have the exact stats...I guess someone may look those up. But politically, Miami Republican conservative, catholic. They may dress liberal, but that's where it ends. IMO. (I'm first generation, miami born cuban :)
JB IS Cuban. He may have grown up in Puerto Rico, like many other Cuban immigrants but he is as Cuban as I am. Not that it matters but I think this is why he wants Miami.
And you are right, Hispanics do not like to be grouped together but then who does? But again, I think JB is hoping for "those" cubans that may do this stereotyping and like him. MOO

I thought JB was born in Puerto Rico.
http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/may/03/casey-anthonys-lawyer-jose-baez-rejected-florida-b/
From article:
"Born in Puerto Rico in 1969, Baez told reporters he grew up in the Bronx and South Florida with his mother, a single parent. He dropped out of Homestead High School in ninth grade.
He married at 17, became a father, earned a GED diploma and joined the Navy in 1986 "

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2009/may/03/casey-anthonys-lawyer-jose-baez-rejected-florida-b/
From article:
"Born in Puerto Rico in 1969, Baez told reporters he grew up in the Bronx and South Florida with his mother, a single parent. He dropped out of Homestead High School in ninth grade.
He married at 17, became a father, earned a GED diploma and joined the Navy in 1986 "

That's what's in the article, but I doubt he lied on his marriage license when he said he was born in New York. I think he wants people to think he was born in PR! Perhaps he thinks this makes him seem more "ethnic".

A question about Miami for those in the know please?

(a quick nod in cecybeans direction about the post above me, wel said thanks)

Q:What is the majority of that city? Liberal or conservative? Of those perspective jurors (jury pool) that would be considered KC's peers what is their views?

I live in a city in a very conservative state however given the demographics this particular city is very liberal. One of the most liberal and progressive in that manner that I've seen.

If the viewpoints of the town are more liberal to moderate then I would suspect he is looking to use those demographics for jurors because many (not all, but many) of those people that are more liberal to moderate are opposed to the death penalty.

Just a thought.

What kind of sentences do Miami jurors hand down for Mothers that murder their children? If we see a more reserved sentencing within that county without looking at the particulars in this case but look instead at the nature of the crime. I wonder what kind of climate it is in Miami towards young women that kill their children. (not just murder).

IMHO this isn't as simple as ethnicity of jurors and the defense attn. I can't see where that comes into play. He's not Cuban. (at least I don't think he is?) Most Latinos don't like to be lumped as a whole into the word "hispanic" and prefer to identify with their (or parents, grandparents...etc) originating country and there can be a lot of tension between the different originating countries (Cuban VS. PR, or Mexican VS. "fill in the country").

All just my opinion. I tried my best to use general terms and to not sterotype and encompass all people in the statements I made above.

Here's a great wealth of info....
http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/12000.html

2) Do the Anthony's realize how pathetic they are making themselves look by going to every hearing and desperately seeking KC's attention. It is now written proof that she told fellow inmates that her father molested her and that her mom even blamed her for the fact that her brother did! The fact that they (especially GA) seem totally ok with this is just disturbing to say the least..

Snipped by me

I think this can be answered with a simple they love her. When all is said and done they must still love her. I don't begrudge them their love for Casey. I think it must be hard for any parent to just stop loving their children. But that doesn't mean you have to condone or look the other way when they do something wrong.

I've said all along this case wouldn't be the circus it is now if the A family just simply said we love our daughter and our granddaughter. And left it at that. It's the lying and covering up that so many people have a problem. Certainly in my mind and many others it seems that they have forgotten their granddaughter for the sake of their daughter. And that just doesn't sit well with me.

From article:

I was born in Miami... but both parents were cuban imigrants...I knew he was Cuban the moment he spoke...the accent. Just like Richard from lost...he is cuban too :)

I respectfully disagree. That may be true when doing private business amongst themselves - and that "good old boy" mentality pervades many immigrant or ethnic or cultural groups, (even demographics who have been here longest) often those who have been taken advantage of before they are fully assimilated or ones who are not confident of moving in different cultural circles yet. Heck, the whole "carpetbagger" mentality was used by Southerners to stereotype Yankees (and vice versa) for years,, whether justifiable or not. Much of the Latino community in S. Florida is very established and second or third generation.

However, I've noticed that many assimilating minorities are harder on those of their own in high visibility jobs in which that individual's performance may reinforce negative stereotypes of their group by others. I doubt that JB's smug attitude has done anything to endear himself to the Latino community in South Florida, and his lack of respect for the court may earn him their ire. As a demographic, they tend to be conservative, and nothing this man has done has cast a good light on his forebears. I wouldn't count on partiality being any kind of factor, although I suppose JB is. I saw the look on the man who testified at the one hearing (his name escapes me now) who was Latino, and he did not appear overly impressed with J. Baez Esquire.
Cecy,
I need whatever brain food you're using. A lot to think about and very nicely said.
I think wherever the jurors come from ,we can count in JB pizzing them off.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ3GkpoXCqQ[/ame] a good interview about fusion and casey . pics of dress - this is not good for defense. they say she was happy and fine--oh boy how can they hide all the past pics and youtubes? can not!!

I, too, am not understanding the references to "To Kill a Mockingbird" and the desires to align his case with any minority gender/race. Last time I saw Casey she appeared to be a Caucasian female. Neither of those classifications is a minority (IIRC, 100% of mothers are female). Is he trying to inject his minority status into the equation? If so, I certainly don't think that should be a factor!!!

Wondering if what he was attempting to do in identifying with TKAMB and Atticus Finch in particular is kiss up to JP by implying that he (Baez) is not only not racist but a strong advocate against discrimination (to label LDB's remark about KC being 'scantily clad' in some photos 'sexist' was ludicrous, IMO. And he was really getting worked up about it too!) I also think it was a "Hey Judge, you and me, as minorities, have to stick together, <wink, wink.>" I honestly can't think of any other reason he would have made that ridiculous comparison. Again, JMHO.

I think you were talking to me. I think the Judge disqualified himself. We all have to deal with it and pick up the pieces. That being said, its a new day a new Judge, so lets go over the old motions and get back to where we were, so we can move on. I support it, I am very happy with this Judges way of recovering something that was completley out of control. IMO

Fair enough. Thank you for the response...

Wondering if what he was attempting to do in identifying with TKAMB and Atticus Finch in particular is kiss up to JBP by implying that he (Baez) is not only not racist but a strong advocate against discrimination (to label LBD's remark about KC being 'scantily clad' in some photos 'sexist' was ludicrous, IMO.) I also think it was a "Hey Judge, you and me, as minorities, have to stick together, <wink, wink.>" I honestly can't think of any other reason he would have made that ridiculous comparison. Again, JMHO.
And even more so than being simply ineffective ~ but insulting instead, right?

I am only 11 minutes into watching the hearing and I can say "Now I understand" the Quite Frankly comments....I believe he's already said it 5x thus far.

And even more so than being simply ineffective ~ but insulting instead, right?

I think this explains Mason's seeming patience and affability. CM won't have to wait to long for JB to have his foot so squarely in his mouth he won't even be able to address His Honor as "Quite Frankly, Judge" without choking on his own socks.

His argument was that it was essentially the same media market. BUT.....I can say that when I visit in that area........the coverage is almost non-existent and that I have to rely on my laptop to get any updated info. It is it's own media market not the "same" as JB would like everyone to think.

He just wants what he wants and will whine about any other options. If he had been a wee bit more discrete about his "complete, and quite frankly obsessive desire to hit the Miami scene" he may have been better equipped to argue his "reasoning".

You are so right about the media coverage. I am about 50 miles south of Tampa. Last weeks trial was not covered by our local TV news and the newspaper had a small 3 one inch paragraph article on page 5 of the local section. Not headline news. Again, she is just another young mom who killed her baby. Another thing that bothers me is that she was not that young of a mom. Lots of folks have babies at 19 after high school. To me a young mom is 15 or 16 and still in school (hopefully) just one of my pet peeves from JB.

I am only 11 minutes into watching the hearing and I can say "Now I understand" the Quite Frankly comments....I believe he's already said it 5x thus far.

I have to say though..........I'll take 379,254 "quite frankly's" over 10 ummmmmmmmmmms ANYDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least "quite frankly" means something......(when used properly) :innocent: .

Yes,after TM declared in court that the defense had evidence that proved KC was innocent the SA filed a motion requiring the defense to provide that discovery .The court ruled that the defense had until last February to comply. The defense did not provide that discovery.
Surely you recall that?

We were talking about reciprocal discovery. thanks

I think LB's comment was regarding the "BEFORE" photos--prior to June 15. The question is, why does the jury need to know that Casey partied before June 15? The answer is, well, it depends what the defense plans to argue. If they say Casey was "super mom," always with Caylee unless she was "working," in which case she (reluctantly, and with sad mommy tears!) allowed Cindy to watch her, then the State should be able to show that (1) she was never working lol, and (2) she wasn't doing anything else too important during the times she left Caylee with Cindy, either.

Another example: if the defense plans to say that Casey couldn't possibly have murdered Caylee so she could be free to party because Casey didn't even LIKE partying :innocent: but would rather read classic novels, then the State should be able to show that Casey was no stranger to the world of partying.

Example #3: if the defense plans to say that Casey was a sweet young mommy until Caylee was kidnapped/killed by ZFG and/or her nefarious associate or nemesis RK, after which her entire personality changed and she began "UGLY COPING," the State should be allowed to show that Casey was ugly long before she had any reason for coping.

I agree, the b4 photos are relevant.
There is a big difference when comparing working night shift Mom's from ones that are playing beer pong. Hangovers for one thing!

I believe George made references to making breakfast for Caylee "as usual" and "to be frank" I think the partying pics prior to Caylee being murdered will be an important building block to show what ICA's priorities were.

This was brought up long ago, but show me the pics of Caylee with ICA at Disney or a park or a childs play area at Mcdonalds even or anything outside of the weird silent movies we have seen from inside the home.

How's this for fair play. For every picture Jose can show Caylee in pictures enjoying life outside of the confines of the Anthony home, one party pic must be removed from being shown to the jury.
Sounds fair to me!

JP Get to the point Mr Baez
Baez "I apologize for Not being as focused or making some of my arguements clear to your Honour"

he was trying to say that he did not want to bring jurors into the atmosphere of this court but to take to case to Miami (and only Miami. boy he really WANTS MIAMI, he tries to cover up with South Florida jurisdictions..but it's Miami he wants IMO)...using to Kill a Mockingbird as an example

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea