2010.05.11 - Casey Anthony Death Penalty Motions Hearing

Status
Not open for further replies.
snip and bbm

Good point, mgardner, but since when has Casey ever cared about how other people's money gets spent? lol

At least Huckaby, as vile and horrid as she is, had the decency to plead guilty and spare the taxpayers, Sandra's loved ones and all the Attorneys a gruesome trial.

It's pretty sad when the character of Melissa Huckaby rises to a level higher than Casey Anthony, isn't it?

Her point is that she hates that truth, just as she hates the truth that Casey murdered Caylee.

I have to laugh every time Baez or Lyon refers to their dislike of blogs or the 'net in general since Baez and Lyon both widely broadcast their "use of the Internet in their quest to fight cases."

Both Baez and Lyon just hate the fact that the 'net and Freedom of Speech is one thing they just can't control. :D

Yes, plus if there was a sequestered Jury listening to those comments they would have just had a great introduction to Miss Anthony's reputation. By her own Attorney, no less.

There is much more to the concept of justice and that first sentence in its totality than that which you have summarized. That is why I have been searching for the SAs Policy Manual, which lays out much more directly those concepts you have listed. Thank you for that information though :)

I believe your question was: "what the job of the SA actually IS".

*I* didn't list anything. The information came directly from the link provided in answer to your original question.

Happy to help! :)

I think part the point of that sentence was that the SA bases their pursuits on different factors than who pays them, as do defense attorneys. If a prosecutor knows a person is innocent, they are not supposed to prosecute, unlike a defense attorney who must provide a defense whether or not someone is guilty.

It is my understanding that SAs also get paid per case....will link that when I come back across it as I was JUST reading about this very topic strangely! SAs also need to worry about reelection, whereas the defense does not :)

Isn't this case Caylee vs. Casey? I am really asking. I truly thought the SA fully represented the victim. As much as the defense is defending their client and is "for" them, the same is to be said of the SA and their client.

I am learning as I go, and not stating I have facts. I mostly get this impression from watching Forensic Files, American Justice, The Investigators, etc. Also, that is how it is always portrayed on the lawyer shows i.e. L.A. Law, Cold Case, etc.

TIA.

To make sense of my post here...Amil called the ladies behind the defense, Andrea's ladies-in-waiting. LOL.

Maybe like me, it made you picture ALyon(s) and her "flock" in the "frocks" of Shakespearian times. Ah yes, the Taming of the Shrew! :crazy:
:eek:

It is my understanding that SAs also get paid per case....will link that when I come back across it as I was JUST reading about this very topic strangely! SAs also need to worry about reelection, whereas the defense does not :)

As State employees, surely they are salaried.

Egads, I’m so embarrassed, I’m from Albuquerque, NM, lived here my entire life, and I have never heard of this person Elizabeth Rapaport. I guess just a nobody trying to make a big name for herself.

Justice for CAYLEE.

Were you there today Muzikman? If so did anything in particular stand out for you?

Yes...

Haven't re-watched the hearing yet, so I don't know if this was caught on camera or not: After the so-called "expert witness" brouhaha and the missing CV that Andrea supposedly sent, she went over to Ashton and whispered while shrugging her shoulders and raising her eyebrows "I swear I sent it."
Musta been parcel post instead of overnight. :crazy:

Ashton's two phrases were great.

Thought I caught Andrea saying something about "Not as familiar with Florida Law", will have to re-watch.

Joy Wray showed up about 9:20 - came in with Cheney Mason (???) and Hornsby followed a couple minutes later, and stayed for the whole hearing.

No Conway today, musta been with George. heh

Anybody catch the name of the book Andrea referenced? Something about "_______ the Stranger"?

Anybody figure out who the other lady is, the one that sat next to Casey while they were doing the sidebar?

That's about it for now...

I watched the hearing while I was attempting to cook this morning and just reviewed the raw video.

My personal observations of ICA "tears" were tears for herself. The first batch was a repeat of prior hearings where she "shed" a few. Wipe, wipe, lookie, lookie, grab a tissue, wipe, lookie, wipe, wipe, lookie-lookie. She only wears mascara so she is able to actually view a black "tear" on the tissue.

She exhibits "normal" responses only when she is told to do them by JB or AL(s). She exhibits her anger when the current situation isn't going her way, i.e. getting red in the face, grabbing her hands/fingers. That is when her emotions are real for her. Then she moves on to responding when told to again by either JB or AL(s).

She was, I feel, pondering whether Jeff was going to do a repeat of how the state believes Caylee was murdered by ICA when AL(s) was giving her speech on the states lack to inform the defense on the whys and wheres the DP came about. She was sweating bullets and swallowing hard on that one.

It's all about ICA, no one else. She had to wear the same clothing as yesterday. She had to be in a chair in a court room where she didn't want to be. She had to acknowledge CA when she didn't want to. She had to shed tears on demand. She was forced to perform, not by her choice.

There is much more to the concept of justice and that first sentence in its totality than that which you have summarized. That is why I have been searching for the SAs Policy Manual, which lays out much more directly those concepts you have listed. Thank you for that information though :)

Well considering that Florida was the first state to add victims rights to its state constitution and that the State Attorneys office has a Victim Witness Services division. Also considering that Florida statues have an entire chapter in their laws devoted to victims of crime. Well I would say it's a safe bet that one could interpret the SA as being a voice for victims in a criminal matter.

Link to SA office and Division of Victim Services:
http://sa18.state.fl.us/vicsvcs/vicwit.htm

Link to Florida Constitution regarding victims rights:
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?Mode=Constitution&Submenu=3&Tab=statutes#A01S16

Link to Florida statutes on victims of crime:
http://www.flsenate.gov/Statutes/in...tm&StatuteYear=2006&Title=->2006->Chapter 960

Yes...

Haven't re-watched the hearing yet, so I don't know if this was caught on camera or not: After the so-called "expert witness" brouhaha and the missing CV that Andrea supposedly sent, she went over to Ashton and whispered while shrugging her shoulders and raising her eyebrows "I swear I sent it."
Musta been parcel post instead of overnight. :crazy:

Ashton's two phrases were great.

Thought I caught Andrea saying something about "Not as familiar with Florida Law", will have to re-watch.

Joy Wray showed up about 9:20 - came in with Cheney Mason (???) and Hornsby followed a couple minutes later, and stayed for the whole hearing.

No Conway today, musta been with George. heh

Anybody catch the name of the book Andrea referenced? Something about "_______ the Stranger"?

Anybody figure out who the other lady is, the one that sat next to Casey while they were doing the sidebar?

That's about it for now...

Albert Camus - "The Stranger"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Stranger_(novel)

Defense lawyers don't have to get elected but they sure do have to get hired. :)

Baez has bigger things to worry about than any silly election, like whether or not he's going to retain his Esq. title when this case is over.

I'm thinking not so much. ;)

ITA 100%! That's what the State seemed to be trying to get across when cross-examining this witness and saying her testimony is irrelevant. They aren't arguing that she's a "bad mom" because of being "scantily clad" or having party photos. The photos only come into play because of WHEN they were taken, and what they depict..not a mom out having a good night while sweet baby is at home with the grandparents or a babysitter or daddy..but a mom having a blast despite the fact that her child is "missing" (deceased). And said mom having not reported to the police as to the well-being of the child, and going about partying anyway - leads most to believe this was a homicide - not an accident - and done so with the hopes of no one finding out what happened. IMO.

call me biased, as my opinion on casey's guilt is no secret, but if I were the state, I would also argue that the 'before' pictures are relevant in that they show a pattern of behaviour consistent with what casey was doing AFTER caylee went 'missing', thereby negating any defense attempt to claim that casey was simply engaged in 'ugly coping'. Rather, the pictures show that for casey, it was 'life as usual' after her daughter went missing.

notice in my argument I didn't say anything about her character or her manner of dress, just that the photos show a pattern of behaviour, without making any judgments whatsoever on the nature of that behaviour.

I believe your question was: "what the job of the SA actually IS".

*I* didn't list anything. The information came directly from the link provided in answer to your original question.

Happy to help! :)

I was referencing your summarization wherein you stated:

"The first sentence says it all.

Seeking justice for an innocent two year old murder victim. That's about as pure as it gets."

I am very thankful for the information and links you posted of course. I was merely pointing out that it is my opinion that the SAs job is to seek justice. Sadly, the notion of justice encompasses MUCH more than the the victim, in this case Caylee :(

I will assume that there is no such thread here. I think it would be helpful for others to understand the roles of key players and certain procedures within the judicial system. This may make the coming trial a little less emotionally charged I think. JMO of course...lol..maybe one day I will start a thread in here somewhere :innocent:

Why does this particular issue keep coming back up? (RE: Why DP was put back on the table)

JA laid out the State's theory in open court on a silver platter for crying out loud! Is it just that the defense wants it in writing?

Many, including AL, are pretending to forget that whole speech from JA, that one could conclude that poor Caylee may have looked into the eyes of her murderer, that being her own mother, as she was suffocated via duct tape and restrained by physical and/or chemical means.

How could you forget it?

ETA: I'm sure this was addressed. I read through some of the thread, but it was the part that bugged me the most during this hearing. The state has said plainly what route they are going. Does the defense need their hands held?

Bugs me too, bigtime ... the defense claims ignorance as to the state's aggravating circumstances yet the following motions were filed last November:

Motion to Declare Section 921.141(5)(d)Florida Statute and/or the Section 921.141(5)(d) Standard Instruction Unconstitutional Facially and as Applied and to Preclude their Application (The capital felony was committed during … aggravated child abuse)
Motion to Declare Fla. Stat. 921.141(5)(h) and/or the Standard (5)(h) Jury Instruction Unconstitutional Facially and as Applied (The capital felony was especially heinous, atrocious, or cruel)
Motion to Declare Florida Statutes 921.141(5)(I) Unconstitutional and to Preclude its Use in the Present Case (The capital felony was a homicide and was committed in a cold, calculated, and premeditated manner without any pretense of moral or legal justification)
Motion to Declare Florida Statute 921.141(5)(L) Unconstitutional Facially and as Applied, and to Preclude its Use in the Case at Bar ((l)**The victim of the capital felony was a person less than 12 years of age)
Motion to Declare 921.141(5)(M) Unconstitutional Facially and as Applied (Victim Vulnerable Due to Age, Disability, or Familial or Custodial Authority(*The victim of the capital felony was particularly vulnerable due to advanced age or disability, or because the defendant stood in a position of familial or custodial authority over the victim)

So, again, if they have NO IDEA why the death penalty is being sought, why, oh why did they file motions BEFORE the state informed them ?????

I'm thinking the defense is looking for a much more detailed list of factors including the evidence the state will use to argue them .... which is the part I don't get ... isn't the state just being made to list the aggravating circumstances they intend to prove ???

Her point is that she hates that truth, just as she hates the truth that Casey murdered Caylee.

I have to laugh every time Baez or Lyon refers to their dislike of blogs or the 'net in general since Baez and Lyon both widely broadcast their "use of the Internet in their quest to fight cases."

Both Baez and Lyon just hate the fact that the 'net and Freedom of Speech is one thing they just can't control. :D

BBM

But they try anyways, don't they? :crazy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members