2010.06.04 ~ Why won't Misty take a plea deal?

Bolded by me:

I understand that you can not force Ronald or Tommy to give a statement about the HaLeigh case. They can legally maintain the silence. Also I do not believe that any information regarding HaLeigh Cummings has any thing to do with the drug case. They are separate cases.

I will make a couple of phone calls and find out for sure it what I think is correct here in Florida.

ps. I wish anyone could force these 3 players to talk but you can't.

You are correct. You cannot force them to answer any questions re: Haleigh. It is a 5th Amendment right against self incrimination. So they could plead the 5th instead of answering. That is the point. If they don't have anything to hide, why take the 5th?

In a deposition, you can plead the 5th on some questions and answer other questions. However, in a trial, once you plead the 5th to a question, you have to plead the 5th from then on. You cannot pick and choose.

Maybe she just plain doesn't know anything. If she was set up by the Cummings clan, she may be totally in the dark.

Aren't they talking about the charges for dealing which has nothing to do with Haleigh? It seems that she isn't being offered a plea deal on the dealing charges. If she doesn't get some kind of a deal she will be going to trial for the drugs and Haleigh won't even enter into that trial.

I don't think any of these players have been offered a plea deal. It is understood if they tell where Haleigh is, they may get out (I assume).

R * M are deciding what to do and who is going to talk first. It should be interesting because dollars to donuts rc won't say a word till he figures out what misty is saying. At this point it looks like a race...misty is winning. Rc has now got to change his court date for trial or talk. I don't anticipate him talking unless somebody involves him....then he will sing like the canary we know he is. Will misty talk? That is the big question.

Just like everyone, I'm weary. If they don't talk, it is over for quite awhile till one of them gets fed up.

Yep, misty knows her options...looks like she doesn't care.

One thing to consider is that Misty has some supporters. There are many citizens who feel a bit sorry for her because in their minds she is RC's victim. There are a number of Misty followers who may believe she really was sleeping when Haleigh went missing.

Even though the jury will be hearing evidence on the drug case only, it is difficult in most people's minds to completely separate that from Haleigh. And juries are made up of citizens who are no better or no worse at looking at the situation than we here at WS. And here at WS, there are a number of opinions re Misty's guilt or innocence, and the victimization issue is a yes for some of us and a no for others of us.

Fields is well aware that Misty has some citizens on her side, and also that many citizens do not agree with the mandatory sentencing laws. With this, Fields may believe a jury trial is Misty's best option for the lightest sentence, so they may actually take this all the way to trial. She might even be found Not Guilty, even in the face of all the evidence---stranger things have happened.

I would like Misty treated fairly on these drug charges, but I do hope she is not acquitted or is not found Guilty but given only a slap on the wrist--mainly because if that happens we might never find out what happened to Haleigh.

Yep--I must admit I cannot totally separate the two cases.

personally, I don't think Misty killed Haleigh, but LE sure acts like they do, & I'm to the point with LE, that I think even if it's proved that Misty is innocent, it won't really matter to them. I think that they want her, one way or another, & there's no way, they'll give her a decent deal. It's my opinion, that her lawyer has a good chance of convincing a jury of entrapment, & bringing in extenuating circumstances. There's a lot to work with there.

I agree. I fear LE in Putnam County is so adverse to punishing Ron for anything, they are unable to look into anything else. MOO

well, the logical reason would be because Ron has something on Misty in the Haleigh case, but to believe that, we'd have to believe that he has been covering for Misty, & I'm not sure I can go there.

If Ron had anything on Misty, he, TN, and GGS would have burned her at the stake already. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sassyfox
Back