2010.09.03 - Kaine assures Skyline Parents their kids are safe.

Slight OT but.. my kids are in the PPSD. There was a heavy police presence at the school today. Now this is partly due to making sure people weren't speeding in the school zones, but the cops were walking up and down the sidewalk out front - so it's not as though they were actively radaring drivers. I just found this interesting. I heard another mom ask one cop if they'd be there daily but of course the answer was no (I didn't expect a yes, Portland Police just do not have the resources for that).

Are they beginning to think it was a stranger abduction? Or looking for the possibility of a 'copy cat' crime?

Were I a parent of a Skyline student and the principal called a meeting and reassured me that my kids were safe, I'd think: of course he'd say that, he's affiliated with the school. If LE reassured me my kids were safe, I'd think: I bet you'd have said that on June 3, 2010, too. If the father of the missing child appeared and said he felt the school was safer than it was when his own child was abducted, I would think that he was the only one with the same skin in the game as the other parents, worried and scared victims.. I'd be more reassured, even if logically the principal and LE had more authority for pronouncing the school safe.

I don't know why Kaine said that, but from his other statements I'm led to believe he said it because he believes it's true. And truthfully he may have said many things IN the meeting (where press was asked not to come) that we know nothing about, and just made the loyal pro-Skyline statement to the reporters afterward. They needed to print something about a meeting they weren't attending, so they ran with whatever statement Kaine was willing to give them.

Are they beginning to think it was a stranger abduction? Or looking for the possibility of a 'copy cat' crime?

Standing there today, waiting for our kids to be dismissed, I told my husband and a couple of friends of ours - "This is all just to make us parents feel better" and everyone agreed. It was merely for show for the most part, not that I didn't appreciate it (always have, as people tend to speed past our school if the police aren't there).

Standing there today, waiting for our kids to be dismissed, I told my husband and a couple of friends of ours - "This is all just to make us parents feel better" and everyone agreed. It was merely for show for the most part, not that I didn't appreciate it (always have, as people tend to speed past our school if the police aren't there).

But what is the point of the police showing up in force for one day? I don't get it...

But what is the point of the police showing up in force for one day? I don't get it...

Well, as I said, part of it is normal - people aren't used to school zone restrictions (20 mph) being enforced, since we just had three months of no school. People typically drive 30-35 through most areas around schools around here, and if they kept that up during school hours - it's a $251 ticket. So, it's pretty normal for police to be populating the school areas heavily the first couple of days for that reason alone.

But myself and others noticed a lot more police today, and not just sitting in their cars as they typically do, but walking around. We agreed, as I said above, that this was due to Kyron and to make us, the parents (maybe the children as well), feel better. Not totally for "show" but maybe just a bit. ;)

I hope I explained that better. Sorry.. :blushing: I am terrible at explaining things as you can obviously see. :/

Back to topic.. I didn't mean to take this thread OT. :(

Sounds like it was for show to me...if they don't plan to be there everyday...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Val in PA
Back