2010.11.03 Bone Recovered

Status
Not open for further replies.
While there's no joy in the thought of LE finding any bone of Zahra's - whether a complete small bone or large bone - the Baker's stories will be exposed for what they are...there's no way for them to explain how Zahra's "puberty" or being sick for 2 weeks with "a virus" would cause her bone & prosthetic leg to be found...EB already said she lied about the ransom note.

Tick Tock - I sense it won't be long before they're really scrambling.

Don't know if this makes a difference. Would parts of a dismembered body. take an arm bone, decompose faster than a body left intact?
Just answered my own question, googled this, and yes dismembered parts will decompose faster than if a body is left intact.

I know this sounds disgusting but it occurred to me that after they did what they did with Zahra's remains they divided them between the car trunks and went their separate ways, dispersing them over a wide area so as not to arouse suspicion. I apologize for being so graphic. :sick:

yes, I'm afraid little Zahra is everywhere from neighbors garbage, in the woods,maybe woodchipper..........and you may be right on the 2 cars and 2 different directions.
AB should have to search for his daughter!!!!
IMO, AB knows where he put Zahra.
and EB does know her part also!!!

During the search yesterday, another piece of EVIDENCE was found.
Anyone hear what that was?
IIRC LE said it is NOT a bone, but I wondered what it was to say evidence???

I missed that. :( Is there a news article you're referencing?

I know this sounds disgusting but it occurred to me that after they did what they did with Zahra's remains they divided them between the car trunks and went their separate ways, dispersing them over a wide area so as not to arouse suspicion. I apologize for being so graphic. :sick:

OMG thats just so hard to imagine..really, just so bad. This case is the worst I have followed, I cant get over it. :furious:

I missed that. :( Is there a news article you're referencing?

bethiek posted in another thread about hearing it on local news

[ame="http://websleuths.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5769711&postcount=206"]Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Zahra Baker Search and Recovery Effort and Input[/ame]

Thanks - I was looking for it printed online and couldn't find anything.
Panthera - check the videos about the searches - IIRC I heard it stated there. But don't ask me which one - I've watched so many.

http://www.fox19.com/Global/story.asp?S=13297637
snipped
Investigators say that the bone is not a small piece and is not a chip of a bone, but seems to be a complete bone. Meanwhile, that bone was sent to the NC State Bureau of Investigation lab where tests began Friday.

Tests on the bone are not DNA, officials have said.

Results from the SBI lab may not come through until Monday or Tuesday.

Can someone please enlighten me what exactly does that mean? TIA and sorry if this has been discussed already.

PrinceSSa,
I am thinking bone age (if it is a long bone they can xray the epiphyseal junctions to approximate age) and if it is human or not.

moo

Thnx nursebee! But does that mean it is nt being tested for DNA at all or...??

Thnx nursebee! But does that mean it is nt being tested for DNA at all or...??
once the preliminary tests are done it will be sent to another lab for "further testing" which, I am sure, would include dna ((MOO))

they first need to determine:
1)human
s2)sex and approx age

to see if it is even related to the case and warrants further, and much more expensive testing.

MOO

I would think that the chemo drugs that Zahra received would have altered the integrity of the bone itself, wouldn't it? If so, then the tests that determine bone age might reveal these changes, right? And if that can be determined, then it might be a faster way (than DNA testing, which can take a while) to identify with reasonable accuracy if it was Zahra's bone or not. Of course, it would then have to be sent off for DNA testing as well, but this might give LE more answers sooner. I mean, how many chemo-treated child-aged bones do we see hanging around near the prosthetic confirmed to be owned by some other missing child? So if the preliminary tests show evidence of chemo-treatment, that might be enough to charge someone, even while they wait for DNA testing to be done later.

ETA: Did that make any sense, or did I just talk in circles?:waitasec:

I can't believe they do not yet know if the bone is human and even what age, gender and race, etc...

They surely had someone almost on-call for this situation? We've seen DNA matches within 24 hours at times...

D.A. Asks To Speed Up Testing On Evidence In Zahra Case

The district attorney has asked the state attorney general to speed up testing on evidence in the disappearance of 10-year-old Zahra Baker.Some of that evidence includes a mattress unearthed in a landfill and a bone found in a wooded area near where Zahra’s prosthetic leg was found.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/25674300/detail.html

I would think that the chemo drugs that Zahra received would have altered the integrity of the bone itself, wouldn't it? If so, then the tests that determine bone age might reveal these changes, right? And if that can be determined, then it might be a faster way (than DNA testing, which can take a while) to identify with reasonable accuracy if it was Zahra's bone or not. Of course, it would then have to be sent off for DNA testing as well, but this might give LE more answers sooner. I mean, how many chemo-treated child-aged bones do we see hanging around near the prosthetic confirmed to be owned by some other missing child? So if the preliminary tests show evidence of chemo-treatment, that might be enough to charge someone, even while they wait for DNA testing to be done later.

ETA: Did that make any sense, or did I just talk in circles?:waitasec:

imhoo chemo really only would alter the marrow and it's ability to generate new blood cells (thusly the immunosupression that you get with chemotherapy) not the epiphyseal junctions themselves of a long bone. However, we do not even know if it was a long bone that was found at this point....

imhoo chemo really only would alter the marrow and it's ability to generate new blood cells (thusly the immunosupression that you get with chemotherapy) not the epiphyseal junctions themselves of a long bone. However, we do not even know if it was a long bone that was found at this point....

I am wondering if the bone marrow might still be useful for testing since her death was fairly recent. Could the bone marrow show approximately when death occurred? I would think her bone marrow would be 'fresher' than that of a bone that's been outside for a year or more. Anybody know about this?

Investigators wait for DNA results, review and re-evaluate in Zahra case

HICKORY, NC (WBTV) - The Zahra Baker homicide case is inching along, as investigators take a time-out Monday from their active search.

Instead, they are focusing on paperwork which must be done, reviewing and re-evaluating their evidence. Police are also interviewing tipsters.

Meanwhile, District Attorney Jay Gaither said he re-iterated with the SBI Crime Lab the importance of putting a rush on the case. Gaither said that is standard procedure, and something the SBI was doing before he made the request.

Since the investigation began October 9th, Hickory Police have submitted four rounds of evidence to the SBI for processing. In two of those submissions, the first results came back within a few days, the next results came back in two weeks.

The SBI has not disclosed what evidence was tested; however search warrants were executed on the former Baker home, two cars parked in the driveway, and a search was done at Adam Baker's work site during the timeframe evidence was submitted.

The last two submissions were made to the SBI on November 3rd and 4th. That's when police also announced they found a possible bone connected to Zahra.

DNA evidence will likely be the most crucial evidence in prosecuting whoever brought harm to Zahra Baker. The ten-year-old was reported missing October 9th, by her father, Adam Baker.

He's been arrested and since bonded out of jail on unrelated charges. Zahra's stepmother, Elisa Baker is charged with writing a fake ransom note to derail investigators.

DNA evidence can take several weeks or months to process. First, a DNA profile from Zahra Baker must be built, before any potential evidence can be compared.

The fact that it's not clear exactly when Zahra disappeared further complicates building her profile. It's not as easy as taking hair from a brush, when it's not even clear when Zahra lived in the family home on 21st Avenue NW.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13465050

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member